15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, June 2010
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Just Say the Word
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI learned at an early age to do as I was told.  When I was told to go to school, I went to school.  When I was told to get a driver's license, I got a driver's license.  When I was told to get a Social Security number, I got a Social Security number.  When I was told to register for the draft, I registered for the draft.  Those things, and various others, all had the effect of placing me within the jurisdiction of the government but nobody warned me about that.  They just told me to do things and I did them.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBy the time that I was in college, I was beginning to wonder about the validity of what I'd been taught.  In my first full-time job as an engineer, at the General Electric Company, I still tried to do as I was told but, increasingly, I began to perceive the incompetence1 of the people who were exercising authority over me.  With growing experience, I gradually began to resist my conditioning.  It took me a long time but I slowly realized that doing as I was told might be a bad idea.  Eventually, although I wasn't very good at it, I began trying to say no.  One consequence was that, at a time when GE was sending excess work to subcontractors, I was laid off due to lack of work.  That isn't as contradictory as it seems because there wasn't much of my kind of work being done at GE.  After several years of experience, I didn't want to do any work that violated my growing understanding of the conflict between cooperation and integrity.2
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAltogether, I spent about 19 years in school and about 15 years as an employee.  That's 34 years in the system, being brainwashed by the schools, the media, the courts, the cops, the military, the corporations, and society in general.  Before I could try to credibly resist my conditioning, I had to acknowledge some unpleasant facts.  That required a long process of study, discussion, and thought.  At one point, I came to a low and gloomy sense of despair.  I lamented to my father that I was going to have to give up everything in which I'd ever been taught to believe.  He said, "Son, you don't have to be a U.S. citizen in order to be an American."  It was the right comment at the right time.  It helped me to accept the sad conclusion that I'd been facing, the realization that most of the things in which I'd been taught to believe were lies.  Marriage licenses are a lie.  The driver's license is a lie.  Social Security is a lie.  Financial investments and the banks are lies.  Indeed, every bank is a den of thieves.  The stuff to which people refer as money is a lie.  Security is a lie.  In fact, there isn't any security, anywhere, ever.  Insurance is a lie.  The news programs and the newspapers are lies.  The schools are lies.  The police are a lie.  The things to which people refer as rights are lies.  The legislatures and the courts are lies.  The Congress is a lie.  The jurisdiction of the U.S. government is a lie.  Citizenship is a lie.  The U.S. constitution is a lie.  It wasn't possible for me to credibly resist my conditioning until I accepted the veracity of such ideas.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLearning the lies taught me some truths.  I learned that voluntary participation equals endorsement.  I learned that cooperation with illegitimate authority legitimizes the authority.  I learned that accepting authority as truth instead of accepting truth as authority is a big mistake.  I learned the difference between freedom and slavery, freedom and permission, rights and privileges, currency and money, sin and crime, God and religion, diversity and complexity, law and legislation, brainwashing and education, anarchy and chaos.  I learned that fighting evil with evil guarantees that evil will win.  I learned that working within the system is the same thing as working for the system.  I learned that compromising with a

Arrow

^ 
incompetent  .... 1:  lacking the qualities needed for effective action  2:  not legally qualified  3:  inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose
— Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1973
 ^ 
A much longer account of my work experience is available in my memoir Outward Bound.  The memoir is available on Pharos.

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.

June 2010 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

police state is just another way to lose.  I learned that the thugs in authority don't care if people complain just so long as they obey.  Armchair dissent is useful to the authorities.  It's nothing more than window-dressing.  They use it to create the illusion that people are free.  It's another lie.  All political dissent is regulated by the various election legislation.  Any movement that's actually dangerous is illegal.  People are not free.  In the present situation, people have access to three kinds of behavior:  prohibited, required, and regulated.  All behavior that isn't yet included within one of those categories is being systematically legislated into one or another of them, bit by bit.  Regarding those categories, people who are caught engaging in prohibited behavior are punished.  People who are caught failing to engage in required behavior are punished.  People who are caught engaging in regulated behavior without a license are punished.  Thus do you recognize a police state.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs my understanding of things grew, I spent some time trying to position myself so that I could survive without government authorization.  I began trying to divest myself of obligations to government.  I cancelled my Social Security number,3 rescinded my driver's license,4 abandoned my voter's registration, and did whatever other such things seemed appropriate at the time.  It wasn't until 1987 that I finally broke away from the brainwashing machine.  After GE, I worked at two more full-time engineering jobs but my career as an engineer was fading.  After my third layoff, I realized that full time, permanent employment wasn't for me.  I tried to find part-time or temporary work but my growing tendency to resist bad instructions was causing problems.  I didn't stay long in any one job.  At the time that the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 went into effect, I was doing temporary work for Manpower.5  When I went to the interview for my next temporary job after the effective date of the act, the woman who intended to interview me wouldn't even discuss my resumé with me until after I'd completed her INS Form I-9.  It was a new employment requirement, mandated by the act.  It required that I provide government documentation to prove that I was authorized to work.  By then, I'd learned a lot about sovereignty and jurisdiction.  I'd learned to recognize fascism6 when I encountered it.  The lady seemed surprised that I would dare to object to her form.  I told her that my father had fought a war with Hitler to end that kind of thing and that I'd starve before I'd complete the form.  I walked out of the interview.  The incident was only a small part of the larger change that was happening in my life at the time but it marked the end of my career as a corporate wage slave.  I've been unemployed ever since then and I haven't filed a tax return since 1987.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs a consequence of my resistance to authority, I was prohibited from participating in most of the things that most people take for granted.  My life became inconvenient but I survived.  I always had a place to live.  I always had food to eat.  I always had clothes to wear.  I always had work to do.  About ten years ago, while I was living on Lady Jan's farm, in Idaho, it occurred to me that, in a sense, I'd become John Galt.7  At the time, and in spite of my degree in nuclear engineering, I was living in obscurity and doing honest work.  I wasn't doing anything that supported or legitimized the police state.  I'd deprived it of my skills and I hadn't really lost anything important in the process.  I was feeling good about myself.  I'd enhanced my liberty and tried to preserve my integrity.  I'd received a lot of help from a few of my friends and from one or two family members and things had worked for me very much as Ayn Rand had described them in her book.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt eventually comes down to a question of what a man wants do to about his situation.  U.S. citizens are slaves by definition.8  Most of them seem to be content with their condition.  For now, at least, their slavery is reasonably comfortable.  The problem is that, after slavery is well established, the slaves no longer
Arrow

^ 
Letter to Phil DiBenedetto, Regional Commissioner, Social Security Administration, 28th Floor, 100 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, California  94102 from Sam Aurelius Milam III, Box 21633, San Jose, California 95151, June 11, 1984
 ^ 
Rescindment of Contracts and Revocation of Powers, Sam Aurelius Milam III, February 14, 1986
 ^ 
Not Personpower, ladies.  Manpower.
 ^ 
fascism....  2.  any system of government in which property is privately owned, but all industry and business is regulated by a strong national government.
— Thorndike Century Senior Dictionary, 1941
 ^ 
If you haven’t yet read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, then I suggest that you do so.
 ^ 
Constitution for the United States of America, Fourteenth Amendment

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution. I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  June 2010

have control over the rules.  Everything is controlled by the masters, not by the slaves.  It's been shown that slavery can become torturous.  Becoming a slave can turn out badly and the process is difficult to reverse.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf a man is to end his slavery and achieve freedom, then he must accept the fact that he can't do it by working within the system.  The entire political and economic establishment is rigged against him.  The best that he might accomplish by working within the system is to elevate himself from slave to thug.  That's how cops, judges, politicians, and so forth get their jobs.  Within the system, the only choices that are available to a freedom seeker are the choices that the authorities will allow.  In fact, a man's perception that he has any choices at all is based on lies.  Consider that, if a man's choices are arranged properly in advance, then he will choose to jump from the top of a tall building.  All that's necessary is for the building to be burning under him.  Then, nobody has to push him.  He will choose to jump.  His so-called choice doesn't mean that he wanted to jump.  In fact, he didn't really have a choice at all except in the most corrupted understanding of the concept.  That's how choice usually works in the United States today.  It's like claiming that a system of capital punishment is merciful and enlightened because the condemned man is permitted to choose the method of his execution.  The choice that he's permitted to make doesn't improve his situation or his future.  Choice is another one of the lies.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe next step that a man must take is to accept the fact that it isn't possible to correct the errors in  the system.  The choices that are available within the system are either to submit to it or to be punished by it.  Changing it isn't an option.  I learned a long time ago that attempting to change the system doesn't work.  Opposing it only exercises its powers, and makes it stronger.9  The world is filled with police states and there isn't anywhere to run.  Eventually, I came to understand the solution to the problem.  The police states exist because people support them.  Voluntary participation legitimizes them.  Opposition only exercises their powers and makes them stronger.  Therein lies the answer to the dilemma.  The only way to successfully oppose a police state is by not opposing it.  The only way to freedom is abandonment.  The best way to do that is to do it gradually, by little increments.  A man can start with little things like cancelling bank accounts and selling stock.10  Eventually, he'll have to divest himself of all of those entanglements that bind him to the system11 but before he can do that, he'll have to position himself.  He can't quit cold turkey.  That's what the little increments accomplish.  They enable a person to gradually rearrange his life in such a way that he can survive without the necessity of cooperating with the government.  Such a rearrangement of one's life is a bigger job than might at first seem to be the case.  It might take a man most of his lifetime to accomplish it but it's a necessary step toward freedom.  Someone who's considering the freedom option shouldn't make the decision lightly.  He shouldn't even start the process unless he really means it.  Freedom isn't easy.  Freedom isn't for sissies.  Freedom is a lifetime commitment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOccasionally, people have said things that, whatever the original context, are relevant to the freedom movement today.  Leonardo da Vinci commented that resistance is easier at the beginning than at the end.  John Philpot Curran warned us that liberty requires eternal vigilance.  John Fitzgerald Kennedy observed that those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.  However, as unlikely as it might seem, the award for brevity combined with power should go to Nancy Reagan.  Granted, she made her statement for a different purpose but it’s applicable to the freedom movement.  So, after a freedom seeker has positioned himself and, when he’s confronted by an attempt to enforce upon him a condition of servitude, he can follow the advice offered by Nancy Reagan, back in 1982, in Oakland, California.  He can just say the word.   He can just say no.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
When In Doubt — A soldier follows orders.  A warrior thinks for himself.
Never in Doubt — Love is the wine of the soul.  Passion is the whiskey.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
More Adventures of The Lone Raver, Sam Aurelius Milam III, Thursday, October 10, 1991
 ^ 
Abandonment, Sam Aurelius Milam III, Friday, March 31, 1989
 ^ 
Those Chains That Bind You!, author unknown

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

June 2010 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:  If it moves, tax it.  If it keeps moving, regulate it.  And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan, 1986
15x15 Page Background GIF Image

Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  and Eric, of Ione, California. 
— editor
Court Quotes
From Humor in the Court and More Humor in the Court, by Mary Louise Gilman, editor of the National Shorthand Reporter.  Forwarded by Don G.
Q: The youngest son, the 20-year-old, how old is he?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Tough Language
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
• The bandage was wound around the wound.
• He could lead if he would get the lead out.
• I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
• They were too close to the door to close it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Funny Signs
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
• In a restaurant window:
Don't stand there and be hungry, come on in and get fed up.
• In the front yard of a mortuary:
Drive carefully.  We'll wait.
• At a propane filling station:
Tank heaven for little grills.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Kids Are Quick
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
Teacher: George Washington not only chopped down his father's cherry tree, but he also admitted it.  Now, Louis, do you know why his father didn't punish him?
Louis: Because George still had the axe in his hand.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Back Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or back issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash, prepaid telephone cards, or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  June 2010

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue