15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, July 1995
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
News Release:
The Libertarian Party of Texas
Media Relations Committee
Wesley W. Burnett, Chairman
806 495-2816 - (Fax 806 495-2059)
For Immediate Release - June 7, 1995
Libertarians charge Texas legislature with 2nd Amendment violation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn all the uproar and commotion over the Texas Legislature's "right to carry" concealed weapons bill, it appears the law's violation of the 2nd Amendment has been overlooked, according to the Libertarian Party of Texas.  Texas Libertarian Party chairman Jay Manifold has reminded the Texas Legislature that it has put up another bureaucratic roadblock, "directly contrary to the spirit and clear meaning of the 2nd Amendment, ignoring the rights of Texans to arm themselves for protection."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Libertarian Party has consistently insisted that no law, state or national, may infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms.  "That includes restrictions like registering weapons protected by the 2nd Amendment, or training or any other government imposed obstacle to ownership," Manifold continued.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Supreme Court ruled in 1939 (U.S. vs. Miller) that weapons considered ordinary military equipment (normally hand-held), or those weapons that could contribute to the common defense, are designated as arms protected by the 2nd Amendment.1
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"That means," Manifold insisted, "that citizens have the right to own handguns, rifles or so-called assault weapons similar to those used by the military ... and no government has the Constitutional authority to infringe on this right."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Unfortunately, our legislators failed to recognize their Constitutional limitations.  In their haste to appear anti-crime, they have foisted another scheme to fatten the general revenues of the state, at the expense of the very citizens whose rights they are sworn to defend," Manifold added.  The new concealed handgun law requires citizens to undergo extensive background checks, potential intimidation from law enforcement agencies, expensive training and certification and a $140 permit, which must be renewed every four years.  The cost alone will exclude thousands of law-abiding Texans from the permit system.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageManifold pointed out that lower income families tend to live in high crime areas, and will be unable to meet the permit fee requirements.  "At minimum wage, the $140 fee is a week's salary for a lot of our working citizens," Manifold emphasized.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"The Libertarian Party calls for Texans to recognize their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and demand that their elected officials uphold the Constitution and the Bill of Rights," Manifold concluded.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

^ 
Editorial Comment:  Common defense means that people must have whatever weapons it takes to defend themselves.  Since the U.S. government now attacks U.S. citizens with army tanks and helicopter gun-ships, people should arm themselves with anti-tank weapons and surface-to-air guided missiles.— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Different Echo, Different Drum
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe discussion of the Oklahoma City bombing continues.  I recently read an article, Echoes of April 19, that appeared in the June 1995 issue of California Liberty. Although the article contained some libertarian ideas, it also contained the statement:
"Nobody disputes that this event was a terrible tragedy, a truly hideous act of destruction and terrorism that ranks with the worst atrocities of any group of thugs, anywhere."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven if this analysis were correct, someone somewhere would dispute it.  In fact, it's pure Clintonista propaganda.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn general, terrorism is an attack against non-combatants and is often associated with demands by somebody who claims responsibility.  Was the Oklahoma City bombing such an act?  I think not.  Consider:  Americans have lately suffered atrocities and acts of war committed by armed civilians who work for the U.S. government.  The bombing was an attack against some of those very civilians.  As such, it was a legitimate action against combatants.  The other victims were collateral casualties, just like when the government attacks a target.  The collateral casualties were unfortunate but unavoidable.  After all, it wasn't a smart bomb.  Also, there were no demands and nobody claimed responsibility.  Only in the government press would an attack be automatically called terrorism just because it is anti-government.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suppose the confusion shouldn't surprise me.  For a long time now, U.S. citizens have failed to understand the deteriorating behavior of the U.S. government.  They have believed that they could compromise with increasingly coercive authority.  They have thought that comfort or the illusion of security justified the loss of liberty.  They have done everything possible to pretend that there is no problem, even though the nature of government has never been much of a secret.  Although some of the blame for the present state of things lies with the government, you can't really blame wolves for being wolves.  A wise shepherd will guard his flock.  A foolish one will lose it.  Much of the blame therefore lies with the weak, lazy, cowardly, or ignorant U.S. citizens who have allowed things to get this bad.  It's just that I hope for better than that from libertarians.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIncidentally, the Oklahoma City bombers didn't attack the children.  They attacked a federal installation that just happened to have some children in it.  This is far different than if they had attacked a school that just happened to have some federal agents in it.  We don't even know if they were aware of the children.  However, the federal agents (FBI and BATF) who attacked the Branch Davidian compound were certainly aware of those children.  Lon Horiuchi (FBI) was aware of the infant nursing at Vicki Weaver's breast when he looked at her through a telescopic gun sight and shot her in the face.  The Oklahoma City bombers are not thugs.  The federal agents are thugs.  If, after this incident, federal agents continue to place children in federal installations, then I will declare that the intention of those agents is to use the children as shields.  Such cowardly behavior by the U.S. Gestapo wouldn't surprise me a bit.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Frontiersman, 435 South White Road July 1995, Page 1

A Forbidding Revelation
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 Here is wisdom.  Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:  for it is the number of a man:  and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
— Revelation 13:16-18
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the U.S.A. today, citizens are required to possess identification.  Compliance with this policy is virtually universal.  Understanding of its implications is virtually nonexistent.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIdentification means,
"... something used to identify a person or thing."
— Thorndike Century Senior Dictionary
"Proof of identity ...."
— Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are thus at least three aspects of identification.  It must (1) reveal and (2) prove (3) identity.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIdentity is a word with many meanings, depending upon how it's used.  With regard to providing ID upon demand, identity means the unique designation of one individual which distinguishes that individual from all others.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn individual's name alone isn't necessarily unique, and therefore might not constitute identification.  An individual's name associated with an address or other appropriate information is unique.  Other things, as well, are identification.  Examples are Social Security numbers, driver's license numbers, employee numbers, and credit card numbers.  Each of these numbers, within its area of use, distinguishes one individual from all others.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn individual may have many such identities, and any valid identification must reveal at least one of them.  Whether the identity revealed is a name and address or a number, anything that (1) reveals (2) identity satisfies two aspects of identification.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIdentification must also prove identity.  What constitutes proof?
"Proof ....  'Proof' is the establishment by evidence of a requisite degree of belief concerning a fact in the mind of the trier of fact or the court ....   'Belief' is a subjective condition resulting from proof.  It is a conviction of the truth of a proposition, existing in the mind, and induced by persuasion, proof, or argument addressed to the judgement.  Proof is the result or effect of evidence, while evidence is the medium or means by which a fact is proved or disproved ...."
— Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThus, the only criterion for successful proof is belief.  Anything that induces belief is proof.  If I tell (reveal to) someone who I am (my identity), and he believes me (proof), I have provided identification.  For example, I might provide a series of photographs and mementoes documenting my entire growth from birth to the present.  With it I might provide affidavits signed by people who knew me as a child, and sworn statements by my parents.  Such evidence might be very convincing, and induce belief.  If so, it satisfies the above mentioned requirements of identification.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, such identification will not allow me to cash a check, obtain a credit card, or rent a video cassette.  If the identification convinces the individual to whom I present it, thereby satisfying the requirements of identification, and I still cannot cash the check, then there must be another requirement.  The identification is insufficient for some reason.  To understand why, you must understand the legal meaning of insufficient.
"Insufficient  Not sufficient;  inadequate to some need, purpose, or use;  wanting in needful value, ability, or fitness;  incompetent;  unfit, as insufficient food;  insufficient means.  It is the antonym of 'sufficient.' ...."
— Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy "home-grown" identification avoids every requirement of insufficiency but one:  it is incompetent.
"incompetent ....  2:  not legally qualified ...."
— Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo be competent, identification must be legally qualified
Legally ....  according to law.
— Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat means identification must be authorized by law.  Such authorization exists.  An example is the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Identification Cards
13000 (a)  The department may issue an identification card to any person attesting to the true name, correct age, and other identifying data as certified by the applicant for such identification card.
— Vehicle Code
Verification of Identity:  Unlawful Denial of Birth Certificate
13007.5  Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this code or in the regulations adopted thereunder, including specifically the driver's licensing manual, the department may verify the identity of a person applying for an identification card through United States Census records even though the date and month of birth are not included as to any person born prior to the year 1916.
— Vehicle Code
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe DMV is thus authorized to provide identification, and DMV identification is competent.  Other agencies, such as the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the Passport Agency, are also authorized to provide identification.  Notice also that the DMV may verify its identification against records maintained by the United States Department of Commerce, the same place your birth certificate is filed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe acceptability of identification provided by such agencies clarifies a fourth requirement of identification, which is that identification must be attested by government.  This enables me to provide a complete definition.
identification - evidence, attested by government, that reveals and proves identity.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIdentification must be traceable to the government.  Otherwise, it isn't identification but is only incompetent evidence.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom this government monopoly follows an important consequence which, perhaps, isn't obvious.  If an
Frontiersman, 435 South White Road July 1995, Page 2

individual claims to be "A", and the government says that individual is "B", then what is that individual's "true" identity?  The only identity that will be recognized is the one for which the individual can provide identification, and the only valid identification is that provided by the government.  The answer, then, is that the "true" identity of an individual is whatever the government says it is.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you doubt the power of government to dictate your identity, I can suggest a couple of tests.  Try to persuade the Social Security Administration to give you the social security number of your choice.  They won't do it.  Remember, you're name isn't your identity, but your Social Security number is.  Try to get your state driver's license authority to give you the driver's license number of your choice.  Again, they won't do it.  It's ironic that you can request a specific identity for your car, but not for yourself.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat these agencies use the name given to you by your parents is conventional, but not necessary.  If they put a different name on your card, and refused to change it, you'd be stuck with it.  Your real name is the one on your birth certificate, a government document filed with the United States Department of Commerce.  It's your real name because it's on the certificate, and not because your parents gave it to you.  If they had given you a different name than the one which eventually appeared on your birth certificate, the one they gave you wouldn't count.  Your real name would be the one on the certificate.  Recall that you can't legally change your name unless you request and obtain permission from the government.
"names ....  Statutes often prescribe ways by which a person may change his name.  The usual method is by applying to a court.  Granting the name change is usually a matter of judicial discretion.  A Minnesota district court judge refused to permit an applicant to change his name legally to the numerals 1069, which, the man said, 'describe what is inherent in me.'"
— Family Legal Guide
<emphasis added>
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour real name is the one acknowledged by government, and potentially the one dictated by government.  Recall that the California DMV, and I presume licensing agencies in all states, will verify information with the United States Department of Commerce.  They don't verify it with your parents.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are many things that you can do only if you have ID traceable to the government.  Since you can't do them otherwise, the ID constitutes permission from the government to do those things.  Among them are opening bank accounts, buying or selling stock, renting just about anything, making credit purchases, using checks, buying insurance, being employed, buying a house, owning or driving a car, owning a business, getting married, and so forth.  That the government doesn't always directly impose the ID requirement is a frivolous objection.  The requirement is there, regardless of its private sector camouflage.  It's a fact that in the U.S.A. today, it's impossible for anyone to legally transact business of any kind without government ID.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePermission means control.  If you must get permission from the government before you can do something, that means you must satisfy any prerequisite that the government imposes upon the permission.  The preconditions to obtaining ID continue to escalate, and there is no end in sight.  The ID is a prerequisite to almost everything and you can get it only from government.  The accumulation of so much power in the hands of government constitutes the very essence of tyranny.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo what about the prophecy in the book of Revelation?  I don't believe in the sacred validity of Biblical prophecy, but this passage is in some ways an uncanny description of the present situation.  Consider for example, his name in Revelation 13:17.
"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe subject of this sentence isn't the beast, but the man.  The sentence lists requirements, separated by commas, placed upon the man.  Once you realize that, you'll know what was meant by the number of his name.  It's the number of the man's name.  Notice also that Revelation doesn't speak of the mark of the beast.  It speaks of the mark.  Recall the electronic implants that are being discussed as a method of marking U.S. citizens.1  They're already widely used on animals, and they'll soon mark people as well.  They'll serve as health care cards, benefits cards, Social Security cards, immigration ID, work eligibility cards, postal ID, ATM cards, check books, drivers licenses, etc.  Prior to the development of implants, people thought the mark would be placed on the skin.  However, notice the wording.
"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:"
According to Revelation 13:16, the mark isn't placed on the hand, but in it.  This is a description of the electronic implant.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFinally, consider that the number of the beast was really the number of a man.
"Here is wisdom.  Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:  for it is the number of a man:  and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."
The beast, therefore, is a man.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that there is no Satan except for man himself, who is surely capable of sufficient evil.  There is no Hell except when man creates it for himself, here on Earth.  At such creation, man is a true master.  It seems likely that man is, after all, his own worst enemy.  That is probably the final and most profound revelation.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
Frontiersman, October 1994, untitled box, page 1

Frontiersman, 435 South White Road July 1995, Page 3

Frontiersman Return Address 2
Sweetie
Flag

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePermission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other publications.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
The Little Red Hen

author and source unknown
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOnce upon a time, there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered some wheat.  She called her neighbors and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat.  Who will help me?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Not I," said the cow.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Not I," said the duck.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Not I," said the pig.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Not I," said the goose.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Then I will do it myself," said the little red hen, and she did.  The wheat grew tall and ripened into golden grain.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Not I," said the duck.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Out of my classification," said the pig.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Then I will do it myself" said the little red hen, and she did.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAt last, it came time to bake the bread.  "Who will help me bake the bread?" asked the little red hen.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"That would be overtime for me," said the cow.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I'm a dropout and never learned how," said the pig.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Then I will do it myself." said the little red hen.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe baked five loaves and held them up for her neighbors to see.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey all wanted some.  In fact, they demanded a share.  But the little red hen said, "No, I can eat the five loaves myself."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Excess profits!" yelled the cow.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Capitalist leech!" cried the duck.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I demand equal rights!" shouted the goose.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe pig just grunted.  Then they hurriedly painted picket signs and marched around shouting obscenities.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe government agent came and said to the little red hen, "You must not be greedy."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Exactly," said the government agent, "That's the wonderful free-enterprise system.  Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants.  But, under government regulations, the productive workers must share their product with the idle."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd the little red hen, her neighbors, and the government agent all lived happily ever after, except for the little red hen (who never baked bread again) and her neighbors (who wondered why).

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo matter where I go, men just keep asking me for dates.  How can I get them to stop?

— Traveling Saleswoman
Dear Traveling Saleswoman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGo to a theatre costume shop, get yourself a big handlebar mustache, and wear it.
Frontiersman, 435 South White Road July 1995, Page 4
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue