15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, January 1999
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
False Profits of Boom
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've long believed that interest payments ruin an economy.  However, they've been enshrined as "Next to Holy" by the "experts" who run things.  That makes it difficult to persuade people that interest payments are inherently ruinous.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI once attempted to persuade a friend and he opposed me with an analogy.  Paying interest on a loan, he said, is no different than renting land.  A loan is merely "renting" money and paying interest is analogous to paying rent for the land.  The analogy, of course, is flawed.  When money is borrowed ("rented", according to my friend), payment for the use of the money is made in exactly the same thing as was "rented" — money.  For the analogy to be accurate, therefore, the payment for the rented land must be made in the same thing that was rented — land.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageViewed that way, it's easy to see that it won't work.  It's difficult to acquire land with which to pay the rent.  The longer such rental continues, the more difficult the payments will become.  Eventually, all land will be owned by the lenders.  The same difficulty exists with interest payments on loans of money.  It isn't as obvious because we don't have much experience with money.  We mistakenly believe that currency is the same as money.  However, it isn't.  When an economy uses real money, then the supply of money is limited, just as the supply of land is limited.  As interest payments continue it becomes more difficult to obtain money, just as it becomes more difficult to obtain land in the analogy.  Eventually, all money will be owned by the lenders.  The only way to avoid that is to increase the supply of money.  Since the supply of money is limited, it cannot be increased.  However, unlike land, money can be replaced by a substitute.  The economy will then function using the substitute, the supply of which is limitless.  That is the situation today.  As the supply of currency (the substitute) increases, its value drops.  This means that we need more of it, increasing the need to borrow.  Increased borrowing will reinforce the trend.  Thus, interest payments will destroy any system of real money, force a continuing increase in the amount of currency substituted for it, and force an ongoing decrease in the value of that currency.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Federal Reserve System controls the supply of currency and the interest rates.  This gives it all of the power it needs to regulate how difficult it is for us to survive.  It can make things easy enough to keep us docile but hard enough to make sure that we waste our energy struggling, thereby insuring that we remain harmless.  We've become so entangled in the system of interest payments that it seems impossible to survive without it.  However, I believe that we can.  We can get out of debt, terminate our investments in the "financial" markets, and then try to deal only in cash.  Better yet, we can try to deal only in real money.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
The Rules of Money — To be money, a thing must be durable, portable, divisible without loss, available in limited quantity, generally accepted as money, and must have intrinsic value as money.  The better a thing satisfies these rules, the better it will work as money.
— from Money, by Sam Aurelius Milam III
Economists, like all pseudoscientific charlatans, know that they can hold onto their high-paying jobs only as long as they can keep the common people convinced that money matters are so mysterious that only economists can understand them.
— from The Way to Dawnworld, by Bill Starr
Gresham's law ....  The theory holding that if two kinds of money in circulation have the same denominational value but different intrinsic values, the money with higher intrinsic value will be hoarded and eventually driven out of circulation by the money with lesser intrinsic value.  [After Sir Thomas GRESHAM.]
— The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition

Frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see The Pharos Connection at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
January 1999
Page 1 

Lighting the Way for the Tyranny of the Minority
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe power-crazed regulators of everybody else's behavior are at it again.  This time they're trying to protect the night sky from stray light.  As usual, these do-gooders claim the most virtuous of reasons for coercively imposing their beliefs upon the rest of us.  Their coercive restrictions don't effect their own behavior.  They're attempting to restricted something that they don't do themselves.  I've never yet seen a reformer advocate a law that corrected his own behavior.  See the accompanying excerpt from Parade Magazine.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
"....  In the U.S., a number of cities and counties have enacted 'light pollution' laws designed to control where outside lights shine.  Some of the strongest codes are in Tucson and surrounding Pima County, Ariz.  There, it is illegal to sell or use a light that shines higher than itself (that is, you shouldn't be able to see the bulb from a point higher than the light).  If a light fixture violates the code, the county gives the offending property owner a week or so to change the fixture, then issues a citation."
— from Parade Magazine in the Post Register
Sunday, November 22, 1998

Big Bread and The Need for Tough New Standards
Author unknown;  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA recent Cincinnati Enquirer headline read, "Smell of baked bread may be health hazard."  The article went on to describe the dangers of the smell of baking bread.  The main danger, apparently, is that the organic components of this aroma may break down ozone (I'm not making this stuff up).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was horrified.  When are we going to do something about bread-induced global warming? Sure, we attack tobacco companies, but when is the government going to go after Big Bread?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell, I've done a little research, and what I've discovered should make anyone think twice.
1.  More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread eaters.
2.  Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3.  In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years;  infant mortality rates were unacceptably high;  many women died in childbirth;  and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever and influenza ravaged whole nations.
4.  More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
5.  Bread is made from a substance called "dough."  It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse.  The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
6.  Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low occurrence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease and osteoporosis.
7.  Bread has been proven to be addictive.  Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after only two days.
8.  Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter and even cold cuts.
9.  Bread has been proven to absorb water.  Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.
10.  Newborn babies can choke on bread.
11.  Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit!  That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
12.  Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn light of these frightening statistics, we propose the following bread restrictions:
1.  No sale of bread to minors.
2.  No advertising of bread within 1000 feet of a school.
3.  A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
4.  No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
5.  A $4.2 zillion fine on the three biggest bread manufacturers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePlease send this e-mail on to everyone you know who cares about this crucial issue.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRemember:  Think globally, act idiotically.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
January 1999
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see The Paros Connection at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
 Frontiersman@ida.net

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam;
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTHE DRESS?????? — Was Monica Lewinsky a plant?  A means to bring down President Clinton?  Was she paid to, "have oral sex with him"?  Why did she save the dress????  Why didn't she have the dress cleaned or washed??  I wouldn't want to put a dress on or into my closet if it had "semen" on the thing YUK!!!!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI feel that the "witch hunt" has gone on long enough.  They couldn't get him on the real issues, so they get him for sex??????  What kind of message is this sending the world?  What is going to happen to our freedoms if this is carried through to the end???  This is sending a message that sex is wrong, evil, dirty, and if you do it, it will land you in jail, even if it is with your wife or significant other.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI think Clinton has said, "I'm sorry" enough.  This is now between Clinton, his God, and his family.  "Judge not, that ye be not judged".  Matthew 7:1.  "... He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."  In this case him.  St. John 8:7.
— Jan;  Firth, Idaho
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's a difference between theory & practice, between philosophy & law.  Generally, those who practice politics without a serious political philosophy to justify it are despicable.  This applies both to barbarian hordes stealing, raping, & killing for no particular reason (perhaps your libertarian ideal?), & to 20th century pragmatists robbing physical & intellectual workers, & trying to nuke the world, "because it works" (the latter hasn't worked, & the former is ceasing to work right now, as the final "cycle" of their dirty business is on the down-swing).  Modern constitutional democracy was founded upon Enlightenment Age deist philosophy.  Jefferson expressed that philosophy in the Declaration.  The deists wanted separation of church & state, based upon the history of religious persecution in England, which had been the reason for the founding of the Puritan colonies in New England, & this was made law in the 1st Amendment.  There is no contradiction here between the law & the philosophy upon which it is based.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou advocate any number of private mints, regulated by the government against fraudulent alloys.  I don't see this as a practical example of reducing government control of a necessary product/service.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI understand the difference between an American Sovereign & a US Slave — the former is the theory, the latter is the practice.  Frontiersman says things like:  "The US will have no influence over the behavior of the international court ... Surveillance ... must be opposed, or we lose our liberty."  The US already controls the international court, & we have already lost our freedom.  If we lived in the world you describe, I wouldn't be complaining.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe UN has assumed a "human rights" function.  This is largely a sham in practice.  But the reality is needed in today's political world.  Real tribes & nations are not always those drawn by European colonial mapmakers.  When racist groups like the Serbs, Tutsi, & Israelis practice attempted genocide within the borders they claim for themselves, the world cannot sit by & watch.  The resulting further corruption of the planet would be fatal.  The nuke-loving pragmatists would "win".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely,
— Elliot;  N. Merrick, New York
1.  I didn't advocate that private mints should be regulated by the government.  I said that government might be useful for purposes of assay.  That doesn't imply regulation or even monopoly.  There should be nothing to keep other institutions besides the government from offering assay services, or to keep people or private mints from using whichever service they like, or none at all.
2.  If the U.N. cared about violations of "human rights" (to use your terminology), then it wouldn't have promoted the deaths of all those children in Iraq for a purely political agenda.  In fact, the "human rights" function of the U.N. is an excuse to increase its power (e.g. control Saddam Hussein).  "Human rights" violations provide the U.N. with a lot of self-justification, and it shouldn't be a surprise that the U.N. doesn't prevent such atrocities from occurring.  Indeed, it's in the self-interest of the U.N. to have them occur.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAtrocities are caused when people refuse to tolerate beliefs other than their own.  Instead, they use force to impose their beliefs on people who do not share them.  This leads to resentment, hostility, hatred and, eventually, to atrocities.  Government isn't a cure for such behavior.  If anything, government encourages it.  Atrocity prevention must begin at home.  If we want to promote "human rights", then we should stop expecting the U.N. to do it for us, and start doing it for ourselves.  Ask yourself this question:  what am I doing in my own life to reduce the bigotry and intolerance that ultimately leads to hate crimes, mass murder, and attempted genocide?
— editor

Frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
January 1999
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho 83236 

If everybody was treated
equally before the law,
then Janet Reno would
have been treated the
same as Sheik Omar
Abdel Rahman.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you can guess how many deer I got this season, I'll give you both of 'em.
— Deer Hunter
Dear Deer Hunter
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThree?  (Are we related?)

Acknowledgments
•     My thanks to Shirley, of Urbana, Illinois;  Millie, of El Granada, California;  and Sir James the Bold and Lady Helen the Gracious for their contributions.
•     My thanks to The Affiliate, of Vankleek Hill, Ontario for regularly printing reviews of the Frontiersman.
•     My thanks to Sir Donald the Elusive for paying the production costs of this newsletter and for his additional contributions.

— editor

Do You Remember When....
Author unknown.  Forwarded by Millie, of El Granada, California.

CUT you did with a pocket knife?
PASTE you did with glue?
A WEB was a spider's home?
And a VIRUS was the flu?

Before Computers, I Remember When ...
LOG ON was adding wood to the fire,
A HARD DRIVE was a long trip on the road,
A MOUSE PAD was where a mouse lived,
And a BACKUP happened to your commode.

I guess I'll stick to my pad and paper
And the MEMORY in my head
I hear nobody's been killed in a COMPUTER CRASH
But when it happens they wish they were dead.

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other publications.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and U.S. postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

January 1999
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E.  700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 Frontiersman@ida.net

PDF Version of This Insert With Links
PDF Version of This Insert to Print
Back to the Beginning of This Issue
Dear Readers
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe're presently trying to survive by doing deliveries for a local newspaper.  However, the paper route doesn't come close to covering our expenses.  I estimate that if things continue as they are, then our savings will be gone in less than a year.  If we don't secure an adequate source of cash by that time, then we won't have a way to survive.  We'll probably have to abandon or sell most of what we own.  I'll be forced to terminate the Frontiersman and The Pharos Connection.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'd appreciate any help that any of you can afford to give.  If you feel that you can make a contribution or a pledge, I'd prefer that you send cash.  If you'd rather send a check, then please make it payable to Jan Mecham.  The address is 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho 83236.
Sincerely,

Sam Aurelius Milam III

Back to the Beginning of This Issue