Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, February 2016
Vengeance is Profitable, Stay Out of This, God
Robert H. Outman, Prisoner P-79939
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOver 150 years ago, literary and philosophical icon Fyodor Dostoyevsky wrote, "The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."  Today, few know what happens within the high walls and lethal electric fences surrounding modern prisons.  Those maintaining prisons rely on well groomed masters in public relations, who are careful not to affront society's expectations, to carry their messages and assurances.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn reality, by Dostoyevsky's measure, civilization of today's society is little worthy of pride.  At 5% of the world's population, the United States houses 25% of the world's prisoners, and disgracefully leads all civilized nations in punishing old men to death.  On any given day, one can see thousands of old men limping about prison yards with canes, walkers, and wheelchairs.  Younger men, bearing the yoke of brutally long sentences, are permeated in rancor and condescension, assuring polarization.  Prisons are like farmers cultivating their crops but, while farmers deliver their crops to the market, prisons deliver their products back into society.  By any definition, this can't be defined as civilized.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeyond being the laughing-stock of other civilized nations, U.S. prisons exhibit a perverse agenda.  Shamefully, U.S. incarceration has become an economic bonanza with reports of as much as 80+ billion dollars in the annual punishment mother lode.  Defending massive prison budgets, prison industry spin doctors instill fear, like foxes assuring everybody that chickens are dangerous.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn California, a multi-billion dollar leader in the prison cartel, "rehabilitation," is a buzzword in justifying the bloated budget.  Polished press releases tout vocational training and on-the-job training in the prison industrial complex, a for-profit industry using prisoner labor.  It's all very politically correct.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, the devil is in the details.  With recidivism rates reaching 70%, an intelligent person has to question "rehabilitation."  Vocational training is a great idea but there aren't any statistics as to parolee placement in these vocations, nor are there statistics as to parolee unemployment, which is suspected to be around 70%.  Could those prison industry spin doctors be embellishing the facts?  Could "rehabilitation" heralding be a Machiavellian device to justify something else?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA blatant clue to the truth, and to California's real agenda, can be found at the prison parole gates.  To start a new life, released prisoners, who have been incapacitated by 15, 20, 30 years, or more of isolation from society, are provided $200 in "gate money", minus the cost of the street clothing that they have to buy themselves.  Gate money has been the same for over fifty years, with no cost-of-living adjustments.  This is a recipe for failure.  No one in the twenty-first century can start a new life on less than $200.  In an ironic twist, California's prison guards are the highest paid in the world.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePenological experts have pragmatic opinions about today's prisons.  In his book Discipline and Punishment:  The Origin of the Prison, forensic psychologist Michel Foucault defines current prison models as dysfunctional.  He tells us that prisons make criminals:  "The delinquent is an institutional product."  In his book The Lucifer Effect, psychologist Dr. Philip Zimbardo, Ph.D., advises us that current prison models are breeding grounds for evil, affecting both prisoners and staff.  He noted, "A system designed to combat evil, creates evil."  Psychologist Maureen Murdock, Ph.D., writes "Part of the problem in the United States is that we have a very punitive society focused on inflicting punishment and pain."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDr. Murdock's observation, "we have a very punitive society," identifies the fuel feeding the financial fires that drive the incarceration frenzy.  Politicians and profiteers are more than willing to feed society's insatiable appetite for punishment and pain with longer sentences and bigger prisons, modern day shrines to social vengeance.  Who needs God for vengeance, when the prisons can do it so well?
Arrow

November 2016 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn 2013, one recommendation by a federal three-judge panel was to reduce the population of elderly prisoners.  The state responded with a plan to consider parole for prisoners who were over the age of 60 and who had served more than 25 years.  Out came the metaphorical pitchforks, torches, dogs, and public outrage.  Prosecutors, victim's rights groups, and assorted advocates for death in prison voiced their abhorrent shock, fueling the fires.  On March 12, 2016, the San Jose Mercury News article, Parole twist stuns, angers, captured Dr. Murdock's observation regarding society's thirst for punishment.  With a broad brush, the advocates for death in prison attacked the wisdom of the federal judges and the state legislators, who'd attempted to find rational ground.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe driving force of today's prison agenda of financial exploitation is vengeance.  Thinking that more prison bunks will cure crime is like thinking that more hospital beds will cure cancer.  Long term incapacitation has to be replaced with a true rehabilitation system.  With today's ever-growing social ills, people might be so blinded with a thirst for more punishment that they can't see that the failure of current prison models might well be society's canary in the mine.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere are some thoughts about rehabilitation and recidivism.  If I understand things correctly, then most prisoners are members of gangs, and they spend their resources fighting among themselves.  Is it possible that, maybe, prisoners don't necessarily have to be one another's enemies?  Maybe the authorities are the enemy, and their provocateurs are playing the gangs against one another, as a strategy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat could prisoners accomplish if they spent their energy on something useful?  For example, what if they used that effort to promote and support halfway houses?  The halfway houses could be places where released prisoners could live, eat, avoid bad influences, and look for jobs after being released from prison.  If prisoners did something like that, instead of fighting among themselves, then rehabilitation might be something more than a pipe dream.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGranted, prisoners aren't in a position to change the world, but they might be able to help themselves.  I suggest that they try to stop wasting their time and energy on brutalizing each other and start doing something constructive, before they leave prison, about what they're going to do after they leave prison.  Cura te ipsum — physician, heal thyself — might also come to mean prisoner, rehabilitate thyself.

—editor
Letters to the Editor
Dear Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood Afternoon.  My name is [name omitted].  I am a "lifer" serving 2 life sentences.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI live with a roommate [name omitted].  He also receives your newsletters on a regular basis.  And I would like to request to also be put on your mailing list as well.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAlso, if you do not mind, I would like to make a particular article of yours.  It is entitled "Material-Safety Data Sheet" and is about women.  I am unsure of its printed date, but think it was/is 1996 or 1998.  It's an old printing, I know — but if you still have one, I'd very much enjoy having a copy of it....
—a prisoner
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have to wonder about the courts.  If they'll sentence a man to serve two life sentences then, in a capital case, will they sentence a man to be executed twice?  Does any of it make any sense at all?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Material Safety Data Sheet appeared on page 4 of the February 1996 issue.  That was more than 20 years ago.  You have a long memory.
—editor
Dear Friend, Sam....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have let many other prisoners here read your Frontiersman, so you may get more mail soon.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI hope "Matthew" didn't give you too much rain & you are not flooded...
—a prisoner
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's been dry here.
—editor
Greetings Sam:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeen a while since I wrote to you.  Hope you are well.  Very much enjoyed the October Frontiersman.  I was on hiatus in the writing department but, have found a person to continue posting my stuff so the inspiration has been rekindled.  Will share with you once I get going again.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHope you are doing good my friend.
—Sticky
A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn most conversations with a man, a woman's purpose is to explain to him that he's wrong about something, and to correct him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen talking to a woman, a man is well advised to keep Miranda v. Arizona firmly in mind.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol
Page 2  Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 November 2016

Bibles, Goats, and Choices
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've been criticizing Christian evangelism for a long time.  Eventually, somebody always accuses me of Christian bashing.  I construe such an accusation to be a tacit admission that my criticisms are valid.  Otherwise, the critic would be able to refute them.  Since they're valid, he can't refute them.  So, instead, he attacks me.  Next, he'll assert that the people that I'm criticizing aren't really TRUE Christians.  They're some other guys who just call themselves Christians.  They're fakes.  The Christian who's complaining to me always believes himself to be a TRUE Christian.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEvery Christian on the planet claims that only the members of his own particular group are the true Christians.  The other guys are always fakes.  Every Christian on the planet claims that only his beliefs are correctly based on the Bible.  The beliefs of the others are always false.  Since every variety of Christian calls every other variety of Christian a fake, it all cancels out.  I don't see any reason to suppose that any one of them is any more credible than are any of the others.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't care if a Christian's beliefs are based on the Bible or on the entrails of a goat.  Given the multitude of different versions of the Bible (and of goats), I believe that anybody who wants to call himself a Christian has as much right to do so as does anybody else.  A claim of unique legitimacy might theoretically be valid, but not necessarily.  It will certainly be disputed by other identical claims.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo far as I'm concerned, all Christians share the guilt of evangelism, which is one of the most harmful influences in the known history of human society.  Any Christian who doesn't want to be a part of the sorry Christian history of carnage, blood, and brutality can do what I did.  He can divest himself of any and all connections to Christianity and stop calling himself a Christian.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Usurperation of Church and State
Sam Aurelius Milam III

In olden times, or so I'm told,
Religion ruled the land.
In every place, in every way,
It had the upper hand.

And should a doubt arise to lure
A pilgrim from his path,
Or should a pagan show his face,
The clergy showed its wrath.

With crushing boards or flaying blades,
Or burning stakes, and more,
The church enforced its dominance
Back in those days of yore.

But now, faced with diversity
The church must seem to change,
And seem like it is tolerant
Of things, however strange.

So when the doctrine of the church
Must be imposed by force,
The church transfers the dirty work
To government, of course.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Plastic Peril
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe picture to the right is part of a collection that was brought to my attention by Ptosis.  Not all of the pictures in the collection are as pitiful and as tragic as this one, but this one is a good reminder that we should all be careful about how we dispose of our trash.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDon't get the wrong message.  I'm not advocating the enactment of additional repressive environmental legislation.  We already have way too much of that.  I'm not advocating a bunch of boohoo turtle commercials on the TV.  We already have way too many boohoo dog, boohoo cat, boohoo horse (and so forth) commercials.  I'm only suggesting that we should all try to be worthy and honorable custodians of this planet.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Turtle

November 2016 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeing able to vote for your master doesn't keep you from being his slave.  In fact, voting for him legitimizes the relationship.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun 15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  Betty;  Carl, of Gramling, South Carolina;  Gary, of Ione, California;  and Eric, of Ione, California.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Blonde Jokes
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat happened to the blonde tap dancer?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe slipped off the sink and broke her ankle.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow do you give a blonde a brain transplant?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBlow in her ear.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

It's Great to Be a Guy Because
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe remote control is yours and yours alone.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWedding dress:  $2,000;  tuxedo rental:  $75.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGray hair and wrinkles add character.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Interesting Facts Claims
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNinety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageElephants are the only animals that can't jump.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOnly one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not possible to lead one downstairs.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  All past issues are available at http://frontiersman.org.uk/.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.org.uk.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 November 2016

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue