15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, April 2003
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Personally Responsible
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageU.S. soldiers didn't go overseas to play ping pong, but to kill people.  That being the case, they have an obligation to be in the right.  Being in the wrong can arise from either malice or ignorance. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnyone who professes to exercise free will, anyone who claims to be a member of a free and open society, cannot pass the buck of blame to his leaders.  A slave must obey mindlessly, but a free man must consider first.  Any American who goes overseas to engage in war, and who believes himself to occupy the latter condition, rather than the former, has an obligation to first educate himself.  He must study at least three things:  international law, the principles of liberty, and the history and causes of the conflict.  If he studies those things, then he will learn at least three lessons.  He will learn that noninterference in the internal affairs of a sovereign state is among the most important of the principles of international law.  He will learn that the presumption of innocence is among the most fundamental of the principles of liberty.  He will learn that, at this particular time in history, the U.S. government is the most arrogant and hypocritical terrorist organization on the face of the earth.  If an American soldier goes to war without learning those lessons, then he goes to war in ignorance.  If he learns the lessons and goes to war anyway, then he goes to war with malice.  An Iraqi who is killed either by ignorance or by malice is just as dead, either way.  The man who did the deed, if his action was unjustified, is just as guilty whether he did it in ignorance or out of malice.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe war is reprehensible.  Those who are fighting it, whether from ignorance or from malice, must be deemed responsible for the consequences of their actions.  If I support them, then I must also support their actions.  I cannot do that.  Therefore, I do not support them.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHybrid Scam — I don't remember the exact number, but it seems to me that the car makers are claiming something like 80 miles per gallon for their new hybrid vehicles.  Really?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's a fact of thermodynamics that the more energy conversions there are in a process, then the less thermodynamically efficient the overall process will be.  So, consider hybrid vehicles.  If energy is converted from chemical energy in gasoline to electrical energy in a wire, and then converted from electrical energy in a wire to chemical energy in a battery, and then converted from chemical energy in a battery to electrical energy in a wire, and then converted from electrical energy in a wire to kinetic energy in the vehicle, the process will be less efficient, due to all those energy conversions.  On the other hand, if energy is converted from chemical energy in gasoline directly to kinetic energy in the vehicle, there are fewer conversions and the overall process will be more efficient.  So, if they can make a hybrid vehicle run 80 miles on a gallon of gasoline, then they should be able to use the same engine, the same gasoline, and the same vehicle, eliminate the hybrid stuff, and make the vehicle run maybe 150 miles or so on the gallon of gasoline.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSevere Acute Government Syndrome — I've heard occasional rumors, over the years, that AIDS escaped from a government development program.  When I first heard of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, that's the first thought that occurred to me.  Consider that people have been contending with biological agents for millennia.  Germs aren't anything new except maybe for those rumored "new diseases", created in the government labs.  By the way, the government labs aren't rumors.  Their existence is well documented.  Regarding the old standby diseases, we don't need a Department of Homeland Stupidity to protect us from them.  We just need to wash our hands often, cook our meat thoroughly, keep the water clean, be careful

Arrow Right

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
April 2003
Page 1 

who we kiss, and don't let the dog lick us on the face.  Regarding the "new diseases", it's idiotic to expect the governments to protect us from them, when it was the governments that created them.  It would be more efficient to just protect ourselves from the governments in the first place, by preventing them from engaging in such outrageous activities as producing new diseases.  Biological weapons aren't the problem.  Governments are the problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAircrap Carriers — The Anthrax attack a year or so ago succeeded in killing only a few people, and nobody was even prepared for it.  So, now that everybody owns a case of duct tape and a long strip of plastic sheeting (Hurrah for the Department of Homeland Stupidity!), a biological attack that achieves as many as a few hundred deaths seems like a very successful biological attack indeed.  We're willing to sacrifice our privacy and other liberties to prevent such a hypothetical attack. Yet there are tens of millions of people suffering and dying, all over the world, from the consequences of disease, poverty, famine, persecution, wars, and so forth.  There isn't a terrorist alive who can come even remotely close to causing that much harm.1  Meanwhile, the U.S. government can spend maybe a hundred billion dollars on a war to allegedly prevent the use of hypothetically existing weapons of mass destruction by enemies that the U.S. government created itself.  If the U.S. government had spent the same funds on addressing the problems just mentioned, then nobody would have wanted to harm us in the first place.  Instead of spending billions of dollars on aircraft carriers to destroy enemies that it created itself, the U.S. government could spend billions of dollars on hospital ships, to create friends.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMiss Kitty Hawk — I saw on the news where somebody proposed a brilliantly ingenious solution to the problem of sexual misbehavior at the Air Force Academy, in Colorado Springs. They're thinking about segregating male and female students into separate living quarters.  Wow.  What a wild idea.  Sexual segregation.  Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to sexually segregate the entire armed forces. Might not be such a bad idea.  Did anybody but me notice that the Commanding Officer of the U.S.S.2 Kitty Hawk, while recently en route to the Persian Gulf, was relieved of duty because of an "inappropriate relationship" with a female crew member?3  Uh huh.  If they'd been on separate ships, then maybe it wouldn't have happened.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTitle of Nobility — One of my subscribers in Canada recently commented on my observation that a driver's license is a title of nobility.  He said it was the silliest thing he's seen from me yet.  Maybe things are different in Canada.  In this country, a driver's license is a title of nobility.  Anybody who thinks otherwise can test the idea for himself.  Just cancel the driver's license and live without it for a year or two.  Such an individual will discover that, without a driver's license, he's a commoner, prohibited from participation in just about everything and punished if he tries.  With a driver's license, however, such a person is an aristocrat, with access to all of the privileges and benefits of the aristocracy.  Whether or not it's a silly idea is irrelevant.  A driver's license is a title of nobility.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Principles of Liberty — The U.S. government claims to promote the principles of liberty around the world.  One of those principles is the presumption of innocence.  A preemptive attack against another nation abrogates the presumption of innocence for that nation.  If the U.S. government really adhered to the principles of liberty, then Ari Fleischer wouldn't have made so many stupid statements about Saddam Hussein's regime bearing the burden of proof of its innocence.  According to the principles of liberty, the accuser (U.S. government) bears the burden of proof.  The accused (Saddam Hussein's regime) should have been presumed innocent, and should not have been compelled to provide information that might have been used against it.  UN Resolution 1441 violated that principle.  Saddam Hussein's regime also should have had the right to remain silent.  The UN Resolution violated that principle, as well.  The stated principles are among the several principles of liberty.  Either you live by the principles, or you don't.  Either they apply in every
Arrow Right
 ^ 
... unless, of course, you recognize that governments are the real terrorists.
 ^ 
Undue Sexual Stress
 ^ 
I didn't hear that they did anything to the woman.
General Presumption:  Man Guilty.  Woman Innocent.

April 2003
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

case, or they don't apply at all.  If the U.S. government is going to promote them around the world, then it must also be bound by them around the world.  If the U.S. government behaves as poorly as the enemy, and uses the enemy's methods, then the U.S. government is the enemy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAugusta National Golf Club — There isn't any justification for women to object to a male-only institution.  After all, it was the women who complained about "double standards" and inequality, and I see advertisements all the time for female-only institutions and activities.  Yet today, women continue their campaign to ruthlessly obliterate every remaining vestige of male-only activities, while continuing to insist on their own absolute right to female-only situations.  They have thereby become advocates of the double standards and inequality that they claim to despise.  Either equality works both ways, or it doesn't work at all.  If women don't stop harassing outfits like the Augusta National Golf Club, then I say we should send the complainers back to the kitchen and the bedroom.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHydrogen Power — It seems that the latest fad in powering vehicles and producing electricity for household use is hydrogen.  I've seen its virtues touted lately on several news programs.  Here's what I haven't seen.  I haven't seen anybody explain where they're going to get the hydrogen.  They can't pump it out of the ground or scoop it out of the atmosphere.  They have to produce it.  I always thought thermodynamics was a known science, but it doesn't seem that way on the news.  Producing hydrogen fuel is going to be an endothermic process, and they won't get more energy out of the hydrogen than it takes to produce it.  If they use petroleum as the energy source to produce the hydrogen, and then use the hydrogen (for example) to power cars, then it would be more efficient to just use the petroleum to power the cars.  I think we're being scammed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWeapon of Mass Inadequacy — Iraq's al Samud missiles had a range of about 100 miles, which means that Saddam Hussein's best effort to launch a nuclear missile at us would have fallen a little short of our borders.  Maybe he would have accidentally hit Lebanon.  The U.N. weapons inspectors got him to run over 1/3 to 1/2 of those missiles with bulldozers during the last few weeks before Bush's insane war, reducing the threat even further.  They were cheering in Lebanon.  Maybe there was some other stupid reason to justify the war.  If the wind had been right, maybe Saddam Hussein could have released a cloud of poisonous gas and let it drift our direction.  If the wind had changed, there would have been misery in Lebanon.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWeapon of Mass Stupidity — Speaking of chemical attacks, some retreating Iraqi soldiers abandoned a lot of gear designed to provide protection against chemical attacks.  U.S. authorities cited such gear, in the possession of Iraqi soldiers, as evidence of the Iraqi's intention to launch chemical attacks.  Oh, really?  I suppose the much larger inventory of more sophisticated anti-chemical warfare gear in the possession of U.S. forces proved the intention of U.S. forces to launch chemical attacks.  Duuhhh ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIraq — I've seen estimates of the cost of Bush's war of aggression ranging from 60 billion dollars into the trillions.  With that much money, he could have made every Iraqi man, woman, and child so wealthy that Saddam Hussein would have been irrelevant.  Instead of dropping millions of leaflets, why didn't he just drop the $100 billion (in cash) that he was so willing to spend on destruction, and make friends out of everybody in the entire country, instead?  If the Iraqis really hated Saddam Hussein so much, then why didn't Bush just drop millions of Uzis, anti-tank rocket launchers, hand grenades, and gas masks to the Iraqi people?  Then they could have ousted the rascal themselves.  That would have been a heck of a lot cheaper, and the American soldiers could have stayed at home and enjoyed the prescription drug benefits that could have been provided with the left-over war funds.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Help me defend liberty.
•  Make and distribute extra copies of the Frontiersman.
•  Publicize Pharos:
http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
•  Shop at Moonlight Sales:
http://www.myplanet.net/moonlightsales/Moonlight_Sales.html
•  Send cash contributions (no checks, please) to Frontiersman, 479 E.  700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236.
•  Seek liberty in your own life.

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
April 2003
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho  83236 

Get tough on government.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm looking for a wife.  Any suggestions?
—Eligible Bachelor
Dear Eligible Bachelor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJust don't let her husband find out about it.

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Lady Helen the Gracious, Lady Shirley the Benevolent, Sir James the Bold, Sir John the GenerousThe Thought, of Glendale, Arizona, Rodney, of Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia, Eric, of Jamestown, California, and Karl, of Windsor, Connecticut.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpecial thanks again to Lady Helen the Gracious and Sir James the Bold.

— editor

Caution, Puns Ahead
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
•     Energizer Bunny arrested;  charged with battery. 
•     A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
•     A pessimist's blood type is always b-negative. 
•     My wife really likes to make pottery, but to me it's just kiln time.
•     Dijon vu:  the same old mustard as before.
•     Practice safe eating:  always use condiments.
•     I fired my masseuse today.  She just rubbed me the wrong way.
•     A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
•     Shotgun wedding:  A case of wife or death.

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy -- Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

April 2003
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue