15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, March 1999
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Principle Failure
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was a libertarian long before the Libertarian Party began, and joined it shortly after its formation.  In those early days, we didn't care if our candidates were elected to office.  Our goal was to educate people.  We knew that as we succeeded, and our ideas gained in popularity, they'd be pirated by the major parties.  However, we didn't care if the other parties got credit for our ideas, just so long as it was our ideas that solved the problems.  We were the party of principle.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGradually, the Libertarian Party lost its purity of principle.  Libertarians began to apologize for their principles and lose sight of their original goals.  Expediency began to supersede principle.  I saw many examples over the years, and complained about some of them.  The most recent example to come to my attention appeared in the article Toward A Libertarian World,1 by Mark Hinkle.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMr. Hinkle began his article, "As always, I'll begin by restating our primary goals for 1998 ...  1.  Build our ranks to 7,000 dues paying members;  2.  Build our pledge program to generate $6,000 per month;  3.  Maintain ballot status."  Mr. Hinkle has enumerated some of the necessary mechanics of running a party but inappropriately elevated them to the status of party goals.  Libertarian goals should be things like trying to abolish mandatory drug testing, disarm the SWAT teams, or oppose the escalating national ID system.  Raising money and boosting membership are appropriate support functions, but they are not "primary goals".  This failure to understand the difference between logistics and objectives is a good example of why the Libertarian Party continues to be such a failure at solving the problems it was originally intended to address.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

^ 
LPC Monthly, The Official Newsletter of the Libertarian Party of California, Nov./Dec. 1998, page 4
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
License to What?
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSeveral years ago, I observed the situation of a young lady who went into the Kaiser hospital in Santa Clara, California, to have a baby.  During her few days there, every possible attempt was made to prevent her from smoking.  Although she had smoked like a chimney during her entire pregnancy and fully intended to keep doing so after the delivery, the nurses couldn't stop whining about the horrible consequences that smoking would cause for her baby.  They seemed to be too stupid to realize that, compared to the long-term situation, a few days of enforced abstinence wouldn't matter.  However, I don't believe that they were stupid.  I believe that they were arrogant.  They had this lady under their control and they took full advantage of the opportunity to impose their beliefs upon her.  The fact is that they weren't behaving as nurses, but as evangelists on a Holy Crusade.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI know of another, more recent example of the same kind of thing.  An acquaintance of mine, a man who drinks a lot of beer, was recently in the hospital for pneumonia.  Predictably, he was prohibited from drinking beer while in the hospital.  Predictably, he was drinking again shortly after his release.  So far as I can tell the only consequence of the prohibition was to add to his already difficult hospitalization the additional strain of temporary withdrawal from alcohol.  It was another example of medical evangelism instead of medical treatment.  I understand that some medicine reacts adversely with alcohol.  In that case, the doctor should be sufficiently astute to avoid prescribing such medicine to an alcoholic.  If he isn't, then he shouldn't be prescribing medicine.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegardless of his alleged superior knowledge, a doctor should never give a patient orders.  He should give advice.  A nurse should never enforce discipline.  She should offer treatment and comfort.  A medical license is a license to offer aid and assistance, not a license to impose belief systems or dictate behavior.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see The Pharos Connection at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
March 1999
Page 1 

Sad But True
compiled by Jeffrey Trunzer from actual news reports
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBridgeport, Connecticut, and the unified Miami-Dade County government in Florida recently joined the growing ranks of local governments announcing they will sue gun makers in an attempt to recover the costs of gun violence.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAuto makers beware! You'll soon be reimbursing cities for the costs of high speed chases by cops, drive-by shootings, bent road signs, or any other "misuse" of a car, because you didn't control the resale of used cars.
— editor

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePerhaps there is a loss of wealth in lending.  But in a society lacking other safeguards against homelessness for those down on the dough, to make shutting the banks an absolute, neglects concern for human welfare.  If one accepts banking as a necessary, perhaps temporary evil, it is preferable that the government do it, as an (at least for now) needed service, rather than having private parasites use it to squeeze personal profit out of the needs of others, perhaps, as you say, at a net loss to everyone.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAristotle defined form of government according to number of rulers:  one — monarchy;  the few — oligarchy;  the many — democracy.  Plato defined form of government according to which class ruled (implying economic system):  aristocracy — Plato used this term for his ideal State, ruled by intellectuals;  timocracy — military rule (fascism);  oligarchy — rule by the merchants & bankers (bourgeois, middle-class, plutocracy, capitalism);  democracy — rule by the working majority;  tyranny — rule by a tyrant, often a former demagogue under democracy, like Julius Caesar.  Plato's classifications seem to me more useful than Aristotle's & their "scientific" predictive character is demonstrated by the fact that Caesar's (& Hitler's) career could be predicted in the Republic.  Dictatorship & despotism imply tyranny only from the democratic point of view.  The ancients & Voltaire & communism believed in benevolent dictatorship or enlightened despotism — e.g. Pericles, Trajan, Frederick the Great, Lenin.  The idea that representative democracy is not democracy but oligarchy is an illusion, & a confusion of terms.  The Athenians had more plebiscites & referendums than the US does, but they did elect politicians to manage the state on a daily basis.  If the US is an oligarchy, it's because the billionaire merchants control the government behind the scenes.  But I agree with your central idea that what is important is the behavior of the government.  We must struggle to transform the government to serve rather than oppress people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely,

— Elliot;  N. Merrick, New York
Democracy exists when the masses make the political decisions.  Oligarchy exists when the privileged few do so.  The oligarchs may be elected in the USA, but they're oligarchs just the same.
— editor
Dear Editor,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI must disagree with your Fantasy Machine article regarding your First and Second laws of Economics.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe First law example of the grocery store purchase explains that the inherent (?) value of groceries in equivalent units (?) is less than the inherent value of the money used to purchase the groceries.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn fact, the purchaser of the groceries must value the groceries more than the purchase money.  Why else would purchaser buy the groceries?  And the seller of the groceries must value the purchase money more than the groceries.  Why else would the seller offer the groceries for sale?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe voluntary purchase of groceries (or any voluntary transaction) is a win-win situation for both parties and each party exchanges something for more value than he is giving up.  Both parties have exchanged something for higher value.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn observer to the transaction may feel that the groceries are worth less or more than the purchase money, but -- so what.  A women paid thousands of dollars for Elvis Presley's fingernail clippings.  I may not agree with her, but again, so what!  There is no such thing as "value in equivalent units."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAll voluntary transactions take place because each party exchanges something for more value.
— Bob;  Lee's Summit, Missouri
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that it's possible to directly and accurately compare the value of different commodities.  The trick is to understand value objectively instead of subjectively.  That means we must distinguish between the actual value of something and how desirable or useful it is to us.  In the car example, where I've used energy as analogous to value, there is less energy in the speed of the car than there was in the gasoline.  The reason the driver accepts the loss of energy in the process is that the smaller amount of energy in the speed is more useful to him than the larger amount of energy in the gasoline.  In your example, the value of the fingernail
March 1999
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 Frontiersman@ida.net

clippings was probably less than the value of the money the lady paid for them.  She was willing to accept the loss in value because the fingernail clippings were more desirable to her than the money.  Generally, what you buy isn't greater in objective value than what you pay for it.  It is only more useful or desirable to you.  If you measure value objectively, then even a win-win transaction doesn't result in each party receiving more value than he gives.  That would create value out of nothing.  What actually happens is that each party receives something that is more useful or desirable to him, but probably of less objective value than what he traded for it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the grocery store example, the value of the customer's money must pay for much more than the food he buys.  It must also pay for the total cost of transferring the food from the producer to the shopping cart.  This is necessary because the customer's money is the only place that the people accomplishing the transfer can get the value that is represented by their pay checks.  Except when food is improved by some form of processing, it's value is never more than it was when the producer sold it, yet its cost goes up at each step of the transfer process.  If the customer wants the value of the food he buys to be approximately equal to the value of the money that he pays for the it, then he must buy the food directly from the producer.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that there is such a thing as objective value, or value in equivalent units, as you called it.  We just haven't figured out how to measure it.  If we use an objective unit of measure, instead of dollars, that measurement might not be as difficult as it seems.  If we do learn how to precisely compare the values of different things using a unit of measure that is constant from time to time and place to place, then we will have transformed economics from legerdemain into science.
— editor
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF Image....  Are you enjoying the "comic tragedy" as much as I am?  I guess that the 130 or so who were convicted of "perjury" will be filing their H/C [habeas corpus] writs as soon as the "trial" is over?!
— Eric;  Tehachapi, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI presume that you refer to the impeachment situation.  I haven't printed much about it in this newsletter, but here's my opinion.  I believe Clinton didn't owe the citizens an apology at all.  There's nothing in his oath of office about marital fidelity.  The marital contract is a separate agreement and it's between him and Hillary, not between him and the citizens.  Hillary is the only person to whom an apology might have been due, and we don't even know that for sure.  Maybe she knew about Monica, and didn't object.  Maybe they have an open marriage.  It wasn't anybody's business except theirs, which Clinton correctly stated in his first coerced "apology".  The level of puritan venom directed at him by self-righteous critics is far more a condemnation of the critics than it is of Clinton.  I doubt if there's a man among us (or them) who hasn't had an occasional affair, or who hasn't wanted to have one, and who wouldn't have done the same thing Clinton did if he thought he could get away with it.  I've had a number of affairs and I don't intend to apologize for any of them.  Therefore, I won't criticize Clinton for having an affair.  That's Hillary's job, if anybody's.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe argument that an "elected official" should havea higher ethical standard than the citizens is just another way of saying that the citizens should have a lower ethical standard than the elected officials.  That's a cop-out for self-righteous citizens, and it's absurd.  Since the officials are drawn from among the pool of citizens, you have to expect the officials to have the same standards as the citizens.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOur "culture" has assumed such a malicious condemnation of sexual pleasure that no politician in his right mind would admit to having an affair.  I'm amazed that Bob Livingston did.  If you make it plain that all witches will be slowly burned at the stake, then ask a man if he's a witch, you have to expect him to deny being a witch.  It was naive of anyone to expect Clinton to admit to an affair.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs the sorry situation developed, I didn't see anybody lambasting the feminists for being too stupid to foresee the predictable consequences of forcing men and women together in the same workplace.  I've been proclaiming those consequences for years.  All I got for my trouble was to be accused of hating women.  I didn't see anybody lambasting the Holier-Than-Thou Fundamentalist Christians for proclaiming sexual pleasure to be a filthy perversion.  Has this mess taught members of either group anything about normal sexual behavior or about the consequences of sexually integrated workplaces?  Don't bet on it.  They're to blinded by their agendas to actually learn anything.  The years-long barrage of escalating feminist and Fundamentalist Christian brainwashing that created the current repressive mindset never gets considered among the causes of things.  The lunatic reformers just select another set of victims and launch another witch hunt.  It's a fitting pastime only for hypocrites, evangelists, and fools.
— editor

Frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
March 1999
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho 83236

Crime prevention is
more dangerous than crime.
Crime is a tool of
scoundrels.
Crime prevention is
a tool of government.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI just don't understand it.  What causes popcorn to pop?
— Baffled
Dear Baffled
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHeat.

Acknowledgments
•     My thanks to Bob, of Lee's Summit, Missouri, for his contribution.
•     My thanks to my reviewers for their invaluable assistance.
•     My thanks to The Affiliate, of Vankleek Hill, Ontario for regularly printing reviews of the Frontiersman.
•     My thanks to Sir Donald the Elusive for paying the production costs of this newsletter and for his additional contributions.

— editor

Funnies For You
Source unknown.  Forwarded by Warren, of Pocatello, Idaho
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Interior Dept. is spending $100,000 to train beagles to sniff out brown tree snakes in Hawaii.  The snakes have destroyed a large number of bird species and cause power outages by crawling on to electrical transformers.  Unfortunately, there aren't any brown tree snakes in Hawaii.  They're in Guam.  (The gov't. is also considering $100,000 for mongooses to keep cobras out of North Dakota.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDuring the 1980s, Defense Dept. efficiency experts saved between $27 million and $136 million each year.  However, the efficiency experts work cost between $150 million and $300 million each year.  (...efficiently conning the government!)

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other publications.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and U.S. postage stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

March 1999
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E.  700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 Frontiersman@ida.net

PDF Version of This Insert With Links
PDF Version of This Insert to Print
Back to the Beginning of This Issue
Uncertain Deadline
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe possibility still exists that my funding will be terminated on or about the end of March.  If that happens, and if I don't secure a replacement source of cash by that time, then it's possible that I will, shortly thereafter, discontinue mailings of the Frontiersman. If so, I will post future issues on my website for as long as I can maintain the website.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've received a few contributions, but not enough to cover our expenses.  I haven't received any pledges at all.  If you feel that you can make a contribution or a pledge, I'd appreciate it.  I'd prefer that you send cash, but if you'd rather send a check then please make it payable to John Webster.  If you have a different suggestion, I'll be happy to hear it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMail your contributions to me at:
479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho 83236.
Sincerely, —Sam Aurelius Milam III

Back to the Beginning of This Issue