15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, November 2001
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Shameful Surrender
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageToday, using "terrorism" as its excuse, the U. S. government (at all of its various levels) has greatly escalated its policy of stopping and searching Americans without probable cause, based on a universal presumption of guilt.  During the searches, people are compelled to bear the burden of proof of their innocence and to provide information that might be used against them.  During the searches, the government routinely confiscates the personal property of Americans without any compensation whatsoever.  I previously worried about the right to have guns.  Today, the authorities will confiscate even such "weapons" as umbrellas or manicure scissors.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe people who planned the September 11 attacks must be ecstatic at what they have accomplished, and at how easily they have accomplished it.  Sure, they destroyed some buildings and killed some people, but the real casualty was liberty.  The American People who, in the past, have sacrificed themselves by the tens of thousands for the sake of their liberty surrendered that liberty to the U.S. government without even a fight, after a scant few thousand unexpected deaths.  Little remains of liberty in the U.S.A. today beyond the lip-service paid to it by the sanctimonious liars in the government, who promise protection while delivering increased government authority.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAccordingly, Americans have meekly accepted a militaristic form of domestic authority that was, in the past, the hallmark of repressive regimes in foreign lands.  By declaring such searches and seizures to be a defense of liberty, they have made utter fools of themselves.  They should be ashamed of themselves for the insult to the sacrifices of those who died for the cause of liberty in the past.  So long as they squander their liberty seeking security, then they don't deserve either liberty or security.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Last Faint Hope
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor about 40 years now, the U.S. government has pursued a policy of obnoxious Nazi-like "security" checkpoints at the airports.  The hijackings on September 11 clearly demonstrated the worthlessness of those checkpoints.  All of those pointless and repressive checkpoints completely failed to stop the hijackers.  Yet, the efforts of a handful of ordinary people on one airplane completely prevented any harm to the intended target of the hijackers of that particular airplane.  Predictably, the response of the U.S. government is to strengthen the checkpoints, that is, to increase the amount of something that has already been proven to be worthless, while ignoring the demonstrated answer to the problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe answer to the so-called airport "security" problem literally fell out of the Pennsylvania sky for all to see on September 11.  When the passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 were motivated by their understanding of the situation, they proved themselves to be entirely capable of taking the airplane back from the hijackers.  Not only that, they did it after their own government had deprived them of almost all possible means of self-defense.  Left with nothing but "teeth and fingernails" as weapons, they did it anyway.  If they had been properly armed, then they might not have lost the airplane in the first place.  They might not have died retaking it.  Thus, the answer to the so-called airport "security" problem — and to most other security problems — is clearly revealed.  Armed residents in the homes.  Armed diners in the restaurants.  Armed teachers in the schools.  Armed passengers on the airplanes.  Not armed government gestapo thugs, but armed people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageArmed people have always been the real source of security in this country.  If we are to continue to have any security in the future, other than that of well-kept slaves in a police state, then that security will have to come from the people, not from the government.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
November 2001
Page 1 

Seven Ways To Tell the Difference Between the US Government and the Terrorists
Author Unknown.  Forwarded by John;  Scotts Valley, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from extremely wealthy oil family.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from extremely wealthy oil family.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Leader has declared a holy war ('Jihad') against his 'enemies';  believes any nation not with him is against him;  believes god is on his side, and that any means are justified.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Leader has declared a holy war ('Crusade') against his 'enemies';  believes any nation not with him is against him;  believes god is on his side, and that any means are justified.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach hatred, intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-believers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach hatred, intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-believers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair democratic election.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair democratic election.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Kill thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold blooded bombings.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Kills (tens of) thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold blooded bombings.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Operate through clandestine organization (al Qaeda) with agents in many countries;  use bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Operates through clandestine organization (CIA) with agents in many countries;  uses bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerrorists:  Use war as pretext to clamp down on dissent and undermine civil liberties.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUS Government:  Uses war as pretext to clamp down on dissent and undermine civil liberties.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRemember folks — Truth is the first casualty in times of war.  Peace.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Liberty Cinema — Planet of the Apes
Movie Review by Don J. Cormier
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn astronaut, (played by surly Mark Wahlberg), crash-lands on a barbaric planet ruled by humanoid apes, who have enslaved a population of primitive but normal-looking humans.1  The astronaut leads a revolt of the normal humans. Page 2 BoxIn the process, he discovers that the planet's situation is the botched result of genetic engineering, and that the "normals" are the decadent descendants of the race that created the intelligent apes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe film is moderately entertaining on a simple, space opera level.  There's plenty of action in the form of crashes, fights, chases, and battles.  There's also a mysterious trick ending, guaranteed to keep sci-fi fans debating it's meaning for decades.  As is usual in films directed by Tim Burton, the art direction, cinematography, and special effects combine to convey a seamless, dreamlike universe.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHowever, Apes is not just dreamy escapism.  The film is also a bleak satire of racism.  By drawing parallels with the white European treatment of black Africans, the script sharply mocks the cruelty, greed, and vanity of the slavers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe film has an ideological flaw.  On one hand, liberty and justice are preached as values to be pursued.  On the other hand, the film teaches that humanity is inherently corrupt, so that liberty and justice can never be fully achieved.  Such pessimism is a prescription for paralysis.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

^ 
That sounds familier — U.S. gov't and citizens. — editor

November 2001
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe following e-mail message from Australia was forwarded to me by Carolyn. 
— editor
Hi Yanks,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.  It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.  The first year results are now in:  Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, assaults are up 8.6 percent, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!)  In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.  (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)  While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.  There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.  Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns."  You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminting this information.  The Australian experience proves it.  Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.  Take note Americans, before it's to late!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePlease forward to everyone on your email list!  Don't be a member of the silent majority and let the vocal minority let this happen in the U.S.
— Ed Chenel, a police officer in Australia

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWow Sam.  I think this is one of your best issues [October 2001].  Especially your opening article [Holy War is a Contradiction in Terms] that says Bush should practice what he preaches.  I totally agree with you.  Is there a way we can get a copy of the Frontiersman in the hands of the Bush administration?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThanks, and keep up the good work!
— Tom;  Redwood Shores, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePlease feel free to send him a copy.
— editor

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe following message was in response to rumors that the U.S. government knew in advance that the September 11 attacks were going to happen, and intentionally didn't interfere.
— editor
Editor;
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI did some research and discovered that it is typical behavior for the intelligence agency of the government of the USA to ignore intelligence from foreign sources.  The references go back to World War Two where the attack on Pearl Harbor was twice announced by the Chinese intelligence agency after they broke the Japanese encryption.  Personally, I believe the worst.  Then, as now, the intelligence agency of the USA used the attack to get popular support for what would otherwise be an unpopular war instead of preventing the attack from happening in the first place.
— Sir James the Bold

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne of the advantages of being as old as I am is that I remember times when our government withheld information and lied to us to achieve policy aims.  Watergate, the Gulf of Tonkin, Iran-Contra (drugs for arms), WACO, etc. are a few instances of half truths told to us.  So, for me, the proclamations of officials are not enough for me to send my sons to battle ... or promote sending my neighbors' children to do the bleeding and dying.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhoever is responsible for the WTC tragedy, (and the evidence must be more than proclamations from officials) they need to be brought to justice.  Killing innocent people en route to achieving this goal is not justice, but politics that cuts against the very soul of what makes America the greatest country in the world.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt is not only those who will "line up when told where to go" by government officials that defines patriotism.  Dissent is as American as apple pie ... our country was born from it.
— unsigned

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI received the following sage advice on September 25.
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you bought $1000 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.  If you bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel deposit, you would have $79.  My advice to you is to start drinking heavily and recycle.
— Steve;  Fremont, California

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe President has asked that we unite for a common cause.  Since the hard-line Islamic men cannot tolerate female nudity, and consider it a sin to see a woman naked who is not their wife, tonight at 7:00, all women in the United States are asked to strip and run naked through the streets.  This should send all potential terrorists into shock and will assist the authorities with their identification.  The United States appreciates your efforts, and applauds your cooperation.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGod bless America!
— author unknown
Forwarded by Steve;  Fremont, California
At last!  Anti-terrorist measures that I LIKE!
— editor

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
November 2001
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho 83236 

You don't preserve liberty by
"sacrificing" it in the cause of
liberty.  You preserve liberty
by exercising it when the
authorities tell you that it's
time to make sacrifices.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat do you think of Sheep May Safely Graze, by Bach? 
— Music Lover
Dear Music Lover
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell, I've never heard of Bach, don't even know where it is, but I guess it's nice that sheep can graze there.  I'm a cattle man, myself.

Acknowledgments
•     My thanks to The Thought, of Glendale, Arizona and to The Affiliate, of Vankleek Hill, Ontario for printing reviews of the Frontiersman.
•     My thanks to Lady Helen the Gracious, Lady Shirley the Benevolent, Sir James the Bold, Sir John the Generous, and Sir Donald the Elusive for their assistance.

— editor

A Few Funny Church Bloopers
(found in church bulletins)
Original sources unknown.  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous
•     The Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled.  Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
•     Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10.  All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B.S. is done.
•     The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday morning.
•     Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.  Please use the back door.
•     The pastor will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing, "Break Forth Into Joy."

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash and U.S. postage stamps.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  I don't accept anything that will smell bad by the time it arrives or anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

November 2001
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue