15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, August 2006
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Leonard Lake and Charles Ng:
Anomalies and Suggested Explanations
Sam Aurelius Milam III
It is idle to point out to the perverted man the horror of his perversion:  while the fierce fit is on, that horror is the very spice of his craving.
— from That Hideous Strength
by C. S. Lewis
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is the third article in a series in which I'm presenting some of my beliefs regarding Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.  In this article, I've noted some of the anomalies that are associated with the situation and suggested some explanations for those anomalies.  The anomalies didn't occur to me recently.  I noticed them at the time that the situation was being reported, in 1985.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn page 5 is the fourth and final article in the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng series.  In that article, I've presented the theory that supports my explanations of the anomalies.  My next article, hopefully next month, will explain why I believe the situation represented by Leonard Lake and Charles Ng is related to the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Anomaly Number 1:  Suicide
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLeonard Lake apparently carried cyanide capsules at all times.  He had them handy when he was detained by the police and he used them to commit suicide while he was in custody.  People in this country do commit suicide but they don't usually carry cyanide and use it when they’ve been detained by the police.  Whatever somebody's done, the normal behavior in this country is to hire a lawyer.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt was alleged that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng had made a suicide pact.  However, such agreements are usually just braggadocio and are unlikely actually to be honored.  Charles Ng didn't honor the agreement, if it existed at all.  As of this writing, he's still alive on death row.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt doesn't seem likely that Leonard Lake felt sufficiently guilty about his behavior to commit suicide.  All manner of perverts generally pursue their pleasures regardless of whatever remorse they might experience.  See the C. S. Lewis quote.  When Leonard Lake took a suicide pill, it suggested to me that something more ominous than ordinary criminal activity was involved.

Suggested Explanation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLeonard Lake committed suicide because the discovery of the nature of his activities would have caused him to be placed in a situation worse than anything that might result from conviction of a crime, however heinous.  Whatever that situation might have been, it was sufficiently serious that Leonard Lake took a suicide pill to avoid it.

Anomaly Number 2:  Escape
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCharles Ng walked away from the lumber yard in South San Francisco before the police arrived.  Why would he assume that Leonard Lake would sit and wait for the police?  How did he know that Leonard Lake would be apprehended?  How did he know that his identity would be revealed?  In other words, how did Charles Ng have any idea that the police would be looking for him?  Somehow he knew because when the police arrived at his apartment, he was already gone.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow did Charles Ng, a man on foot with few resources, manage to evade a dragnet set up by Interpol, the FBI, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and Scotland Yard?  How did he get all the way to Canada without being caught?  The escape, as reported, doesn't make any sense.

Suggested Explanation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCharles Ng knew that the authorities were going to be after him because he was told by someone.  He evaded the dragnet and escaped to Canada because he had help.

Arrow
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net.

August 2006 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net
 Also see Pharos at http://pharos.pricelesshost.net.
              Page 1

Anomaly Number 3:  Cremation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom the accounts that I've read, at least some of the bone fragments that were found at the Wilseyville site were the remains of people who had been cremated.  It takes a lot of fuel to cremate a human being so thoroughly that only bone fragments remain.  I didn't find a description of the incinerator that was presumably used for the cremations so I can only speculate about the fuel that was used.  If Leonard Lake and Charles Ng used gasoline, kerosene, or propane, then they had to buy and transport a lot of fuel.  If they used wood, then they had to cut and transport a lot of wood.  It seems unlikely that they would have had the resources required to dispose of bodies so thoroughly.

Suggested Explanation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLeonard Lake and Charles Ng were supplied with all of the necessary resources by somebody else.

Anomaly Number 4:  Inconsistent Disposal
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome victims were buried casually.  Those remains were relatively easy to discover and identify.  Some victims were photographed or videotaped, leaving a record of their appearance.  Other victims were processed in such a way that it would be difficult if not impossible to determine their identities or even the number of them.  In many cases, it would be impossible even to discover the remains at all.  Why the difference?  Why would Leonard Lake and Charles Ng have exerted such effort to hide some victims and made so little effort to hide others?

Suggested Explanation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe difference between the handling of the different categories of victims was the difference between business and pleasure.  Leonard Lake and Charles Ng apprehended some victims themselves, for their own recreational purposes.  They disposed of those victims casually.  Some victims were supplied to them by someone else.  They disposed of those victims very carefully.

Anomaly Number 5:  Number of Victims
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe authorities estimated the total number of victims at 25 or 26.  I believe that the number was much higher than that.  Presented next are some reasons for my belief.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe authorities recovered a lot of bone fragments.  Several quantities of such fragments were reported:  41 pounds, 45 pounds, and 50 pounds.  I expect that it would take a lot of people to produce that weight in bone fragments.  Some of the remains that were recovered had been strewn around the property.  Some such discarded remains might have been eaten or carried away by local scavengers and thus not recovered.  Therefore, the remains that were actually recovered might not represent all of the victims.  There might be some truth to the account that some of the remains were fed to the chickens.  That's another reason why the remains that were recovered might not represent the entire number of victims.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe known efforts of Leonard Lake and Charles Ng to acquire victims were limited to nearby neighbors, local people who were trying to sell things through want ads, stray acquaintances, people who wandered by for one reason or another, and that sort of thing.  If Leonard Lake and Charles Ng had been obtaining their victims only from those local sources, then there would have been a cluster of disappearances in the vicinity of Calaveras County during 1984 and the first half of 1985.  I examined data from The Doe Network website.1  I've shown the data graphically on page 4.  The counties for which I included data are listed on page 3.  I chose those counties because they were all within about 120 miles of Calaveras County.  I chose that distance because Leonard Lake and Charles Ng went about that far to get a vice.  If they would go that far to get a vice then they would probably go that far to get victims.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe data don't show a significant increase in disappearances during the time that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng were obtaining victims.  However, 25 or 26 victims, the official estimate, is larger than the total number of disappearances per year for all other causes combined for any year in that decade.  If there had been a sufficiently large number of local disappearances in addition to the normal number of disappearances to account for the number of victims attributed to Leonard Lake and

Arrow

^ 
http://www.doenetwork.us/

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 August 2006

CharlesNg, using even the official estimate, then it would have been noted as a significant increase in the rate of disappearances.  Authorities would have suspected the presence of a serial killer.  No such occurrence of serial disappearances was noted.  Thus, the victims could not have been taken from the local region.  They must have been taken from a geographical area large enough that the disappearances were not recognized as being associated with one another.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo acquire victims from such a large region would have presented serious logistical problems for Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.  First, they would have needed more secure transportation than vehicles that had belonged to missing persons, vehicles with incorrect license plates, or stolen vehicles.  Remember, it was false ID and a vehicle registered to a missing person that were instrumental in the eventual capture of Leonard Lake.  They would have needed to abduct people without attracting attention.  That might be easily accomplished a few times, but not over a very large number of abductions.  They would have needed to transport the abducted people securely over long distances, without anybody escaping or attracting attention.  Even such a simple thing as getting people into and out of a public rest room without exposure would be risky.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo avoid the possibility of the abductions being associated with one another, they would have needed to find their victims in a geographical area that would be as large as the several adjacent states.  They would necessarily be working in locations with which they were unfamiliar and which were probably well known to their intended victims.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven if the official estimate is correct and they killed only 25 or 26 people over a period of about 17 or so months, then that still means that they located, abducted, transported, killed, and disposed of victims on the average of about one person every 2 or 3 weeks.  If my hunch is correct, then they located, abducted, transported, killed, and disposed of victims on the average of at least one person every week.  The financial burden in fuel alone would probably have been prohibitive.

Suggested Explanation
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageExcept for victims that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng obtained for their own recreational purposes, the victims were supplied to them by someone else.

Theory
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy theory regarding the identity of the source of the help that was available to Leonard Lake and Charles Ng is presented on page 5.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

California Counties from Which Missing Persons Data Were Used
Alameda
Alpine 
Amador 
Butte 
Calaveras 
Colusa
Contra Costa 
El Dorado 
15x15 Page Background GIF Image Fresno 
Glenn 
Inyo 
Lake 
Madera 
Marin 
Maripose 
Mendocino 
15x15 Page Background GIF Image Merced 
Mono 
Monterey 
Napa 
Nevada 
Placer 
Plumas 
Sacramento 
15x15 Page Background GIF Image San Benito 
San Francisco 
San Joaquin 
San Mateo 
Santa Clara 
Santa Cruz 
Sierra 
Solano 
15x15 Page Background GIF Image Sonoma 
Stanislaus 
Sutter
Tuolumne 
Yolo 
Yuba 

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
My Creed
Howard Arnold Walter
15x15 Page Background GIF Image 15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen your heart is truly pure, you really do have the strength of ten.  And further, while it is best to have your heart pure with God's love, pure anything will do.  Pure honor or pure greed.  Pure hate or even pure evil.  It is only the contradictions and inner conflicts that weaken a man.
— Father Ignacy Sierpenski
in The Cross-Time Engineer, by Leo Frankowski

Page 3

Disappearances Bar Chart
15x15 Page Background GIF Image

Page 4  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 August 2006

Leonard Lake and Charles Ng:
Disposal Camp
Sam Aurelius Milam III
The technology revolution has transformed organizations across the private sector, but not ours, not fully, not yet.  We are, as they say, tangled in our anchor chain.  Our financial systems are decades old.  According to some estimates, we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions ....
— from Remarks as Delivered by
Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
at The Pentagon, Monday, September 10, 2001
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the previous article, I proposed that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng had a lot of help.  I didn't say what I thought was the source of that help.  I have a theory.  You might not like it but it explains the anomalies.  If you can think of a better theory that explains the anomalies as well as my theory does, then you're welcome to propose it.  Here's my theory.  The help that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng received came from an unnamed agency within the U.S. government.  Their job was to dispose of people for that agency.  Consider the following statement by Donald H. Rumsfeld, from the same speech cited above.
There's a myth, sort of a legend, that money enters this building [the Pentagon — editor] and disappears, like a bright light into a black hole, never to be seen again.  In truth, there is a real person at the other end of every dollar ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are real people at the other end of the $2.3 trillion for which the Pentagon cannot account.  Those people are the unnamed agency for which Leonard Lake worked.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe unnamed agency theory explains each anomaly.  Leonard Lake committed suicide because he was running a disposal camp for the agency.  His capture threatened to compromised the agency.  That agency supplied all of the victims and resources.  Identification of victims supplied by the agency might have compromised the agency, explaining their thorough disposal.  Charles Ng didn't officially work for the agency.  He was helped to escape simply because he knew too much.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe unnamed agency theory also provides an explanation for another unexplained mystery relating to the attacks on September 11, 2001.  Hopefully, I'll write about that next month.Gun

References
1. A 2 Z of Serial Killers, Leonard Lake and Charles Ng,
http://www.geocities.com/quietlyinsane5/lenord.html
2. Charles Ng, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ng
3. CyberSleuths True Crime, Charles Ng and Leonard Lake, The Motherlode Murders, by Bill Kelly,
http://www.cybersleuths.com/features/features1099-2.html
4. DOD Acquisition and Logistics Excellence Week Kickoff—Bureaucracy to Battlefield, Remarks as Delivered by Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, The Pentagon , Monday, September 10, 2001,
http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/2001/s20010910-secdef.html
5. Internet Crime Archives, SERIAL KILLER HIT LIST - PART 1,
http://www.mayhem.net/Crime/serial.html
6. Leonard Lake, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Lake
7. Serial Killers A-Z, Leonard Lake and Charles Ng,
http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/ip/lakeng.html
8. The Biography Channel - Biography Result, Ng, Charles (1961-),
http://www.biography.com/search/article.do?id=11735781
9. The Biography Channel - Biography Result, Lake, Leonard (1945-1985)
http://www.biography.com/search/article.do?id=11930466
10. The War On Waste - CBS News, LOS ANGELES, Jan. 29, 2002
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/29/eveningnews/main325985.shtml3.
11. University of Minnesota, Human Rights Library, Chitat Ng v. Canada, Communication No. 469/1991, U.N. Doc. CCPR/C/49/D/469/ 1991 (1994), Distr. RESTRICTED */, CCPR/C/ 49/D/469/1991, 7 January 1994, Original:  ENGLISH, HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE, Fortyninth session, VIEWS, Communication No. 469/1991,
http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/undocs/html/dec469.htm10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Page 5

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona   85901 

If the so-called
unalienable rights really
were unalienable, then
we wouldn't need to
worry about losing
them.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold;  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;   Lord Jeffrey the Studious;  and Millie, of Baltimore, Maryland.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy cardiologist thinks I need a stent but I'm not sure about it.  What do you think about that kind of thing?

— Worried
Dear Worried
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAround here, we expect a man to pull his weight.  Anybody who stints on his work is liable to go to bed hungry.

Lines to Make You Smile
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
Being over the hill is much better than being under it.
Wrinkled wasn't one of the things that I wanted to be when I grew up.
I have a liberal arts degree.  Do you want fries with that?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.
Stupidity isn't a handicap.  Park somewhere else.
He who dies with the most toys is still dead.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You can also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 6  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 August 2006

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue