15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, September 1996
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Witch Hunt
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThroughout the land today, there is a witch hunt.  The victims aren't being drowned, or burned at the stake, or pressed under boards, but that doesn't keep it from being a witch hunt.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWho are the targets of this modern witch hunt?  These modern pariahs are fathers.  Today, a father can be deprived, against his will, of his rights, his liberty, his income, his home, and (if he resists) maybe even his life.  The imposition of this punishment is based entirely on an assumption — that a father has an automatic and mandatory obligation to pay for the upkeep of his children.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith regard to this alleged obligation of fathers, I have a different belief.  I believe that an obligation follows only from negotiation and agreement, and cannot be unilaterally imposed. Page 1 BoxIf a man agrees to pay for the upkeep of his child, then he has an obligation to pay for that upkeep — not because he's the father but because he made an agreement.  If he makes no such agreement then he has no such obligation.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe widely held belief that the obligation is automatic and mandatory is an assumption, and not a law of nature.  There is no law of nature that requires a father to hang around.  This is why God in his wisdom, or nature in his expediency, put the mammary glands on the only person who could be relied upon to be there when the baby was born — the mother.  The sexual equipment given to a man makes him indispensable for only one small part of the process.  After that part is accomplished, whether it is the will of God or a fluke of evolution, men have two good feet and a nine month head start.  C'est la vie, ladies.  I have occasionally heard women whine about why birth control always has to be the woman's responsibility.  That should be obvious.  It is because the woman is the one who will end up with the child.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are various non-coercive ways that "unattached" mothers can address the problem of raising children without the support of a man.  After all the rhetoric about equality and the capabilities of women, that's exactly what they ought to do.  Instead, they're conjuring up a witch hunt.  They justify it by casting kids in the role of pathetic victims.  Of course, they can make as many victims as they want.  The targets of this hunt are men who can be easily defamed with epithets like "deadbeat dad" or "sexual predator", thereby dehumanizing them into legitimate targets for persecution.  However, the loudly lamented plight of "the children" doesn't justify the enslavement of men.  If my attitude seems callous, then so be it.  I'm no more callous than a woman who contrives to get pregnant without first securing an agreement from the man and then uses the child as a weapon to enslave him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor several years now, I've been a target in this witch hunt.  I've been threatened with the confiscation of everything that I own, including my home.  Recently, I was arrested at gunpoint, placed in a maximum security lock-up, taken to court in chains, and threatened with continuing confinement.  I wasn't brave enough to refuse their demands while I was in jail.  However, since I have not made any voluntary agreement and since there is no obligation under duress, I have no obligation whatsoever to make the child support payments that they demanded.  Since my agreement to pay was extracted under duress, I will pay only what I am forced to pay and only for as long as I am forced to pay it.  When they stop forcing, I will stop paying.  Like any other victim of extortion, I have only one obligation — endure my condition until I can find a way to end it.
Witch15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's no greater persecution than that imposed by righteous puritans on a holy crusade, and this witch hunt has turned into exactly that.  This particular crusade is part of the larger debate about the nature of obligation and the source of authority.  Like most such crusades, this one is an attempt to compel people to behave according to a belief system that they do not share.  Such a campaign is seldom successful.  Instead, it changes perceived evils into something far worse.  Whether it's Christian vs Moslem, Hutu vs Tutsi, black vs white, or female vs male, the results are the same — hostility, resentment, and resistance.  This kind of holy crusade doesn't win converts.  It creates victims, hatred, and enemies.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol

Frontiersman, 435 South White Road
September 1996, Page 1

From the Cloister of Cormier
Don Cormier
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn the Legality of the Anarchist Movement in the United States — Anarchism is barely and precariously tolerated in the United States of America.  In many ways, it is construed as treason and insanity rather than as a political phenomenon.  Even when not condemned as treason per se, anarchists veer into crime if they advocate the forcible overthrow of the United States Government or if they advocate disobedience to laws.  About the only anarchists who are "safe" are those who are also pacifists.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, the state tolerates pacifists because they offer little or no threat to the smooth functioning of the state.  As soon as any anarchists, pacifist or otherwise, begin to threaten the security of the state, the state will "crack down".  Note the current blurring of the distinction in the media between "anarchists" and "terrorists".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome Thoughts on the Viper Militia — It seems that they made the mistake of going too far too fast.  They should have spent more time educating people about the "facts" as they saw them, and less time worrying about how to fight the government.  If enough people understood and believed in this militia's ideas, then they wouldn't have to use force against the government.  It would dissolve itself.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI think it's dissolving itself anyway.
editor

False Alternatives
Dante DeAmicis
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTime for another chapter in the continuing story of why the libertarian political movement has been such a flop.  Of course, if you believe its purpose all along was to talk to itself for 25 years, then it has been a success.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suggest a key glitch in the liberty communication department has been their "Them vs Us" dichotomy.  (Good Guys, us — Yah!) — (Bad Guys, them — Boo!)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOh, there's nothing wrong with an "Us vs Them" split.  We just drew the line in the wrong place for the pure liberty message to be clear.
Tired old Not-Quite-Libertarian Dichotomy
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBad — Anything Government at any level plus the Federal Reserve (a private cabal).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood — Anything else private.
My Brand New Spiffy Dichotomy
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBad — Most government, Public Corporations, other companies that do 51% or more of their business with the government, land not held in context, decreed privileges (AMA, BAR, Eminent Domain, Patents), and the Federal Reserve.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood — Everything else private.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNeutral — Government bodies with easy and clear opt-out provisions, Chartered cities.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image(Whoops! How about that, an honest to goodness gray area).
[A Trichotomy?  Gadzooks! — editor]
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe contradiction in the old line-up is in the assumption that everything private is good (except the Federal Reserve) no matter how much contamination and cooption by government there has been.  Whereas, everything government is bad, even though large chunks of it exist only because of the mechanizations of those private elements.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suspect the reason this error persists is because modern libertarians have allowed themselves to become dependent on these state-private partnerships while professing a totally independent lifestyle.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Letter to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSam.  Your examples of disastrously dysfunctional communities are in stark contrast to your statement [July 1996 Frontiersman, page 3] that "any effective intentional community will become a target of government intervention".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEffective communities cannot ignore the state but their existence is more complicated than huddling together waiting to be torched by the minions of law and order.  If we carefully examine the relationship of intentional communities to the state, we see a low profile brinksmanship at work.  The state has reasons to both leave intentional communities alone and to repress them.  Functional communities are aware of these dynamics.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageObviously our stalwart communards cannot just assume they will be safely ensconced in their redoubts.  Nobody likes being shown up by the power of a good example, least of all the state.  So don't give them an easy shot.  Pay your bills or fight them legally.  Make sure you are more upstanding than the amorphous peasants in the "hot" areas of drugs, children, and questionable firearms.  The sheep will tolerate more storm-trooping in these areas.  If you give dictocrats a clear opportunity to play savior they may take it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, on a day-to-day basis government doesn't operate this way.  Mostly they exist and expand by giving us stuff, primarily order and security.  And as anyone in business knows, the last thing you want to do is call attention to your competition unless your good or service is clearly superior.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRemember, to be free is to deal with all the forces of nature as they are, not as we would like them to be.  And the government impulse, like cockroaches and tornadoes, is a part of nature.

Dante
San Jose, California
September 1996, Page 2 Frontiersman, 435 South White Road

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA Revolutionary Proposal, below, is an excerpt from The New American Man:  A Call To Arms, by John Bruce Campbell.  The book was originally published by The Press, Box 7136, Carmel, CA 93921, copyright 1983, 1988 by J.B. Campbell.  My copy of the book is a reprint by The American's Bulletin and is accompanied by the following statement:
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
"A letter was sent to 'The Press' and to John B. Campbell and returned 'Unknown' it is in our safe, and if he, or 'The Press' or any of his heirs, assigns, etc. wish to object to the republication of this book they may contact me ...."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCopies of the book can be obtained from The American's Bulletin, c/o 3536 N.  Pacific Highway, Medford, Oregon 97510.  The phone number is (541) 779-7709.
editor

A Revolutionary Proposal
John Bruce Campbell
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA revolution without a revolutionary proposal for change would also be of little value beyond the fighting phase.  Therefore, the following proposals are made
1) A revised and strengthened Bill of Rights be regarded as our supreme law;
2) The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union (modified) be reinstated as an outline for our limited national government, replacing the present Constitution, the provisions of which have broken down;
3) Discard all amendments to the Constitution after the Bill of Rights;
4) Abolish the Federal Reserve System, fractional reserve banking, usury and the lending of credit;
5) Abolish all taxes -- the power to tax being the power to destroy -- except tariffs on foreign goods;
6) Abolish all redistribution of wealth including foreign aid;
7) The new, limited government shall be supported by tariffs on foreign goods.  Those who support foreign producers shall also support the government;
8) Shut down the prisons and release all current prisoners.  We must keep our violence and brutality against public enemies in the open, not hidden away from view.  The threat of imprisonment shall no longer be used as an instrument to intimidate the public into submissive attitudes;
9) There shall be no crime without a victim.  Only Treason cases shall be entitled '"The People v.________"  Victims of crimes will retaliate without fear of becoming criminals themselves.  Jails will be maintained to hold non-bailable defendants for trial;
10) Those convicted in courts will be allowed to give restitution to their victims ranging from money payments for minor crimes to life servitude.  Survivors of murdered victims may kill the convicted murderers or agree to restitution.  Rape victims may kill the convicted rapists or agree to restitution.  Should the convict not comply with restitution, he shall forfeit all rights and have no access to the courts if consequently damaged by another.  The problems of society shall be settled in the streets rather than in prisons -- we shall be responsible for ourselves in all ways;
11) Lawyers have proved so dangerous that they must be prohibited from seeking political office or public employment.  Lawyers must not be allowed to make law -- it is a conflict of interest;
12) All charity shall be voluntary and all schools shall be privately supported by parents and voluntary contributions;
13) America's policy with regard to foreign affairs shall be isolationist.  Businesses will continue to trade overseas but will not be bolstered by the armed forces;
14) Abolish all trade with all countries in the Sino-Soviet empire;
15) Abolish the army and distribute all weapons to the militia;
16) Abolish the navy and distribute all ships and equipment to the Coast Guard;
17) Abolish the air force and distribute all equipment to the militia;
18) Deliver all foreign military bases to the native peoples;
19) The militia shall patrol our national borders and prevent illegal immigration.  Illegal aliens shall have no rights or access to the courts.  Illegals may be executed or deported at the discretion of local militia;
20) Sell all federal property to American citizens.  Henceforth, all private property shall belong to Americans.  All private property currently owned by foreigners shall be sold to Americans at market value.
I think it would be better to give all federal land to the native tribes.
editor

Americans put safety above sense of freedom
Survey:  Majority of respondents are willing to cede liberties to curb terrorism.
Page 3 BoxLos Angeles Times

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWASHINGTON — After the crash of TWA Flight 800 and the bombing at Olympic Centennial Park in Atlanta, a majority of Americans are willing to give up some civil liberties to fight terroism, a new Los Angeles Times Poll has found ....
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"There's this feeling of resignation," said Susan Pinkus, who directed the poll.  "I don't think they feel as secure as they once did.  Their naivete has gone away."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYet as the sense of security has eroded, the nation has grudgingly begun to believe it will have to relinquish some freedoms in the name of safety ....10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neighter liberty nor safety. 
Benjamin Franklin

Frontiersman, 435 South White Road
September 1996, Page 3

Frontiersman 
435 South White Road 
San Jose, California  95127 
Produced at Mere Keep

Flag

On the Road with Buffalo Hunter
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBuff was recently having lunch at a deli in Pennsylvania where he overheard a woman ranting and raving about farmers.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Why," she wanted to know, "are we all so sympathetic with the damned farmers?  Let 'em go out of business!  We don't need 'em anyway!"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBuff couldn't help but lean across toward her table and ask her where she intended to get food, if there were no farmers.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well," she exclaimed, "I'm gonna get it down at the Safeway, just like I always do!"

Sesame Suite
Bernie: Hey Burt!
Burt: Yah, what do you want?
Bernie: What color is a belch?
Burt: I don't want to know!
Bernie: Burple.
Burt: Ahhhgh!
Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat does DNC stand for?

Visiting Chicago
Dear Visiting Chicago
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI had to check with Mildred on this one.  She says it's D&C and it stands for dilation and curettage.  She wouldn't tell me what it means.  I think it has to do with feminists.
Acknowledgments

•     My thanks to Sir John the Generous for his diagnosis and repair of the computer.
•     My thanks to Sir Donald the Elusive for paying the production costs of this newsletter.
•     My thanks to Mars, of Silicon Valley, for procuring, repairing, and maintaining the Mere Keep copier.
editor

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageContact Information — You can contact me in the following ways:  Voice message — 408 272-2817;  Fax or data — 408 729-7918;  U.S.  Mail — 435 South White Road, San Jose, California 95127.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePermission to Reprint — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other publications.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by phone, letter, fax, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

September 1996, Page 4 Frontiersman, 435 South White Road

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue