15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, March 2004
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Medicur
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn Bouvier's definition of property, the distinction between absolute property and qualified property is of considerable importance.  Bouvier mentioned animals as examples of absolute property.  Such absolute property used to include the power of the owner to dispose of the property, meaning that he could do whatever he wanted to do with it.  Thus, if a horse was ill-fed or a dog was mistreated, it wasn't the business of anybody but the owner.  However, today's meddling reformers have changed all of that.  In the pursuit of a misguided concern for the well-being of animals, they have decided that the so-called "rights" of animals are more important than the rights of human beings.  Accordingly, they have empowered the government to confiscate animals which are, in the opinions of the reformers, being mistreated.  They have thereby deprived the erstwhile owners of their previous absolute property, and converted them into mere custodians.  Absolute property has been transferred from human beings, who once had a right of ownership, to the government, which has converted that right into a privilege.  The meddling reformers cheer every time the government seizes a mistreated animal from the man who ought to have been its owner.  The reformers fail to understand the implications of what they have done.  The definitions of ownership and property, as documented by Bouvier, are sufficiently complex and flexible to encompass almost any silliness.  However, the sacrifice of a human being's right of ownership in exchange for a so-called right of an animal to be well treated is really stupid.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNot surprisingly, the nonsense continues to escalate as the meddling reformers try to elevate the status of animals to equality with the status of people.  We now have department stores and websites dedicated to pets, salons, doctors, hospitals, and cemeteries for pets, special food, toys, and medicine for pets, and God only knows what else.  How often have you heard somebody declare that the dog is "a member of the family"?  The next thing you know, in a world where human beings are brutalized, homeless, diseased, and starving, some nitwit will be demanding universal health care and free prescription drugs for dogs.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePROPERTY .... When things are fully our own, or when all others are excluded from meddling with them or from interfering about them, it is plain that no person besides the proprietor, who has this exclusive right, can have any claim either to use them, or to hinder him from disposing of them as he pleases:  so that property, considered as an exclusive right to things, contains not only a right to use those things, but a right to dispose of them, either by exchanging them for other things, or by giving them away to any other person without any consideration, or even throwing them away ....
15x5 Page Background GIF Image.... It is also said to be, when it relates to goods and chattels, absolute or qualified. Absolute property is that which is our own without any qualification whatever:  as, when a man is the owner of a watch, a book, or other inanimate thing, or of a horse, a sheep, or other animal which never had its natural liberty in a wild state.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageQualified property consists in the right which men have over wild animals which they have reduced to their own possession, and which are kept subject to their power:  as, a deer, a buffalo, and the like, which are his own while he has possession of them, but as soon as his possession is lost his property is gone, unless the animals go animo revertendi ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut property in personal goods may be absolute or qualified without any relation to the nature of the subject-matter, but simply because more persons than one, have an interest in it, or because the right of property is separated from the possession.  A bailee of goods, though not the owner, has a qualified property in them;  while the owner has the absolute property ....

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks, money orders, or PayPal payments, please inquire.

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
March 2004
Page 1 

Use of Biometrics Continues to Spread
K-House eNews for February 17, 2004
http://www.khouse.org
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter the September 11, 2001 attacks, the United States passed legislation that requires visitors from 27 countries to have biometric information, such as fingerprints or iris scan data, included in passports issued after Oct. 26, 2004 in order to avoid applying for a visa.  Many countries have been stepping up to include biometric information in not only the passports they issue, but also in driver's licenses and national identity cards.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDenmark decided last year to include biometric information in its passports starting in 2004, and is now ordering 3 million to be made by the Finnish technology group Setec.  The order is the first one to be made for documents that meet up to the requirements made by the International Civil Aviation Organization, ICAO and which fulfill U.S. conditions.  Passport holders will not need to update, however, until their current documents expire.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAt the airport in Frankfurt, Germany, EU and Swiss citizens can now apply to pass through security quickly by submitting to a simple 3-second eye scan.  Applicants must register at the airport to put their iris scan on file, go through a background check and obtain a machine-readable passport.  Once accepted, these travelers will still need to pass through security stations, but will be able to avoid the longer lines of conventional passport checks.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpain is planning to introduce electronic ID cards that will enable holders to do secure business online and confirm their identities through a digital signature that would be as legally binding as a normal, ink-and-paper signature.  A pilot program will test the ID card system through 2004, at which time Spain hopes to fully implement the program.  The ID cards will look like Spain's current ID cards, but will include a chip that contains added information.  "In principle the aim is that it is a single card that we could use in future for (anything) from public administration to, if it were possible, getting money out of a cash machine," said Spain's Foreign Minister Ana Palacio.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile biometrics seems to be a good way to authenticate identities, many are concerned that, like any other system, cheaters could still prosper.  Bill Perry, of the UK's Association for Biometrics, said variables like lighting and body temperature can affect the accuracy of iris scans.  Simon Davies, an expert in information systems at the London School of Economics and director of Privacy International, contends that some people would be able to obtain several cards under different names because the systems are not 100% accurate.  One scan might bring up several matching results.  In a large database of millions of people, one scan might bring up thousands of matches.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGovernments will continue to seek out more precise and fool proof means of identifying both their citizens and the citizens of other countries in the name of security.  Those with privacy concerns wonder if there will come a day when neither criminals nor honest people will have a place to hide.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Letter to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm sorry that it has taken me so long after the fact to right this, but my notes are often incomplete.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, two or three issues back (I seem to have misplaced the issue while I was moving), Sir John the Generous (I think) suggested that the reason for the age of consent laws in the states was something of a footnote for the age of emancipation laws [November 2003, page 3, letter from Sir James the Bold].  I have to wonder, has he ever even read the various statutes and case laws?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor one thing, the age of consent varies from state to state.  In some states, the age of consent is determined at early puberty, between 13 and 14 years old.  In other states, it can be as high as 18 or 19 years old.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn West's CRSA §§ 18-3-405(1), 18-3-406(2) it states that the "Purpose underlying crime of statutory rape under the common law was to protect morals of children from consequences of acts that they were not able to comprehend."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the case of Cross v. People 1950, 223 P.2d 202, 122 Colo. 469, the court stated that "In determining accused's guilt of statutory offense of taking immodest, immoral, and indecent liberties with person of child under 16 years old, child's consent or nonconsent to acts charged is immaterial, as prime object of statute is to protect morals of youth by punishing those committing acts tending to corrupt such morals."
Arrow Right
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks,
money orders, or PayPal payments, please inquire.

March 2004
Page 2
Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 frontiersman@ida.net

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnited States Code Sections 1461, 1462, 1463, 1464, 1465, of title 18;  Section 1305 of Title 19;  and Section 4006 of title 39 say that " ... The obvious morals protected are chastity, modesty, temperance, and self-sacrificing love.  The obvious evils being inhibited are lust, excess, adultery, incest, homosexuality, bestiality, masturbation, and fornication."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThus, the courts are uniformly of the opinion that the laws regarding such matters are about morality, specifically the enforcement of Christian concepts of morality.  In other words, it is all right to believe whatever you wish, and to worship any god of your choosing, or not, as long as you live the lifestyle of a good Christian.  These are just some of the laws that the government uses to enforce Christian Values and Mores.
— unsigned

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCharity — Charity isn't a proper function of government.  However, it is a proper function of religion.  Indeed, if the religious activists in this country would dedicate to charity the effort that they are instead presently dedicating to political activism, then there might not be any more starving or homeless people in this country.  There would certainly be less repression in the name of religion.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMisnomer — There's no such thing as a civil right.  Things called by that name are actually privileges.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIgnorance — Homosexuals are not seeking a right to marriage.  What they're seeking isn't a right.  It's a privilege.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSame-Sex "Marriages" — Regardless of how somebody feels about homosexuals, it's nevertheless a fact that a constitution is supposed to regulate the behavior of a government, not the behavior of people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWord Theft — They're not gay.  They're homosexual.  I'm sometimes gay but I'm never homosexual.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuper Bawl — Janet Jackson's breasts are not obscene.  Sending U.S. soldiers or secret agents to murder people in foreign lands is obscene.  Allowing U.S. cops to murder people in this country is obscene.  Having food fights or food eating contests while people are starving in the world is at least disgusting.  I think that building new Olympic "venues" every few years while people are homeless in the world is insane, if not obscene.  Deploying medical resources on cosmetic procedures to remove wrinkles from the faces of American women while people are dying of AIDS hatefully selfish, if not obscene.  Whiny, sin-based, repression of normal, healthy human sexuality is an abomination.  There are many shameful things in the world but Janet Jackson's breasts are not among them.  Her performance at the Super Bowl might have been inappropriate, but it wasn't obscene.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDouble Standard — If a man tries to protect his wife from the rat race, then he's dominating her.  If he lets her go out and take her lumps, then he's neglecting her.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

The First Letter of Paul to the Americans
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLove is patient and kind;  love is not jealous or boastful;  it is not arrogant or rude.  Love does not insist on its own way;  it is not irritable or resentful;  it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLove never ends;  as for prophecies, they will pass away;  as for tongues, they will cease;  as for knowledge, it will pass away.  For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect;  but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.  When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child;  when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.  Now I know in part;  then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.  So faith, hope, love abide, these three;  but the greatest of these is love.
— 1 Corinthians 13
Revised Standard Version
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks,

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
March 2004
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona  85901 

Abolish
the
United Nations
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold, Sir John the Generous, SantaClara Bob, Joseph, of Northridge, California, The Thought, of Glendale, Arizona, and Lady Jan the Voluptuous.
— editor

Some Rules By Men, For Women
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•     Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you're prepared to discuss such topics as navel lint, the shotgun formation, or monster trucks.
•     You have enough clothes and too many shoes.
•     Peanuts are as exciting for us as handbags are for you.
•     I'm in shape.  ROUND is a shape.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI made a really serious Freudian Slip at a meeting last week.  Have you ever done that? 

— Embarrassed
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Dear Embarrassed
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo.  I'm not a tailor.  I've never even made a handkerchief.

Call to 911
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCaller:  I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDispatcher:  Do you have an address?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCaller:  No, I'm wearing a blouse and slacks, why?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  For checks, money orders, or PayPal payments, please inquire.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

March 2004
Page 4
Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue