15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, March 2001
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe USA as a Target for Terrorists — Here's a dandy way to keep the USA from being a target for terrorists.  Repeal the U.S. Constitution and terminate the federal union.  That would result in the American states becoming politically independent nations, with "full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."  See the Declaration of Independence.  That's what the American states were after they declared their independence from England.  They can be that again.  After all, most American states are bigger and more powerful than many nations in the world, nations that seem to get along OK in spite of their small size.  In the short term, it would serve to "remove the target" from the terrorists.  With regard to one world government, it would be a step in the right direction.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHuman Rights and the "Rule of Law" — The notion of human rights can be merely a tool that any particular group of evangelists uses to impose its will on other people, who don't share the same beliefs.  If the evangelists don't believe in child labor, then they call it a human rights violation and forcibly prevent other people from practicing it.  If they don't practice abortion, then they call it a human rights violation and forcibly prevent other people from doing it.  The list is endless.  The fact is that it isn't any of our business if other people are doing something that we regard as wrong.  That is their business.  They are as entitled to their beliefs as we are to ours.  What matters is that they don't force us to practice their beliefs and we don't force them to practice ours.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen the "Rule of Law" is used as an excuse to enforce somebody's notion of human rights on somebody else, then it becomes nothing more than a tool for controlling other peoples' behavior.  It becomes an evil thing in the hands of governments or special interest groups.  It is a good thing only in the hands of individuals, where it becomes the law of contracts.  Governments invoke the "Rule of Law" to condemn us when we defend ourselves or enforce our own rights.  However, the only proper place for the "Rule of Law" is in the hands of individuals.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSlavery and the "Rule of Law" — If legislation applies to everybody, whether they want it to or not, then how do you tell the difference between that and the situation of the Negroes in the old south?  The "law" applied to them, whether they wanted it to or not.  The sad fact is that any situation, good or bad, can be enacted as legislation.  Then, by the "Rule of Law", the situation (good or bad) is enforceable.  The only protection against the tyranny of the "Rule of Law" is to acknowledge that legislation applies only to those who voluntarily submit to its jurisdiction.  Otherwise, there isn't any difference between slavery and the "Rule of Law".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRights — The fact is that neither you nor I can enforce somebody else's rights for him.  If he can't enforce his rights for himself, then he doesn't have any rights.  When we try to do it for him, then we are converting his rights into privileges, which then exist only at our behest.  When we try to do that to somebody, then he should regard us as an enemy of his liberty, because that's exactly what we are.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCitizenship — When citizenship is regarded as mandatory, then there isn't any difference between citizenship and slavery.  Citizenship must be voluntary, and it must not be a prerequisite to participation in business and other transactions.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf I thought that the advantages of U.S. citizenship outweighed the disadvantages, then I might want to be a citizen.  However, I'm delighted to be deprived of the alleged benefits of citizenship, just so long as I'm also relieved of the burdens and obligations.  In my opinion, U.S. citizenship is a bad deal.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see The Pharos Connection at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
March 2001
Page 1 

Reprints from K-House eNews:
Education Bills May Be Trouble for Home Schoolers
http://www.khouse.org/enews/2001-01-30.html
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSeveral education bills will be introduced to Congress, including an education tax credit provision, which would provide a substantial credit on federal income taxes for educational expenses.  The advantage of such a provision is that it would provide home, private and public school families the opportunity to reduce their tax burdens, and allow them to spend more on their children's education.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut many advocates of education tax cuts or vouchers do not seem aware of the issue's down side.  Currently the country's "educratic" system — the Departments of Labor and Education plus the private think tanks, foundations, and regional laboratories — have made it clear they do not intend to allow private and home school children to evade their web of control (and money).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis control would be exercised by imposing nationally standardized testing on even private and home schoolers, who would have to demonstrate standardized exit outcomes — about 50% of which are psycho-social in nature and not academic — in order to progress to an institute of higher learning or even get a job under Careers and School-to-Work.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis comprehensive overall plan of womb-to-tomb federal education has been in the works for well over two decades.  It consists of an interlocking net of educators, government officials, social workers and private industry, all of whom would monitor the activities of each family and record the information in a nationally accessible database.  The plan has been passing into law piecemeal in sections of seemingly disconnected legislation.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRather than being something new, President Bush's new "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" plan seems to be cementing the direction education has been taking.  The plan gives states, districts, and public schools increased flexibility, while requiring higher standards of accountability.  This would mean annual "assessments" for ALL students.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMany parents are unaware that federal education has made a major emphasis change from academics to job training, modeled on the Soviet system of education.  Thus the "assessments" to be required will most likely mean conforming to politically correct norms of thought, mental health, and other parameters, which have nothing to do with academic education.  This very shift is the one reason so many parents are fleeing the public school system.  An imposition of these requirements would just shove them back into the system.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe use of tax credits or vouchers will invariably be easy at first as private and home schoolers begin to receive money and get used to it as part of their family budgets.  But once they become "addicted" to the federal money, more and more demands will be made in order to continue to receive it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShortly thereafter, there will be little difference between public school and home schooling, because home schoolers will be jumping through the same politically correct and psychosocial hoops they sought to escape from in the first place.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCurrently, President Bush's education Plan exempts home schoolers from federal control.  However, the devil is in the details and the legislative language has not yet been written.  Stay tuned.

Related Link:
Numerous Education Articles - Kjos Ministries
<http://www.crossroad.to/text/articles.html>

European Social Security Numbers
http://www.khouse.org/enews/2001-02-06.html
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageE.U. officials in Brussels are now proposing that social security numbers, similar to those used in the United States, be issued to European workers.  The supposed reason for the proposal is to allow workers to move throughout the European Union and make their entitlements to benefits and insurance contributions more portable.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageConservatives in the U.K. are skeptical, regarding this as one more attempt to establish an European superstate.  Christians are also concerned that this is one step closer to the Biblical mark of the beast mentioned in Revelation.

Related Link:
EU Plans To Issue 'Identity Number' For Every Citizen - Independent.co.u
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/World/Europe/2001-02/eu050201.shtml>10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

March 2001
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Letters to the Editor
(Received by e-mail)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageVictimology 101 — I've had some excitement over the past couple of days.  I recently changed jobs;  actually this is my first week back at a previous job in response to an aggressive offer from a former boss.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere is now a female engineer in the department who has been there about 6-8 months.  She tries to pretend she's doing very high level work and treats the rest of us condescendingly.  I understand several people have complained about her abrasive personality.  Anyway, I was talking with another guy yesterday afternoon when this woman interrupted us to offer her assistance in getting me "up to speed", and began chiding the other guy for not consulting her to teach him his job.  Maybe she was trying to be helpful, but tactlessly, and the guy didn't like it.  He finally changed the subject abruptly by asking about her recent surgery.  I didn't like being interrupted either, but wanted to try to diffuse the situation, so without thinking carefully, I jokingly blurted, "Are you going to show us your scar?"  I sensed trouble from her immediate reaction.  Today she told Bob, our boss that I offended her.  Bob dutifully talked to each of us individually, reminding us to be careful not to say anything someone might find offensive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLate this afternoon, the woman confronted me directly about my misbehavior.  Even after my profuse apology, she kept nagging about how inappropriate, unfunny and unprofessional my comment was, and how she didn't appreciate the other guy's amused reaction to it, until finally I lost patience.  I told her I considered it unprofessional for a "professional" to tattle on others and make a stink over such a trivial issue.  Perhaps I should have offered to let her chop off a couple of my fingers or my tongue.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've heard about incidents such as this and been curious about how ridiculous an extent they might go.  Maybe I'll get fired tomorrow.  Maybe I'll go to prison.  It will be fun to watch developments.
— Steve;  Fremont, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeware of the feminazis.
— editor

(Received by e-mail)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOf course it is correct that in society, we need to curb our 'naturally' bad behavior.  We should not use filthy language in mixed company, for example.  But today's feminists, big-brother liberals, and PC advocates always seem to push for bringing the sexes together into situations that common sense and our understanding of the differences between men & women would advise us to be artificially volatile.  To suggest that women should be, e.g., in foxholes during wars, in submarines, and even as part of fire-brigades and police forces, is to demonstrate the intelligence of a ... well, of a ninny goat.  My strong belief — not easily proved — is that, if a social structure goes too far in obliterating the NATURAL distinctions between the sexes, because of a false sense of political equality, the natural proclivity that normal men have to respect and protect women will eventually deteriorate and an unwholesome competitiveness and resentment against women will set in and will eventually injure, not only women, but future generations of children, of both sexes.  It is already considered in many quarters, and by many famous "role model" personalities, de trop for a woman to need a father for her child and for her child's upbringing.  [We need not even bring up the issues of shame and social disapproval;  such antediluvian sensibilities have already been cast aside a generation or more ago!]  Fortunately, not all women are as unaware as the feminists seem to be of where the feminist bandwagon is really heading.  Many are rebelling, as the recent popularity of the book by Laura Doyle seems to indicate.  That book — The Surrendered Wife:  A Practical Guide to Finding Intimacy, Passion, and Peace With a Man — which seems to advocate (I've not read the book, only several reviews) that a woman need not become an Archie Bunker within a marriage relationship to gain some level of respect and independence from her husband, is now being viciously attacked by the liberal and feminist intellectuals.  In principle, carefully studying human nature can be very instructive and beneficial to the resolution of our many social problems.

— Ted;  somewhere in California

Dear Readers
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy situation isn't so good nowadays.  I need cash contributions or pledges.  Is anybody willing to help?

— editor

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
March 2001
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho 83236 

Governments don't solve
problems.  They create them.
Only people can solve
problems.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat basic features should I look for in a compact?
— Car Hunter
Dear Car Hunter
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePowder, mirror, and powder puff.  Are we related?

Acknowledgments
• My thanks to The Affiliate, of Vankleek Hill, Ontario, http://www.the-grand-barn.com/, and The Thought, of Glendale, Arizona, http://home.att.net/~guildmaster/wsb for printing reviews of the Frontiersman.
• My thanks to Sir John the Generous http://www.jwebster.com/, and Sir Donald the Elusive for their contributions. 

— editor

Does Anybody Know?
Source Unknown — forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive
•     When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?
•     If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?
•     Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?
•     What hair color do they put on driver's licenses of bald men?
•     I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older.  Then it dawned on me that they're cramming for their final exam.
•     I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks and I wondered if Chinese mothers use toothpicks.
•     Last night I played a blank tape at full blast.  The mime next door went nuts.

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and U.S.  postage stamps.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  I don't accept anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

March 2001
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue