15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, January 1995
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Remedy of Choice
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePublic Land - Originally, all land was public land and the concept had no special name because it needed none.  So long as men moved freely about upon the business of survival, there was no need to distinguish between different categories of land.  There was only the one category. Page 1 BoxEventually, people fenced pastures as early pastoral cultures arose, or planted crops in early agrarian settlements.  When men began to feel protective or possessive about certain pieces of land, and began to control access to and use of that land, then they owned the land.  When that happened, the land became property.  After that, there was more than one category of land.  The remaining public land became discernable as the part that wasn't owned.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRight of Way - I have (rooted somewhere in the past) a right to go my way.  It is my Right of Way.  It is a right to travel, a right to move about.  I don't need to qualify for it, or ask permission.  People have always moved about in their own best interest, and they have done so in spite of all efforts of tyrants to prevent it.  Even today, millions of refugees and so-called illegal aliens continue to do so.  There are very few kinds of people who do not have the Right of Way:  prisoners;  slaves;  the infirm;  and most children, particularly very young ones.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Right of Way exists when people have the ability to travel, when they do so without permission, and when their action is generally or customarily accepted or condoned.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Roads - Any land upon which the Right of Way is customarily exercised is public land.  Indeed, private property will become public land if the Right of Way is customarily exercised upon it.  Such use has always been recognized as necessary, proper, and inevitable.  Throughout history, strips of public land have been preserved for the use of travelers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn times past, various institutions undertook to "improve" the narrow strips of public land thus preserved.  Materials such as gravel, rock, concrete, or asphalt, were placed on top of the public land.  This material was not public land, but was rather the private property of the institution that placed it there.  This continues to be true today
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFraud - As a result of these "improvements", a subtle change in terminology and understanding occurred.  As the public land became buried beneath private property, the concept of public land was quietly replaced by the concept of public property.  However, inherent in the definition of property is the requirement of ownership.  At the same time, a thing that is public cannot be owned, but is the domain and concern of the entire community.  Thus, the very concept of public property is a horrible contradiction in terms.  There can be no such thing as public property.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageToday, most public land is covered by private property in the form of roads.  In each case, this property is owned by a government.  Notice that a government isn't the community.  It isn't the public.  It is a corporation, a body politic, an individual party under the law.  Thus the roads are not public.  They are private property each of which is owned by a government.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageExtortion - Associated with the roads is a set of traffic laws.  These laws were enacted by the parties that own the roads.  However, the owner of property can legitimately regulate only what he owns.  Thus, the traffic laws apply to the roads, but not to the public land under the roads.  Land that is public cannot be regulated by enacted laws, because the legislatures that passed the laws do not own the public land.  Public land can be embraced only by such customs of use as have evolved from antiquity within the community.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, the owners of the roads have arranged their property in such a way as to absolutely and completely obstruct all access to the public land.  They have made it impossible for anyone to exercise the Right of Way upon the public land and have dictated instead that people can travel only upon the private property.  This is an unlawful conversion of the Right of Way into a privilege of use.  Upon that privilege the owners of the roads have placed prerequisites that reduce every applicant into a state of servitude.  Government will admit only two alternatives:  a traveller must either submit to the rules and pay the fees or remain forever imprisoned by the barrier of roads which obstruct his access to the public land.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Remedy - The owners of the roads cannot legitimately regulate what isn't theirs, that is, the public land.  Furthermore, travel isn't a privilege.  It is a necessity of survival.  So long as government forces people to use the roads as the only possible way to travel, then the people have no obligation to the traffic laws because there is no obligation under duress.  Only when the use of the roads is a voluntary choice between alternatives does an obligation accrue.  Therefore, the remedy is clear.  The traveller must neither pay the fees nor acknowledge the traffic laws.  He must exercise the Right of Way and use the public land as if the roads were not there.  If the owners of the roads object, they can remove their property from the public land.  They can put it someplace where it isn't in the way, where it doesn't obstruct the access to the public land, and where it doesn't interfere with the exercise of the Right of Way.  The owners of the roads have committed the violation.  The owners of the roads must yield.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Frontiersman, 435 South White Road
January 1995, Page 1

Page 2 Boxes 1 and 2Sheeple
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn December 8, 1994, a lone man armed with a knife walked through Rackham's in Birmingham, England, slicing people's throats.  According to ITN, witnesses mostly just watched until the cops finally arrived and subdued the fellow.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNow wait a minute.  There was a whole store full of people and one lone man with a knife.  He didn't have a gun.  He had a knife.  I'll admit that a lunatic with a knife can be terrifying, but at the same time I can't help but ask a few questions.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWasn't anybody gutsy enough to throw something at the creep from behind and then run?  There was a whole store full of these people.  They had him surrounded.  There should be lots of hard blunt objects in a department store.  What ever became of the time tested practice of a big gang of enraged townspeople stoning a helpless misfit to death?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'd like to think that people can defend themselves when attacked and that it isn't human nature to just lay there and be kicked until Marshall Dillon comes to the rescue.  Incidents like the one at Rackham's don't bode well for our side.  However, there are also incidents like the one at the State University at Albany, New York.  On December 14, 1994, five of the hostages being held in a classroom by a man armed with a rifle rushed him, disarmed him, and turned him over the police, who had been waiting helplessly outside.  Maybe there's hope.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Page 2 Box 3Gestapo Attack

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn December 20, 1994, a group of U.S. Gestapo officers surrounded a homeless man, Marcellino Corniel, on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House.  The man was in possession of a knife.  A Gestapo officer shot him.  Two days later, Mr. Corniel died of his wounds.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe cops had Mr. Corniel outnumbered and surrounded.  All he had was a knife.  They didn't need to shoot him.  They could have subdued him.  Even if a cop was wounded, so what?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAll police should be absolutely prohibited from ever carrying weapons.  The cop who shot Mr. Corniel should have his trigger finger amputated.  It's time to stop the cops.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Mercymongers
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSometimes the problem with mercy is to distinguish it from cruelty.  Babies are a good example.  When a baby is born with a fatal genetic defect, no price is too high to save the baby.  However, money isn't necessarily the only cost.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe defective baby who doesn't die will live to reproduce.  Will there be, for every such baby saved today, another similarly defective baby in the next generation?  Will the defect occur several times in the generation after that?  How merciful is it to pass on to our children the genetic defects that are being preserved in these genetically defective babies?  The mercymongers are developing fertility techniques that allow infertile women to have kids anyway, thereby passing on to future generations the inability to reproduce.  Maybe the effect is a small one among the greater number of healthy women, but the effect is there.  What level of such accumulating defects can the human race tolerate and still survive?  For decades now, doctors have been unwittingly breeding bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.  Can even a healthy immune system cope with the new varieties of old diseases?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe're healthy today because people in the past didn't pass defects on to us because they died.  Yet the mercymongers of today are leaving our descendants a grim legacy.  It's understandable to avoid grief, but to do so by passing that grief on to our descendants isn't merciful but selfish.  In addition to leaving the people of the future a polluted planet with depleted resources, the "generosity" of today's mercymongers will tend to make those future people weak, infertile, and probably even more helpless than people already are today.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe current objectives of medical technology should be reconsidered in terms of the likely effect on the genetic future of our children.  The assumption that people ought to be preserved from a death that would otherwise naturally occur should be carefully examined.  Considering that overpopulation is the greatest single problem in the world today, the mania for the preservation of life at any cost seems unwise.  Perhaps a more legitimate use of medical technology would be to discover ways to ease the pain, suffering, and fear of a process that is, after all, as natural and inevitable as anything that humans can ever do.  Grief and death cannot be avoided.  The attempt will only insure that our children pay the price for our weakness.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageCross

Eaters of the Dead
a review by Don J. Cormier
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMichael Crichton is one of today's most successful authors.  Many of his novels have been big best sellers — The Andromeda Strain, Jurrasic Park, and Rising Sun being a few of his best known titles.  I would like to review and recommend one of his less well known works — Eaters of the Dead, which was published about 20 years ago.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEaters is an entertaining adventure yarn set in the Dark Ages.  It's hero is a young Moor, a scholarly type sent as an emissary to the Northern barbarians — the Vikings.  He learns their tribal ways, and accompanies their warriors in various battles and excursions.  The last major fight of the tale seems to be against an isolated remnant of the Neanderthal race — the title's "eaters of the dead".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNot only is it a thrilling adventure/science-fiction saga, but the book is also a witty academic satire.  College literature majors will note that the tale's events bear an extraordinary resemblance to those of Beowolf. The format of the work will also seem familiar to students — It's presented as an annotated translation of an obscure Arabic manuscript, complete with an introduction, footnotes, and phoney bibliography.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageClever as these devices are, it's possible that they have discouraged the general public from embracing this work — it may seem like too much work to get to the "meat" of the story.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom a sociopolitical point of view, Eaters of the Dead is interesting because Crichton presents a vivid picture of life in a tribal, semi-nomadic society, during it's early contacts with civilization.  The tribe's customs are barbaric — crude and callous, as judged by the more civilized Moorish observer.  However, the sophisticated modern reader will perceive that, in an environment which lacks bountiful resources, a certain indifference to individual human life helps to preserve the group.  Paradoxically, it may be that the chances of an individual's survival are enhanced by being a member of a healthy, vigorous group.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMichael Crichton deserves considerable credit, not only as an artist who can tap into the mass market, but as a mind who delves into the critical scientific and social issues of our time.

January 1995, Page 2

Snake Bust!  Freeze!!!
Page 3 Box 1by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLest there be any doubt, let me assure you that the Humane Society of Santa Clara County does far more than protect helpless little kittens from nasty old ladies.  It also purveys government propaganda and enforces authoritarian policy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn December 16, 1994, a Humane Society spy purchased a snake that had been advertised for sale in a local paper.  The Humane Society Gestapo then arrested the man who had placed the ad.  His alleged offense was owning an Egyptian Cobra, a mamba, and a rattlesnake.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe KTVU news team interviewed two of the man's neighbors, who'd had no prior complaint against him but were aghast at the idea of poisonous snakes in their neighborhood.  Maybe they were too stupid, or too brainwashed, to figure out that having cops in the neighborhood is far more dangerous than having snakes in the neighborhood.  After all, many more people have been killed by cops than by snakes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suppose the Founding Fathers never dreamed that their creation could get so repressive that the Bill of Rights would need a clause protecting the right to keep and bear snakes.  I'd much rather have the Humane Society in the cages and the snakes loose in the neighborhood.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
My admiration goes out to the courageous people of Chechnya, and to the Russian soldiers who refused to attack them.
Frontiersman

Blind Progress
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor almost 20 years now, I've been using contact lenses.  About 6 years ago, I switched over to soft lenses.  At the same time, since I had recently lost access to certain "benefits" attendant to being employed, I also switched to a different optometrist.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe new optometrist, of course, started out from scratch with a whole new examination.  He announced that my right eye was no problem, but my left eye had astigmatism which would require a special lens.  It turned out to be very special.  He called it a toric lense and it cost about 5 time as much as the right one.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI eventually discovered that high initial cost wasn't the only problem with the toric lens.  Since toric lenses are thinner at one portion of their circumference than they are 180° around (so they always float right side up) they're sort of fragile.  I began to notice that every 6 to 12 months, the toric lens would tear in two.  So, while my $25 spherical lenses lasted for years, the $125 toric lenses didn't last very long.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRecently, my cash flow hasn't been flowing very well.  In April of 1994, my last toric lens tore, and I decided to try an extra right lens in my left eye.  The right lenses are cheap and I had several extras.  Imagine my surprise when it worked.  Not only did it work, I can't tell any difference at all.  Even when I close my eyes alternately, I can see exactly as well with the left eye as with the right one.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy conclusion?  The optometrist is using equipment that is so precise that he's measuring visual differences that are completely invisible to his customer.  If I can't see the difference then there's no difference, by definition.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is another example of why medical treatment is too expensive:  High Tech Overkill.  Technology has gone way too far in a certain direction.  My optometrist's examination machines don't need to be any more precise than the human eye.  Thirty years ago, the National Wildlife Federation said, in another context, "Not blind opposition to progress, but opposition to blind progress".  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not hankerin' fer tha good ol' days.  Dental work without Novocain will cure most folks of that notion.  However, it's way past time for the high tech freaks to learn when enough is enough.  The ability to do something doesn't, by itself, prove that the thing ought to be done.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Buck Hunter shoots off His Mouth
Dear Buck
When's the best time to tell my girlfriend that I've had a vasectomy?
— Don't Know For Sure
Dear Don't Know For Sure
After she sues you for child support.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Page 3 Box 2Frankly My Dear ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe astonishing hypocrisy of the feminist movement is nowhere better illustrated than in the fracas at Texas Women's University (TWU), in Denton, Texas.  After decades of strident females forcing their way into every conceivable male institution, we now have these bitches at TWU lamenting because men have been admitted into their female undergraduate programs.  Here are some of their excuses, as reported, for their current bout of moaning and sniveling:
"Female students say the school provides a nurturing environment for women.  Students at protests have said that not having to compete with or be distracted by men improves their chances of a good education."
— San Jose Mercury News, Wednesday, December 14, 1994
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFeminists have never given a tinker's damn if an all male school provides a nurturing environment for men.  Now they demand a nurturing environment for women in an all female school.  Feminists have never had any sympathy whatsoever for men who didn't want to compete with coeds, or to be distracted by their disruptive presence.  Now they don't want to compete with men or study in the presence of men.  It was feminists who demanded that the sexes are equal.  It's a stupid idea, but I don't recall that they have ever cared what men thought about it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuch inconsistent demands are the hallmark of the feminists.  They never stop nagging 'til they coerce their way into a man's institution.  Then they drive everybody crazy complaining about the way the men behave.  What did they expect in a male institution?  Female behavior?  Then when a man succeeds in getting into a woman's institution, they lack even the modicum of decency to recognize that they're the ones who insisted on equality and that equality cuts both ways.  If they don't like being equal then they should stop demanding it.  After all, it was their stupid idea.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn fact, feminists have never sought equality.  They seek to control men.  With equality as a cover, the movement promotes control.  The program so far has been arrogant and coercive, and has resulted largely in repressed hostility toward women and hidden resentment of their unwelcome trespass into the male arena.  Such warped equality as the feminists have achieved hasn't solved women's problems, but has only transformed them.  It has also transformed the women, to the tragic detriment of us all.  Women should probably go back to making babies and raising families.  That is, after all, their traditional role in nearly every culture on Earth.  As for the feminists, they'll get no help that I can deny them.  If I never have to work around another arrogant feminazi or go to school with another strutting coed, that'll still be way too soon for me.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol
January 1995, Page 3

Return Address 1 Nation in Distress
Swordsman

If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePermission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirity.  Permission is also granted to reproduce material from this newsletter, except for material that has been reprinted from other publications, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
Anybody stupid enough to turn in his gun for a concert ticket is too stupid to have a gun anyway.
Frontiersman

Money (the series):  Federal Reserve Notes
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd now, here's the part you've all been waiting for.  What about real money?  I mean the stuff we all spend every day.  You know, Abraham, Martin, and John, or whoever those pictures are.  Well, it turns out that Federal Reserve Notes are made from a thing that's more durable than ice but less durable than a log, and which can be cheaply manufactured faster than pecans.  It's intrinsic value is difficult to determine.  I suppose it could be used for paper planes or to write messages, but these uses threaten its durability.  It could certainly warm a house, if you had enough of it, but then it would have no durability at all.  If you use it for Kleenex, then folks will probably not want to accept it as money.  There is also some question as to exactly what a Federal Reserve Note really is.  It is, after all, a note .  From whom?  To whom?  Saying what?  So is it money, or not?  Is this what makes the world go 'round?  No wonder it won't buy friends.  I'm amazed that it will even rent companions.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd worse yet, most of the time, we don't even use Federal Reserve Notes.  How are you paid for your labor?  With a check.  Is it money?  No.  It isn't even a Federal Reserve Note.  When you take it to the bank, do you get money for it?  Probably not.  You probably put it in the bank, and then pay your debts with other checks.  Are they money?  No.  Do the people you give them to ever get money for them?  No.  They deposit them.  So where's the money?  A check is a promise to make payment of something, but the only things that change as a result of checks are numbers in a computer.  Now here we go.  Watch this.  A check represents numbers in a computer.  They can be erased in a microsecond, so they're a lot less durable than ice.  They can be duplicated an unlimited number of times, so the supply of them is unlimited.  If numbers are money, then making a backup copy of the data should, in theory, result in 100% inflation.  What an awesome thought!  And do you think numbers, used as money, have intrinsic value?  Well, here are some numbers.  $500,000.  They came right out of my computer.  Go buy yourself a house.

Next Month:  The Thrilling Conclusion
When the peaceful accumulation of wealth is prevented, then the violent acquisition of wealth is promoted.
— October 27, 1994, Milam's Notes
15x15 Page Background GIF Image

Divided United
DIVIDED WE STAND UNITED WE FALL

January 1995, Page 4

PDF Version of this Insert With Links
PDF Version of this Insert to Print
Instructions for using this Receipt and Agreement:
Take this Receipt and Agreement with you when you go to any store that requires customers to leave their bags at the door upon entry.
Before consenting to leave your bags in the custody of the store, present this Receipt and Agreement to an employee of the store.
Do not consent to leave your bags until this Receipt and Agreement is completed and signed.
Keep this Receipt and Agreement with you until your bags, and all of the contents thereof, are returned to you complete and undamaged.

This document is provided courtesy of
Frontiersman, 435 South White Road, San Jose, California 95127
and may be reproduced freely.
Wednesday, November 9, 1994

Receipt and Agreement

I, __________________________________________________ 

hereby make the following statements.

Name of Signatory, Printed
I am ______________________________________________

at ________________________________________________

Title or Position of Signatory 

Name of Store

Address of Store

I hereby certify that I am authorized to act on behalf of the store named hereon and that the store is bound by my signature affixed hereon. 

I hereby acknowledge receipt of

Personal property such as backpack, purse, shopping bags, (etc.) and contents
I hereby acknowledge that the customer has involuntarily surrendered the personal property to me at my own express insistence.  I hereby certify that the store is unconditionally responsible for the personal property until such time as it is returned to the customer.  The store agrees to compensate the customer, to his complete satisfaction, for any and all loss or damage to any of the personal property listed hereon, if that loss or damage occurs before the property is returned to the customer.
I hereby make these statements and enter into this agreement on behalf of the store under penalty of perjury. 

Date of Signature 

Signature

This document is provided courtesy of
Frontiersman, 435 South White Road, San Jose, California 95127
and may be reproduced freely.
Wednesday, November 9, 1994
Back to the Beginning of This Issue