PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, December 2012
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Beyond Evangelism
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEvangelism is among the most harmful of all human behaviors.  That's true because of the incrementalism that's usually inherent in evangelism.  If devout people simply lived their lives according to their beliefs, then that would be acceptable, even commendable.  Sadly, living by one's beliefs is seldom sufficient.  Devoutness is likely to deteriorate into pride, then haughtiness, then arrogance.  What begins as a group of devout people will often fall prey to evangelistic zeal.  If the evangelists win some converts, then that will only encourage them.  The more successful they become, the more power they will have.  Persuasion will be replaced by coercion and then by force.  As the evangelists become powerful, enforcement will become their agenda.  As Robert A. Heinlein noted long ago, freedom varies inversely with the strength of the strongest religion.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThroughout history, the forcible imposition of beliefs has probably been one of the primary causes of repression.  Left to themselves, people are not likely to cure the defects in human nature that lead to such repression.  Those defects might even lead to such scenarios as were predicted by Aldous Huxley in Brave New World or by Theodore John Kaczynski in Industrial Society and Its Future.  Those two documents are worlds apart in many ways, but they each predict a future in which human nature itself has been intentionally redesigned to satisfy an agenda.  Neither of the documents predicts an end to evangelism.  They predict human societies in which evangelism has reached its ultimate goal of universal compliance, by means of the complete elimination, among the people, of any ability or even of any desire to deviate from orthodox behavior.  George Orwell noted that orthodoxy means not thinking, not needing to think.  Orthodoxy, he observed, is unconsciousness.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the meantime, evangelism is so pervasive that most people don't even notice it.  Evangelism is the accepted way of life.  We swim in it like fish swim in water.  We're inundated by reformers, all working feverishly to prevent us from eating dolphin, buying ivory, texting while driving, peeking up a woman's dress, parking in the wrong spaces, calling somebody fat, kicking the dog, starving the horse, throwing away plastic, using the wrong words, and so forth.  The common feature is the forcible imposition of an agenda that will prevent us from behaving according to our own beliefs.  Deviation in all but the most trivial of matters isn't tolerated.  Institutions, particularly schools, even boast about their "zero tolerance" policies.  Where did America lose it's way?  When did intolerance become a virtue?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIntolerance is a breeding ground for hatred.  It isn't surprising that we're gradually being subjected to so-called hate crime legislation but few people seem to understand the implications.  If somebody kills a man, then he's punished for killing.  If he did it because of hatred, then he's additionally punished.  The additional punishment isn't for his behavior.  It's for his attitude.  Hate crime legislation doesn't punish someone for what he did.  It punishes him for what he believes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHate crime is a special case of thought crime, as described by George Orwell.  The evangelists can't enact thought crime legislation all at once.  Little steps are necessary.  Hate crime is one of the steps.  Once attitude is a cause for punishment, then behavior becomes not so much the crime as the proof.  Therein lies the Orwellian connection to evangelism, as we creep ever closer to a future in which orthodoxy means not thinking, not needing to think.  Orthodoxy means compliance.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't know how we'll retain any liberty in the culture of mindless obedience that the reformers are trying to create, but we need to try.  My best idea so far is personal sovereignty.  I'm still trying to prove that it will work.  If it does, then it will come at a price.  Maybe you can think of something better.  Whatever we do, we need to do it without becoming evangelists ourselves, without forcing other people to "be free like us", or we'll only be contributing to the evangelism and perpetuating the problem.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

December 2012 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour article, "Real Men Don't Say Spritz" was very educational and helps me to understand women.  But, you didn't touch on the really big issue which is the toilet seat.  Why is it a felony for a man to leave the seat up?  There must be some historical background.  Did the inventor, John Crapper have a psychotic wife?  Did the Queen of England not approve of the invention?  Was Crapper knighted or was he executed for his noble invention?  Perhaps one of your readers has the answer.
—Bob Link
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWikipedia has an interesting article that cites Thomas Crapper as being involved in the development and marketing of the flush toilet.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's my opinion about the toilet seat controversy.  Either....
1.15x5 Page Background GIF Imagea woman can leave the seat up for him when she's finished and he can leave it down for her when he's finished, or
2.15x5 Page Background GIF Imageshe can lower it when she needs it lowered and he can raise it when he needs it raised.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAny such arrangement is fair and equitable.  If a woman refuses such an arrangement then she isn't trying to keep the toilet seat down.   She's trying to control  his behavior.
—editor
Hi Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour "Real Men Don't Say Spritz" article hit several nails on the head for me.  Just before I read it my wife came home and after discovering that I had washed several days of dirty dishes that had been scattered all over the kitchen, she thanked me.  Idiot that I am, I suggested that it might be a better idea to wash the dishes just after getting them dirty.  Her response was a tantrum, refusal to discuss the issue and several hours of silent treatment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you,
—Steve;  Mililani, Hawaii
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's a joke that I heard somewhere.  No husband has ever been shot by his wife while he was washing the dishes.
—editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI thought you were going to talk about language [Real Men Don't Say Spritz   —editor] but I'll write back to you anyway.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRecently listened to a audiotape from TTC about the evolution of English.  To native English speakers having a female table or trouble or a pencil that is a male seems foolish to us.  Thank Odin that the Vikings stripped Britain of all that nonsense.  Except for one instance:  the third person singular.  He/she is an odious attempt at grammar neutrality.  Perhaps it's time to borrow a neutral term from another language.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutrality_in_genderless_languages;  "Estonian word ta (or tema) is gender-neutral and means both "she" and "he".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are many other examples on that page.  I feel sorry for folks who are stuck in a language where everything has a gender.  Language shapes the thoughts and feelings of a person.  For instance;  saying 'No problemo' would get a native Puerto Rican male all riled up because — trouble is always a woman — it's 'No problema'.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt was disappointing that your article was just another rant about women being giving carte blanche to ride roughshod on men.  Sometimes humor can defuse a situation such as when some bitch says "take it like a man" you can return with a snappy answer to a snide remark such as "use some grease if I'm getting fucked over."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's my thing on ready retorts for snarky snide remarks:  my net name is ptosis.
http://ptosis.hubpages.com/hub/VerbalDefense
—ptosis
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suspect that your hypothetical Puerto Rican man might not use "no problema" very often.  He'd probably have more use for either "no problemo" or "mucha problema", which just goes to show how handy it can be to have a gender specific capability in a language.  Gender neutral terms are also useful.  In the English language, we don't have just "he" and "she".  We also have "it", although a woman might be miffed if a man referred to her that way.  The typically stupid feminist answers to that dilemma, the terms "he/she" and "s/he", are, as I noted, typically stupid.  The generic sense of "he" works just fine, so long as there aren't any rabid feminists in the vicinity.
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehe ...   used in a generic sense or when the sex of the person is unspecified....
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
Eleventh Edition
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTables, pencils, and so forth don't have gender significance and it's usually although not always silly for a language to apply gender significance to such items.  Males and females do have gender significance and it's appropriate that a language should recognize and express that gender significance.  To strip gender specific terms from the English language
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2012

would be to diminish the language.   With regard to the consequences of that, I suggest the Wikipedia article Newspeak.  Regarding some of the various peculiarities of our language, you might be interested in my essay The Ravings of a Mad Man, in which I invented the term nononym.  Also see Milam's Dictionary of Distinctions, Differences, and other Odds and Ends.  They're both available on Pharos.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn "Real Men Don't Say Spritz", I wrote about usage, which is indeed, a part of language.  The usages that I mentioned are based on well established patterns of behavior.  The comment about a woman scorned goes back at least to 1697, when it was used by William Congreve in The Mourning Bride.  He might have turned that particular phrase but he didn't invent the idea.  That idea transcends both time and language, and can be traced at least as far back as 411 B.C., where it was mentioned by Aristophanes, in Lysistrata.
There is no animal more invincible than a woman, nor fire either, nor any wildcat so ruthless.
—from Lysistrata
by Aristophanes
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI wouldn't be surprised if the idea goes all the way back to the Neanderthal women, who were probably just as "mucha problema" as modern women are.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you're disappointed in my "rant" about the behavior of women, then imagine how tired I am of women complaining about the behavior of men.  I'm only writing a newsletter and I don't force anybody to read it.  The woman have turned their complaints into a systematic program of political repression that's mandatory on all of us.  My article was a credible discussion of observed patterns of behavior and was far less obnoxious than is the feminists’ calculated programs of sexual entrapment and subsequent punishment.  Finally, with regard to such behavior, I also have two short stories.  They might be more entertaining for you than my "rants".  They are Lady's Man and The Fable of the Woman Who Cried Wolf.  They're both available on my personal website.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI took a look at your article, referenced in your message above, about people who accuse us of causing our own problems by the choices that we make.  Here are a few of my thoughts on that subject.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf a person's choices are sufficiently reduced before he has the opportunity to make them, then he can be forced to do by choice anything that is desired of him, however onerous it might be.  Consider that a man will choose to jump from the top of a burning building.  You don't have to push him but that doesn't mean that he wanted to do it.  He does it because he's driven to it by a lack of better choices.  Jumping is the best available option.  So, is it by choice that a man is in an impoverished situation and is begging for food?  Maybe.  Was there a better option?  Maybe not.  The government might already have reduced his options, in advance, to either begging for food or submitting to slavery.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe elimination of options is one of the primary functions of government, and one of its most effective weapons of control.
—editor

Gendervision
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn his letter to the editor last month, Frank, of San Jose, California, reported his observations of gender bias on the television.  In my editorial reply, I noted some examples of my own.  The letter to the editor from ptosis, above, prompted me to continue in that vein.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI saw another example of gender bias, or at least of gender myopia, on a recent rerun of NCIS.  A nubile young female was wearing her skirt all the way up to her butt and, in public, she was bending over a table.  She was putting on quite a show.  When she looked around and saw that McGee was watching her, she was ready to claw his eyes out for staring.  What did she expect?  If she's going to dress like that and then stick her ass out, men are going to stare.  Maybe women don't notice it when other women do things like that, but men notice it.  We're the ones who're accused of sexual harassment when, as in the NCIS episode, we're actually the victims of the sexual entrapment scams that women routinely perpetrate.  It's one of the ways in which they try to control us.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThen there's that Zaxby's Big Zax Snack Meal commercial where the woman walks up and slaps Clay Matthews on the butt.  It's clear from the dialog that, in the scenario, the two were not previously acquainted, but he "takes it like a man" anyway.  With commendable courtesy, he even offers her a bite of his snack meal.  What do you suppose would happen if he had slapped her on the butt?  I expect that the network would be inundated by shrieks of outrage from the feminazis.  Gender bias is alive and well on the television.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol
December 2012 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA difficult ingredient of enlightenment is to achieve high self-esteem and humility, both at the same time. 
—Thursday, October 27, 1994
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  Bob Link;  and Joseph, of Northridge, California.
— editor
Useful Units of Measure
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Precisely 16.5 feet in the Twilight Zone:
1 Rod Serling
1000 aches:
1 kilo-hurts
1 million microphones:
1 megaphone
1 million bicycles:
2 megacycles
365.25 days:
1 unicycle
10 cards:
1 decacards10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Statements Attributed to Al Gore
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Lady Jan the Voluptuous.  I didn't try to verify any of them.
We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO.  We have a firm commitment to Europe.  We are a part of Europe.
—date unknown
Public speaking is very easy.
—speaking to reporters, October 1995
I am not part of the problem.  I am a Democrat.
—date unknown
A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.
—date unknown
When I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct & simple.  Who is to blame for the riots?  The rioters are to blame.  Who is to blame for the killings?  The killers are to blame.
—date unknown
For NASA, space is still a high priority.
—September 5, 1993

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Past Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or past issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.org.uk.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2012

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue