15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, August 2005
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
The Doctrine of Personal Sovereignty
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe presumption today is that all human beings are inherently subject to the jurisdiction of some government.  However, I believe that every human being is, at least potentially, a free and sovereign individual, equal in status to a government.  Such a free and sovereign individual doesn't have any inherent obligation to any government.  He cannot be legitimately compelled by any court or legislature.  Since his status is equal to that of a government, the only way that a government can legitimately deal with him is through its institutions of diplomacy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA free and sovereign individual is free to enter into any contract and even to voluntarily submit himself to the jurisdiction of a government, if that is his wish.  As a contracting sovereign, he's responsible for disclosure and performance in his contracts.  He can deal honestly with honest parties and seek redress from those who deal dishonestly with him.  He's responsible for the consequences of his behavior and he can expect action against him if he's hostile or dishonest.  He's free to meet force with force and kindness with kindness.  He's free to try to defend himself or anything else or anyone else in whom he has an interest.  He must manage his own survival and well-being.  To successfully coexist with other sovereign governments or other sovereign individuals, his behavior should best be guided by courtesy, humility, and integrity.  Beyond that, the regulation of his behavior by any government is neither necessary, appropriate, nor even tolerable.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's been about 20 years since I began to formally divest myself of obligations to government.  For the most part, I had to invent the process as I went along.  I rescinded my driver's license, canceled my Social Security number, allowed my voter's registration to expire, and canceled or avoided any and every other document or association that might be construed as transferring to me some obligation to government.  Having declared myself to not be a citizen, I am therefore not a citizen.  If citizenship isn't voluntary, then it's identical to slavery.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs I proceeded with my divestment of obligations to government, and as the powers of government grew through the years, my life became increasingly inconvenient.  Today, I cannot own any certificated property, travel on any public transportation, own or operate a business, buy medical insurance, open a bank account, have a job, or do any of the other things that have been restricted to only people who have the government's permission and who can prove it with valid government ID.  That kind of pervasive control of the people, more than anything else, is an indictment of the present government and a validation of my doctrine of personal sovereignty.  That is, a government should never have the power to force an honest, healthy, and competent individual into a position of dependence upon and subservience to its institutions.  It should never have the power to preemptively restrict any honest, healthy, and competent person from consensual participation in any kind of relationship or activity.  Whenever a government is found to have such powers, then that government should be destroyed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe fact is that, today, I couldn't live as a free and sovereign individual without the support of sympathetic family members, friends, and associates.  I've sometimes doubted the advisability of the status that I've achieved.  I've even doubted its viability.  However, I've never regretted having achieved it.  As a consequence of my status, I don't have any obligations whatsoever to any government.  I'm not owned by any government.  I own myself.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

August 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com
 Also see Pharos at http://pharos.websiteallies.com/
 Page 1

Free Enterprise in Amerika
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLord Jeffrey the Studious recently did some research and discovered that, beginning approximately during the 1990's, local governments throughout Amerika have imposed licensing requirements on such things as yard sales and garage sales.  Thus, in this the "land of the free and the home of the brave", supposedly free people don't have a right to sell their own personal property in their own homes to consenting buyers.  Instead, they must first get permission from the government.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOf course, a requirement of permission, however benign it might otherwise be, is nevertheless outrageous and obnoxious in and of itself.  However, Jeffrey discovered that associated with the permission requirement are a whole plethora of various restrictions, regulations, fees, penalties, and so forth.  Local governments regulate when yard sales can be held, how often they can be held, and how long they can last.  They regulate what can and cannot be sold.  They regulate which part of a person's yard may or may not be used to display items and whether or not such items can be displayed inside of a house.  There are restrictions and conditions relating to how many items can be displayed.  Local governments regulate where signs may or may not be posted, how big the signs may or may not be, how many signs can be posted for a yard sale, and (in some cases), the content of the signs.  They also regulate parking at yard sales.  There is a wide range of penalties for disobedience.  Jeffrey found fines ranging up to $600, imprisonment for up to 90 days, and one local government that imposed a 2-year prohibition on further yard sales by violators.  Application fees noted by Jeffrey range from free to $12.  Local governments even claim the power to conduct surprise inspections of the premises of people who are holding yard sales.  The regulations prohibit a person from having a yard sale without a permit and then, in typical Amerikan fashion, require that the applicant "voluntarily" agree to all of the terms and conditions of the permit as a condition of receiving it.  The tyrants want it to be voluntary.  "Voluntary" compliance with repression legitimizes the repression.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe restrictions result from complaints about traffic, noise, and property value reductions that allegedly result from yard sales.  Those complaints are nothing more than a special case of the more general attitude of people who want to impose their attitudes and standards upon their neighbors.  Such whining Amerikans have promoted every possible sort of restriction.  There are even places where you can get ticketed for not mowing your grass1 or because of the color of the paint2 on your house.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe regulation of yard sales is yet another situation in which people are indicted by their own priorities.  The whiners think that their comfort zone legitimately extends into their neighbor's activities.  Traffic, noise, or property value are more important to them than the right of their neighbors to unregulated behavior on their own property.  I say that if people want a quiet environment, then they should go live in the country.  High population density situations are noisy.  If they want assured property values then they should invest in gold instead of a house in a crowded neighborhood.  Bad neighbors don't reduce the value of gold.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'll admit that an obnoxious neighbor can be a serious problem.  I'll even confess that I might not always be able to deal with such a problem.  However, I'll insist that giving the police the power to regulate your neighbor's behavior isn't the way to solve the problem, although it's the conventional Amerikan cop-out.  When you give the police the power to regulate your neighbor's behavior, then you also give them the power to regulate your own behavior.  After all, you're a neighbor, too.  If we're going to retain any liberty at all in this country, then we have to find other, more imaginative ways to deal with things like obnoxious neighbors.  Part of the problem, of course, is that too many Amerikans are just pathetic whiners.  So long as those people pass the buck to authoritarian government and so long as the rest of us sit on our fat backsides and let it happen, then we'll all get exactly the kind of government that we deserve — a repressive police state that regulates each and every aspect of our lives, from the cradle to the grave.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
 ^ 
Nothing In Between, September 2001, page 1
 ^ 
Sad But True, February 1999, page 3

Page 2 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 August 2005

Regarding My Position
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy efforts to restore liberty on this continent are not based upon a probability of success or of failure.  They're based upon the virtue of the principles that guide me.  I would rather fail to achieve a virtuous goal than succeed at achieving an evil one.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf I must continue to pursue my goals alone, then I'll fail.  If enough people join me, then we'll succeed.  I'm already making my maximum effort.  I can't do more than I'm presently doing.  Therefore, my failure or success is out of my hands.  Instead, it depends on you.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEye of the Beholder — Instead of whining about child labor, and trying to prohibit it, let's view it as a possible way to keep kids off the streets and teach them responsibility.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTrinary Code — Computers are programmed using binary code because the tiny switches with which computers compute are switched between two electromagnetic states:  plus and minus, zero and one, on and off, whatever you want to call it.  Why not figure out how to make switches that can be switched between three states:  positive, negative, and neutral.  Then computers could be coded using a trinary code.  Each switch could represent 50% more data.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFalse Economy — Some people buy large economy sizes of food and then throw away the part that spoils before they eat it.  They fail to realize that the price per quantity actually used might be a lot higher than the price per quantity purchased.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuperparanoia — Just because somebody wants to improve the human race, that doesn't make him a Nazi.  Just because the Nazis advocated some such idea, that doesn't make it a bad idea.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDestructive of These Ends — Drug testing reveals a presumption of guilt and imposes a requirement that the person being tested must bear the burden of proof of his innocence and provide information that might be used against him.  How much more un-American does this government have to get before we abolish it?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageStereotypes — Biological differences dictate gender differences.  Gender differences dictate cultural differences.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePC Nonsense — Why is it acceptable to call a Negro "a person of color" but not acceptable to call him "colored"?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTranquillity — Women should be seen, not heard.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBedfellows — In my long and checkered past, I've had a few girlfriends who owned dogs.  One such dog was a bit more dirty than I was willing to accept so I told that particular lady that she could have me in her bed or the dog in her bed, but not both.  She chose the dog.  I never got into her bed again.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen a woman's pets are more important to her than her male companion, then it's time for the male companion to find another woman.  There are lots of women in the world and not all of them own pets.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Letter to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis message is in reply to my article "Doublespeak and Zerothink" on page 1 of the July 2005 issue.

— editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI remember seeing a movie about the SL-1 "accident" when I was in the Navy's Nuclear Power Training program (also in Idaho).  Very interesting.  Of course, if you stick to the pure definitions of the words of their statement, it is indeed true.
— SantaClara Bob
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that the intention of the nuclear industry spokesmen was to deceive people.  The same cavalier attitudes were prominent at every level of management.  As a nuclear engineer, I fought those attitudes and was eventually laid off due to lack of work at a time when excess work was being farmed out to subcontractors.  I believe that, more than anything else, it was the arrogant and condescending attitudes of the people who were running the industry, and their deceitful statements, that enabled the anti-nuclear activists to terminate the deployment of nuclear power facilities in this country.  Today, the country is very much the worse for the loss.  As a nuclear engineer, I feel that I was betrayed by the people who were in charge of the industry.  I have not forgiven them, nor will I ever do so.
— editor

August 2005 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 Page 3

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona   85901 

Equally True Statements:
The value ofpiis exactly 3.0.
The world is flat.
Men and women are equal.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image

Flag

You cannot change the past.  But you can change yourself, and thereby, the future.
— June 13, 1989,  Milam's Notes

Acknowledgments15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold, SantaClara Bob, Lady Jan the Voluptuous, and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou're a very interesting man.  Do you think maybe you could write an autobiography?

— Fan
Dear Fan
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI guess maybe I could but I don't know who to write it about.

Beer Study
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageResults of recent studies suggest the presence of female hormones in beer, prompting scientists to advise men to reconsider their beer consumption.  The concern is that drinking beer turns men into women.  In recent tests, 100 men were fed large quantities of beer over a period of several weeks.  It was observed that the men gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became overly emotional, couldn't drive, failed to think rationally, argued over nothing, and refused to apologize when wrong.  No further tests are planned.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You may also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash, U.S. postage stamps, prepaid telephone cards, and so forth.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.websiteallies.com.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 August 2005

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue