15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, February 2003
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLand Mines — After all the talk, nations (including the USA) still use, intend to use, or threaten to use land mines.  Even though some nations (NOT the USA) have signed the treaty to ban them, we all know that war supersedes treaties.  We know that the use of land mines will continue.  We also know that, for decades after the wars have ended, beautiful little children, hard-working farmers, lovely wives, cherished grandparents, pets, farm animals, and so forth, will continue to be mangled or killed by left-over land mines.  If governments are too arrogant to ban the use of land mines, then why not at least design them sensibly?  Why not design them so each land mine has a battery powered enabling switch?  When the battery runs down, the land mine becomes disabled.  You don't even need a treaty.  Any nation could just do it, unilaterally, without sacrificing its "advantage".  Then, the slimy, stinking, filthy warmongers could still have their deadly, malicious toys.  They just wouldn't be able to continue, for decades after the conflict, maiming and murdering the children and grandchildren of people who probably didn't give a damn about the stupid, insane war anyway, but who just wanted to live and be left in peace.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDrugs — Here's a suggestion for how to solve the so-called "drug" problem.  Discover alternate substances that give at least as much pleasure as the presently available recreational drugs, and which are harmless and less expensive.  Where are the pharmaceutical companies when we need them?  People will use what they like the best.  If such alternatives were available, then most people would probably choose them instead of the drugs that people presently use.  Sure, it wouldn't end addictions that already exist, but it might prevent new ones.  There will always be the stupid few who use the bad stuff, regardless of the consequences.  So what?  People are killed on vacations, and we don't ban vacations.  At least the odds would be improved.  Consider all the federal funds that have been spent on the draconian and stupid war on drugs.  That abomination might be a dismal but fading memory by now, if similar funding had been dedicated to finding alternate substances.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Remember Susan
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was at a small gathering of acquaintances recently when one of the woman there, Susan, began to rant and rave about a young boy at the school where she works.  The boy had declared that women should stay in the bedroom and in the kitchen, so Susan had immediately marched him to the (female) principle's office, for discipline.  She told us that you just have to expect that sort of thing from a Mexican family.  I said, "We're supposed to respect their customs and beliefs."  Susan said she didn't give a damn.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe next time you hear some feminist whine about intolerance and insensitivity, remember Susan.  Women like her are the best argument in favor of the little boy's point of view.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol

Lookin' for a Home
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI’m still facing a demand that I find someplace else to live.  I’ll need 700 square feet of floor space with bathroom, kitchen, and laundry facilities.  I’ll need the use of a telephone line for internet access.  I can’t pay rent.  I need for somebody to donate the accommodations, so I can continue this important work.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Help me defend liberty.
•  Make and distribute extra copies of the Frontiersman.
•  Publicize Pharos:
http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
•  Shop at Moonlight Sales:
http://www.myplanet.net/moonlightsales/Moonlight_Sales.html
•  Send cash contributions (no checks, please) to Frontiersman, 479 E.  700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236.
•  Seek liberty in your own life.

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
February 2003
Page 1 

Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour Jan. 2003 issue, page 2, discusses a recent ruling of the US Court of Appeals, 9th circuit, on the true meaning of the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnfortunately, the article starts out, "On the California Appeals Court ruling on the 2nd amendment".  It should say "On the 9th circuit ruling".  California, like all states, has its own state court system.  California has superior courts, state courts of appeal, and a state supreme court.  So when someone talks about a "California Appeals Court", one thinks they are talking about the Court of Appeals in the California court system.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo this e-mail is just a quibble about terminology.  The 9th circuit (which had the recent 2nd amendment case) is a federal court, not a California court.  The 9th circuit takes in many western states and meets in many large western cities.  It should never be referred to as a "California" court.
— Richard W.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe United States Supreme Court once ruled Federal income tax unconstitutional.  Income tax was first imposed during the Civil War as a temporary revenue-raising measure.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf it was unconstitutional then, why isn't it still unconstitutional??  Always remember, when the government (any government) uses the word "temporary" it means "permanent."  After the next phony terrorist attack, Bush will "temporarily" suspend the Constitution, until order is restored.  The feds will redefine the word "terrorist" which will include anyone that speaks the truth about the government.  Those concentration camps that the government has been secretly building out west will soon be filled — with you and me.  After all, we will have no Constitution to protect us, it will have been "temporarily" suspended.
— Don G.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe following article was forwarded by Don G.
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrancisco Rivera, 40, and Alfonso Calderón, 34, each spent an ENTIRE YEAR in prison because police found 30 pounds of marijuana inside their SUV at a checkpoint.  Mexican authorities described the marijuana as being old and deteriorating.  This is because it was put there by the previous owner whose SUV was seized by the U.S. Customs Service for marijuana smuggling.  U.S. customs then sold the SUV to the two men at an auction without, apparently, first checking the SUV for hidden drugs.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBill Of Rights — Void Where Prohibited By Law 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey were jailed because, the judge said, they failed to prove their innocence.  Is this how it now works in the United States?  They were released from prison by a federal appeals court in Mexicali.  Neither man had ever been in trouble with the law before.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you buy used cars, you should be concerned, very concerned, that this could happen to you or someone you know.  If you rent hotel rooms, you should be very concerned that they'll find someone else's drugs in the room and they will send you away.  If you go anywhere where people have been, you could be in trouble.  Does anyone else have a problem with this?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey are now suing U.S. Customs for negligence and are happy to be back with their wives and daughters.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSan Diego Union Tribune 11-Jan-03, via aberrant news
(http://thundersnake.com/news.htm)10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe following message from Real News forwarded the accompanying article.
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMean-Spirited Discipline — Our guest columnist is Fred Reed, the politically incorrect analyst who writes the satirical "Fred On Everything" columns for the Washington Times.  Fred tells the unvarnished truth about nearly everything in his funny and abrasive style.  This report is about how feelings of inadequacy, insecurity and fear can instigate meanness and a desire for control.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe article....
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHostility As a Basis For Law, And Vindictiveness For All, By Fred Reed, columnist for The Washington Times 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the Greeley Tribune (Jan. 8) of northern Colorado I see that Mitch Muller, a boy of 13, has been expelled from school for a year.  Yep.  Gone.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou might surmise that he committed some grave crime, that he assaulted a teacher perhaps or was discovered to be selling bulk-lot cocaine.  No.  He played with a small laser pointer — the sort that projects a red dot onto maps during lectures.  It was, said the depressing drones who run the school, a "gun facsimile".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLet us think about it.  To begin, there is no substance to the charge.  A laser pointer does not look like a gun, no more so than a ball-point pen or a lipstick tube.  It isn't a weapon, doesn't look like a weapon, and is not intimidating, being less dangerous than, say, a fist.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFurther, note that we are not confronted by a somewhat overzealous application of a reasonable rule.  If young Muller had disrupted class and
February 2003
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

gotten tossed for a week, that would have been excessive but not absurd.  (Excessive because unnecessary:  When you have a male principal who has not been administratively neutered, he says, "Bobby, stop that.  Now."  That's all he says.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe child was suspended for a year, not for misbehavior but for possession of a legal and harmless object that was determined ex post facto to be gunlike.  You see.  Crimes carry harsh penalties, but you cannot tell what things are crimes until after you have committed them.  That is, the authorities can find you guilty at will, whenever they wish to punish you.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis isn't discipline.  It's sadism — sexless, boring, mean-spirited bureaucratic sadism.  The school's officials are seeking to hurt the child because they enjoy doing it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis Stalinism of the inadequate isn't a fluke.  Across the country, time and again, little boys (always boys) are suspended for pointing chicken fingers and saying "bang", for drawing soldiers or the Trade Centers in flames.  The schools are in the hands of sodden prisses who love revenge, revenge on others for their own mediocrity.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Passive aggression", if memory serves, means an attempt to hurt others while pretending that one's aim is pious.  Passive aggression, and its cousin, misdirected aggression, dominate American culture.  Again and again, bullying is packaged as high principle.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe giveaway of a mean-spirited law is that it doesn't do what it pretends to do, yet makes people unhappy.  Consider the agitations of the rabble opposed to guns.  These vessels of rightness transparently are not concerned to prevent crime with firearms.  You hear nothing from them favoring mandatory heavy sentences for using a gun in a crime.  Nor do they criticize the drug dealer in the ghetto who kills his enemies.  Their efforts are aimed at law-abiding men who own guns.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt is personal hostility disguised as concern with crime.  Similar spuriousness underlies the degrading searches at airports.  The government's policy isn't rational.  If we armed pilots, watched Moslems, and conducted searches, I might believe that security was the motive.  But we don't.  Taking nail clippers is ridiculous, like suspending a kid for having a laser pointer.  The searches seem designed to humiliate.  I have been searched by, among others, Israelis and Japanese.  Neither had people undressing in public, and neither was staffed by hostile minorities getting even.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere is in all of this, in so very much of American life today, a vindictive meanness enwrapped in moral pose — in hate-crime laws, in careers deliberately destroyed over imaginary sexual harassment, people destroyed over any trace of racial incorrectness, fathers prevented from seeing their children by vengeful exes and worse courts.  Why?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'll guess that the cause is a confluence of two social currents.  First, the United States is an angry, divided, unhappy country, twisted by unresolved conflicts that it refuses to face.  Racial tension is ugly, powerful, and a forbidden topic.  Women are grindingly angry at men.  Men, angry at the divorce laws, avoid marriage.  Universal divorce causes deep strains that we don't talk about.  Children raised as half-abandoned mall rats turn into angry young adults.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe recently acquired American habit of distributing choices by race and sex rather than merit rubs people raw.  The decay of the schools into centers of indoctrination angers many.  The inability to escape the filth that flows from Hollyork grates.  Perhaps more so does the inability in a centrally run, not particularly free society to influence one's surroundings, raise one's children in one's values, or escape ever-deepening regulation.  Repressed anger seeks outlets.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe United States is further, I think, a frightened country, or at least an insecure one.  People are afraid of terrorists and crime, but more importantly, are vaguely afraid of a life that isn't satisfactory yet seems uncontrollable by them.  There is a widespread sense that the country is sliding fast toward something undesirable yet hidden in the murk.  Insecurity breeds both meanness and a desire for control.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe feminization of society plays its part.  On average, men prefer freedom to security;  women prefer security to freedom.  Women, having climbed into a male world in which they don't seem comfortable, seek laws, laws, laws to control every cause of angst.  Men, hemmed in, feel trapped.  Much of the tightening control seeks security — helmet laws for kids on bicycles, fear of smoke, seat-belt laws, ever-falling definitions of drunk driving, warning labels stating the universally known, the neurotic fear of laser pointers, the hostility of a female-run school system to competition and rough games beloved by boys.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image©Fred Reed 2002 
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagewww.FredOnEverything.net
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor Politically Incorrect news you aren't supposed to think about, send your friends' email addresses for REAL NEWS from thenewsman@ij.net.  To cancel your free REAL NEWS, click "reply" and type 'stop messages'.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
February 2003
Page 3 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho  83236 

Economic sanctions are
a weapon of mass
destruction.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat do you think about the way the Congress manages to sneak things through by putting riders on a bill?
— Congressional Watchdog
Dear Congressional Watchdog
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe got a guy here named Bill, but don't nobody ride him.  We just ride horses.

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Lady Helen the Gracious, Lady Shirley the Benevolent, Sir James the Bold, Sir John the Generous, Sir Donald the Elusive, The Thought, of Glendale, Arizona, and Frank, of San Jose, California.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpecial thanks again to Lady Helen the Gracious and Sir James the Bold.

— editor

One Blonde With Big Boobs
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Joseph, of Burbank California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePresident Bush and Colin Powell are sitting in a bar.  A guy walks in and asks the barman, "Isn't that Bush and Powell sitting over there?"  The barman says, "Yep, that's them."  So the guy walks over and says, "Wow, this is a real honor.  What are you guys doing in here?"  Bush says, "We're planning WW III".  The guy says, "Really?  What's going to happen?"  Bush says, "Well, we’re going to kill 140 million Iraqis and one blonde with big boobs."  The guy exclaimed, "A blonde with big boobs?  Why kill a blonde with big boobs?"  Bush turns to Powell, punches him on the shoulder and says, "See, smart ass!  I told you no one would worry about the 140 million Iraqis!!!"

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

February 2003
Page 4
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue