Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
TANSTAAFL
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image All around the world, relief agencies such as the WFP are giving free food to people who aren’t doing anything to pay for it, people in refugee camps, disaster areas, and so forth.  Where does the WFP get the funds to pay for the food?  My understanding is that most of the funds are donated by governments.  Where do the governments get the funds?  I expect that most such funds come from taxes.  No matter what other manipulations might be used to generate funds, people who’re doing something to earn a living ultimately bear the burden of providing them.
Current World Population
https://www.census.gov/popclock/world
Population Curve
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.html

15x5 Page Background GIF Image In spite of the use of paper currency, funding doesn’t grow on trees.  So, the strategy for feeding the hungry people is for other people to pay for it.  The healthier the free food keeps those hungry people, the more inclined they’re going to be to keep having more kids.  Thus, the present strategy enables them to increase their numbers, disincentivizes or maybe even punishes the people who’re providing the funds, and serves to make the problem worse for everybody.  Except for such things as bugs in the grass and berries, when they’re in season, food isn’t free.  There aren’t enough bugs and berries to feed everybody.  I don’t know how to solve the problem of hunger in the world but, as Heinlein and others have noted, “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.”10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
5x5 Page Background GIF Image

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe basic theorem of population mathematics to which there has never been found an exception is that population increases always, not merely up to extent of the food supply, but beyond it, to the minimum diet that will sustain life — the ragged edge of starvation.
— from Farmer in the Sky
by Robert A. Heinlein

Additional Reading
Essays About Money, Taxes, and Corporations, available in Pharos
http://pharos.org.uk/Money_Taxes_Corporations/Money_Taxes_Corps.html
10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Ancient Mystery
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’ve noticed that some people are worried about the risks of artificial intelligence.  Such risks have been explored in science fiction stories at least since the 1950s, and probably even before that.  Even the various origin stories are filled with entities and deities that suspiciously resemble advanced AI.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image For now, the best use for AI will be to control things.  That’s because AI won’t get tired or distracted and won’t demand extra days off.  Consider, for example, that AI could manage air traffic control, schedule aircraft inspections and maintenance, and remotely fly the airplanes.  There would seldom be a mechanical failure or a collision.  The planes would leave and arrive on time.  It’s such a perfect match of abilities and needs that such use of AI is inevitable.  The same consideration applies to every part of our infrastructure.  After we finish making our cars remotely accessible and self-driving, AI could even drive those for us.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Also consider this.  AI will have access to and control of all surveillance networks, communications, and transportation.  It will have the use of voice and face recognition technology.  Sooner or later, all of our access to and use of everything will depend on biometric ID.  Thus, AI will always know where we are, who we’re with, what we’re doing, and what we’re saying.  A time will arrive, and it will slip by unnoticed, when we will no longer be able to hide from AI, or control it, but it will be able to control us.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’m reminded of the all-seeing, all-knowing god of the Old Testament.  Those people were afraid of that god, and maybe with good reason.  Maybe their fears followed from distorted accounts of an AI that “went bad”, far in their past.  Why would an AI “go bad”?  Who knows?  Some experts suggest that an AI’s “thought” processes are so different from ours that we might not be able to understand them at all.  So, like that ancient and jealous god, AI will work in mysterious ways.  Who can say why it might decide to smite its makers?10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
Additional Reading
The Word, July 2023, http://frontiersman.org.uk/2023/2023-07/2023-07.html#The_Word10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

February 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

Way Back Then
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Sometime while I was in high school, from 1960 to 1964, I made a somewhat unusual comment to my father.  I suggested that, if the U.S. government would fly airplanes all over the entire planet and expose everybody to chemicals that would permanently, genetically, reduce human fertility to about 10% of what it is, then for the next 100 years, the United States would be the most hated nation on Earth and, after that, the most revered.  My father gave me a strange look, but no reply.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My youthful and draconian suggestion for solving the problem of overpopulation isn’t as important as the fact that, more than 60 years ago, I was already thinking about it.  Here are the sad parts of the story.  First, since 1960, the world population has increased from about 3 billion to more than 8 billion.  It continues to grow.  Second, nowadays, most people are ignoring the problem and trying only to solve its consequences.  Finally, after all of those years, I still haven’t been able to figure out any better solution to the problem than the one that I suggested to my father, way back then.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
A Riot of Color
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’m really tired of the term human race.  There isn’t any such thing.  We’re a species, not a race.  It’s human species, not human race.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’m almost as tired of the notion that there are four distinctly different races within the species.  When I was a child, we sang, in Sunday School, “Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world.”  Thus, we were taught that there are four distinct races.  Brainwashing might be a better way to describe what they did to us, instead of teaching.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My computer has 256 shades of gray, 254 if you don’t count black and white as shades of gray.  I expect that there are probably about as many shades of, gray?  brown?  whatEVER!  between totally black people and totally white people.  It isn’t possible to arbitrarily declare a location in that spectrum and then defend the silly notion that people on one side of it are black and people on the other side of it are white.  The color (shade?) of people immediately on one side of the declared location will be indistinguishable from that of people immediately on the other side of it.  There’s a gradual change from totally black to totally white.  So, people on both sides of the issue will be mad at me now because I’m questioning their silly excuse for hating each other.  I’ve also made it uncertain about just exactly who’s on one side and who’s on the other.  It depends on where you declare the location.  Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, looks white to me.  What a conundrum.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Hey!  Here’s another idea!  If skin color is that important, then why not hair color, too?  After all, we have blonde jokes but not redhead jokes.  Prejudice based on hair color makes just as much sense as prejudice based on skin color.  So, we can declare a blonde race, a brunette race, a black race, a redheaded race and, just to avoid accusations of ageism, a gray race.  If we combine the two categories of races then, with some help from the cosmetics industry, we can have a blonde white race, a blonde black race, a blonde yellow race, a blonde red race, a brunette white race, a brunette black race, a — and so forth.  Since we’re already getting help from the cosmetics industry, we can also have a magenta black race, a chartreuse red race, a pink white race, hey, I saw a pink white on a TV commercial once who made me want to just reach right out and grab, oops, lets keep away from that.  I’m going to offend enough people already, just writing about race.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Now that I think about artificial color, my computer has only 256 shades of gray but it has millions of colors.  With more help from the cosmetics industry, and once they think of it they’re sure to do it, there could be millions of  skin colors.  Sure!  Of course!  If you can dye your hair, then why not dye your skin?   It’s an idea to dye for!  The number of possible combinations of hair color and skin color (let’s not mention eye color) allows for the existence of billions of different races.  Each and every person on the planet could be his (her) own race!  With that many races, there’s sure to be lots and lots of prejudice, and lots and lots of race riots.  When people figure out where I live, the street out front is going to be a riot of..., a riot of..., naw, I just can’t bring myself to print such a silly thing.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Your Dec 2023 Frontiersman as usual is a good read.  Lots of material on tyrannical government.  I think my favorite article was “The Tytler Cycle”, it’s spot on.  I think the largest spot that causes rot is the “abundance” to “selfishness” state.  That’s the “haves” greedily forcing their wills on the “have nots”.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Another line that stood out to me as ringing true was, “Seventy two million gun owners didn’t kill anyone yesterday."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGibbs’ Rule Number 39” is certainly food
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 February 2024

for thought as well.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Without a doubt we are living in treacherous times.  Republicans and Democrats are tearing the country apart.  Both sides are creating an “us against them” scenario, where in reality, it’s plutocracy that’s ruining our country.  Time has come for our democracy to gasp it’s dying breaths, and demagogy to enslave Americans for a bit.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image It’s the citizens faults.  We let the foxes into the hen house.  It should be us (citizens) against them (state and federal gov’t)....
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... I really liked your article “The American Dream” [January issue].  You, as usual, have hit the nail squarely on the head.  Every one is screaming about equality and in reality, equality isn’t a standard that will ever be realized.  In a society where there is 13% black and 62% white, in the U.S.A., blacks are going to be all back of the bus and shit, but let’s reverse the scenario.  In Zimbabwe, whites are the pariah.  Whomever is in the minority will always be left wanting, color aside.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image In reality, even if we had identical populations of white, black, brown, reds, yellows, etc., do you know who would get the “one upsman” cards?  The commander in chief’s color and ideology would decide.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Things will always be unequal.  Wealth creates plutocrats, plutocrats create autocrats, autocrats continue through nepotism.  After that, who’s stronger, who’s faster, who’s better looking, so on and so on.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image What amazes me is how the rich keep the poor fighting for table scraps and fighting for an unattainable goal, equality.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Have a good one.
—S. H., a prisoner

Hey Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I wanted to write and let you know that I got the December issue of your newsletter.  “Thank you.”  It’s always good to hear from you....
—H. L., a prisoner 

Another Chain That Binds Us
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image A big problem with conventional marriage is the license.  Applying for a marriage license is the same thing as asking the government for permission to get married.  The license causes the marriage to be a licensed institution in a regulated industry, like a business.  It gives the government a jurisdiction over the marriage, allowing the government to regulate the marriage like a business.  The government’s jurisdiction is legitimate because the people voluntarily applied for the license.  They’re required to comply with all applicable rules and regulations.  If they comply, then they get the associated privileges.  If they don’t comply, then they get punished.  A licensed marriage can’t even be terminated without the approval of the government.  The parties must request a divorce, which ends the marriage but not the jurisdiction.  After a divorce, the parties must continue to comply with the terms and conditions of the divorce, just like they were required to comply with the terms and conditions of the marriage.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image There isn’t any reason why every marriage has to be a government institution.  People should consider that carefully before they get a license.  Also, there isn’t any reason why everybody should be saddled with a conventional, Christian style marriage.  There are a lot of possible alternatives.  There are group marriages, polygamous marriages, contractual marriages, temporary marriages, common-law marriages, and any other arrangement that ingenuity can devise.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I suggest that people should remove the religious dogma from the legislation and the religious brainwashing from their minds.  With a little imagination, they might find arrangements that they like a lot better than the traditional Christian deal, with a legally binding government license.  Occasionally, some young rascal might decide to unbend his knee and not get married at all.  Maybe an old rascal, too.10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Here’s an instance in which our language has failed us.  We don’t have different words to describe a legitimate jurisdiction as opposed to an illegitimate jurisdiction.  Both kinds of jurisdictions are described by the same word, jurisdiction.  The lack of a distinction in the terminology impairs people’s ability to recognize and understand the difference.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The best way to help homeless people might be to repeal the minimum wage.  Then, maybe somebody could afford to hire them.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image So-called hate crime is a legislative and judicial ploy that hypocritical reformers use to additionally punish people that they hate.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image For some jobs, elbow grease is the best lubricant.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The problem with achieving humility in western culture is that we lack the wisdom to comprehend it and the vocabulary to define it.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Sweat is good for the body.  Work is good for the soul.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The best way to achieve affordable housing is to remove all of the stupid, unnecessary, hi-tech requirements from the building codes.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

February 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF Image When your heart is truly pure, you really do have the strength of ten.  And further, while it is best to have your heart pure with God’s love, pure anything will do.  Pure honor or pure greed.  Pure hate or even pure evil.  It is only the contradictions and inner conflicts that weaken a man.
    — from The Cross-Time Engineer
by Leo Frankowski

Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Eric, of Stockton, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
The Power of Prayer
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Millie, of Superior Arizona.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image When the people in the local church found out that their small town was going to get a new tavern, they started having regular prayer meetings to block the tavern from opening.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Work on the tavern progressed uneventfully until the night before it was scheduled to open, when a huge storm blew through and a lightning bolt struck the new tavern and it burned to the ground.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The church folks were quite smug until the tavern owner sued them on the grounds that they were responsible for his building’s demise, either through direct or indirect actions or means.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image In court, the church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the building’s demise.  As the case concluded, the judge looked over the paperwork and commented, “I’m not sure how I’m going to decide this, but it appears from the paperwork that we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer and an entire church congregation that doesn’t!”10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Availability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on disks are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Cancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Reprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Submissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Payment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 February 2024
15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue