15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, May 2011
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Right Treatment
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA right is something that is within your ability, for which you don't need permission, and that will be generally or customarily approved or, at least, tolerated.  Different rights have different effects and accomplish different things.  A right of ownership means that a man who owns a thing can possess the thing, control it, use it, abuse it, dispose of it, damage it, destroy it, and so forth, as the case might be, without interference.  As with any right, when the government undertakes to regulate a right of ownership, then that right of ownership ceases to exist.  It becomes, instead, a privilege of custody.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReformers with agendas always believe that any obstacle must be removed for the sake of their agendas.  A right is often such an obstacle.  To any group of reformers, its own agenda is always more important than any such right that might interfere with the agenda.  The reformers' best weapon in disposing of such a right is to present the agenda as a worthy cause with which most people will be loathe to disagree lest they be subjected to abuse and defamation by the reformers.  In general, reformers have been very successful at imposing agendas upon people who didn't agree with those agendas, at the expense of rights previously held by those people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe animals' rights advocates are a good example of such a group of reformers.  People who advocate animals' rights don't seem to know much about either rights or ownership, or to care about such things.  To them, nothing is as important as the alleged rights of animals to whatever kind of treatment the reformers regard as de rigueur.  It's troublesome to such reformers that, if a man has a right of ownership of an animal, then he can possess the animal, control it, use it, abuse it, dispose of it, injure it, neglect it, or destroy it, without interference.  Therefore, a right of ownership of animals is intolerable to the animals' rights advocates.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAccordingly, the animals' rights advocates have long lamented the real or imagined plight of the animals, using sympathy as a weapon against the right of ownership.  They've used government force to impose their beliefs onto other people who might not agree with them, dictating by force how a man is permitted to treat his animals.  One result has been to convert a man's right of ownership of animals into a privilege of custody of the animals.  A worse result has been to transfer the right of ownership from the people to the government.  People who are in possession of animals must treat them as instructed by the authorities, who are the actual owners.  People are permitted to keep animals only for so long as they comply with the requirements established by the owners.  Any violation of any such requirement will cause the authorities to seize the animals.  Thus, the person who possesses an animal doesn't own it.  He's permitted to keep it in his possession at the pleasure of the authorities.  The government's ownership of the animals is further demonstrated by the fact that only the government can possess an animal, control it, use it, abuse it, dispose of it, injure it, neglect it, or destroy it, without interference.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI sympathize with abused or mistreated animals.  Nevertheless, I believe that a man's (erstwhile) right of ownership of an animal is more important than an animal's (alleged) right to a certain kind of treatment.  If some group of animals' rights advocates believes that a man is mistreating his animals, then they can ask him to treat the animals better.  If he refuses to do so, then they can offer to buy the animals from him.  If he refuses to sell, then they don't have any remaining legitimate option except to mind their own business, which doesn't include dictating to a man how he's permitted to treat his animals.  The next time that you see one of those animals' rights commercials with a woebegone pooch peering tearfully from behind the bars of the doggy gulag down at the pound, awaiting execution at the hands of the authorities, its actual owners, don't weep just for the dog.  Weep also for the people who no longer have a right to own it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.
May 2011 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

Letters to the Editor
Hi Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLoved your recent issue [April] and appreciated your reference to "evangelical" Christians.  As usual, I enjoyed the humor on the last page, and share your anger that the value of your thought provoking/entertaining newsletter is not generally recognized.  Thanks so much!
—Tom;  Redwood City, California 
Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGreetings!  Sam I must say your essay on "purity in anger" (April 2011) is your best!  You see Sam, anger is what motivates us to do what we have to do, it does not tear us down!  Or that "sissy" talk about letting go of anger because it isn't good or healthy!  But I tell you this;  at Wounded Knee all those braves were angry!  On account that the government broke all their treaties so they did what they had to do!  They were angry! enough to give up their lives!  And you're right about one thing!  No plane crashed into the Pentagon at all!  If you notice the video, it looked like a missile hit the place!  Or a bomb from the inside blew out!  But saying that a plane hit it is a lie!  No plane debris!  You know Sam that the government holds 95% of the truth from us and they control the media, so we do not know for sure what the truth is at all!  What makes me angry is that no one respects personal mail at all!  Back then when you could carry around your six shooters, and if some yellow-belly stole mail or horses, he finds himself in a pine box or he gets hanged!  Nowadays people are more sneaky and they let go of that healthy anger and settle for a "Dr. Phil" outlook that us God fearing "Americans" know is brainwash material!  It takes anger to do things and it takes anger to accomplish them.  But you're right, it takes sacrifice to reach a goal and it takes anger to reach it!  Never compromise when the hill seems steep or when you think what the use?  Just then you'll realize that people will listen how healthy anger can be when it's put to good use!  Well Sam keep up the good work and I'll keep on reading!  Take care my friend!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely,
—a prisoner

Cop Fooler T-Shirt
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHave T-shirts made with pictures of seat belts printed across them, diagonally.  You'd need T-shirts for the right seat and T-shirts for the left seat.  When you went whizzing past a nosey cop, it would appear to him that you were wearing your seat belt.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Curiosity
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Marilyn, of Bingham County, Idaho.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was walking past the mental hospital the other day and all of the patients were shouting, "13!  13!  13!"  The fence was too high for me to see over it but I looked through a little gap to see what was going on.  Some idiot poked me in the face with a stick.  Then, all of the patients began shouting, "14!  14!  14!"10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood Job — A perfect post hole is one where you didn't hit your foot with the post hole digger while you were digging the hole.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMadly In Love — Insofar as they affect human behavior, there doesn't seem to be much difference between love and insanity.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLoose Lips — If more than one person knows a thing then the thing isn't really a secret.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

And Then The Fight Started
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA woman was standing nude, looking at herself in the bedroom mirror.  She was not happy with what she saw.  She said to her husband, "I feel horrible.  I look old, fat, and ugly.  I really need for you to pay me a compliment."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe husband replied, "Your eyesight's darn near perfect."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Geometry Jokes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
Q: What do you call it when two geometry teachers get into an automobile accident?
A: A rectangle.
Q: What do geometry teachers do when they get mad at each other?
A: They square off.
Q: What do buzzards do when they see a sick or wounded geometry teacher?
A: They circle.
Q: What do geometry teachers use to catch stray animals?
A: Trapezoids.
Q: How do geometry teachers stay in touch?
A: They send parallelograms.
Q: How do witches stay in touch?
A: They send pentagrams.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  May 2011

Restart Earth
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI expect an extinction event to occur sometime in the foreseeable future.  It might happen tomorrow or it might not happen for a long time.  Whether or not it will happen isn't in question.  Eventually, it will happen.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm not concerned with minor extinction events.  The planetary environment can recover quickly enough from those.  I'm concerned with a major extinction event, the kind that leaves the planet with not much in the way of living things, if it leaves any living things at all.  Recovery from such a major event will take a long time.  I have an idea that might reduce the recovery time after such an event by a lot, maybe by millions of years.  I won't be able to do it by myself but it would be a good project for a group of people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe should build time capsules and scatter them all over the planet.  We should use concrete, unless someone can suggest a better material.  The composition of the concrete (or other material) should be such that it will last as long as possible before it begins to disintegrate.  The capsules should be hollow, so that they'll float, if necessary.  They should be filled with dry Nitrogen, unless somebody can suggest a better internal environment for them.  Within the Nitrogen (or other) environment, the capsules should contain seeds, or maybe spores, from the most hardy plants available.  Since there won't be any insects available in my proposed scenario, the plants must be of species that don't require pollination by insects.  I suppose that very simple, primitive plants might be best.  I don't know for sure.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe plan is that the time capsules will last long enough that, by the time that they begin to disintegrate, the planetary environment will be ready to begin the process of reestablishing itself, at least in some locations.  When the capsules begin to disintegrate, they'll release their contents into the waiting environment.  If the plants are able to survive in that environment, then the necessary recovery time for the planetary environment will be shortened significantly.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe project won't be very expensive, compared to the other loony things that people do, although it'll be way more expensive than anything that I can accomplish on my own.  Even if it won't work at all, it still won't be very much of a waste of resources.  In either case, I don't see what harm it will do to try.  I'll need funding and help from some botanists.  I'll need help from people who're familiar with fabricating things with concrete, or with whatever other materials we decide to use.  I'll need  some help from somebody who knows how to preserve seeds or spores.  It wouldn't hurt for some geologists to help us decide where to put the time capsules.  Of course, getting people to let us put them there will be a whole additional problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMaybe this seems like a loony idea but I don't see what harm it will do.  Anyway, I'm waiting for offers of help or funding and, of course, technical suggestions.  After all, I'm only the dreamer, not the technical expert.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Social Security
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Mary, of Rome, Georgia.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI edited this article a little for grammar and content but I didn't verify any of the claims that were made by the author.
—editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFranklin Roosevelt introduced the Social Security Program.  He promised that participation in the program would be completely voluntary.  It isn't voluntary.  He promised that the participants would have to pay into the program only 1% of the first $1,400 of their annual incomes.  It's now 7.65% on the first $90,000.  He promised that the funds that people paid into the program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year.  The funds paid into the program are no longer tax deductible.  He promised that the funds that the participants put into the program would go into an independent trust fund rather than into the general operating fund and would be used only to fund the program, and nothing else.  The funds were moved to the General Fund and are now spent on other things.  Roosevelt promised that the annuity payments to retirees would never be taxed as income.  The annuity payments are now taxable.  Up to 85% of your Social Security payments can be taxed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThen, after violating all of those original promises, the government gave to members of congress 100% retirement payments for serving only one term.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe worst part of the situation is that the people keep tolerating it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhere's the anger?

—editor

May 2011 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it....
—from the Declaration of Independence
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  and Tom, of Redwood City, California.
— editor
Actual Product Instructions
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
• Instructions printed on the bottom of Tesco's Tiramisu dessert:
 Do not turn upside down.
 By the time that you read the instruction, it's already too late.
• On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding:
 Product will be hot after heating.
• On the packaging for a Rowenta iron:
 Do not iron clothes on body.
• On a box of Nytol Sleep Aid:
 Warning:  May cause drowsiness.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Comments
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
• Sometimes I wake up grumpy.  Other times, I just let him sleep.
• Sorry, I don't date outside my species.
• Real women don't have hot flashes.  They have power surges.
• OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?
• I don't suffer from insanity.  I enjoy every moment of it.
• According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
• I have pride.  Vanity is what other people have.
• Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
• Be nice to your kids.  They're the ones who'll get to choose your nursing home.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Back Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or back issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  May 2011

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue