15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, March 2003
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
The Preaching and the Teaching
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's a lot of evidence that contradicts the claims made by Christians regarding their agenda of peace, love, and forgiveness.  One small sample from that large body of evidence is a hymn that we regularly sang in the Presbyterian church at Boldtville, Texas, the community where I was raised.  The hymn is Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus.  I've presented the lyrics below.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI see a lot of warlike rhetoric in that hymn.  I see words like soldiers, banners, suffer, victory, army, unnumbered foes, vanquished, trumpet call, obey, mighty conflict, glorious day, serve, courage, danger, oppose, armor, strife, noise of battle, and victor's song.  Each and every word or phrase is glorified as being in the service of Jesus.  Such warlike rhetoric isn't universal in Christian hymns, but neither is it uncommon.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome Christians will try to excuse such inflammatory language in a Christian hymn as being merely figurative.  Nonsense.  Christian brutality throughout the centuries is consistent with such rhetoric.  Examples abound throughout both modern and ancient history.  Not only that, the hymn was sung to and by impressionable young children, when I was a child.  Many of the people who teach such hymns to their children are the same people who whine about violence on television.  It's OK to glorify violence for Jesus but not to use it for profit or entertainment?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFurthermore, if Christians can excuse their own warlike rhetoric as being merely figurative, then so can Muslims.  Do Christians condemn the alleged teaching of such violence and militarism by Muslims?  You bet they do.  Christians would do well to review their own rhetoric and history before they condemn the teachings or behavior of other religions.  The evidence seems to suggest that Christians, given the least excuse, become warmongers for Christ.  By condemning the similar teachings of others, by preaching peace and teaching war, they also become hypocrites for Christ.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is a log in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
— Matthew 7:3-5
Revised Standard Version

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, Ye soldiers of the cross!
Lift high His royal banner, It must not suffer loss:
From victory unto victory, His army shall He lead,
Till every foe is vanquished And Christ is Lord indeed.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, The trumpet call obey;
Forth to the mighty conflict, In this His glorious day:
Ye that are men, now serve Him, Against unnumbered foes;
Your courage rise with danger, And strength to strength oppose.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, Stand in His strength alone;
The arm of flesh will fail you, Ye dare not trust your own:
Put on the gospel armor, And watching unto prayer,
Where duty calls, or danger, Be never wanting there.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, the strife will not be long;
This day, the noise of battle, The next, the victor's song:
To him that overcometh, A crown of life shall be;
He with the King of Glory Shall reign eternally!
— from the Broadman Hymnal
Copyright — 1940, by The Broadman Press 

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
March 2003
Page 1 

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePriorities — The deaths of seven people (who knew the risks and did it anyway) in the recent shuttle crash received thousands of times more news coverage than the deaths of more than 20 people (who had been assured that air transportation is safe) in the commuter jet crash in Charlotte, North Carolina, just a few weeks earlier.  The same day that the shuttle crashed, 40 people were killed in a train wreck in Africa.  The wreck got about eight seconds of news time.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe economic sanctions against Iraq, largely promoted by the U.S. government, have caused the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqi children.  Those sanctions have been, in terms of the deaths of women and children, the worst thing to happen in Iraq since the Mongol invasion.  They far exceed the few thousand deaths attributed to Saddam Hussein's alleged use of poisonous gas.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMore civilians were killed in Afghanistan by U.S. attacks during the recent live-ammo exercises there (AKA War on Terrorism) than died at the World Trade Center.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTragedies — Sure, the World Trade Center attack was a tragedy.  The shuttle crash and the commuter jet crash were tragedies.  So was the train wreck in Africa.  So are the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.  There are more tragedies in the world than people in this country can even imagine — except, maybe, for the native peoples of this continent.  So, let's stop whining like we're the only people in the world who ever suffered losses.  Frankly, I'm sick of it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe World's Only Superbully — I'm also sick of American hypocrisy.  Here's a list, probably not complete, of countries that the U.S. government has bombed since the second world war:  China (1950-53), Korea (1950-53), Guatemala (1954, 1967-69), Indonesia (1958), Cuba (1959-60), the Belgian Congo (1964), Peru (1965), Laos (1964-73), Vietnam (1961-73), Cambodia (1969-70), Grenada (1983), Libya (1986), El Salvador (1980's), Nicaragua (1980's), Panama (1989), Iraq (1991-present), Bosnia (1995), Sudan (1998), Yugoslavia (1999), Yemen (2002), and Afghanistan (1998, 2001).  The so-called terrorists in the world can't even come close to the terrorism that has been committed by the U.S. government.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLessons — For decades, the U.S. government has been doing everything that it possibly can to create enemies.  Now, the people in this country are incensed because one of the little guys dared to take a punch at the bully.  So, what did we expect?  Did we think they'd drop roses on the World Trade Center?  In that regard, someone in a recent e-mail message suggested that the attack on the World Trade Center is viewed by some people as "comeuppance" for Americans.  Comeuppance?  Yes, I think that a good argument can be made in favor of that point of view.  It's all about arrogance, hypocrisy, and the American Way.  The most useful and profound lessons that we might learn about ourselves are those that can be learned by listening carefully to our enemies.  Let's try listening.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Where's Bob?
Original Author Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGeorge Bush visited a school to see if he was still popular among America's youth.  He gave a short speech and then asked some children if they had any questions for him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBob raised his hand and said, "I have three questions for you.  How did you win the election even though you had less votes?  Why do you want to attack Iraq without the backing of the UN?  Do you agree, just like me, that the bombing of Hiroshima was the biggest terrorist action of the last century?"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAt that point the bell rang and all the children ran out of the classroom.  After 5 minutes all the children were back inside and Bush again asked the children if there were any questions they would like to ask.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis time Joe raised his hand and said, "I have five questions.  How did you win the election even though you had less votes?  Why do you want to attack Iraq without the backing of the UN?  Do you agree, just like me, that the bombing of Hiroshima was the biggest terrorist action of the last century?  Why did the bell ring 20 minutes early?  Where's Bob?"10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Rightful Liberty
Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others.  I do not add "within the limits of the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

— Thomas Jefferson

March 2003
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
 frontiersman@ida.net

The License Place Should Say "McVeigh"
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's an idea.  Buy a small flatbed truck.  Make sure it's currently licensed and insured.  Make sure all required equipment is present and functioning.  Make sure the tires are good.  Make sure your driver's license is current.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLoad a half-dozen or so 55-gallon drums onto the back of the truck.  Strap them down securely, so they can't move.  Fill the drums with water.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGet a friend with a video camera to follow you in another vehicle.  Drive downtown and park the truck legally in a designated parking space, near a government building.  Have the friend park nearby, close enough that he can videotape whatever happens but not so close that his behavior will be obvious to the cops.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSit in the cab of the truck and eat your lunch.  If nothing happens after a while, go home and try a different location the next day.  No matter how stupid the cops might be, they'll eventually notice that you're parked near a government building in a truck filled with 55-gallon drums of — something.  Eventually, they'll act.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen the SWAT thug orders you out of the truck, act puzzled and get out.  When he demands to know what's in the drums, act puzzled and tell him it's water.  When he orders you to explain why you're carrying all that water, act puzzled and tell him you're worried about the drought, and you want to make sure you don't run out of water.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt isn't illegal to own a legally registered and insured truck.  It isn't illegal to legally park it in a designated parking space.  It isn't illegal to transport 55-gallon drums.  Water isn't a prohibited substance.  Eventually they'll have to let you go.  The longer they take, the more of their time you can waste.  Just act puzzled.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter they let you go, get in your truck, drive downtown, and legally park it in a designated parking space near a government building.  They'll have to go through the whole process again.  They have to.  They don't dare not do it.  As soon as they stop checking you, that's when you just might show up with something besides water.  You can force them to do it over and over again.  Hundreds of times.  There's no limit to the amount of police manpower and resources that you can force them to waste on you.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Help Wanted
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI still don't have someplace else to live.  I need at least 700 square feet with bathroom, kitchen, and laundry facilities.  I need the use of a telephone line for internet access.  I can't pay rent.  I need donated space, so I can continue trying to restore liberty on this continent.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Help me defend liberty.
•  Make and distribute extra copies of the Frontiersman.
•  Publicize Pharos:
http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
•  Shop at Moonlight Sales:
http://www.myplanet.net/moonlightsales/Moonlight_Sales.html
•  Send cash contributions (no checks, please) to Frontiersman, 479 E.  700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236.
•  Seek liberty in your own life.

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou have been sending me "Frontiersman" which I appreciate.  I have been meaning to write you for sometime & the time has come.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI do not wish to receive any more issues of "Frontiersman".  Some of the information is good, but it's filled with hate for women!  This doesn't change, issue after issue.  You are a true "woman-hater"!  It's a paradox how you can critisize the government for oppressing you & yet you are, or would be, the biggest oppressor of the female sex ever!  I have never heard of, or encountered such a male-chauvinistic pig in all my 61 years!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's easy to see why you are divorced & no contact with your children.  It's interesting how you expect others to donate a living & a place to live to you & yet you refuse to take care of a wife or pay support to a child that you brought into the world!  You seem to think men should just sleep around with anyone they can find, any time they can, & then abandon any children they produce.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnfortunately, our government leadership is filled with men like you, that's the problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePlease send me no more literature of any kind.  Thank you!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely, Mary Powell, 83 North 300 West, Vernal, Utah   84078
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSadly typical.  Her only possible responses to male opinion are lies, distortions, character assassination, and hissy fits.

— editor

March 2003
Page 3 

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageVery good newsletter [February], as usual.  Don G made a comment about the unconstitutionality of the income tax [Letters to the Editor].  The 16th amendment was supposed to circumvent the former supreme court's decision.  You might refer him to your essay.
— Sir Donald the Elusive
I don't remember writing an essay on the Sixteenth Amendment.  Did I?
— editor

Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image...  Thanks for your last newsltrs, both excellent, as always.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs to STRAY THOUGHTS, at the end, remember the fed/government MUST waste trillions of $, continuously and increasingly in order to keep the Fed Fraud alive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFred Reed's article [page 2] was just great.  That factual situation is magnified about 50 times inside the prisons.  He hit it right on the head, since America now is essentially one big prison.  So many brain deads are not told that, so they just assume it is not so ....
— Anonymous

Anti-Capital Punishment Advocates Showing Up At Wrong PlaceJim Sullivan
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the minority in the U.S. who oppose capital punishment sincerely wish to change the minds of the majority who favor state execution for 1st degree murder, one particular alternative prison sentence must be enacted in the various states.  'Life without the possibility of parole' has to be put on the books before capital punishment's proponents would even consider letting this form of punishment end.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is a well-known fact.  What isn't known or understood, however, is:  why are anti-capital punishment forces demonstrating at executions?  It's too late then to make a difference.  What this compassionate group of demonstrators should be doing is spending its precious time, money, and effort in lobbying state legislators to put the new prison sentence mentioned above into law in their jurisdictions.  Then, and only then, will anti's have a chance of persuading proponents of capital punishment to change.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven if such legislation is passed, it won't be an easy matter to terminate capital punishment.  Prominent figures in the corrections field believe strongly that to keep order in prison, it's necessary to have the possible punishment of death available.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAlso, capital punishment's demise will require passage by state legislative action.  But politicians and the public will more likely let executions pass into history if there's a strong alternative that can be employed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnti's, therefore, ought to concentrate on encouraging their state representatives and senators to put a bona fide 'life without parole' prison sentence in their penal code.  Judges and juries will then have a viable sentence to mete out, instead of capital punishment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhy, then, aren't anti's already lobbying furiously for this new sentencing option?  Perhaps a few are, but not in any high profile way.  Could it be that most of the anti's believe 'life without parole' is not a fair sentence, either?  That would seem to be the case.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDo such people, who advocate incarceration rather than execution as punishment, feel that a convicted 1st degree murderer, sentenced to life in prison, deserves to get out after doing only a couple of decades, or less?  That he or she probably won't kill again?  That the felon has reformed, become a model prisoner, and now believes in the Creator?  Well, those just aren't sufficient reasons for the capital punishment bunch.  They include large numbers of people across the nation.  And this group still wishes to see convicted murderers get the full punishment coming to them for their crime.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's interesting to note that a state like Michigan, having no death penalty on its statute books, is not clamoring for a 'life without parole' sentence as an alternative to its normal life in prison that may or may not mean 20 years behind bars.  There doesn't appear to be any legislation in that state's hopper, either, for a new sentencing option.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA true believer wanting dramatic change in a cause should be pragmatic and work where he or she can be most effective:  in this case that's at the state house, not the big house.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy observation is that nobody in the various opposing groups of activists really wants to solve the problem being debated.  Instead, everybody just wants his group to dominate the other group.  Solving the problem isn't the objective.  The real objective is to use government to impose one's beliefs on others, who do not share them.  The abortion issue is a good example.
— editor

March 2003
Page 4
 frontiersman@ida.net

I'm Coming Back As A Bear
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by carolync.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn this life I'm a woman.  In my next life, I'd like to come back as a bear.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen you're a bear, you get to hibernate.  You do nothing but sleep for six months.  I could deal with that.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBefore you hibernate, you're supposed to eat yourself stupid.  I could deal with that, too.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen you're a girl bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you're sleeping and wake to partially grown, cute cuddly cubs.  I could definitely deal with that.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you're a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business.  You swat anyone who bothers your cubs.  If your cubs get out of line, you swat them too.  I could deal with that.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you're a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling.  He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Yup ... gonna be a bear."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image(Hah! aS iF i'M nOt NoW...)10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Bush Blames Blizzard On Saddam
Evildoer Drops Two Feet of Snow on Northeast, White House Says 
Andy Borowitz, Sunday, February 16, 2003.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePresident Saddam Hussein of Iraq dropped between one and two feet of snow on the Northeastern United States today, closing airports and creating hazardous driving conditions, President George W. Bush revealed.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"To those in the world who say that Mr. Saddam Hussein poses no threat, I'd ask you to take a look outside your window," President Bush said in a White House press briefing this afternoon.  "It's a freaking mess out there."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile President Bush offered no concrete evidence of a Saddam-snowstorm connection, he said that Secretary of State Colin Powell would be sharing satellite proof in the days ahead of a link between Saddam Hussein, al Qaeda, the blizzard, and the new ABC series entitled "Are You Hot?"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAt the Weather Channel, meteorologists were "taken aback" by Mr. Bush's accusation of a link between Saddam Hussein and the worst blizzard in nearly a decade, calling any such claim "extraordinary."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"It would be possible but highly unlikely for any head of state to create a snowstorm of this magnitude," said chief meteorologist Bernard Hogan.  "Our best guess is it's just the weather."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAt the White House, press secretary Ari Fleischer dismissed Mr. Hogan's statement, saying that the Weather Channel "was dominated by French and Belgian intellectuals and appeaseniks."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn other international news, British Prime Minister Tony Blair ignited a new controversy today when he admitted that he had recently taken out an ad in The Evening Standard's personals section.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe ad, paid for with Mr. Blair's own funds, reads, "Lonely British PM seeks anyone in entire country who agrees with him."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
© 2003 Andy Borowitz / BorowitzReport.com
http://www.BorowitzReport.com/
Reprinted With Permission

Freezing the Balls off a Brass Monkey
Author Unknown.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannon.  Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls.  It was necessary to keep a supply near the cannon.  But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck?  The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen.  Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere was only one problem — how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.  The solution was a metal plate called a Monkey with 16 round indentations.  But if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it.  The solution to the rusting problem was to make Brass Monkeys.  Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled.  So, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.  Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd all this time, you thought that was an improper expression, didn't you?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's the problem.  If iron balls will rust to an iron monkey, then why don't the iron balls rust to one another?

— editor

March 2003
Page 5 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho  83236 

USA
The World's Only
Superbully
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat do you think of the fragrance of Chanel #5?

— Just Curious
Dear Just Curious
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy TV don't make no smells.  Anyway, I just watch whatever channel has football.

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Lady Helen the Gracious, Lady Shirley the Benevolent, Sir James the Bold, Sir John the Generous, and Sir Donald the Elusive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpecial thanks again to Lady Helen the Gracious and Sir James the Bold.

— editor

Best Laid Plans
Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Warren, of Pocatello, Idaho.
•     Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn.  Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.
•     Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn't pay enough postage on a letter bomb.  It came back with "return to sender" stamped on it.  Forgetting it was the bomb, he opened it and was blown to bits.

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

March 2003
Page 6
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue