15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, March 2005
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
A Mockery of Good Design
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have a friend who recently paid the local Ford dealer more than $600 to replace the fuel pump in his car.  It took the people at the dealer more than an hour, and the use of a computer, just to diagnose the problem.  Things used to be very different.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen I was young, you didn't need a computer to decide that you needed a new fuel pump.  If the engine faltered under a condition of high fuel demand, then you replaced the fuel filter.  That took about 10 minutes and cost a couple of dollars.  The only tools needed were a nut driver to remove the hose clamps.  If your luck was really bad and the hoses were secured with the phoney kind of hose clamps, then you'd have to buy one of those fancy pairs of pliers to remove the phoney clamps.  If that didn't fix the problem, then you replaced the fuel pump.  That required a ratchet, a socket, maybe an extension, and the same nut driver that you used to replace the fuel filter.  The new fuel pump cost about $15.  The whole job took 40 minutes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy friend had to pay $600 for a job that should have cost less then $50, even at today's prices, because the nitwits who designed his car were nincompoops.  The car has a level of complexity akin to that of the Space Shuttle.  Everything on the car is controlled by a computer or by some sort of interlock.  You can't even take the car out of gear and push it out of a garage unless it has the key in the ignition and, even then, it has to be a special key.  The spare key that they'll make for you down at the hardware store won't work.  The key has to have a special little module attached to it or the ignition switch won't recognize it, and nothing works.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe car is absurdly complex.  I suppose that I shouldn't advocate that the designers be punished merely for making a mockery of car design but it sure would be satisfying to at least see them forced to pay the repair costs of all the crappy cars that they've designed.  As for the people who enable the sale of such automotive rubbish by buying it, they're already being punished every time they take their cars to be repaired.  I wouldn't have such a car as a gift.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnother Contradiction in Terms — On Thursday, February 17, 2005, John Negroponte was nominated for a position called (believe it or not) the Director of National Intelligence.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageProof of Something — Why would somebody consent to being licked on the face by a dog that drinks out of the toilet?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageProhibitions — When many rules are enforced upon the people, it is because the people are primitive.  When only a few rules are enforced upon the people, it is because the people are civilized.  When no rules at all are enforced upon the people, it is because the people are enlightened.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDiagnosis — Hyperactivity is usually a condition in which an adult fails to keep up with a normal, healthy, active boy.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhiners — If a woman doesn't want to be called a stunt man, a chairman, and so forth, then she shouldn't apply for the job.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne Woman Two Votes — If unwelcome sexual advances by men are an abuse of women and if unwelcome intrusions by women into male-only situations are a prerogative of women, then we've learned an important lesson about so-called gender equality.  We've learned that there isn't any such thing.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com.

March 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com
 Also see Pharos at http://pharos.websiteallies.com/
 Page 1

State of the Church:  Church of the State
Sam Aurelius Milam III
And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you;  seek, and you will find;  knock, and it will be opened to you.  For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
— Luke 11:9-10
Revised Standard Version
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSometime during October of last year, I heard a claim that a local food bank requires "valid photo ID" as a prerequisite to giving someone food.  I'd heard a similar claim regarding another food bank so I decided that maybe the claim was accurate.  On November 1, 2004, I sent a letter to the local food bank, asking about the requirement.  I received a reply, dated November 9, 2004, from Eric Johnson, pastor of the New Life Community Church of the Nazarene.  It turned out that his church runs the food bank.  His letter described three different food programs offered by the food bank.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe first program is what he called a free emergency food box program.  To qualify for that program a person must demonstrate a need for the food, fall within government income guidelines, and show some form of I.D.  The emergency food boxes contain government commodities which invoke the government guidelines and ID requirement.  Pastor Johnson stated that he would, nevertheless, provide a modified food box lacking government commodities to anyone who wouldn't show ID but that the person would still have to demonstrate a genuine need.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe second food program, called Project Manna, is a grocery cart full of food normally valued between $80-100.  The food bank offers the food for $16, once a month.  There aren't any qualifying requirements or I.D. requirements.  They just sell it to whoever can pay for it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe third program is called Food Plus and is a government sponsored food program for families with children between 1-5 years old and for adults over 60 years of age.  To qualify for that program the person or family must fall within the government age and income guidelines, demonstrate a local address, and provide a photo I.D.  The program is free for people who qualify.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI could qualify for the second program and possibly for the first one.  However, since receiving that letter from Pastor Johnson, I've sent him three more letters asking for help.  In those letters, I stated that I'm interested in using the two programs that could be available to me.  I asked him what I must do to demonstrate a need for the food, which is a requirement for the first program.  I also asked if he might be able to put me in touch with someone in his congregation who would be willing to provide transportation for me.  That request is because the food bank is too far away for me to get there on my bicycle.  Additionally, when using the second program I wouldn't be able to carry a shopping cart full of food on a bicycle.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis article is being published in the March issue of this newsletter.  Thus, it has been several months since I began trying to get access to the food bank.  Pastor Johnson has either neglected, declined, or refused to respond to my three most recent letters.  Such behavior doesn't seem very Christlike.  I'd think that Christian virtue would demand at least that he answer my questions.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile dining one Sabbath, the Nazarene spoke at length to those present and said, among other things, that a man cannot serve two masters because either he will hate one and love the other or be devoted to one and despise the other.  Although the Nazarene advocated giving to Caesar what was Caesar's, I don't believe that he ever asked for valid photo ID as a prerequisite to healing the sick, feeding the hungry, or forgiving the sinful.  In Eric Johnson's letter to me, he referred repeatedly to government requirements and guidelines.  He signed his letter "In His service", but I believe that the content of the letter belies that claim.  I don't believe that Pastor Johnson is serving the Nazarene.  It appears to me that he is serving the government, the wrong master.  According to the Nazarene, if Pastor Johnson is devoted to the one then he must despise the other.  He cannot serve them both.  Meanwhile, I still can't go get food at the food bank.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 March 2005

Letter to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI hope you are well.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThanks for the Frontiersman, ongoing.  I do appreciate it, and hope donations are covering your work adequately.  ... your short story on p. 2 of the Feb issue was a well done story; I'm sure many have thought of it for years now, but your writing of it was an excellent treatment.  As you probably already know, since this is Amerika where there are no rights honored by the crim. thugs who overthrew the legitimate govt here, these thug gangs have for years now been prosecuting writers for writing things that the thugs say incited or influenced someone to commit the act in their fiction writings or even historical exposés.  I'm sure you are aware of that, and I commend you for having the courage to exercise your right to write what you feel moved to write anyway.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm enclosing one of my favorite pieces by Lucius Beebe.  He was an editor for the SF Chron.  Thought you might like to reprint this.  In 1961 this was probably almost adequately strong for the reality it dealt with.  Today, it is very weak in light of what the thugs in office have done and keep doing.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've never seen you print cartoons (or maybe rarely and I have forgotten).  I don't know if you have a policy against it, or?  Anyway, here is one that I finally got done, of the many, many I come up with all the time but have no time to do the art work, tho I am capable ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBlessings
— inmate
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is the quote that the inmate included with his letter.  I have not attempted to authenticate it.
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe happiest day that might be foreseen for the American taxpayer is that on which his miserable representatives in Government begin to live in physical fear for their lives and persons and give some consideration to the constituency for whom their contempt is commensurate with their availability to looting.  An American Congressman fleeing from a mob of taxpayers while his house burned would be the heartening sight of a lifetime.  An election every four years isn't as effectual as would be the assassination of a legislator every four minutes, because the enemy isn't only in Moscow.  He's much nearer at home.
— Lucius Beebe
San Francisco Chronicle
July 10, 1961
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDonations do not cover my minimum expenses.  Thus, I'm going further into debt every month because I can't even pay my fair share of the utilities.  I'm really tired of trying to do this without sufficient help from the subscribers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was well aware of the risk of publishing Gonna Blow Dis Joint, especially when it might be read by the thugs who work as prison guards.  So far, I haven't been arrested.  By the way, I have more Dirty Trickster stories on the way.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't usually print cartoons because by the time I reduce the size of a cartoon so it will fit the space available in my newsletter it is so small that the details are lost.  That was the case with yours.  Nevertheless, I appreciate your sending it.
—editor

Contract vs Legislation
Sam Aurelius Milam III
No State shall ... pass any ... law impairing the obligation of contracts ....
— Article 1, Section 10, clause 1
U.S. Constitution
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo me, it seems evident that the writers of the U.S. Constitution intended that the status of contracts should be superior to the status of legislation.  That expectation seems to be an obvious motivation for the portion of Article 1, Section 10, clause 1 presented above.  Nevertheless, there is today in the U.S.A. a pervasive belief in a doctrine whereby any contract that isn't in accordance with legislation, or which violates any legislation, is presumed to be a void contract.  Rather, any contract, regardless of its terms and conditions and provided ONLY that it satisfies the various other requirements of a contract, should be regarded as a valid contract whether or not it violates legislation or is in accordance with legislation.  Any other doctrine is repugnant to Article 1, Section 10, clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

March 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 Page 3

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona  85901 

The U.S. government has consumed far
more of our resources on the so-called war
on terrorism, probably sacrificed far more
of our lives, and certainly destroyed far
more of our liberty than would have been
the case if it had, instead, adopted a strat-
egy of simply cleaning up after terrorist attacks.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold, SantaClara Bob, Lady Jan the Voluptuous, and Eric, of Soledad, California.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhich do you prefer, the flute, the piccolo, or the recorder?

— Music Lover
Dear Music Lover
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't know much about how to use flutes and piccolos but I do know that a recorder is a good way to save ball games to watch later.

You know you're in California when ....
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
• A man gets on the bus in full leather regalia and crotchless chaps and you don't even notice.
• You pass an elementary school playground and the children are all busy with their cells or pagers.
• Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.
• You have to leave the big company meeting early because Billy Lanks himself is teaching the 4:00 PM Tae Bo class.
• You can't remember ... is pot illegal?

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 March 2005

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue