15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, September 2003
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Tough on Crime
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe've just about reached the society that Heinlein described in which "anything not compulsory was forbidden."1  Today, anybody's pet peeve is liable to become a crime.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePart of the problem is the profound and fundamental failure to understand what should properly be a crime.  Properly, a crime should be a violation against the body politic.  Any violation that doesn't directly harm the body politic shouldn't be a crime.  The most that it should be is a cause for civil action.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageConsider murder for example.  It harms people but, except for special cases, it doesn't harm the body politic.  Generally, then, murder should be a civil matter, not a crime.  Indeed, murder is sometimes brought into civil courts.  For example, after the government failed to convict O. J. Simpson in a criminal court, the surviving injured parties won a conviction in a civil court.  If we decriminalized all of those behaviors that harm people but not the body politic, then there would be very few crimes left.  Almost nothing that people do harms the body politic.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThose people who worry about "justice" (revenge) should be reminded that neither a criminal conviction nor a civil conviction will restore a murder victim to life.  Therefore, the punishment could at least be useful to the survivors.  Imprisoning the murderer, or executing him, doesn't help the survivors, except maybe to provide "closure" (revenge).  A money settlement might help them a lot.  So, let's decriminalize all behavior that doesn't harm the body politic, and let the victims or their survivors sue for damages in a civil court.Gun

^ 
from Coventry, in the collection Revolt in 2100, by Robert A. Heinlein, Copyright 1953
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Shape Up or Ship Out
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the April issue of this newsletter, in the article Personally Responsible, I declared that I do not support the U.S. troops in Iraq.  Since then, those troops have provided an unending train of justifications for my position.  They have murdered members of anti-American public demonstrations.  They have killed at least one man, without question or investigation, who appeared to be unloading rifles to sell at a public, open-air market.  They have destroyed civilian vehicles from a distance, claiming that the vehicles were suspected of containing alleged members of the previous civilian government, people who if they were even in the vehicles at all, hadn't yet been tried or convicted of anything.  They have surrounded and murdered the occupants of civilian structures, claiming that the presumed occupants were wanted for questioning, a purpose that dead men cannot satisfy.  They have kicked down the doors of civilian residences at random (that is, based on "tips"), terrorizing Muslim women and killing, insulting, or arresting their husbands and sons.  They have strutted around the country, flaunting their military superiority before the civilian population.  They have failed to provide to civilians the benefits that they promised to provide.  They have failed to prove the allegations by which the destruction and deaths were "justified".  They promised to be gone within months and now threaten to remain for years.  Are there any among you who don't yet understand why I refuse to support them?  Are there any among you who don't yet understand why people in other countries hate Americans?  If the U.S. troops in Iraq can't behave honorably, if their behavior can't be above reproach, then they should simply throw down their weapons and come home.  Desertion is less dishonorable than arrogance, belligerence, and brutality. 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  Cash is preferred.
Checks are accepted only by prior arrangement.  Please inquire.

frontiersman@ida.net Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharos at http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
September 2003
Page 1 

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDiscourtesy — I'm really tired of people who think that everybody has some kind of an obligation to love dogs.  It's extremely discourteous for someone to take his dog with him somewhere and without specific permission turn it loose in somebody else's house.  Not everybody likes dogs.  I, for one, am tired of having the obnoxious mongrels forced on me against my will.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDouble Standard — An alcoholic is someone with a compulsive urge to drink alcoholic beverages.  A pedophile is someone with a compulsive sexual attraction to children.  An alcoholic who abstains is admired.  A pedophile is regarded as the scum of the earth, whether or not he abstains.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDeep and Murky — Complaining about dishonest behavior in today's financial markets is kind of like complaining about filth in a septic tank.  Furthermore, additional regulation doesn't remove the filth.  It just makes the septic tank deeper and murkier.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding ID — Mandatory ID is a tool of fascism.  The government shouldn't require anybody to show ID for anything.  I insist on being presumed innocent.  Thus, I am who I say I am.  I don't need to prove it.  Any government agent who believes that I'm lying about my identity should bear the burden of proof.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding Voting — If a political entity is too large for all of its members to gather in one place and vote by a show of hands, then that political entity is too large to be a democracy.  Democracy is for communities, not for nations.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHomeland Security — a rocket propelled grenade in every closet and a turkey in every pot.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOnly One — Why do the weather men keep talking about "clear skies" and "cloudy skies"?  There's only one sky.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNot Human — A dog isn't a member of the family.  It's an animal, not a person.  Anybody who thinks that an animal has the same status as a human being is delusional, irrational, or maybe just plain stupid.  One last thing on this subject.  I have as much right to my opinion about such a person as the person has to his opinion about dogs.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSexual Predators — Women are every bit as much sexual predators as men.  The women just have a more insidious technique and a superior ability to represent themselves as victims, after the fact.  An associate of mine put it this way.  Women claim that they don't pursue men but, by the same token, a mouse trap doesn't pursue mice.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDelusion — "We're better friends now than when we were married" seems to be a uniquely female delusion.  I've heard women make that particular stupid statement about former husbands, but I've never heard a man make it about a former wife.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis message is, in part, a response to my article "Stay at Home", last month.

— editor
"A recent news report noted that 32 million Americans went to sleep at the wheel during the year prior to the cited survey."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've done that — it's time to wake up when you start dreaming of road accidents.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne time I just pulled over and went to sleep on the highway.  Woke up with a flashlight in my eyes — scared the crap outta me.  The cop says it is dangerous to sleep on the highway.  "It's even more dangerous sleeping while driving" I retorted.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn Hawai'i we have the oldest population (Japanese live the longest world wide) and so plenty of them have heart attacks and brain embolisms while driving then plow into a bus stop or whatever.  Driving is dangerous.  Duh.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI agree with you that the New Jersey lady is trying to outlaw accidents as if sleeping was done on purpose.  Sleeping or "winking too long" is not done on purpose, the legal definition of homicide is intent to kill.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow the United States calculates the unemployment rate at a mere 6% is a counterfeit claim supported by deceiving statistics.  The US government calls the people who ran out of unemployment benefits:  "discouraged people not looking for work," is a tremendous lie.  The unofficial unemployment rate is probably closer to 23% in certain states.  If count the people who work 20 hours a week or less but prefer full-time jobs then the true under employed and unemployed rate may be as high as 45%.
Arrow Right

September 2003
Page 2
Frontiersman, 479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236
Also see Pharosat http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
 frontiersman@ida.net

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the early 1990's the US changed how it measured unemployment by not counting people who ran out of unemployment benefits and called them "discouraged workers."  At that time, I was living in a county in Washington state where the logging industry had a 23% unemployment rate.  That rate dropped to 9.7% in one year due to the new way of calculating.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageStop the shibai!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReturn to more accurate way of calculating unemployment!
— Carolyn;  Hawaii

To Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood luck to you on finding housing.  That's why I moved up here to live....  I could not make it in Calif. any more.  I quote a lot of your articles to people up here, trying to wake them up.  Don't give up — we need you.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTake care,
— Freida;  Fairbanks, Alaska

Dear "Frontiersman" Zinesters
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHello friends!  My name's [withheld], & I'm a [withheld] year old anarcho-punk serving 8 1/2 years for shoplifting a pair of socks (really!).  I'm writing to ask that you please consider hooking me up w/a subscription, which I'd love to use in my quest to educate and uplift my fellow punk & freedom fighters.  Thanks a lot, & please keep up the good work!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn solidarity,
— Name and some other information withheld by the editor, as a precaution
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome inmates have warned me that they can get into serious trouble over being identifiable in this newsletter.  Lacking other instructions, I took  precautions with your identity.
— editor

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that if all the money stolen from the Social Security fund were repaid, even without adjustment for inflation and interest, there would be sufficient money to cover all the expected expenses.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Social Security fund has been systematically plundered of the surplus that was intended to maintain the fund when the "Baby Boomers" reached retirement age.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt should be obvious to anyone that has an interest in Social Security that those people that were supposed to represent our interests not only did not represent our interests, but even went to the extreme of shielding themselves from the looming disaster that they had created by setting up their own very generous retirement funds.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt would only be fair to require any shortfalls in the Social Security fund be taken from the government's retirement fund. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo assure that future abuses become less likely, I would suggest that all government retirement funds be merged with the mandatory Social Security fund.
— Sir James the Bold

Hi Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile watching the news the other day, I observed that some reporter has been calling Iraqis who attack American forces insurgents.  Huh?  Did I miss something?  I guess so.  I thought that a terrorist is a person who uses force or threat of force to enact political change, and an insurgent is a person who takes part in a violent attempt to overthrow a government.  So American troops go kill (use force) people & set up a new government (while overthrowing the old) and accuse the Iraqis (who don't even want us there in the first place) that fight back of being insurgents.  Yep, I definitely missed something.  Now, I don't agree with Saddam's way of running things, and they may even be better off as an American colony, but they aren't.  War for conquest is one thing.  My ancestors did a lot of it, but they called it conquest, not peace keeping, or whatever the new buzzword is.  The fact of the matter is, Iraq is not a state.  It is none of our business. If we want to conquer it, fine, but lets call a spade a spade.
— Brian;  Sterling, Colorado

Greetings Sam:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI hope you weren't disappointed there was an envelope with no donation inside but I am about bankrupt myself and figured I might as well make use of the envelope ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJim Sullivan missed a couple of reasons some Canadians might want to lob a stink bomb over the border.  For one, the U.S. lumber barons via their lackeys in Washington have screwed the lumber industry in this country, big time.  Thousands of jobs lost;  thousands of people out of work, all so rich people in the States can get richer by raising lumber prices.  That one is affecting me directly:  I am not working now in large part because of low prices for wood which is almost entirely attributable to the U.S. government.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThen there is the mad cow business.  One case;  one animal, which may have origi-
Arrow Right

September 2003
Page 3 

nated in the United States, is found with mad cow.  Boom.  It has been long proven that there is no danger in eating Canadian beef.  Yet the border remains closed.  Farmers are going out of business;  losing money hand over fist and workers are being laid off.  And politicians are now even admitting that it has become political.  Quite a lot of people think this is our payment for not joining in the U.S. invasion of Iraq.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGood luck to you.
— Rodney;  Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

The Widow's Copper Coins
Sam Aurelius Milam III
And he called his disciples to him, and said to them, "Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury.  For they all contributed out of their abundance;  but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, her whole living."
— Mark 12:43-44
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI’ve observed that most of the contributions that I receive come from people who don’t have much to give.  I recently received five postage stamps from an inmate who said they were his last five stamps.  If he wants to mail anything else now, he’ll have to save money for more stamps.  However grateful I am for such contributions, they aren’t sufficient for my survival.  If I’m going to survive, or even continue my work, I’m also going to need contributions from those of you who live in abundance.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

In The Beginning
Marko of OTAR
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageImagine a farmer or hunter-gatherer society about 5000 BC or so.  Let's call the village OTAR and the main character Marko.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's night, during the evening feast, which is small due to the recent drought and subsequent poor harvest and sparse wildlife in the area.  Morale in OTAR is low.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn enterprising (and hungry) hunter named Marko has an idea.  He speaks, "Uh, excuse me everyone, uh yeah, can I have your attention please, I have wonderful news, today in my noble search for a beast to feed my starving people, I became weak and fell to the ground, my head dizzy, I received a vision from the creator of all, uh, that is, The Creator of All, the Giver of meat and grain, I was beckoned by the falling sun to climb the hill over the horizon where the Creator Himself spoke, He said my people have been chosen for great prosperity and happiness, to live with Him in His Palace in the Sun, He said that I, Marko, have been chosen to lead the chosen people to the great Palace, He does require but a small sacrifice of you to prove your worthiness of His great Palace, we must sacrifice one piece of meat and one pinch of grain to our great Lord and I, Marko, will personally see to it that He shall receive these un-selfish gifts to secure the fate of my beloved people, I will risk my own life for yours for I am Chosen...."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOkay, I think you can see where I'm going with this.  Now multiply it by a thousand, add stories and rituals, years of modification for the benefit of church officials (direct successors of Marko — sons, brothers, cousins, best buddies, etc.) and we have every major religion of today.  Wake up, people.  Let's think a little for ourselves and take some responsibility for our own behavior.  Which brings me to my last point — personal responsibility.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith the absence of religion there would be no invisible Evil to corrupt you, no Satan to make you do bad things.  So, one would be left with only one's self to blame for making bad decisions, thus encouraging a more responsible and independent society.  The more choices a society offers, the more adept people will become in making responsible choices.  Take the drug issue for example.  Smoke a lot of crack and you might not be as productive at work as you would be with less crack.  You might not even make it to work at all.  With less crack, you might do well enough to afford an apartment and car, attract a mate, and make babies who smoke less crack, and do the same as you did.  Natural selection dictates:  smoke less crack.  So a "natural law" will emerge with more choices.  The personally responsible choices will be rewarded with prosperity and the irresponsible choices rewarded with bad teeth and a "date" in the coin operated video booth at the local adult bookstore, in lieu of an actual relationship.  In conclusion, say "no" to lame religions created by mediocre con men thousands of years ago.  Think for yourself, make wise decisions, smoke less crack, and prosper.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

September 2003
Page 4
 frontiersman@ida.net

Newspeak
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe publishers that print the nation's textbooks must conform to certain guidelines if they expect their books to be purchased by the various school districts.  These guidelines include a growing list of blacklisted words.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe idea behind excluding certain words began in the 1970s in an effort to weed gender and racial bias out of textbooks.  But, as usual, what started out as a good idea2  quickly escalated into a monument of stupidity that now twists the very minds of the young people it is supposed to protect.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFollowing are a few examples provided by Dianne Ravitch who has recently published a book entitled “The Language Police”.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePrimary and secondary education textbooks cannot use words like "heroine" because it is sexist, "old" and "biddy" because they are ageist (I didn't know 'ageist' was a word), "polo" and "yacht" because they are elitist and "hell" because it is just too strong for young minds to be exposed to.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe ridiculousness of this list has become more ridiculous as the years go by.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNow, certain books are excluding words like "blizzard" because it demonstrates regional prejudice, and "owl" because it is culturally insensitive, having an association with death in some cultures.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe efficacy of this push toward cultural sensitivity is obvious.  All one has to do to observe the difference 30 years of verbal indoctrination has made in the school age children of today is talk to them.  I made it a point to interview a sophomore attending Dwight D. Eisenhower High School on the South Side of Chicago.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageChadwick:  Tell me, youngster, do you feel that the verbiage used in your school textbooks has had an overall positive impact on your language skills and development, vis-a-vis your ability to express yourself with cultural sensitivity and without resorting to, what might be considered by others, offensive idioms?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTercel:  Nope.  Ma mutha fuckin’ homies dig ma rap.  Doan need no smack talkin’ cracka bitch English teacha fuckin’ up ma shiznet.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageChadwick:  So, you’re telling me your communication skills are sufficient to interact with your peer group?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTercel:  Straight, B.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell, there you have it.  The unarguable success of the public school system.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
 ^ 
It was a stupid idea.  People should have as much right to be racist or sexist as they have to be anything else.
— editor
Some Rules By Men, for Women
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•     Ask for what you want.  Let us be clear on this one.  Subtle hints do not work!  Strong hints do not work!  Obvious hints do not work!  Just say it!
•     Sunday = sports.  It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides.  Let it be.
•     Shopping is NOT a sport.  And no, we are never going to think of it that way.
•     We don't remember dates.  Mark birthdays and anniversaries on a calendar.  Remind us frequently beforehand.
•     Most guys own three pairs of shoes, at most.  What makes you think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look good with your dress?
•     "Yes" and "No" are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
•     Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it.  That's what we do.  Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.
•     A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem.  See a doctor.
•     If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, then don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Help me restore liberty on this continent.
•  Make and distribute extra copies of the Frontiersman.
•  Publicize Pharos:
http://www.ida.net/users/pharos/
•  Shop at Moonlight Sales:
http://www.myplanet.net/moonlightsales/Moonlight_Sales.html
•  Send contributions to Frontiersman,479 E. 700 N., Firth, Idaho  83236.  Cash is preferred.  Checks are accepted only by prior arrangement.  Please inquire.
•  Seek liberty in your own life.

September 2003
Page 5 

Frontiersman 
479 E.  700 N. 
Firth, Idaho  83236 

Every American
should own at least
one rocket propelled
grenade — and know
how to use it.
Flag

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'd like to get into the stock market.  What do you think I should buy?
— New Investor
Dear New Investor
Holsteins.

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Lady Shirley the Benevolent, Sir James the Bold, Sir John the Generous, Sanazay Bob, Freida, of Fairbanks, Alaska, Brian, of Sterling, Colorado, and the anonymous contributor who saw the newsletter at the Bound Together Anarchist Collective Bookstore/Meetingplace.

— editor

Sixth Grade Test Bloopers
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Reverend W. Dale Blackford, strong4man@earthlink.net
•     In the Olympic games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled biscuits, and threw the java.
•     Johann Bach wrote a great many musical compositions and had a large number of children.  In between he practiced on an old spinster which he kept up in his attic.  Bach died from 1750 to the present.  Bach was the most famous composer in the world and so was Handel.  Handel was half German, half Italian, and half English.  He was very large.
•     Joan of Arc was burnt to a steak and was canonized by Bernard Shaw.

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn’t for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I accept cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  I will accept checks or money orders only by prior arrangement.  Please inquire.  I don’t accept anything that requires me to provide ID or a signature to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I’m sure you get the idea. 
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

September 2003
Page 6
 frontiersman@ida.net

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue