15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, November 2005
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
America's Destiny
C. Victor Gabriel
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnless there are some all-encompassing changes made within the next few years, America is destined for a great fall from power.  Two things are inexorably working to bring about America's ultimate collapse.  The first is an increasingly unmerciful militarism which kills and destroys in a heedless and remorseless fashion.  The second is the corrupt capitalism that causes all morality and integrity to be sacrificed for the sake of the acquisition of wealth and the lust for pleasure.  Indeed, in the final analysis it is the hedonistic pursuit of pleasure that is speeding America toward its doom!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith foreboding, the question must be asked, "Will America be brought down by a country which is even more tyrannical and brutal than the one that is — for the present at least — still one of the freest in existence?" Well, in fact the social condition of America is becoming increasingly characterized by injustice and oppression, by excessive prosperity for the few, gained by ruthlessness and fraud, and by the exploitation of the many.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe imperialistic leaders are becoming arrogant with the assumption that they can run rough-shod and with impunity over any peoples who contest their right to the resources of the earth, and their own aggrandizement.  They are quick to rattle the saber, brandishing WMDs raucously, often lashing out in violent destruction toward any who question their "wisdom".  Well, my friends, much of the rest of humankind is becoming fed up!10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

It's the People
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAmerica's Destiny, above, provides plenty of food for thought.  I've been thinking about the designation "corrupt capitalism".  If Mr. Gabriel intended to distinguish corrupt capitalism from other kinds of capitalism, then I agree with him.  However, many people view the designation as describing capitalism entirely.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCapitalism isn't corrupt.  It's merely a way of organizing transactions.  When it's practiced by good people, then it's a good system.  When it's practiced by bad people, then it's a corrupt system.  In general, any system that's practiced by good people will be a good system. Any system that's practiced by bad people will be a corrupt system.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy father used to tell me that if you could distribute all of the money in the world equally among all of the people in the world, then in 10 years all of the people who have it now would have it again.  The point is that greedy people will try to usurp whatever economic system exists.  Stupid people will let it happen, regardless of the measures that are enacted to prevent it.  However, in spite of the corrupting influences of stupid people and greedy people, capitalism still does a better job of providing goods and services at a tolerable price (just barely, by definition) than any other known economic system.  It also does a better job of moderating the harmful effects of greedy people and stupid people.  Finally, unlike some other economic systems it also provides niches wherein smart people and generous people can manage to survive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe problem isn't capitalism.  The problem is greedy people and stupid people.  Rather than restrict or prohibit an economic system that works better than the others, what we really need to do is to remedy our greed and our stupidity.  If we can successfully do that, then any economic system that we use will be a good one.  If not, then any economic system that we use will be corrupt.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@tomc.org.uk.

November 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@tomc.org.uk
 Also see Pharos at http://tomc.org.uk/Sam_Aurelius_Milam_III/Pharos_Relay/Pharos_Relay.html
              Page 1

Oil Follies
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile I was considering Jim Sullivan's article (Over a Barrel, October 2005, page 3), I got to thinking about some of my own past experiences in oil disposal.  I don't remember how my father disposed of used engine oil when I was a kid.  I don't even remember what I did with it myself while I was in college.  However, by the middle or late 70s recycling was available to people who wanted to do it.  That was back before government interference made recycling so inconvenient that the free recycling movement died a slow and painful death.  This article is about one example of such interference.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack then, cars weren't the technological monstrosities that they are today.  A man could do most of the repairs and maintenance on his own car.  Once, as a family story goes, my grandfather disassembled and repaired the transmission beside the highway.  It seems unlikely, but my Aunt Isabelle says that it's probably a true story.  Her father did that sort of thing.  I needed several tool boxes full of tools to keep my cars going, but at least it was still possible.  People weren't slaves to the government-licensed mechanics then like they are now.  One of the things that I did was change the oil.  By the late 70s, I was taking used engine oil to a local service station for recycling.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm going to digress to the 50s briefly for the benefit of those of you who are too young to remember why they were called service stations.  Today, the "service stations" that I've noticed consist of four rows of fuel pumps, no air pressure hose, no water hose, and a little armored cubical where somebody takes your money.  The fancy ones are bigger and sell gedunk.  Back then, my father used to pull up to the pump at a service station and just sit behind the wheel.  He didn't need to get out of the car.  The service station attendant would come trotting out to the car, ask which kind of fuel my father wanted, and start it pumping.  Then, he'd check the oil and add some if necessary, clean the windshield whether it needed it or not, and check the pressure in the tires.  Air pressure was free if you needed it.  After the fuel was pumped, the attendant would take my father's payment right there at the car window and bring the change back to him.  At most service stations, you could buy things like spark plugs, air filters, and maybe even tires and tubes.  Remember tubes?  At many service stations they'd even install them for you.  Some service stations even did oil changes, grease jobs and overhauls.  They provided service in those days.  That's why they were called service stations.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack to the 70s, and my story.  The man at the local service station was happy to pour my used engine oil into his drum, which was emptied once a week by an oil recycler.  One day, he started charging me to take my oil.  He said that the recycler couldn't make money on oil recycling any more and was charging him to take the oil.  After that, I paid 25¢ per gallon to recycle my used engine oil.  After a while, the price went up to 50¢ per gallon.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEventually, the California legislature (or somebody — does it really matter who?) redefined used engine oil as a hazardous substance.  The claimed reason for the change in classification was to protect the environment by preventing people from dumping oil.  The new classification would force people to handle the used oil more carefully.  What a bunch of nitwits.  We were already recycling oil, those of us who gave a damn.  Anyway, the man at the local service station sadly told me that he couldn't take my oil any more, at any price.  He said that he just couldn't afford to recycle it.  The requirements for handling it had become too onerous.  Puzzled, I asked him what he did with all of the oil that he drained out of engines.  Shamefaced, he shuffled his foot in the dirt and said that he had started putting it in bottles and hiding it in the dumpster.  So, the new classification had redirected his used engine oil from recycling to the dump, where it soaked into the ground.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the new century we've sunk to a new low.  Less than a year ago, I observed one of my neighbors here in Fool's Hollow surreptitiously dumping what looked like used engine oil into the local dry wash.  Eventually, if flows into the ocean.  I wonder what the world is going to be like when the oceans are all covered with oil.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@tomc.org.uk
 Also see Pharos at http://tomc.org.uk/Sam_Aurelius_Milam_III/Pharos_Relay/Pharos_Relay.html
 November 2005

Foolsmobile
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI never cease to be amazed at the idiocy of the people who design cars.  The latest lunacy was revealed in a rental car that Sir James the Bold had for a few days.  I don't remember the brand.  Let's just call it a Foolsmobile.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSir James pointed out to me that although the car had four doors, only the driver's door (believe it or not) had a keyhole.  There didn't seem to be any sort of remote electronic locking system so it was impossible to unlock the car from any door except the driver's door.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI suppose that the nitwits who designed the thing never thought that somebody might block the driver's door in a grocery store parking lot.  They should all have to stand for an hour while their ice cream melts, waiting for the idiot who blocked the door to get back and move his car.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI once saw, in a parking lot, a pickup truck with a vicious dog in the back.  The dog tried to attack anybody who got near the truck.  At the time, I speculated that the driver of the adjacent car was going to have to get into his car by way of the passenger's door.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are probably dozens of reasons why somebody might not be able to get into his car by way of the driver's door but might, instead, need to use the passenger's door.  People who are too stupid to recognize that possibility don't have any business designing cars.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOf course, it isn't entirely the fault of the designers.  They wouldn't keep designing rubbish if people didn't keep buying it.  Foolsmobiles are the only thing available?  Who's fault is that?  How many people have refused to buy foolsmobiles and, instead, insisted on keeping their old cars?  Obviously, too few.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was thinking about discontinuing the Frontiersman at the end of this year.  I couldn't see much indication that it was doing any good.  Then I received these two letters.
— editor

Sir Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI know we need new government this one is killing people right in front of you and know one can see it but i can i am one
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe need to stop them how stop voting for them.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI would like more information so i can understand more about this Frontiersman.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis leter will let you know i am interested.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI am [withheld] years old my time is running out and i no it
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut i do have kids and they don't understand so help me.
— an inmate

Dear Frontiersman:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI recently received your September 05 issue from my father AKA [withheld] and I really enjoyed reading the lit.  I was wondering if possible you would put me on your mailing list and if possible send me 5-6 back copies.  My fellow residents — inmates also enjoy it very much we are now understanding the truth.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you.
— an inmate

Sam:
15x5 Page Background GIF Image...  It appears (for now anyway) that my relocation to Jerome may result in an improvement in my over-all income;  thus enabling me to offer more apropos support for the Frontiersman.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAlthough I am not an Anarchist, I do agree with much that you write;  and do want to keep receiving copies.
— CVG;  Jerome, Arizona

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe next three messages were in response to the October issue.
— editor

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageExcellent!  Excellent!
— Sir Donald the Elusive

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageVery interesting.  Thank you Sam.
— Tracy;  Show Low, Arizona

Greetings:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNice article on the doc office.  I recently went to the doc office and did not need an ID nor produce a SSN.  Glad to see you alive and kicking.
Regards, — LB

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNot for Sissies — Liberty requires a full-time, lifelong, unconditional commitment.  If you're not willing to make such a commitment, then liberty isn't for you.  Forget it and just try to make the best of your voluntary condition of servitude.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

November 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@tomc.org.uk
              Page 3

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona   85901 

The legitimate boundaries of lawful
government are not geographical.
They are contractual.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold, SantaClara Bob, Lady Jan the Voluptuous, CVG, of Jerome, Arizona, and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat's your opinion of Roe v Wade?

— Activist
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Dear Activist
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt depends on how far from the shore you're plannin' to do your fishin'.

Headlines for 2029
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
Last remaining Fundamentalist Muslim dies in the American Territory of the Middle East, formerly known as Iran, Afghanistan, Syria and Lebanon.
Iraq still closed off.  Physicists estimate it will take at least 10 more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.
Castro finally dies at age 112.  Cuban cigars can now be imported legally but President Chelsea Clinton has banned all smoking.
George Z. Bush says he will run for President in 2036. Infinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@tomc.org.uk.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@tomc.org.uk
 November 2005

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue