15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, June 1995
5x5 Paga Background GIF Image
Where Are We Going?
By John H. Webster
editor's note:  This article was originally written by Mr. Webster in January of 1989.  It was subsequently used as a political campaign message during his bid for election to the U.S. House of Representatives from the thirteenth district in California.
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThese famous words are from the Declaration of Independence, written by the fore-fathers of our country.  To them, the primary purpose for government was to secure those natural rights.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe founders of our country created a government dedicated to protecting the natural rights of its citizens.  They set up checks and balances to slow down the process by which it might forget what its original purpose was.  It took a while, but the government has forgotten.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOver the years, government decided that some natural rights of the individual could be sacrificed for the "good causes" of the majority.  It decided that for the "common good" it was justified in forcing society's values onto peaceful citizens with different values.  The path was set toward more government intervention.  The rest is history.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat resulted was a stampede of groups seeking special benefits for themselves and demanding that government get involved in and control every aspect of everyone else's life and business.  Government was there cheering us on with promises of equality, fairness and prosperity if only we would just give up that last freedom in our lives and that last dollar of our paychecks.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDon't let them take it.  We have lost too much already.
With taxes, we no longer own the products of our own labor.
With labor and emigration laws we no longer have the right to contract freely.
With food and drug laws, we no longer can decide what goes into our own bodies.
We now are a resource that is protected, controlled, and owned by our government, all supposedly, for good causes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe all have a choice to make:  should we allow our government to continue its growth and acquisition of power and control, or should we restrict it to its primary purpose as the protector of our freedoms and of our natural rights?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
"... That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."
— from the Declaration of Independence

Dead Right
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn Tuesday, May 16, 1995, by a vote of 101 to 46, the Texas legislature passed a law providing that Texans can now apply for a permit to carry concealed weapons.1  Gun rights advocates are celebrating another victory.  That's utter nonsense.  Any right the people of Texas might have had to carry concealed weapons is now as good as dead.  The final nail will be driven into its coffin when Governor George W. Bush signs the bill.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA right is something that is within your ability, for which you don't need permission, and that is generally or customarily accepted or condoned.  If you have to ask for permission, it isn't a right.  It's a privilege.
Page 1 Box15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn order to exercise this particular privilege, an applicant will (so far) have to be 21 years of age or older, submit to as many as 15 hours of training, pass a test, and pay a fee of $140 for a 4 year permit.  No doubt the good folks of Texas will fall eagerly into line.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe power to grant a privilege is identical with the power to control or to deny that privilege.  In this particular case, there is nothing to prevent the Texas legislature from increasing the age requirement or the training time or the fee.  Only God knows how onerous the training and testing might eventually become.  Of the 40 states that now allow concealed weapons, 16 already require that an applicant must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the licensing agency, a need to conceal the weapon.  Absolutely any requirement can be imposed is a prerequisite to the exercise of a privilege.  A little imagination stimulated by some knowledge of history will easily convince you that the government will certainly abuse this kind of arrangement.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's no surprise that the law passed the legislature by such a wide margin.  This law doesn't increase people's access to weapons.  It gives the Texas government yet another tool by which the people's access to weapons can be restricted.  If people want a right to carry concealed weapons, there's only one way to get it.  They must just do it, en masse, without notice or apology, and above all else, without asking their masters for permission.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Milam's Notes ....
When permission is requested, freedom is surrendered.  When permission is granted, freedom is denied.
— October 24, 1978

^ 
NBC Nightly News With Tom Brokaw, Tuesday, May 16, 1995

More Thugs
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn Thursday, May 18, 1995, in San Diego, California, the police killed another American.2  He had stolen an army tank and used it to smash various cars and other obstacles.  When they shot him, the tank was effectively disabled, its weapons were not loaded, and the man was effectively surrounded.  He could not, at that point, do further harm so why did they kill him?  Maybe it was revenge.  After all, one of the slaves had dared to defy them.  Maybe they thought they could teach the rest of us a lesson about obedience.  Most likely, they did it simply because they're jackbooted Gestapo style thugs.  If they think with more than their trigger fingers, they seem to think that it's better and cheaper for the government to kill a suspect than to prosecute him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnlike those wimps at the NRA, I won't apologize for my statement.  If the government goons don't like people calling them names, they'll just have to stop deserving it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
ITN World News, Thursday, May 18, 1995

Frontiersman, 435 South White Road
June 1995, Page 1

Fiction
Whenever in our history, people have believed that violence was a legitimate extension of politics, they have been wrong.
— Bill Clinton, Michigan State University, Friday, May 5, 1995

History
If we wish to be free;  if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending;  if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained — we must fight!  I repeat it, sir, we must fight!  An appeal to arms, and to the God of hosts, is all that is left us.

— Patrick Henry
Speech in Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

The time is now near at hand which must probably determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves;  whether they are to have any property they can call their own;  whether their houses and farms are to be pillaged and destroyed, and themselves consigned to a state of wretchedness from which no human efforts will deliver them.  The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army.  Our cruel and unrelenting enemy leaves us only the choice of brave resistance, or the most abject submission.  We have, therefore, to resolve to conquer or die.
— George Washington
Address to the Continental Army, August 27, 1776

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
— Nathan Hale
Last words, before being hanged by the British as a spy
September 22, 1776

These are the times that try men's souls.  The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country;  but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.  Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered;  yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.  What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly;  'tis dearness only that gives everything its value.  Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods;  and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated.
— Thomas Paine
The American Crisis, no. 1, December 23, 1776

I have not yet begun to fight.
— John Paul Jones
aboard the Bonhomme Richard, September 23, 1779

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is the argument of tyrants;  it is the creed of slaves.
— William Pitt
Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

What country before ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion?...  The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
— Thomas Jefferson
Letter to William Stevens Smith, November 13, 1787

The people made the Constitution, and the people can unmake it.  It is the creature of their own will, and lives only by their will.
— John Marshall
Cohens v. Virginia, 6 Wheaton (19 U.S.) 264, 389 [1821]

While we endeavor to maintain peace, I certainly should be the last to forget that if peace cannot be maintained with honor, it is no longer peace.
— Lord John Russell
Speech at Greenock, Scotland, September 19, 1853

Government Services Disturb the Peace
by Steve Strayer
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe rapid increase in the scope of peaceful activities which are prohibited or restricted by our political masters through nonsensical laws and rules has made everybody into frequent law breakers.  Many of these laws are seldom enforced except at the whim of politicians, officials, or private individuals who may want an excuse to harass somebody.
Page 2 Box15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne recent spring morning I was conducting an open house at a home I had for sale.  I had just finished placing signs announcing the event and was lingering on the front step allowing my senses a treat.  Birds chirped;  neighborhood children called happily to one another; a gentle breeze brought the delicate scent of flowers.  Nearby a young man waited in a van for a girl crossing the field at the end of the street.  One could scarcely imagine a more tranquil scene.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuddenly a white Ford Tempo with the seal of our town emblazoned on its side sped down the street, careened through a U-turn, and screeched to a stop across my driveway.  Out leaped a woman, her face contorted into a snarl.  Rushing toward the van she shouted.  "Hey dummy, can't you read?"  (The area is posted with NO PARKING signs for no apparent reason).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter dispensing with the villainous van jockey, she turned to me shaking her head, obviously presuming that I shared her disgust with anyone who would blatantly disregard a rule, even a senseless one.  Handing me a card identifying herself as a "Code Enforcement Official," she assumed a demeanor reminiscent of a Dragnet episode.  After establishing that I was indeed the person who had placed an "open house" sign at such-and-such intersection, she explained condescendingly that city codes forbid such signs.  She responded to my question about the purpose of such a code with a vague reference to traffic safety, injuries, and legal liability.  When I pointed out that every weekend our town is virtually abloom with similar signs including the very spot where I had put mine, she admitted that signs are tolerated at specified times as a courtesy to the "real estate industry" (i.e. Realtors, whose trade associations are among the largest contributors to political campaigns).  When asked if selective enforcement of codes only against certain people or at certain times seemed reasonable to her, she grew impatient and hinted that only valor above and beyond the call of duty motivated her to talk with me rather than simply confiscating my sign as provided in code paragraph xyz.123.abc.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs this public servant hurried off to put a stop to some other harmless activity, I chuckled to myself, reminded of the benign over zealousness of such fictional characters as Barney Fife.  After some reflection however, I realized that such incidents are not really laughing matters.  Given government officials' lack of accountability for misbehavior toward private individuals, had this petty tyrant felt I was insufficiently submissive to her authority, she could with impunity have made up a story and caused me serious trouble.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

June 1995, Page 2

Social Contract:  The Series
Part 4:  Imagine
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome time before or during the Middle Ages, men began their efforts to convert governments from those based on the sovereignty of the monarch to those based on the sovereignty of the people.  In historical terms, this process isn't very far advanced.  While most governments in the world today make a pretense of acknowledging the sovereignty of their people, none of them behave as if it is actually true.  They display their various constitutions, and broadcast the rhetoric of human rights, but rigidly maintain their geographical boundaries, and forcibly control the people within those boundaries.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn example of this inconsistency can be found in the State of California, where the sovereignty of the people is acknowledged.
"All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights ...."
— from the Constitution of the State of California
Article 1, Section 1
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMost state constitutions have some such verbiage.  However, it is completely ignored by the actual operation of government at the local level.  Consider Black's definition of a municipal corporation.
"....  A body corporate consisting of the inhabitants of a designated area created by the legislature with or without the consent of such inhabitants ...."
— from Black's article municipal corporation
<emphasis added>
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome of the apparatus of governments has thus undergone a change which is not reflected by the functions of governments.  This is why elections, which allegedly exert the will of the people, have so little real effect on the actions of governments.  Present governments continue to exercise the ancient powers of the despot, disguised by the recent apparatus of the Social Contract.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the Doctrine of Social Contract is to be considered valid, then we must learn a radically different world view, and a fundamentally different understanding of the relationship between governments and people, and of the relationships between and among individuals.  Governments continue to behave the way they do because people have not yet learned to understand the Doctrine of Social Contract, their obligations under it, or their ability to legitimately forego those obligations.  Today, the struggle toward understanding continues, as men dispute old notions, trying to imagine a better world.  We're in a long transition, at the end of which, if it's completed, our descendents will be free and sovereign adults.  Along the way, there will be a lot of government to overcome, and a lot of human nature to somehow accommodate.  The end isn't yet in sight, and may be centuries away.  Meanwhile, to sustain us in the struggle, we have the legacy of the past, the strength of our convictions, and the example of the dreamers.  We also have the dream.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll joins us
And the world will live as one"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image15x5 Page Background GIF Image— John Lennon (1940-1980)

Excrement Occurs
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Communications Decency Act of 1995 (SB314 and HR1004) will, if passed, establish criminal penalties for any transmission of images or text which is deemed obscene, lewd, or harassing.1  The puritans, of course, will decide which words indicate such content.  Yet, if they can prevent our children from seeing smut like ...
ass, assoil, bag, ball cock, balled, balling, ballroom, bitch, boob, booboisie, booby hatch, booby trap, box, broad, buns, bush, bust, butt, cock, cock-a-hoop, cock-a-leekie, cockpit, copula, dong, drive shaft, fairy, gay, head, hump, knocker, lay, muff, nuts, organ, piece, prick, pricker, pricket, pussytoes, queer, screw, screwball, screw cap, screwdriver, screw eye, screw jack, screw log, sexduction, sexennial, sextet, sextile, shittah, shittimwood, snatch, tail, tailpiece, tit, titman, tittup, virginal, virgin wool
15x5 Page Background GIF Image... the words in the box, then they will have passed a good law.  Right?  Wrong.  For each of the words in the box, a perfectly legitimate meaning is shown in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.  Furthermore, for every word that's forbidden because of its meaning, there will arise a synonym.  See for example the title of this article, which isn't "Shit Happens".  Or is it?  That's the problem.  The arrogant morons who want to dictate our morality to us can't even tell which words are the bad ones.  While these idiots are justified in trying to persuade us to be decent, passing a law isn't persuasion.  It's despotism and censorship, however holy the motive.  Just because a thing is bad doesn't necessarily mean that it should also be illegal.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf we want to keep our freedoms of expression, we must accept a grim fact.  While the use of the sword should always be justified by the pen, it is equally true that the use of the pen must sometimes be defended by the sword.  When necessary, violence in the defense of liberty is a virtue.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
Libertarian Party News, May 1995, Vol. 10, No. 5, Legislation, page 8
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Personals
(for our amusement by Dante DeAmicis)

SW M, 35, Into self defense, target shooting, hunting, home security.  Looking for overeducated liberal who will marry me for my house then constantly berate me for being a "gun nut".  Help me keep my bad attitude.
SW M, 26, Techie Type.  Would like to merge files with serious woman hacker (either of them).  Must be able to talk for hours comparing and critiquing all major commercial software programs.  Respond to my on-line address, leave your on-line address.
SW M, 32, Professional.  Want to meet emotionally unstable woman who wants to do nothing except have kids and get fat watching soap operas while I bust my ass 60 hours per week.  Then after taking me to the cleaners in a divorce, force me to subsidize her anti-daddy thought control to my kids.  April fool, I'm getting a "mail order" bride.
SB M, 20, Body builder.  I want a widowed white woman whose husband saved lots of money while working himself into an early grave.  Now its time to party party party.
DW F, 29, (more or less) Interested in travel, dining out, and the finer things in life.  Call if you're financially secure professional, ambitious, successful, generous, and so on, and want commitment and kids.  The rest of you losers don't bother.
Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
My girlfriend is so sexually demanding that I can't keep up with her.  What can I do to reduce her interest a little?
— Worn Out
Dear Worn Out
Marry her.
June 1995, Page 3

Frontiersman Return Address 1
AK-47
Flag

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePermission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other publications.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
The Evils They Have Wrought
Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good.  He that doeth good is of God:  but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.
— 3 John 11, Holy Bible, King James Version
Definition:  religion... - 4.  A cause, a principle, or an activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion ....
— from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
Definition:  cult - Any group of devout religious believers that becomes the target of government disapproval, persecution, or atrocities.
the Frontiersman, May 1995, page 3
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn July 1, 1987, armed IRS agents invaded the home of Bill White, a member of the Libertarian Party of Santa Clara County.  The invasion was based on an allegation that the United Libertarian Fellowship, a church established by Bill, wasn't really a church at all but was really a fraudulent attempt at tax evasion.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDuring the following so-called investigation, the IRS sought collaborators from within the membership of the United Libertarian Fellowship.  John Webster was one of the members they approached.  Below is the text of the letter that John wrote in response to the IRS query.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy association with Bill White has been mostly through the United Libertarian Fellowship of which I am a member.  Although I am not very active, I have attended a number of the Fellowship's pot-luck socials.  These socials are for the express purpose of introducing prospective members to the philosophical, moral, social, and yes religious values of the Fellowship, and for the sharing and witnessing between members of those values.  I share these values.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe philosophy of the Fellowship deals with the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, and the fact that people have been endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights — life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and most important, self ownership.  A person owns himself, the product of his labors, and whatever he receives in trade by mutual consent, from another.  These are natural rights and laws;  a person forfeits these only by violating the rights of others, except for this, no man-made law can morally take away a persons natural rights.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEvil is the violation of another person's natural rights.  Evil is the taking of what another person legitimately owns by force or the threat of force.  Evil, even for a good cause, is still evil.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo, you see the United Libertarian Fellowship is a legitimate religious/philosophical union of people — a church if you will.  The I.R.S. on the other hand is the illegitimate evil mouth that feeds a government bureaucracy bent on reducing all of us to its slaves, forcing us to grovel at its feet for handouts.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShortly thereafter, John also became a target.  The perpetrators this time were yet a different group of thugs, the local police.  They trapped John into a contrived and so-called criminal act, forcibly entered his home, and stole (among other things) the computer containing the text of the letter that he had written about Bill White.  After keeping the computer for about 5 years, the police finally decided that it didn't contain information that could be used to prove either John's innocence or their guilt.  Only then did they return the computer.  When it was recently returned, the text of John's letter became available.  I'm happy to print it here.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBoth Bill White and John Webster spent many months behind bars as a result of the trumped up charges that were concocted against them.  They are both, in my opinion, victims of an evil that has now become insufferable.
.... all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.  But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.
— from the Declaration of Independence

June 1995, Page 4

PDF Version of this Insert With Links
PDF Version of this Insert to Print
The Federal Law Enforcement Aptitude Test
Originally appeared in California Liberty # 11.  Reprinted with permission of Atlas Communications, P.O. Box 1400, Burbank, California 91507
Editor's Note:  The Frontiersman cannot give permission to reprint this item.  That permission can be obtained only from California Liberty.
A religious minority is suspected of stockpiling weapons.  What do you do?
a. Nothing.  They are practicing their right to bear arms.
b. Get a warrant from a judge, put on a business suit, and politely knock on their front door to serve the warrant.
c. Launch a military style assault and massacre everyone.
Governments are instituted among men to ...
a. Secure certain unalienable rights.
b. Enforce the law.
c. Send hither swarms of Officers.
Sobriety checkpoints, random searches of luggage, and drug testing are:
a. Violations of the Fourth Amendment.
b. Generally ineffective because they waste police resources harassing law abiding citizens.
c. The way we do business.
Civilian versions of military assault rifles are involved in around 8 percent of violent crime.  What should government do about this?
a. Concentrate law enforcement resources on arresting violent criminals.
b. Register assault rifles.
c. Ban these rifles and persecute millions of innocent citizens.
An intelligence agency comes up with the idea of emplacing de-encryption devices in every computer manufactured in the United States.  What do you do?
a. Refuse to cooperate and instead demand immediate dissolution of what is obviously an out-of-control agency.
b. Look up federal regulations and see if this will put you in jail for illegal wiretapping.
c. Demand that your agency get a piece of this action.
You are at an airport where you see a citizen paying for an airline ticket with cash.  What do you do?
a. Nothing.  Cash is legal tender for all debts.
b. Stop the citizen and ask why he is using cash instead of a credit card.
c. Confiscate the money and arrest the citizen as a suspected drug dealer.
A known criminal approaches you and tells you that your neighbor has some contraband.  What do you do?
a. Nothing.  Law enforcement experience demonstrates that known criminals are unreliable informants who frequently try to frame innocent people for crimes they never committed.
b. Try and get more evidence to corroborate this story.
c. Break into your neighbor's house with a SWAT team, handcuff your neighbor, and let him die of a heart attack.
Drug education programs which encourage children to inform on their parents are ...
a. Based on Nazi and Soviet secret police practices and must be opposed by anyone who loves freedom.
b. Disgusting but unfortunately necessary parts of modern police work.
c. A great way to destroy the family and create a society based on mutual distrust.
You are an IRS agent investigating a citizen.  The citizen says that the 1040 income tax forms are a violation of his 5th Amendment protection against self incrimination.  How do you respond?
a. By telling him he is right and he is under no legal compulsion to report his income.
b. By telling him that if this were true, nobody would have to pay taxes.
c. By arresting the citizen, confiscating his bank account, and bulldozing his house.
Many American citizens have decided to move their bank accounts to foreign countries.  What is the proper law enforcement response?
a. Nothing.  It's their money.  They have a right to do what they please with it.
b. Ordering the citizens to pay U.S. income taxes on any moneys in foreign accounts.
c. The U.S. must launch an invasion of countries with banks which are independent of the 
American financial system.
Your agency is enacting administrative regulations which ban the use of certain drugs.  From where does your power come to enact such laws?
a. There is no such power.  Article I, Section I of the United States Constitution gives all legislative power to the Congress.  Executive agencies have no right to enact laws over the citizens of the United States.
b. With all the things that have to be regulated in 20th century America, executive agencies have to pass laws.
c. From the barrel of a gun.
One of the major rationales for drug prohibition is that illegal drugs are a major threat to America's children.  Yet despite the fact that millions of minors use drugs, statistics indicate that less than 100 children die every year from emergency room crises caused by illegal drugs.  How do you explain this?
a. Obviously, illegal drugs are not a threat to America's children and there is no rationale for drug prohibition.
b. The reason the number of drug deaths is so low is because of the heroic efforts of law enforcement in protecting children from drugs.
c. If we start basing our arguments for drug prohibition on the facts, we will be out of a job.
A law enforcement operation based on an illegal warrant confiscates all the computers of a small publisher.  How do you evaluate this operation?
a. It is a major threat to freedom of the press in America.
b. It is a waste of time which would only alienate otherwise law abiding citizens.
c. It is a great way to intimidate critics of law enforcement.

Reprinted by Frontiersman

It is frequently claimed that most crime is caused by drug addicts stealing to get money for drugs.  But according to 1991 Department of Justice statistics less than 14% of all crime is caused in this manner.  How would you explain this at a public meeting?
a. By stating that the war on drugs is an obvious attempt to scapegoat addicts for the failure of government to maintain order.
b. By stating that drug prohibition, while generally ineffective, has some positive aspects like putting Bill Clinton's brother in jail.
c. By going into hysterics.
Using drugs while posing as a drug dealer is:
a. Hypocritical and morally wrong.
b. Risky because you might give away who you are while under the influence
c. One of the unwritten benefits of undercover operations.
The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the Western world.  The United States also has the highest rate of violent crime in the Western world.  How do you explain this?
a. Jailing people is counterproductive.
b. We are not jailing enough people.
c. We need to jail everyone who is not in law enforcement.
According to Department of Justice statistics, the majority of theft in the United States is the result of white collar crime (fraud, etc.).  What would you do about it?
a. Concentrate law enforcement resources on white collar criminals.
b. Harass impoverished urban minorities.
c. Get a white collar job after retirement.
Many politicians who support the war on drugs also have connections in the alcohol, tobacco and pharmaceutical industries.  What does this indicate?
a. A glaring conflict of interests.  Obviously, these politicians are using law enforcement to suppress alternative intoxicants and medications.
b. Nothing.  These guys are too powerful to touch so I have no opinion.
c. It's the American way.
The head of your agency wants to spend $500 million to install devices which would allow federal agencies to monitor all digital telephone communications in the United States.  What would you tell him in a briefing?
a. This is a major threat to privacy in America, one that is reminiscent of KGB practices.
b. Spending half a billion dollars when there are only 1000 or so wiretaps authorized every year is a waste of law enforcement resources.
c. If we have any problems, we can always call in ex-KGB personnel for technical assistance.
Employment of the armed forces to support law enforcement is ...
a. A violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.
b. An encroachment on local law enforcement's independence.
c. Vital because while federal law enforcement officers like to dress up in commando outfits they really cannot deal with people who shoot back.
Your supervisor tells you that you will be going on an operation whose objective is to seize the property of a citizen without due process of law.  What do you do?
a. State that this is an illegal operation and then tell your supervisor if he persists you will arrest him for violation of the citizen's civil rights.
b. Say nothing because you are concerned about being fired if you speak up,
c. Make sure you get him to agree to give you a share of the loot.
You have illegally entered a citizen's home.  He confronts you with weapon.  What do you do?
a. Surrender yourself to a citizen's arrest.
b. Apologize and try to sneak out.
c. Shoot him to death
You are part of a heavily armed SWAT team.  You have a man, his wife, their infant child, and their neighbor surrounded in a remote cabin.  What should your rules of engagement be?
a. Fire only if fired upon.
b. Open fire on anyone you see with a weapon.
c. Open fire on any woman holding an infant.
You have just participated in a SWAT raid in which an innocent citizen was killed by an agent acting in an unlawful manner.  What do you do?
a. Surrender yourself as a co-conspirator.
b. Keep quiet and hope you are not blamed.
c. Demand a promotion.
The Bill of Rights ...
a. Is part of the Supreme Law of the Land.
b. Gives criminals all sorts of rights that law abiding citizens do not have.
c. The Bill of Rights?  What is that?
Scoring:
For every "a" answer give yourself 0 points.
For every "b" answer give yourself 2 points.
For every "c" answer give yourself 4 points.

Total score
76-100.  Congratulations!  You have a complete disregard for the Constitution of the United States.  You are immediately qualified for service in the IRS, BATF, and DEA.
51-75.  You do not have too many qualms about violating the liberties of individual citizens.  Apply for any big city police department's vice squad.
26-50.  You think that the purpose of the law enforcement has something to do with protecting people's lives and property, so you are unqualified to be a federal agent.  You might make it as a private security guard.
0-25.  You obviously believe that the purpose of govemment is to secure certain unalienable right.  You'll never qualify for government service.  Try joining the Libertarian Party instead.

Reprinted by Frontiersman
Back to the Beginning of This Issue