15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Frontiersman, January 1994
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief: A Satirical Essay
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
Part 1:  There Was a Crooked Man
                           Who Walked a Crooked Mile
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are two types of people on government supported welfare programs:  those who need to be, and those who don't.  Of the two types, only those who need the support are victims of poverty.  Everyone else involved with a welfare program, in whatever capacity and however remotely, is benefitting from poverty.  This, of course, includes those recipients of welfare payments who don't need them.  Thus, the primary consequence of government supported welfare programs is to insure that the number of people benefitting from poverty is greater than the number of people suffering from it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageParkinson's Law,1 as applied to government supported welfare programs, tells us that welfare recipients will increase in number such as to absorb all available welfare payments.  As a corollary, this increase in numbers will shift the proportion of welfare types heavily toward those who don't need it.  The only limit to the total number of recipients that may exist is the level of payment that can be tolerated by the rest of society.  Students of social dynamics usually refer to this as Propulsive Poverty, and recommend against it.  In fact, those students with a finely honed sense of cynicism claim that the only workable solution to the problem of providing welfare support is to stop doing so as quickly as possible.2  While a week's notice to all recipients might be considerate, these scholars point out that consideration isn't really necessary, and overnight termination would be best.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have examined this recommendation at some length and found benefits of the most profound nature.  However, before discussing these benefits, it's appropriate to dispense with needless concern for those individuals from whom welfare payments are to be withdrawn.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFirst, we need feel no remorse for the plight of those welfare recipients who don't need welfare.  They're all, by definition, capable of supporting themselves by their own abilities, through honest labor.  Those who are willing to do so will earn a living.  Those who are unwilling will starve.  Hopefully they'll do it quietly, somewhere far away.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLikewise, we need feel no remorse for those who really need welfare.  Although they are unable to make an honest living, a promising future awaits them.  Their problem is to survive, and having been abandoned by society, they need feel no reciprocal obligation.  Amidst the wealth around them, to survive they need but steal.  Although this suggestion may draw gasps of horror or dismay from the Bleeding Hearts, Do-Gooders and various other imbeciles, it is a sound concept.  It stems directly from the removal of welfare payments and furthermore, provides the only valid test yet discovered for the real and honest need for welfare support.  That is, those who are caught will be automatically placed in another, less appealing, welfare system:  prison.

Coming Soon:
Part 2:

^ 
Parkinson's Law, C. Northcote Parkinson, 1957
 ^ 
There's never a question of whether or not to initiate a welfare program.  Invariably, some fool has already done so.

Job Dismissal

Constitutional Amendments
Commentary by Don Cormier
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnyone interested in urging the passage of the Liberty Amendment in letters to Congress should refer to H.J. Res 23.  Anyone interested in getting more information can write to:
Liberty Amendment News, P.O. Box 2386, El Cajon, California 92021.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile the proposal as written is valuable, Sam and I feel that the language is imperfect.  For your intellectual stimulation, Sam offers the modified version.
The Liberty Amendment
From The Liberty Amendment News, July 1993, Vol 15, No. 2
"Section 1.  The Government of the United States shall not engage in any business, professional, commercial, financial, or industrial enterprise except as specified in the Constitution. 
"Section 2.  The constitution or laws of any State, or the laws of the United States shall not be subject to the terms of any foreign or domestic agreement which would abrogate this amendment.
"Section 3.  The activities of the United States Government which violate the intent and purposes of this amendment shall, within a period of three years from the date of ratification of this amendment, be liquidated and the properties and facilities affected shall be sold.
"Section 4.  Three years after the ratification of this amendment the sixteenth article of amendments to the Constitution of the United States shall stand repealed and thereafter Congress shall not levy taxes on personal incomes, estates and/or gifts."
Section 1.  The United States shall not engage in any business, professional, commercial, financial, or industrial activity except as specified in this Constitution.  Activities of the United States which violate this prohibition shall be terminated within three years of the date of ratification of this amendment. 
Section 2.  Article VI, Section 2 of this Constitution is hereby repealed.  Hereafter, this Constitution shall be the supreme law of the land, regardless of anything to the contrary:  in the laws of the United States;  in the Constitution or laws of any State or local government;  or in any treaties or agreements made or which shall be made under the authority of the United States, any State, or any local government.
Section 3.  The sixteenth amendment of this Constitution is hereby repealed.  Hereafter, the United States shall not levy taxes on incomes, wages, commercial transactions, property, inventories, estates, births, deaths, or gifts.
Then and Now
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn July 16, 1979, a federal Department of Energy regulation, Emergency Building Temperature Restrictions, was implemented by President Carter.  This regulation required that thermostats in buildings be set so that no room was heated above 65°F nor cooled below 78°F.  The temperatures in all buildings were subject to audit by federal regulatory agencies.  Substantial fines were established for noncompliance.  The regulation also required that the temperature of hot water in restrooms be reduced to 105°F.  Auxiliary heating devices, including portable heaters, were forbidden by law.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI perceived the regulation as legislation issued by the executive branch of government, in violation of Article I of the U.S. Constitution.  On August 2, I objected by mail to President Carter and was informed that the President had acted under the authority of the Energy Policy and Conservation Act, an act of Congress.  That is, the Congress had authorized the violation.  Thereafter, I began to promote a Constitutional amendment:
the Legislative Powers Amendment
Section 1     The Congress shall not delegate legislative powers.
Section 2     Legislative powers previously delegated by the Congress are revoked by the enactment of this amendment.
Section 3     This amendment shall become part of the Constitution upon ratification by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States, as provided in the Constitution.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm no longer particularly interested in amending the U.S. Constitution.  However, for those of you who are, such an amendment remains desirable.  The executive agencies of the U.S. government continue today to issue regulations that have the force of law.

Frontiersman, January, 1994 Page 2 Across the Fear Frontier

ABORTION AND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
by Jim May
"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger;  nor shall any person be subjected for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb;  nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;  nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."
[emphasis added]
Fifth Amendment, U.S. Constitution
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTherefore, no person shall be deprived of life without due process of law.
Person.  "In general usage, a human being (i.e.  natural person)...."
Black's Law Dictionary
Conception.  "The beginning of pregnancy.  As to human beings, the fecundation of the female ovum by the male spermatozoon resulting in human life capable of survival and maturation under normal conditions."
Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere is no mention of age in any legal definition I could find defining a person under the law.  To me, this means that a human being is legally a person under the law from conception through old age and a natural death
Person.  "Unborn child is a 'person' for purpose of remedies given for personal injuries, and child may sue after his birth.  Weaks v. Mounter...."
Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis precedent admits that the unborn child is a person, and was based upon the theory that the unborn child has the right to protection from harm and to apply for redress of personal injuries.
Abortion.  "The knowing destruction of the life of an unborn child or the intentional expulsion or removal of an unborn child from the womb other than for the principal purpose of producing a live birth or removing a dead fetus.  However, prior to approximately the end of the first trimester of pregnancy the attending physician in consultation with his patient is free to determine, without regulation by state, that in his medical judgment the patient's pregnancy should be terminated ...  Roe v.  Wade ...."
Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe exception cited in Black's Law Dictionary specifically states that an abortion may be performed only if, in the physician's medical judgment, it is necessary.
Murder.  "The unlawful killing of a human being by another with malice aforethought, either express or implied.  State v Hutter ....  Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or fetus, with malice aforethought.  Cal. Penal Code, section 187 ..."
Black's Law Dictionary
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhich speaks for itself.
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation;  to be confronted with the witnesses against him;  to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense."
Sixth Amendment, U.S. Constitution
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI interpret this as meaning that an unborn person should have at least the same legal protection as any person accused of a capital crime, even though the unborn person's crime is the crime is being an unwanted child.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI say capital crime because the maximum penalty of a capital crime is to be deprived of life.  Since the unborn person is being compelled to give up his/her life, the very least that society can do for the unwanted child is to make sure that the child is represented by a counsel for his/her defense, and receives the protections the U.S. Constitution.  In my opinion, this means that a jury must decide if the termination of a pregnancy is to be allowed, except in cases of medical emergency.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA mitigating argument is as follows:
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
Thirteenth Amendment, Section 1, U.S. Constitution
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn other words, compelling a woman to carry an unwanted child, without first convicting her of a crime, compels her into involuntary servitude in violation of the Thirteenth Amendment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn my opinion, this section of the thirteenth amendment can be invoked only if involuntary impregnation can be demonstrated.  Otherwise, the woman must be considered a voluntary participant in her own impregnation and must be held responsible for all of the the consequences of her own actions.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs person is not defined as a citizen under any of these provisions, they apply equally to all persons regardless of citizenship as long as they are within the jurisdiction of the United States of America.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn conclusion, unless the constitution is changed and equal protection under the law is repealed, every person's life, from conception through old age and a natural death, is protected under the Fifth and Sixth Amendments of the United States Constitution.  Exceptions should include involuntary impregnation, medical emergency, and a verdict by a jury.
What do you think?
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
What's a neurologist?
— Student
Dear Student
Someone who hasn't been a rologist for very long.
Dear Buck
What do you think of the stock market?
— Investor
Dear Investor
It's a darned good place to end a cattle drive.
Postage to mail this newsletter was provided by
Jim May
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Frontiersman, January, 1994 Page 3 Across the Fear Frontier

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't protected by a formal establishment copyright, so you may copy it if you wish.  In fact, I invite you to do so.  However, please give credit where credit is due.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI solicit letters, articles, and cartoons, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.  Lacking instructions to the contrary, I'll credit the author by name and town (or whatever) of residence.  I try to print exactly what the writer gave me, without any changes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't for sale, but if you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives,or anything that requires me to provide a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.

Produced at Mere Keep

Respond to:
Frontiersman
435 South White Road
San Jose, California  95127

Nation in Distress

Weapon
Frontiersman, January, 1994

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue