15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, January 2011
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Conspiracy Theory
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageVarious conspiracy theorists have claimed that the attacks of September 11, 2001 were perpetrated by a faction within the U.S. government.  I've seen most of the arguments that the opponents of those conspiracy theorists use against that theory.  Most of those arguments are nonsense.  The most nearly credible among them is that the conspiracy theorists must be wrong because they're conspiracy theorists.  The other arguments must be incredibly lame to be worse than that.  Anyway, the idea is that if somebody's a conspiracy theorist, then he's a nut case by definition and that's a sufficient reason to discredit him and to disbelieve his theory.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe critics of the conspiracy theorists all seem to believe that the attacks of September 11, 2001 were perpetrated by Muslims.  If pressed, they'll admit that the Muslims most certainly planned the attacks in secret.  That is, it was a Muslim conspiracy.  So, the critics of the conspiracy theorists are, themselves, conspiracy theorists.  The only difference is that they advocate a Muslim conspiracy instead of a conspiracy within the U.S. government.  Here's the important point.  If being a conspiracy theorist is a sufficient criticism to debunk the idea that the attacks were perpetrated by a faction within the U.S. government then it's also a sufficient criticism to debunk the idea that the attacks were perpetrated by Muslims.  Thus, the critics are hoist with their own petard.  Of course it was a conspiracy.  No matter who did it, they planned it in secret.  So, let's accept the idea that there's nothing wrong with being a conspiracy theorist.  Everybody knows that the attacks were the result of a conspiracy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow many conspirators would be required in order for such a conspiracy to work?  Consider that, in the United States, there are one hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices.  Those 545 people allegedly run the entire country.  They do it without anybody else having any reliable knowledge of their actual agendas.  If you can believe that those few people run the entire country, then it ought to be easy for you to believe that a much smaller group could load some airplanes with explosives, hijack a few other airplanes, launch a cruise missile, rig some buildings with explosives, and dispose of anything and anybody that might compromise the conspiracy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suggest that you read my essay Unnamed Agency.  It's available on Pharos.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Dilbert's Salary Theorem
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAccording to Dilbert's Salary Theorem, engineers and scientists can never earn as much as business executives, sales people, accountants, and liberal arts majors.  This theorem can now be supported by a mathematical equation based on the following three axioms.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAxiom 1:  Knowledge = Power
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAxiom 2:  Power = Work / Time
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAxiom 3:  Time = Money
Since
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageKnowledge = Power,
therefore
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageKnowledge = Work / Time.
Since
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTime = Money,
therefore
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageKnowledge = Work / Money.
Solving for Money, we get,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMoney = Work / Knowledge.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThus, as knowledge decreases, money increases, regardless of work.  Similarly, as knowledge increases, money decreases, regardless of work.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageQED.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.
January 2011 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

California's Overcrowded Prisons
Free Lazor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor more than three decades, California's prison guards have been resentencing prisoners to new prison terms at their whim, keeping thousands of prisoners locked up far beyond the sentences that were imposed on them by the courts that tried them.  Even the most powerful state or federal judges can't do that.  Even the Supreme Court can't extend or impose additional prison sentences without a jury trial.  However, the California prison guards can do it.  There are presently thousands of prisoners, perhaps more than 20,000, who are being kept imprisoned by this extra-judicial sentencing long after their court-imposed sentences were fully served.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLike many nefarious practices, this abuse of power is disguised as a useful and necessary procedure.  It hides under the pretense of a disciplinary procedure called a Rule Violation Report (RVR).  That is, any prison employee, usually a prison guard, can write an RVR, documenting an alleged rule violation, whether or not such a violation actually occurred.  Another prison guard sits as the judge of the RVR, determining guilt or innocence and selecting from a myriad of punishments that are specified in the rule book.  The rule book does not include options to expand prisoners' sentences.  It does contain rules to assure a fair hearing, though there's no remedy for the fact that those fair hearing rules are not followed.  Often, there isn't any hearing at all.  The rule book also provides for referring serious and "real" cases to the DA for judicial prosecution.  That means that those prisoners who commit real crimes receive all of the judicial protections to assure a reliable verdict.  That, and not RVRs, is the proper method for adding to a prisoner's sentence.  An RVR is prohibited if a jury acquits a prisoner on a disciplinary matter.  In contrast, those falsely accused of petty infractions, like stepping over an out-of-bounds line on the pavement, being on the phone out-of-turn, or disagreeing with a guard on any issue, don't get judicial trials.  Instead, they get false RVRs.  Most RVRs are written by guards as retaliation against prisoners who've filed complaints against the guards for committing acts of serious misconduct.  There are even quotas.  This writer has seen female guards in tears for weeks because they didn't meet their illegal, underground quotas of RVRs and, consequently, were denied promotions.  Such quotas, of course, have bred an industry-within-an-industry of manufacturing false RVRs.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRVRs can amount to "life without parole" sentences because parole board members consider RVRs to be relevant during parole hearings.  Any RVR is regarded by parole board members as grounds to forbid parole, however irrelevant the RVR might be and even when parole board members acknowledge that an alleged violation couldn't have occurred.  The practice is in direct defiance of the governing statutes (Penal Code §§190 and 3041 (a) and (b)).  Nevertheless, no exceptions are made where any RVR is involved.  Though parole release is mandatory, it's illegally denied for up to 15 years before the next scheduled parole hearing.  During each such extended period of denial of parole, targeted prisoners are certain to receive more fake RVRs.  It happens at the whim of the guards and guarantees parole denial at the next hearing.  Three such denials means 45 more years in prison, in addition to time already served.  That can potentially mean life in prison for a sentence of only eight or so years, by the jury's verdict.  There's no jury involvement in the RVR process.  Sometimes, prisoners whose crimes were especially atrocious have been released years earlier than other prisoners who were sentenced to the same term but were targeted with false RVRs.  The disparity continues today, with no remedy in sight.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

About Free Lazor
Gayle Travis
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe author was never involved in crime.  On the contrary, he legally shot an armed would-be murderer who broke into his home.  Lazor was wrongfully convicted of murder for his act of self-defense.  Had he been paroled when the law required, in 1992, he could have been able to prove that he was the victim of one of the worst cases ever of conviction manufacturing by corrupt officials.  Prison guards have vowed to keep Lazor's release on parole blocked forever, converting his sentence into life without parole.

Contact Information
Free Lazor C-73842
P.O. Box 5103 C8-119
Delano, California
93216-5103
http://free-lazor.hostcell.net/
administrator@free-lazor.hostcell.net
10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  January 2011

Dreamscape:
The General Electric Company
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor many years after I left the General Electric Company, I was haunted by recurring bad dreams about the situation.  Here's a typical dream scenario.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI arrive at work one day, apparently as usual, only to realize that I'd forgotten to go to work for about the previous year.  For some reason, during that year it just didn't occur to me to go to work.  I was busy doing other things.  I just wake up that morning, completely forget that I haven't been going to work, and go to work.  I don't realize my mistake until I'm already in the building.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI wander around the building, wondering why I've still been receiving paychecks during the entire time that I wasn't going to work.  It seems that nobody noticed my absence.  During my absence, everything was reorganized and relocated.  I wander around the building looking for something familiar.  The place is filled with busy strangers.  I can't find my office.  I can't find anybody who knows me.  Mostly, I can't find anybody that I recognize.  Occasionally, I find somebody who seems familiar but I can't remember his name and he's way too busy for me to interrupt him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm desperate to retrieve all of the personal things that I'd taken to work to use in my office.  I recall that I'd had a lot of personal computers and a lot of furniture, all my personal property, in my office.  I'd been using my own file cabinets, desks, and so forth.  Occasionally, as I wander around the building, I notice a lamp or some other such thing that had been mine and that is being used by somebody else.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhenever I had such a dream, it never actually ended.  It just sort of faded and then I'd wake up feeling stressed, and trembling.  Being awake and realizing that I didn't work at GE anymore was always a welcome relief.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI seldom have those dreams anymore.  On those rare occasions when I do, they're shorter and less coherent.  I don't have the lost and bewildered feeling.  I usually enter the dream in search of something and then realize that, somehow, I don't need it after all.  Maybe, after almost 30 years, I'm finally recovering from the dismal experience of working as a wage slave in a repressive bureaucracy managed mostly by nitwits or self-centered empire builders who cared more for their own prerogatives than they did for the product.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suggest that you read the section on the General Electric Company in my memoir Outward Bound.  It's available on Pharos.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letter to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI cannot get enough of your incisive and brutally honest comments.  I hope you hear from some of my friends to whom I send your link.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLiberty, my favorite magazine has ceased print publication and gone digital and free on line.  Your readers are bound to like it.  http:/www.libertyunbound.com/....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReason magazine (January 2011) had an interesting article on anarchy, "The First War on Terror.".  What is your definition and analysis of anarchy?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThanks for sharing your wisdom with us timid souls.
—Boblink
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding my various comments, have you looked at Milam’s Notes?  It contains many of my thoughts from the early years.  The collection was originally inspired by Long's Notes, a collection of thoughts by a fictional character named Lazarus Long in an old Heinlein story.  I no longer remember the name of the story.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo far as I'm aware, I haven't been contacted by any of your friends.  Even so, I appreciate you sending a link.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn a political or societal context, chaos is lack of order, government is order achieved coercively, and anarchy is order achieved without coercion.  In order for anarchy to work, people must behave like mature adults.  Also, they must have a good understanding of and respect for contracts.  I suppose that's why we have so little anarchy in the world, and so much government.  Of course, once government exists then anarchy becomes illegal and chaos becomes the only alternative.  I suggest my little essay Anarchy, Monarchy, Malarkey.  It’s available on Pharos.
—editor
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
Challenge — Freedom isn’t for sissies.
Laundry Chores — It’s easier to match your socks in dim light.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
January 2011 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

A good example can be as instructive as a bad one.
—Tuesday, February 19, 1991
Milam's Notes
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  Boblink;  Eric, of Ione, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
Court Quotes
From Humor in the Court and More Humor in the Court, by Mary Louise Gilman, editor of the National Shorthand Reporter.  Forwarded by Don G.
Q: All your responses must be oral, OK?
A: OK.
Q: What school did you go to?
A: Oral.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Funny Statements
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
 On the other hand, you have different fingers.
 Despite the rising cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Funny Quotes by Famous People
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Millie, of Baltimore, Maryland.
I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered.  But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalog:  "No good in a bed, but fine against a wall."
—Eleanor Roosevelt
I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.
—Zsa Zsa Gabor
Sometimes, when I look at my children, I say to myself, "Lillian, you should have remained a virgin."
—Lillian Carter
(mother of Jimmy Carter)
My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.
—Rodney Dangerfield
Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP.
—Joe Namath

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Back Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or back issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  January 2011

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue