15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Frontiersman, February 1994
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief:  A Satirical Essay
by Sam Aurelius Milam III

Part 2:  He Found A Crooked Sixpence
                            Beside a Crooked Stile
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe most obvious advantage to society of the Criminalized Recipients Iconoclastic Manpower1 Exchange (CRIME) is one of cost.  As Criminals,2 these individuals would represent a considerably smaller economic burden to society than they do as welfare recipients, for two reasons.  First, although their per capita productivity and consumption would scarcely change, they would be less numerous, since fewer people will voluntarily become Criminals.  This, however, is of relatively small importance when compared to the second cost advantage of CRIME.  This advantage is that we would no longer need a large inefficient tax supported welfare bureaucracy and we ALREADY HAVE a large inefficient tax supported criminal bureaucracy.  Thus no new costs to society would accrue to offset the benefits achieved.3  This means that CRIME would provide a much needed boost to the economy.  The dollar resources previously earmarked for taxes to support the welfare bureaucracy would instead remain in the hands of consumers, available for the purchase of consumer products.  The resulting consumer demand would stimulate growth throughout the economy, particularly in the capital investment necessary to meet such a groundswell of consumer purchasing.  The new economic vigor created by this growth would provide job opportunities far beyond the needs of those individuals formerly filling the bloated ranks of the welfare bureaucracy, as well as the hoards of welfare recipients who didn't really need it, and easily offset the negative effects created by the new Criminals, who after all, were incapable of doing much anyway.4
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis discussion, even with the aid of footnotes,5 has barely touched the surface of the cost benefits to society that would result from CRIME;  more complete treatments will no doubt be published.  Now, however, I must turn to another benefit of CRIME, a more profound benefit.  That is, the effect of CRIME on the relationship between society at large and the law enforcement sector.

Coming Soon:

Part 3:
        He Caught A Crooked Cat
     Who Caught a Crooked Mouse

^ 
With all due apologies to the ladies, if I said "personpower", the acronym would be "CRIPE", and cripes, who wants CRIPE for an acronym!?! 
 ^ 
In the current context, criminal activity is assumed to be restricted to the various crimes of property acquisition, as opposed to the so-called "violent crimes".  This is a safe assumption, considering the abilities of these particular criminals.
 ^ 
The singular opportunity to completely eliminate a bureaucracy without creating several more to take its place is so unique as to be absolutely unprecedented.  It should be tried for the experimental value alone, even if no other reason existed.
 ^ 
It can be argued that the criminal sector has a beneficial effect on the economy.  That is, theft provides goods to folks who might not otherwise have had them, and when the stolen goods are replaced, the market has been expanded by the amount stolen, increasing sales.  If the victim isn't insured, stupidity is its own reward.  And if the victim is insured, then the victim will be reimbursed, and the insurance company can justify a rate increase.  Everyone benefits.
 ^ 
Thank you.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Webley

ARE WE CITIZENS OR ARE WE SLAVES?
by Jim May
"Such is life in the Land of the Fee and the Home of the Slave."
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was asked, "What is a slave?" during a discussion of the Thirteenth Amendment and I was hard pressed to give a concise answer.  In most societies where individuals may own slaves, slaves are still considered people.  The slave might be leased, bought or sold.  All of the fruits of the slave's labors become the property of his "owner".  This does not prevent the slave from owning property, possessing money, or of exercising other rights allowed people in his condition.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAlternatively, let us consider a state which practices what it forbids it's citizens.  Consider a state where the state owns all property and the inhabitants thereon but tries to preserve the illusions of personal property and personal freedom.  Is the slave any less a slave for being ignorant of his condition?  Consider:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe state can claim a portion, or even all, of a person's income (Sixteenth Amendment, U.S. Constitution).  There is no cap on income tax.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe state can force a person into involuntary servitude (Thirteenth Amendment, U.S. Constitution).  Anyone can be drafted into military service against his will.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe state has ownership of all property (Fifth Amendment, U.S. Constitution).  The test of ownership is
the ability to do whatever you want on your property
the ability to restrict the activities of those using your property
the ability to gain an income from fees, tolls, rents, or other compensation for other's use of your property.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you pay property tax, you are paying rent to the true owner.  If you obey zoning ordinances and apply for building permits, you are obtaining permission from the real owner.  If you can be evicted from your property, it is the true owner evicting you.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe state can compel a person to give up the protections which were supposed to have been provided by the Bill of Rights (Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution {gun control}) (Fifth Amendment, U.S. Constitution {witness against self}).  Anytime you find you are not permitted to possess a gun, think about the constitutionality of the laws that make it illegal.  Whenever you are compelled to take a drug or alcohol test, think about why you are so willing to testify against yourself.  The slave masters, by compelling you to agree to take drug and alcohol tests in order to acquire the privileges necessary to travel in motor vehicles, are coercing you to sign away your constitutionally guaranteed rights (read what you are signing when you apply for a driver's license).  For example, if you apply for a state driver's license, you must sign away the protections of the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution.  Specifically, "No person shall ...  be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself ...".  By signing a form agreeing to give evidence against yourself in the form of a blood, urine, and/or breath test, you are being compelled to give up your rights.  (You may notice that I am repeating myself.  I feel it can not be repeated enough.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn short, everything that is prohibited to the people is being practiced by the state against the people.  Common rights are being legislated into privileges.  Privileges are being licensed.  By applying for the license, you are signing away your rights.  In other words, your right to choose is being legislated away.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThese are but a few examples of the growing encroachment of a bloated bureaucracy which is enlarging itself by feeding upon your personal rights, liberties, and freedoms.  The oligarchy which controls this monster bureaucracy would like to see it get larger and more powerful.  They believe that the more imposing and impressive the bureaucracy, the easier it can control the individual.  Every small encroachment is advertised as being made with the best of intentions and, in order to reduce the resistance against it, may even create the problems that it solves.  Over the years this adds up to big brother telling you what to do and how to do it, all for your own good.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI rest my case.
Please let me know what you think.
Postage to mail this newsletter was provided by Jim May.
Frontiersman, February 1994 Page 2 Across the Fear Frontier

Book Review
Patient Power

by John C. Goodman and Gerald L. Musgrave
Source:  Cato Institute Books

15x5 Page Background GIF Image"In today's bureaucratically dominated health care system, the patient's major role is to sign the forms that authorize one large, impersonal organization to release funds to another.  Government, through Medicare and Medicaid, buys close to half the health care provided in America today.  Most of the other half is paid for by insurance companies, through policies purchased by third parties, because the tax laws encourage people to rely on first-dollar health coverage from their employers.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"When health care appears to be free or very cheap, people buy more than they would if they were paying the full cost.  The resulting casual attitude toward shopping for health care drives up prices, which drives up insurance premiums, which creates hardship for business and those without insurance.  That eventually harms all users of health care, but the process is so circuitous that people fail to see the connection with their buying habits.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Goodman and Musgrave propose to create a cost-conscious private system of competition and innovation.  At the center would be the consumers, whose freedom of choice and responsibility would bring to the medical marketplace the value, innovation, and efficiency found in other markets.  Patient Power demonstrates that market-oriented reform is the only way out of the crisis.  As the comprehensive survey of health care, it is indispensable to understanding this critical issue. Patient Power will be at the core of the debate over the health care crisis and how it evolved."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis book is offered for sale by Cato Institute Books, 942 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94103.  671pp., $16.95 in paperback.

What's a palindrome to a dyslexic?

Your Car:  The American Dream Machine
by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo you finally made that last payment, and the Machine is yours, all yours.  But ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat happens if a cop has it towed away?  You didn't give permission, he just did it.  There are only two possibilities:  either he stole your car, or he didn't steal it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf he stole your Dream Machine, you could have him arrested and recover it.  Obviously, you can't do that.  This demonstrates empirically that he didn't steal it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSince he didn't steal it, that necessarily means that he didn't take it away from the owner.  To do that would be stealing it, and he didn't steal it.  Since he didn't take the car away from the owner, there are (again) only two possibilities.  Either the cop owned the car, or he was acting as an agent for the owner.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the cop owned the car, he'd keep it and use it himself, or sell it.  This isn't what happens.  He turns the car over to someone else.  Clearly, he was only acting for the owner.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWho's the owner?  Well, think about it for a minute.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWho determines what equipment is required on the car, and what insurance it must have?  Who decides what kind of fuel to use in it?  Who determines how fast it's allowed to go?  Who requires that the operator must be licensed before he can use the car, and decides what qualifications are necessary for the license?  Who requires the operator and passengers in the car to wear seat belts?  Who requires that the operator pay an annual fee for the use of the car, and determines how much the fee will be, and will reclaim any car which doesn't display evidence of current payment?  Who?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRight.  The state.  That's who owns the car.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIs this the American Dream or a day-dream?  Instead of dreaming, we ought to wake up.  A day-dream manufactured to government specifications is a nightmare.
Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
Where's the best place to catch fish?
— Ready To Go
Dear Ready To Go
Water.
Frontiersman, February 1994 Page 3 Across the Fear Frontier

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis newsletter isn't protected by a formal establishment copyright, so you may copy it if you wish.  In fact, I invite you to do so.  However, please give credit where credit is due.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI solicit letters, articles, and cartoons, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.  Lacking instructions to the contrary, I'll credit the author by name and town (or whatever) of residence.  I try to print exactly what the writer gave me, without any changes.
This newsletter isn't for sale, but if you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and stamps.  I don't accept checks, money orders, anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives, or anything that requires me to provide a signature to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.

Produced at Mere Keep

Respond to:
Frontiersman
435 South White Road
San Jose, California  95127

Nation in Distress

Weapon
Frontiersman, February 1994

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue