15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, August 2008
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Train of Thought
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn May of 2008, I was watching an old video recording of Trains Unlimited, a documentary series presented several years earlier by The History Channel.  I was just watching train documentaries and wasn't looking for anything with political significance.  However, things don't always go as planned.  While I was watching the documentary, I encountered this interesting statement in the segment about the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Santa Fe found a group of farmers who were eager to immigrate.  They were Mennonites, a Christian sect who were being persecuted by the Czar in the Ukraine, which was formerly the Soviet Union.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNot only was the grammar sloppy, the Ukraine wasn't the Soviet Union.  It was one of several member states of the Soviet Union.  Worse yet, the narrator wasn't speaking of the Ukraine of today.  He was speaking of the Ukraine of 1869.  In 1869, there hadn't ever been a Soviet Union.  I was surprised at such a statement from a station that bills itself as "The History Channel".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLater, in the segment titled The American Streamliner, I encountered yet another incorrect statement.  That segment included a discussion of the circumstances of the railroads during the years leading up to World War II and shortly thereafter.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen America went off to war, it went via the rails.  Weapons, ammunition, parts, and supplies were all moved by train.  Some 34 million men and women were drafted and whether they were headed for combat or returning on furlough, nearly every one of them went by train.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWomen weren't drafted during World War II and they didn't go into combat.  After observing that error and recalling the earlier one, I began to consider the implications.  Both errors were false statements about the past.  They both had political overtones.  One such error might be irrelevant.  Two of them could be significant.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
— Suzanne Modeski
The X-Files
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI recalled the Ministry of Truth in Orwell's 1984.  It's job had been to "rectify" history, bringing it into conformity with the current political orthodoxy.  One facet of today's political orthodoxy is that women participate in the U.S. military in various combat capacities.  Any other situation would be politically incorrect.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting.  It was quite simple.  All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory.  "Reality control," they called it;  In Newspeak, "doublethink."
— from 1984
by George Orwell
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the government was reluctant to admit that it had ever been incorrect about anything, then it would be convenient to arrange that women had always participated in the U.S military in combat capacities.  If everyone eventually came to believe the lie and if all of the reports told the same lie, then who could prove otherwise?  The lie would have passed into history and become the truth.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe success of such an unlikely scheme can sometimes seem more plausible.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.
— William Ross Wallace
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEarly in July of this year, I noticed the inscription on a T-shirt that was being worn by an 11-year-old boy.  The inscription was, "If I Don't Remember It Then It Didn't Happen".  I mentioned to the boy that the idea was right out of 1984, by George Orwell.  He looked blank.  I asked him if he'd ever read 1984.  He mumbled, "No".  All that's needed is an unending series of victories over one's own memory.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLittle errors such as the ones in Trains Unlimited don't prove the existence in this
Arrow
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.

August 2008 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

country of an actual Ministry of Truth.  However, the slow accumulation of such lies, carefully orchestrated for the sake of political expediency, is a plausible notion.  It would attract little attention and lead to the same result, even without a central agency controlling the process.  Remember that The History Channel, as well as all libraries, universities, book publishers, newspapers, magazines, and broadcast entities operate under the authority of licenses granted by the government.  Licenses can be revoked.  The power to license is the power to control.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe pervasiveness of licensing in this country points to yet another fact that has been lost along the way, and replaced by lies.
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagefascism ...  any system of government in which property is privately owned, but all industry and business is regulated by a strong national government
Thorndike Century Senior Dictionary, 1941
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat simple fact was the truth during the era of World War II.  Nobody remembers it today and the dictionary is getting old.  The lies that have slipped into its place are that fascism was defeated at the end of the war and that the world was made safe for liberty.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf Americans can be made to believe that women were drafted and sent into combat in World War II, if they can be made to believe that the Soviet Union existed prior to 1869, then Reality Control is plausible.  It will then be possible for Americans to believe that terrorism has always been our greatest threat, that we have more liberty in this country than exists anywhere else in the world, that we must sacrifice that liberty to protect it, that our standard of living is continuously rising, that our government is always good and protects us from evil, that our economy can grow forever, that we have an obligation to pay taxes, that the judges are honest, that the regulations are fair, and that the doctors know what's good for us. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWho controls the past, controls the future.  Who controls the present controls the past.  When no written record and no spoken word ever acknowledge a different past than what is recognized by the authorities, when no living human being remembers any other past than that, then the lies will have slipped into history and will have become the truth.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letter to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn regard to your comments about "Victory at Sea" -- You know that I have had a long-time fascination with Eva Peron.  I own three video documentaries purporting to tell her life story.  None of them are uncontestably accurate but all of them are quite careless about matching visuals with spoken commentary.  I know from my research what kind of hairstyle she was wearing at what year, and what some of photo-ops were when she was filmed.  Anyone who saw only ONE of these documentaries might think that they were getting a historically accurate view of certain events described in the commentary, when in fact, they are not.  (Or at least, not always)  In relation to Eva Peron, there's an incident that very much relates to your topic of an oft-repeated lie being accepted as truth.  In October of 1945, Juan Peron was arrested and thrown in prison.  The established labor leaders of Argentina organized a massive strike, which brought thousands of workers to Buenos Aires.  The government, fearing civil war, released Peron, and allowed him to run for the Presidency.  Eva was Juan's mistress at the time, and exactly what she did during the period in which he was in jail is almost anybody's guess.  She may have spoken at some union meetings, but she certainly did not organize the strike, or play any major role.  A few years later, after Peron was elected President, he had a falling out with the union leaders who helped him into office.  To cover up this change, the Peronist propaganda machine exaggerated the role played by Eva Peron, making her out to be this fantastic rabble rouser who almost single handedly brought out "the people" to save her man.  This wonderfully romantic, melodramatic story was picked up by most textbooks and encyclopedias.  It is repeated in the Madonna film "Evita".  The problem is that it really never happened.  Only now is the real story being very slowwwwly disseminated.  After all, who wants to think that their favorite source of information is wrong?
— Sir Donald the Elusive

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  August 2008

Actual Dialog of a Former WordPerfect Customer Support Employee
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by SantaClara Bob
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Ridge Hall computer assistance, may I help you?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"What sort of trouble?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Went away?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"They disappeared."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Hmm.  So what does your screen look like now?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Nothing."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Nothing?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"It's blank.  It won't accept anything when I type."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"How do I tell?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"What's a sea-prompt?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Never mind.  Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"There isn't any cursor.  I told you, it won't accept anything."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"What's a monitor?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.  Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I don't know."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it.  Can you see that?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image......"Yes, I think so."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Great!  Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image......"Yes, it is."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"No."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, there are.  I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image......"Okay, here it is."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I can't reach."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Uh huh.  Well, can you see if it is?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"No."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle.  It's because it's dark."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Dark?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Yes, the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, turn on the office light then."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"I can't."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"No?  Why not?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Because there's a power outage."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"A power...  A power outage?  Aha!  Okay, we've got it licked now.  Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Good!  Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it.  Then take it back to the store you bought it from."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Really?  Is it that bad?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Yes, I'm afraid it is."
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well, all right then, I suppose.  What do I tell them?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Old Timer's Lore
Overheard by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFriends — When people owe you money, they tend to stay away from you.  When you owe people money, they tend to stay close to you.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePiece Negotiation — A man in a bar asked a woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Sure!"  she replied with an enthusiastic smile.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Well," asked the man, "would you sleep with me for $5?"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"What!?!"  exclaimed the woman, insulted.  "What kind of a woman do you think I am!?!"
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"We've already established that," commented the man.  "Now, we're just talking price."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOpportunity — If you catch me talking to myself, then just listen.  I might be saying something important.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

August 2008 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

Government is a good example of man's inhumanity to man.  Religion is another.
— January 6, 1979
Milam's Notes
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  and Dewey and Betty.
— editor
Children's Books Not Recommended by the National Library Association
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
The Boy Who Died from Eating All of His Vegetables
Things Rich Kids Have But You Never Will
Let's Draw Betty and Veronica Naked
The Care Bears Maul Some Campers and are Shot Dead 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Classes for Men
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
Asking for Directions When Lost — Real Life Testimonials
Losing the Remote to Your Significant Other — Helpline Support and Support Groups
Learning How to Find Things, Starting With Looking in the Right Place Instead of Turning the House Upside Down While Screaming — Open Forum
Bringing Her Flowers is Not Harmful to Your Health — Graphics and Audio Tape
It is Possible to Sit Quietly as She Parallel Parks — Driving Simulation 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Back Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or back issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You can also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash, prepaid telephone cards, or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.my3website.net.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  August 2008

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue