15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, July 2008
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Reality Control
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Party said that Oceania had never been in alliance with Eurasia.  He, Winston Smith, knew that Oceania had been in alliance with Eurasia as short a time as four years ago.  But where did that knowledge exist?  Only in his own consciousness, which in any case must soon be annihilated.  And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth.  "Who controls the past," ran the Party slogan, "controls the future:  who controls the present controls the past."  And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered.  Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting.  It was quite simple.  All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory.  "Reality control," they called it;  In Newspeak, "doublethink."
— from 1984, Section One, Chapter 3
by George Orwell
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's generally accepted that this nation began on July 4, 1776.  It's taught in all of the schools.  It's proclaimed in all of the media.  It's a part of our heritage.  It's also a lie.  There's even a second lie, about which nation is designated in the first lie.  The second lie is that this nation has been here all along.  However, prior to the existence of the present United States of America, there were on this continent two other unions that had the same name.  The second United States of America had a constitution called the Articles of Confederation.  Its form of government was very different from that of the present United States of America.  For example, it didn't have an executive branch.  The point, however, is that the identical names don't mean much.  They only make it easier to perpetuate the lie.  They were entirely different unions.  The first union wasn't even a single nation at all.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe second United States of America began on March 1, 1781, when the Articles of Confederation went into force.  The present United States of America began on March 4, 1789, when the Congress met for the first time under the authority of the present Constitution.  Neither of those dates is July 4, 1776.  Therefore, the Fourth of July doesn't commemorate the beginning of either nation.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf all of the records proclaim that the country began on July 4, 1776 and has been here ever since, and if everyone accepts the lies, then the lies pass into history and become truth.  However, the lies aren't the truth yet.  The U.S. ministry of lies missed one lone copy of one lone book.  That book passed through unknown hands for about 100 years and ended up in mine.  That one lone book defies the lies.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnder the terms of the constitution (art. vii.), its ratification by nine states was sufficient to establish it between the states so ratifying it.  Accordingly, when, on July 2, 1788, the ratification by the ninth state was read to congress1, a committee was appointed to prepare an act for putting the constitution into effect;  and on September 13, 1788—in accordance with the recommendations made by the convention in reporting the constitution—congress appointed days for choosing electors, etc., and resolved that the first Wednesday in March then next (March 4, 1789) should be the time, and the then seat of congress (New York) the place, for commencing government under the new constitution.  Proceedings were had in accordance with these directions, and on March 4, 1789, congress met, but, owing to the want of a quorum, the house did not organize until April 1st, nor the senate until April 6th.  Washington took the oath of office on April 30th.  The constitution became the law of the land on March 4, 1789.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe celebration of the beginning of this nation on July 4 is a lie.  However, Reality Control isn't yet complete.  It hasn't claimed my memory.  The lone copy of Bouvier's Law Dictionary still exists.  When the book is gone, when I'm dead, when my writing has all been dropped into a memory hole, when all of the records are "rectified", and when everyone chooses to forget the truth, then the lie will become the truth.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
The Continental Congress
— editor

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.

July 2008 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

Scratch Tape: Victory at Sea
Reviewed by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCrimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought.  It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity.  But stupidity is not enough.  On the contrary, orthodoxy in the full sense demands a control over one's own mental processes as complete as that of a contortionist over his body.  Oceanic society rests ultimately on the belief that Big Brother is omnipotent and that the Party is infallible.  But since in reality Big Brother is not omnipotent and the Party is not infallible, there is need for an unwearying, moment-to-moment flexibility in the treatment of facts.  The key word here is blackwhite.  Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings.  Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts.  Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this.  But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary.  This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all of the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.
— from 1984, Section Two, Chapter IX
by George Orwell
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack in February of 2008 I had occasion to watch again, after many years, the old documentary series Victory at Sea.  The documentary is presented as being an authentic account of the events of World War II, using actual combat footage.  However, I was surprised at some of the scenes that I saw.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere was a sequence in the episode Sealing the Breach in which a German submarine torpedoed an American cargo ship.  Action inside of the German submarine was shown by what appeared to be authentic German footage, presumably captured after the war.  After the successful torpedo attack, the order was given to prepare to surface.  The intention, as the narrator announced a few moments later, was to fire the deck cannon.  However, the order to prepare to surface wasn't presented by the narrator.  It was presented as though it was a part of the sound-track of the German footage showing activity inside the submarine.  When I saw the scene, I couldn't believe it.  I had to put the DVD into reverse and watch the scene again.  I did so several times before I accepted what I was observing.  Later, while I was writing this article, I still wasn't sure that I'd observed it correctly so I dug out the DVD and played it again.  Believe it or not, the order to prepare to surface was spoken in English.  It wasn't spoken in German with English subtitles.  On authentic, captured German footage of actual events in a German submarine during combat, the order to prepare to surface was spoken in English.  To give credit where credit is due, the voice did have a remotely German accent.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpeaking of torpedoes, there were throughout the documentary, many views of torpedoes being launched from German submarines during attacks on Allied shipping.  The torpedoes were shown leaving the torpedo tubes, viewed from under water outside of the submarines.  The views couldn't have been from hull-mounted cameras because they were taken from 15, or 20, or even 30 feet away, looking back toward the submarine.  Are we expected to believe that the Germans had frogmen with cameras outside of their submarines, paddling frantically to keep up and taking pictures while the submarines were maneuvering into position during surprise attacks on Allied vessels?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTorpedoes provide another opportunity for the viewer to exercise doublethink.  There are many shots of German torpedoes whizzing along just below the surface of the water, filmed from alongside of or just ahead of the torpedoes.  Are we to believe that the Germans had speedboats equipped with cameras pacing their torpedoes during their sneak attacks?  Weren't they afraid that the Americans might wonder what the speedboats were doing?  Then there are the many shots of periscopes traveling through the water.  Maybe the Germans thought that those guys on the ships, the ones using binoculars to search for approaching submarines, wouldn't notice a speeding camera boat.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe phoney footage wasn't presented as being explanatory.  There weren't any disclaimers noting that some scenes were dramatizations or reenactments.  It was all presented unapologetically as authentic footage of actual events.
Arrow
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  July 2008

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut actually, he thought as he readjusted the Ministry of Plenty's figures, it was not even forgery.  It was merely the substitution of one piece of nonsense for another.  Most of the material that you were dealing with had no connection with anything in the real world, not even the kind of connection that is contained in a direct lie.  Statistics were just as much a fantasy in their original version as in their rectified version.  A great deal of the time you were expected to make them up out of your head.  For example, the Ministry of Plenty's forecast had estimated the output of boots for the quarter at a hundred and forty-five million pairs.  The actual output was given as sixty-two millions.  Winston, however, in rewriting the forecast, marked the figure down to fifty-seven millions, so as to allow for the usual claim that the quota had been overfilled.  In any case, sixty-two millions was no nearer the truth than fifty-seven millions, or than a hundred and forty-five millions.  Very likely no boots had been produced at all.  Likelier still, nobody knew how many had been produced, much less cared.  All one knew was the every quarter astronomical numbers of boots were produced on paper, while perhaps half the population of Oceania went barefoot.  And so it was with every class of recorded fact, great or small.  Everything faded away into a shadow-world in which, finally, even the date of the year had become uncertain.
— from 1984, Section One, Chapter IV
by George Orwell
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf all of the records proclaim that, for example, World War II German submarine captains gave orders during combat in slightly accented English, and if everyone believes the lie, then the lie passes into history and becomes truth.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf Reality Control is really that effective, then people might believe anything that the government tells them.  They might believe, for example, that what they saw on the telescreen about the events of September 11, 2001 is truth.  They might even believe that the Pentagon was hit by a Boeing 757 and that the World Trade Center Towers collapsed under their own weight, falling perfectly into their own footprints, without buckling or leaning sideways, merely because they were hit by airplanes.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Heavenly See
Sam Aurelius Milam III
Here's health to you and to our Corps which we are proud to serve. 
In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve. 
If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes, 
they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.
—The third stanza from The Marines' Hymn
Source:  International Lyrics Playground
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat would be the point of having Marines guard the streets in Heaven?  Imagine the scene.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSmoke from the preliminary bombardment drifts across the Heavenly Landscape.  At the Beach, just outside of the Pearly Gates, empty landing craft bob in the waves.  In the distance, troop carriers and cargo ships loom darkly.  Smaller craft are ferrying supplies ashore.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGod watches uncertainly as a group of dirty grunting Marines pushes a U.S. flag upright, atop the Throne.  The flag has a golden fringe.  A Marine film crew has them do it over and over again, trying to film it correctly, so that it will look spontaneous.  Once the standard is upright, the successful Marines support it with salvaged Golden Cobblestones, pilfered from the Golden Streets, to keep it from falling over.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThrongs of cheering Angels line the bombarded Golden Streets, waving tiny U.S. flags.  They're free at last.  Gabriel plays a medley of John Philip Sousa marches on his Horn.  St. Peter sits at a folding table in a field tent and discusses the terms of occupation with the admiral and his staff.  Jesus brings them coffee and donuts.  Satan begins to organize a Secret Underground Resistance Movement.  Cherubim and Seraphim begin the long process of clearing the Golden Rubble that's left over from the bombardment.  Grim faced marines guard the Golden Streets, suspiciously watching all of those Angels.  The Angels whistle innocently, scuff their Golden Slippers in the Dirt, and keep their Hands balled up in their Pockets, hoping to hide the Bulging Purses that are filled with pilfered Golden Cobblestone Fragments.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA 13-hour documentary called Victory At See is filmed in IMAX HD.  The ghost of Richard Rodgers is rounded up to write the score.  The Herald Angels perform the sound track.  The ghost of Leonard Graves does the narration.  The footage of the marines erecting the flag is used for the opening credits.  Work begins on retakes, to replace the combat footage with something that looks more authentic.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNobody questions anything in the documentary.  It's all accepted as The Gospel Truth.  Everybody who watches it is moved to tears.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

July 2008 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

A man who doesn't fear his government is naive.  A man with faith in its inherent benevolence is a fool.
— May 28, 1976
Milam's Notes
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  and Jackson, of Fremont, California.
— editor
Court Quotes
Mary Louise Gilman, from Humor in the Court and More Humor in the Court.  Forwarded by Don G.
Q Now, Mrs. Johnson, how was your first marriage terminated?
A By death.
Q
And by whose death was it terminated?
Q Doctor, did you say he was shot in the woods?
A No, I said he was shot in the lumbar region.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Things About Cops
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
If you've cleared all of the rooms and met no resistance, then you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
Domestic arguments will always migrate from an area with few available weapons (the living room) to an area with many available weapons (the kitchen).
If you've just punched out a handcuffed prisoner for spitting at you, then you're about to become a star on Eyewitness News.
Any suspect with a rifle is a better shot than any cop with a pistol.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Back Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or back issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You can also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash, prepaid telephone cards, or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  July 2008

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue