Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
LibertaRepubliCrats
Sam Aurelius Milam III5c5 Page Background GIF Imgar
15x5 Page Background GIF Image During the 1970s, while I was still working as a nuclear engineer at the General Electric Company, in San Jose, California, I found a small clique of libertarians who’d formed a discussion group.  It was gratifying to find some people who understood the issues, and I quickly joined the group.  Then, one of our members joined the new Libertarian Party and decided to run for office.  After that, our discussion group disbanded and we became a campaign committee for our candidate.  We all spent our time campaigning.  I walked door-to-door with leaflets.  I manned (sorry ladies, I personed) the libertarian booth at the county fair.  I registered voters.  None of us really expected or even wanted our candidates to get elected.  Our objectives were to educate people and to be a source of ideas for the political mainstream.  After all, we were the Party of Principle.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image It happens, however, that a campaign committee is influenced by different incentives than those that influence a discussion group.  Different incentives attract a different membership and evoke different responses from the old membership.  The transformation of our discussion group was a microcosm of the gradual change in the wider libertarian movement.  Party members became increasingly committed to registering candidates, maintaining ballot status, increasing membership, and protecting the party’s growing vested interest in the electoral process.  Their arguments gradually became apologies for compromise as they joined the struggle to win mainstream voters.  People who called themselves libertarians began to advocate some very statist ideas, such as automatic vehicle identification systems and tax credits for private school participants.  They ranted against licensing and regulation but carried driver’s licenses and drove licensed BMWs.  They objected to big government but worked at Lockheed.  They complained about controlled economies but invested in the stock market.  They talked and argued and debated and analyzed but never actually did anything.  Before my very eyes, the “party of principle” slowly became the “party of principal”.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Over the following years, my resistance against the police state grew, as the Libertarian Party slipped further into the political establishment.  My principles were making my life difficult.  I was forced out of the government’s regulated job market, and had to find other ways to survive.  I rescinded my driver’s license and refused to register my transportation.  Every time that I was out on the road, unlicensed, and in an uninsured and unregistered vehicle, and I saw a cop and started to feel panicky, I got more resentful of the armchair libertarians.  Eventually, I quit driving altogether.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image It eventually became clear to me that the libertarians weren’t even remotely opposing the police state.  They were merely trying to use it’s powers for the sake of their own agendas.  Instead of opposing the police state, they’d become a part of it.10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Additional Reading
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMore Adventures of the Lone Raver
http://pharos.org.uk/Ravings_Essays/More_Adventures/More_Adventures.html
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOutward Bound
http://pharos.org.uk/Adventures_and_Misadventures/Adventures.html#Outward_Bound10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun

Letters to the Editor
Worldometer Population Clock
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
U.S. Census Bureau Population Clock

https://www.census.gov/popclock/world
Typical Population Curve
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.html

Dear Frontiersman;
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The U. S. Libertarian party is in a state of crisis.  By next year at this time, it may be reorganized and doing better things, or it may have crumbled into the dust bin of history.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image This crisis has been coming for a long time.  It could be said that its seeds were present from the foundation of the party.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The party’s ideology has been based on the idea that the state is necessary, but that its only necessary function is the protection of lives and property, and that everything else that is required for society should be pro-
Arrow
August 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

duced by the free market.  Also, this idea has supposedly been safeguarded by the nonaggression principle, meaning that aggressive force is never justified, and that violence is only justified when used defensively.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image At first, it was widely understood in the party that it would not succeed politically, unless a majority of voters were persuaded to accept the basic libertarian ideology.  However, as time passed, the energy devoted to education diminished, and the energy devoted to fund raising, and to the bureaucratic mechanics of maintaining a “legitimate” political party in our biased system, increased.  It was very predictable that with only about 5% of U.S. voters agreeing with libertarian ideas, that Libertarian candidates would rarely if ever win elections.  Somehow, many people who were attracted to the L. P. by the activities of Ron Paul, by the Tea-Partiers, and others such as the techno-utopian “extropians”, and the virtually neo-confederate “paleolibertarians”, came into the party without being fully committed to either minimal government, or the nonaggression principle.  Finally, there emerged the Mises Caucus.  This was named after the famed Austrian-school economist, Ludwig von Mises but it had little to do with his hardline free market theories.  The best way I can describe the Mises Caucus is as Trump Republicans, who took over the party by disguising their basic intent, which was, apparently, to turn the Libertarian Party into an arm of the Trump movement.   They had their moment of glory at the recent Libertarian Party presidential nominating convention, when both Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Donald Trump were permitted to speak to the convention delegates.  Both of them tried to downplay the fact that most of their announced policy ideas were quite authoritarian.  Both of them claimed that, if elected President, they would do things that would please Libertarians.  I am pleased to say that the assembled delegates were not tricked by this blatant opportunism, and they rejected both “mainstream” candidates.  Chase Oliver, a relatively young, intelligent, and well-spoken business man, was selected.  The pro-Trump forces are saying that he was elected because he might draw votes away from Biden, and thereby help Trump win.  To me, that’s the epitome of damning someone with faint praise.  I plan to vote for Mr. Oliver, because I strongly approve of his announced policy plans, but I know that he will almost certainly lose.  That’s the party tradition!
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I think that the L. P. should transform itself into an educational organization.  I think that, if it deals with electoral politics at all, it should restrict itself to infrequently endorsing promising candidates from other parties — or independents.  Some might say that this is a recipe for political impotency but I say that nothing would be more futile and impotent than repeating endlessly the mistakes of the last fifty years.
—Sir Donald the Elusive

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageVoting legitimizes the police state and verifies that the voter has voluntarily submitted to it.  A vote for any candidate, even for a libertarian candidate, is still a vote for the police state.  No matter which candidate wins, the police state wins and the voter loses.  I suggest that prospective voters should study my essays about liberty, sovereignty, and the doctrine of social contract, in Pharos.
—editor

Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Good day, I hope you’re well.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image In reference to your response to my “Letters to the editor” [June, page 3] about your “Little Bang Theory”.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I have read your Cosmology and the Law of Parsimony.  And yes, I know why you wrote the Little Bang Theory.  You and I have spoken about this before.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I also give no credence to the Big Bang Theory.  What I meant by my letter to the editor is by the way you described “Little Bang Theory”, it actually is just as acceptable as any other theory out there.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I don’t know what our genesis is, but I’m pretty sure it involves life on other planets in other galaxies.  And probably by a race or species of something that has been around eons before us.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Earth is probably a big petri dish, and we’re being observed.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Have a good day,
—S. H., a prisoner

15x5 Page Background GIF Image If there are any scientists in the future, and if any of them remember us, then they’ll probably regard us as ignorant beginners for believing in such an absurd thing as the Big Bang Theory.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your petri dish comment reminded me of Theocosm, a little alternate reality item that I published in the July 2015 issue.
—editor

Stray thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The obsessive need to worship a god is a serious flaw in the human species.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image In the United States, people are punished merely for breaking a rule, whether or not any harm was done.  That’s the behavior of a religion or of a police state, and it’s a violation of the principles of liberty.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Legislation doesn’t prevent crimes.  It creates them. 10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 August 2024

Some Thoughts About Government
Taken from Milam’s Notes, available in Pharos.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image When a government becomes so large that individuals can influence it only in large groups, then that government is no longer concerned with individuals.  Its authority might be benevolent, its forms and traditions might be libertarian, but it’s no longer government by the people.
—Thursday, January 3, 1974

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The typical response to any unpleasant circumstance is, “There ought to be a law!”  However, the resulting legislation is more likely to complicate the problem than to solve it and might create new problems in addition to the old one.  Legislation doesn’t solve problems.  Only people can do that.
—Wednesday, July 10, 1974

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Don’t feel sorry for the police.  Their job is supposed to be difficult.  Otherwise, you’re living in a police state.
—Wednesday, August 28, 1974

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Government, like cancer, grows more quickly as the terminal condition approaches.
—Friday, October 25, 1974

15x5 Page Background GIF Image A rule of parasitism is that the host organism must not be burdened beyond its ability to support the parasite, or they both will die.  This rule applies to government as a parasite on society.
—Friday, November 1, 1974

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Attempts to restrict the possession of weapons ignore the fact that anything can be a weapon when armament is a state of mind.
—Friday, August 15, 1975

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The right to armed revolution is one of the people’s most basic rights.  It’s the function for which the ballot substitutes and it’s the final protection against creeping authority.  It’s sufficiently important that its attempted limitation by government is in itself a cause for armed revolt.
—Tuesday, September 16, 1975

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The only difference between taxation and extortion is the excuse for doing it.
—Monday, September 22, 1975

15x5 Page Background GIF Image A man who doesn’t fear his government is naive.  A man with faith in its inherent benevolence is a fool.
—Friday, May 28, 1976

15x5 Page Background GIF Image A slave mentality exists when security is more important than freedom.  Governments encourage this condition.
—Friday, August 27, 1976

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Attempts by government to solve a problem always perpetuate the problem.
—Tuesday, March 22, 1977

15x5 Page Background GIF Image It’s usually easier to deal with obnoxious behavior in someone than it is to tolerate the legislation that would be required to prevent the behavior.
—Monday, October 31, 1977

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Vice squads, narcotics squads, and other such groups are more dangerous than the activities that they pretend to control.
—Thursday, September 28, 1978

15x5 Page Background GIF Image That government is next to best that governs least.  That government is best that governs not at all.
—Tuesday, October 24, 1978

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The usual cures for cancer can also be tried on government.
—Tuesday, October 24, 1978

15x5 Page Background GIF Image If you started eliminating legislation purely at random, then you’d have about a 99% chance of improving things.
—Wednesday, December 13, 1978

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Government is a good example of man’s inhumanity to man.  Religion is another.
—Saturday, January 6, 1979

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Actions of government should be more carefully restricted than those of individuals.
—Friday, February 9, 1979

15x5 Page Background GIF Image If the government taps your phone, then look at the bright side.  At least your opinion will be heard.
—Thursday, June 7, 1979

15x5 Page Background GIF Image For every time that you’re defenseless there will be at least ten times that the police couldn’t have helped anyway.
—Monday, July 9, 1979

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Government is never justified in forcing an answer from a person who doesn’t want to give it.
—Thursday, September 12, 1985

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Any tax supported bureaucracy can generate enough work to sustain itself.
—Thursday, October 3, 1985

15x5 Page Background GIF Image It hasn’t yet been proven possible to eliminate a tax supported bureaucracy except, possibly, by creating several more tax supported bureaucracies to take its place.
—Saturday, October 12, 1985

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The right of society to protect itself is a dangerous fiction promoted by those who seek power and excused by those who are unable or unwilling to protect themselves.  People have rights.  Society doesn’t have rights.
—Wednesday, February 20, 1991

15x5 Page Background GIF Image You know that you’re living in a police state when you realize that you’re more likely to be arrested than you are to be mugged.
—Saturday, July 27, 1996

15x5 Page Background GIF Image An inherent flaw in the practice of representative forms of government is that the people must be content with the election of representatives while having essentially no control over the enactment of legislation.
—undated

August 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
—Mao Tse-Tung
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Seek justice from tyrannical governments not with your hat in your hands but with a rifle in your fist.
—Emiliano Zapata
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... those who carry arms can always determine the fate of the constitution.
—Aristotle

5x5 Page Background GiF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Eric, of Stockton, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Jokes
Original Sources Unknown.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did one wall say to the other wall?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Meet you at the corner!
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did the carpet say to the floor?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Don’t move!  I got you covered!   
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did the big chimney say to the little chimney?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image You’re too small to smoke!
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did the big rose say to the little rose?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Hi, bud!
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did the picture say to the wall?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image First they framed me, then they hung me!
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image How do you tell an elephant from a grape?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Elephants are gray.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Here come the elephants!
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image What did Jane say when she saw the elephants coming?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Here come the grapes!  (She was colorblind.)
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF Image How do you tell an elephant from a grape if you’re colorblind?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF Image Jump up and down on it.  If you don’t get any wine, then it’s an elephant. 10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Availability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on disks are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Cancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Reprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Submissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Payment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Blonde cooks don’t double their recipes because their ovens don’t go up to 800°F.

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 August 2024
15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue