15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, February 2005
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
MPP Report
Rob Kampia, Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTwenty-five-year-old Weldon Angelos celebrated Christmas in federal prison this year ... just like he'll do every year until he's 80.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn November 2004, Angelos was sentenced to 55 years in prison for selling marijuana to undercover police officers.  As U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell pointed out at sentencing, that's more time than he would have received if he had hijacked an airplane (25 years), beaten someone to death in a fight (13 years), or raped a 10-year-old child (11 years).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn fact, the maximum sentence for all those crimes combined is less than the federal mandatory minimum sentence for a drug felony involving a gun.  (Angelos was carrying a gun at the time of his arrest, although he never brandished it or threatened anyone.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe assistant U.S. attorney prosecuting the case justified putting Angelos — a first-time offender and father of two — behind bars for 55 years by saying that he was a "purveyor of poison" who got what he deserved.  (The "poison" was marijuana, which has never killed anyone.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAngelos isn't alone in having his life destroyed by the government's war on marijuana users:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJonathan Magbie died in September 2004 while serving a 10-day sentence for marijuana possession in a jail in Washington, D.C.  Magbie, a 27-year-old quadriplegic, used marijuana to treat his chronic pain.  He was unable to breathe on his own, and the jail — unequipped to meet his medical needs — allowed him to die while in custody.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd in 2003, a 19-year-old Florida college student was brutally raped by his cell mate while serving the first of four weekends in jail for a small scale marijuana offense.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd the year before that, 20-year-old Jose Colon — just months away from being the first in his family to obtain a college degree — was shot and killed by police in a raid in which eight ounces of marijuana were seized.  Colon wasn't even a suspect.  He just happened to be visiting the house being raided, and he had no drugs or weapons on him.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEvery week, we at the Marijuana Policy Project confront extreme government abuses like these, as the war on marijuana users rages on, with the government arresting law-abiding citizens, seizing their property, locking them up for decades, and even killing them.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith the help of our 18,000 dues-paying members, MPP is working to end the persecution and destruction of people like Weldon Angelos, Jonathan Magbie, and millions of others.  You can help us bring sense to our nation's marijuana policies by making a financial contribution to our work at http://www.mpp.org/donate today.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour help is desperately needed.  The government is arresting more than 700,000 marijuana users a year — that's one arrest every 42 seconds — which is more than the number of arrests for robbery and all violent crimes combined.  (And about 88% of all marijuana arrests are for possession, not sale or manufacture.)
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs we enjoy our own freedom, let's remember the many, many victims of the government's war on marijuana users — the cancer patients living in fear of arrest for using marijuana to quell their nausea and help them keep food down ... the college students losing their financial aid for smoking a joint ... the AIDS patients using medical marijuana to ease the pain of their final months, terrified of losing their homes if caught ... and the thousands staring at empty cell walls for doing nothing more harmful than possessing marijuana.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe can and will put an end to this cruel and unjust war.  Please visit http://www.mpp.org/donate to stand with us in the fight.  Please also visit http://www.mpp.org/subscribe to sign up for MPP's free e-mail alerts.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com.

February 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com
 Also see Pharos at http://pharos.websiteallies.com/
 Page 1

Gonna Blow Dis Joint
Fiction by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI wanted to use plastic plants.  They're all over the place, tables in restaurants, doctor's waiting rooms, hotel lobbies, everywhere you look.  Turned out, it ain't that easy to find plastic Marijuana.  Maybe I just didn't know where to look.  Maybe I'm just used to using the real thing.  Anyway, it was easier for me to get the real thing
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSince I was gonna use real plants, I had to build a place for em.  So, I bought some pots, got some potting soil, and set up the lights with timers.  I also built an irrigation system.  None of it was hard to do, just stuff from the local stores.  You buy it a bit at a time nobody thinks twice about it.  I put the irrigation system on a timer, too, since I wasn't plannin on hangin around.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNext, I got a motion detector like they use to turn on front porch lights when somebody walks up the sidewalk.  After that, I decided to get fancy.  I think the results will be worth it.  I rigged a timer so nothin happens for about two minutes after the motion detector goes off.  I figured it ought to take them drug thugs about two minutes to all get inta tha room, as many of em as is comin, and they probably won't start leaving yet, that soon, nozin and pokin into my private stuff.  I want as many of em as possible in there when she goes off.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThen, I got to wondering how long it might be before anybody noticed my little farm.  Wouldn't want the whole thing to fail because the power company nitwits turned off the power so I got one of them stand-by power supplies at a computer store.  After that, I had the place all ready for the plants and the trigger system all hooked up with the wires dangling into the crawl space.  Next, I made the stuff for the big bang.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI won’t tell how I make the stuff.  I got my own recipe and I don't want nobody else to know about it.  I'll just say I made enough to take out half the neighborhood.  Like the govment says, too bad bout them collateral casualties.  Don't want to miss any drug thugs that might stay out at the street.  I thought about putting some in the storm drain at the curb but decided against it.  Couldn't stay outa site while I was doin it.  I put it all in the crawl space, but I didn't connect the wires.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo far, I hadn’t bought anything illegal.  Just normal hardware, some plumbing stuff, some electrical gizmos, and ordinary chemicals.  I'm a real handyman.  Just buy a little here and a little there and nobody puts two and two together.  So, I went and got my plants.  I put em in the potting soil and got em started.  While they was gettin used to their new home I got some material from a fabric store to replace tha window shades.  I wanted it to look like I just got careless about the windows.  The fabric would hide the plants during the day but with my lights on a timer they'd come on from time to time at night.  That material was thin enough that somebody would see my plants through the window at night.  Eventually, somebody would report it or maybe a cop would notice.  It didn't matter.  Them drug thugs would come bashing in, kickin things and shoutin an just begging for somebody to not lay down quick enough to suit em so they could shoot him about 30 times until the threat was terminated.  Yeah.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFinally, I went down and connected the wires.  I checked once more on my plants but I didn't want to stay too long once things was connected.  Naturally, I had a hidden switch at the front door so I could activate the motion detector after I locked the door.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs I got into my Hummer, I was thinking about them drug thugs.  I figured I'd get tha whole gang.  Only problem was it'd be too quick.  Next time I make a dirty trick I'll have to figure out how to make it last longer, make em suffer a little before their lights go out fer keeps.  I got a lot of dirty tricks in mind.  It's gonna be fun.  I gunned my Hummer down the road and laughed for pure joy!  Yaaaahoooo!  The Dirty Trickster rides again!10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 February 2005

Periodical Praise
Jim Sullivan
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen it comes to my lifetime's favorite hangout, the public library, all I hear about these days is that librarians ought to put a V-chip or some similar screening contraption in the library's computers to block kids from seeing things they shouldn't see, like naked men and women.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell, I object, not to the nude folks, mind you, but to the screening devices!  I'm here to say that no one in my hometown public library, which I visited as a kid, stopped me with a V-chip or with anything else electronic, mechanical, or physical from perusing whatever I wanted to in the collection.  That included its vast archive, going back to the early 1920s, of National Geographic Magazine with its easily recognizable glossy, yellow-bordered cover.  All were shelved openly, if remotely, in the back of the library (but within its walls).
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCertainly the librarian, the facility's only staffer, who was in her 80s but with all her mental faculties as sharp as ever, save for slight impairments in sight and hearing, must have known full well what I was looking at so quietly for hours, back there in the dimly lit, narrow aisle also filled with dusty law books.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was getting an eyeful, I'll grant you.  But at the same time, I was getting an education in more ways than one.  Primarily, Africa's, Asia's, Australia's, and the South Sea Islands' past was being revealed to me.  I didn't learn until years later that there was a reputable word for what I was learning — anthropology.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn any case, I concentrated on the magazine's text.  Well — okay, I scanned the captions mostly.  But I poured over those pages, mainly filled with big, black and white photos until I nearly went blind.  That affected my later life in some ways.  Today, for instance, I have to wear glasses.  But I learned a lot about people from other lands and that's made me a tolerant person.  I do, though, have a tendency nowadays to get a wee bit cranky with bigots and censors.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat I am, too, is self-educated.  It's not only in the field mentioned above but also in anatomy, gross and otherwise; geography; cultures of the world and related subjects.  The credit for all that goes to National Geographic Magazine, which I still enjoy.  Today, by the way, I have the good lighting I need to see the magazine pages without straining my eyes.  And I do it (look at the magazine, that is) in a dust-free environment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAdmittedly, reading National Geographic Magazine as a youngster may have inadvertently accelerated the onset of my puberty but no harm came to me as a result.  On the other hand, I did marry rather young — at age 22.  Yet that didn't work out too badly, considering that my missus and I have been wed now for over 40 years.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut the point I want to make is this.  A V-chip might block out some things that parents don’t want their little Tommy’s and Mary’s to see but, in the process, topics to which loving moms and dads would, upon reflection, want their children exposed, if you’ll pardon that term, will also be covered up.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNaturally, I'm not defending hard-core stuff.  That's something else again where children are concerned.  But the only sure way to keep kids from viewing or reading such material anywhere is for a vigilant mother, father, older sibling (not!), or other responsible adult to be there to prevent it from happening in the first place.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne of those individuals should always accompany kids to the public library where ideas, in print, in pictures, and on the internet, possibly ideas contrary to those taught in the family home, are rampant.  That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, for the public library is the area's home for different ideas.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYes, I can safely and proudly, proclaim that the National Geographic Magazine made a man out of me, and an informed one at that.  So, censors, stop badgering librarians!  They're doing their jobs splendidly.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives.
— from If this Goes On-
by Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3

A Creature of Government
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne of the subscribers to this newsletter commented recently that my article about Laura Doyle's book, The Surrendered Wife, didn't have any political relevance.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the USA today, marriage isn't a right.  It's a licensed institution created by government and substantially similar to any other such institution.  Behavior in marriage that is in violation of government rules can be punished by government.  Every product of a marriage whether material, financial, or human (children) is owned and controlled by government and liable to confiscation by government.  Marriage can be terminated only by an act of government (divorce).  All terms and conditions of such termination are specified and supervised by government.  Violations of them can be punished by government.  Clearly, the behavior of the participants in a marriage is every bit as politically relevant as the behavior of any other minions of government in any other regulated institution.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is in reply to my editorial comments in the Letters to the Editor section on page 3 of the December issue.
— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSam, I just read the December Frontiersman:  Thanks for including both of my letters.  My point in asking about the garments of the invasive thugs was that there was a very small chance that the thugs were private criminals, not government agents.  It makes some difference in that a small-scale criminal gang might be easier to bring to justice than a criminal government.
— Sir Donald the Elusive

Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSorry about this minuscule contribution;  Although I am limited to a very low "fixed" income, I will try to make a small contribution from time to time.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI do want to continue receiving the Frontiersman ....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePlease keep the light burning.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRespectfully
— C. V. G.

Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFirst of all, I must confess that my meager resources simply will not permit me to pledge 20.00 per mo ....
— C. V. G.

Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs of Feb 1, I am going to send $10.00 per month.
— C. V. G.

The Frontiersman:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePrimarily because I have decided to launch The Outre Voice, and, because there apparently truths that you refuse to acknowledge, I must rescind my pledge to donate $10.00 per mo.  For an example, you wrote that my statement that:
For several hundred years (at least since the 1600s) many millions of men and women smoked for 60, 70 years and more;  living well into their 80s and 90s (some even beyond 100) and never get cancer;  nor, any “Smoking Related Illness” ...
needs to be "documented".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat truth, however, is, of course, unquestioned by any even reasonably intelligent (or, reasonably honest) person.  If you do not believe this to be so, I would encourage you to visit any government subsidized senior housing complex.  There you will meet some 80 and 90 years olds who have smoked 60, 70 years and more, who are in phenomenally good health.  The, by logical extrapolation, you must conclude that — over a period of some 400 years — their numbers must reach into the millions.
— C. V. G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI was uncomfortable with some claims that he made in an article that he submitted.
— editor

Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere are my thoughts on "A Man's Perspective on the Surrendered Wife" in your January 2005 issue:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen women say things such as they want men to "tell us what they are feeling," one can generally be assured of two things:
15x5 Page Background GIF Image(1)  If any man were foolish enough to do what a woman demanded, i.e., "share his feelings," "be intimate," "communicate," et alia, that very female would immediately reject him for being unmanly.  On top of this, a man who was foolish enough to express his feelings in the workplace or a college campus might immediately find himself the target of a "sexual harassment" lawsuit.  (And I would be interested in hearing from women on this point, why is female behavior directly contrary to their stated demands?)
15x5 Page Background GIF Image(2)  Women themselves feel no compulsion to act according to the very rules they set for men.  Consider how many times you have heard women tell you that they are interested in a man and would like to go out with him.  When you ask them why they do not do the obvious and logical thing, which is take the initiative and tell the
Small Right Arrow

Page 4 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 February 2005

man how they feel, or perhaps even ask him out, the reply is usually a horrified "Oh no, I can't do that, I'm a woman!"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe reality is, of course, that there are plenty of sensitive men who would just love to share their feelings, etc.  But quite frequently they find themselves rejected in toto by women.  Women need to ask themselves why it is they are so attracted to men who are insensitive, who do not communicate, who do not share feelings.  It is a fact that women are attracted to the most aggressive males in our society:  those who, at a minimum, must risk everything from rejection to a "sexual harassment" lawsuit for daring to ask out a female.  And that's just for starters:  women are, generally, attracted to male power, wealth, strength, and status (just as men are attracted to female youth and nubility).  Needless to say, the competitive factors which make a man attractive to women do not encourage "sensitivity."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe are not very different from our savage ancestors of a few thousand years ago.  Women want to mate with the alpha males, the tribal warriors who give them protection, the best chance for survival, and the strongest children ("Honey, did you bring home the mastodon steaks?")  One suspects all this talk about "feelings" and "communications" is a female test for men.  If a man does communicate his feelings to a woman, he has demonstrated that he is not up to alpha male standards and is to be immediately rejected.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNow, I am not going to claim this is so of all women, but the fact is that despite several decades of feminist propaganda, the ancestral mating patterns are still there.  But too many men have been whipsawed by feminist propaganda into believing that men and women are the same, especially when it comes to sex.  This has caused no end to confusion, as well as a plethora of "sexual harassment" and ":date rape" cases.  i.e., men assume that women have come up to male standards on sexual freedom.  But we find that in reality women are still pushing the "weak and helpless victim" routine, especially when it comes to sex.  The fact that otherwise hard-charging female executives can go into mass hysteria over a pinup calendar in an office is evidence of this double standard.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhich brings me to my next point.  What exactly is it that women offer that would make marriage a reasonable proposition for a man?  It seems as if women do everything in their power to keep men from marrying them:  the endless female games such as "play hard to get," female perpetuation of the sexual double standard ("no sex until I get what I want"), the false charges of paternity which have destroyed so many men's lives, the ongoing hysteria over "sexual harassment" and "date/spousal rape."  Perhaps these are more tests to see which men are worthy of a lifetime of supporting a woman?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe have turned a corner in this country where the disadvantages of marriage far outweigh the advantages:  consider alimony, child custody battles (settled in favor of women in the vast majority of cases), the potential loss of one's home and savings in divorce settlements, not to mention legal sanctions without much due process in all of this.  Meanwhile, women are under no obligation to give men any of the things that husbands might once have received from matrimony:  certainly not sex, indeed any pressure in that direction can lead to charges of "spousal rape" being leveled against a man.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt is one of the major ironies of our time that even as women heap more abuse upon men (as "insensitive," "date rapists," "deadbeats," "batterers," "just not getting it," etc.), they are all the more frantic to get married.  But why, given the obvious female antipathy towards men, do women want to get married at all? 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd a related point:  feminists have spent the better part of a generation attacking marriage as the central institution of patriarchal oppression.  But if marriage equals oppression, then (again!) why do women want to get married, and why do they excoriate men who choose to remain single?  These are questions I would like to see women answer.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo what is to be done?  Some in the emerging men's rights movement are recommending a boycott of marriage altogether.  If women have a right to say "no" to sex, then men have the same right to say "no" to marriage.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnyway, I've made my contribution to the war between the sexes at my website, GAMES WOMEN PLAY.  It's at:  http://home.earthlink.net/~jamiranda/GWPindex.html.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'd be interested in what any of your readers have to say.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely,
— Joseph Miranda
jamiranda@earthlink.net

Dear Editor Milam
15x5 Page Background GIF Image.... Thanks for sending me a copy of the current Frontiersman with your book review of Laura Doyle's book, The Surrendered Wife.  I couldn't agree with you more.
— Jim;  South Bend, Indiana

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageToilet Etiquette — Flush twice.  It's a long way to City Hall.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Page 5

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona  85901 

You should always be presumed
innocent — by the IRS, at the
airport, at a roadside sobriety
checkpoint, in a paternity dispute,
at the food bank — everywhere,
without exception.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold, SantaClara Bob, Lady Jan the Voluptuous, C. V. G., of Tonopah, Arizona, Sir Donald the Elusive, Eric, of Soledad, California, and Joseph, of Northridge, California.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe're sending missionaries to countries where they have things like concubines, to end such sinful practices.  Will you support us?

— Sanctified Faithful
Dear Sanctified Faithful
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI couldn't git my wheat harvested without one of them things.  I think you're crazy.

You know you're in California when ....
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
• You have a very strong opinion about where your coffee beans are grown and you can taste the difference between Sumatran and Ethiopian.
• You know which restaurant serves the freshest arugula.
• A really great parking space can totally move you to tears.
• Gas costs $1.00 per gallon more than anywhere else in the U.S.
• Both you AND your dog have therapists.
• You can't remember ... is pot illegal?

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 6 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 February 2005

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue