15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, April 2012
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
An Excerpt From Social network analysis
from Surveillance, by Wikipedia
Downloaded Friday, February 3, 2012
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOne common form of surveillance is to create maps of social networks based on data from social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter as well as from traffic analysis information from phone call records such as those in the NSA call database,... and others.  These social network "maps" are then data mined to extract useful information such as personal interests, friendships & affiliations, wants, beliefs, thoughts, and activities....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMany U.S. government agencies such as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the National Security Agency (NSA), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are investing heavily in research involving social network analysis....  The intelligence community believes that the biggest threat to U.S. power comes from decentralized, leaderless, geographically dispersed groups of terrorists, subversives, extremists, and dissidents.  These types of threats are most easily countered by finding important nodes in the network, and removing them.  To do this requires a detailed map of the network....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJason Ethier of Northeastern University, in his study of modern social network analysis, said the following of the Scalable Social Network Analysis Program developed by the Information Awareness Office:

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe purpose of the SSNA algorithms program is to extend techniques of social network analysis to assist with distinguishing potential terrorist cells from legitimate groups of people....  In order to be successful SSNA will require information on the social interactions of the majority of people around the globe.  Since the Defense Department cannot easily distinguish between peaceful citizens and terrorists, it will be necessary for them to gather data on innocent civilians as well as on potential terrorists....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAT&T developed a programming language called "Hancock", which is able to sift through enormous databases of phone call and Internet traffic records, such as the NSA call database, and extract "communities of interest" -- groups of people who call each other regularly, or groups that regularly visit certain sites on the Internet.  AT&T originally built the system to develop "marketing leads",... but the FBI has regularly requested such information from phone companies such as AT&T without a warrant,... and after using the data stores all information received in its own databases, regardless of whether or not the information was ever useful in an investigation....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome people believe that the use of social networking sites is a form of "participatory surveillance", where users of these sites are essentially performing surveillance on themselves, putting detailed personal information on public websites where it can be viewed by corporations and governments....  About 20% of employers have reported using social networking sites to collect personal data on prospective or current employees....10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Shrinking Units of Measure
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuppose that you paid $40,000 for a house, lived in it for 30 years, and then sold it for $90,000.  How wonderful to measure value with shrinking units.  Your house got more valuable.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSuppose that you bought a piece of wood that was eight feet long, used part of it to build a little shelf in your utility room, and discovered that the remaining piece was 20 feet long.  How wonderful to measure length with shrinking units.  Your piece of wood got longer.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe deception that I'm suggesting here is more obvious with a piece of wood than it is with a house.  The remedy to the deception is actually pretty simple.  In that case, why don't the economists understand it?  I believe that they do, at least the smart ones, but that they're deceiving us.  For anyone who wants to understand the remedy, I suggest my essays on money, taxes, and corporations.  They're available on Pharos.  For subscribers who don't have internet access, I can provide printed copies upon request.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.
April 2012 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

Dreamscape:  Memory Loops
Sam Aurelius Milam III
... consider this.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn the morning of Monday, July 11, 2011, I had a dream that contained an idea with such startling implications that I woke up, right out of the dream.  I checked the time.  It was 6:07 AM.  So, if any of you are numerologists, then you can play with the numbers:  6 7 7 11 2011.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe dream was one of the self-contained kind, with all of the information already available in the first scene of the dream.  In the dream, I was working for an espionage group.  I don't know which group it was or why I was working for it.  That wasn't a part of the information that was contained in the first scene.  In that first scene, I was explaining to some people, I don't know who they were, an ability that the psychologists in the espionage group had developed.  It was the consequences of that ability, already contained in the opening scene of the dream, that woke me from the dream.  I'm not trying to claim that the ability or any of its consequences are actually possible in the real mind of a real person.  I'm only reporting what was in the dream.  Of course, I'm also not trying to claim that the ability or any of its consequences are not possible.  I don't know one way or the other.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis first part is difficult to describe.  There is, within a human mind, a reminder function.  You can think of one memory and it will remind you of a different memory.  In my dream, the psychologists had learned how to adjust and control that reminder function.  They could arrange for a memory to be capable of reminding a person of only one specific other memory, and no other.  They could arrange for a memory to be accessible by a reminder from only one other memory, and from no other.  So, you could be reminded of a specified memory by only one other memory and that specified memory could remind you of only the one other memory.  The thing, in the dream, that led to the startling consequences of the ability was that such memories with adjusted reminders could be connected together into a closed loop.  The implications, in the dream, were startling.  Again, I'm not trying to claim either that this is possible in real life or that it isn't possible.  It was just a dream but it's a very interesting idea.  Here's how it worked in the dream.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA person who was aware of sensitive information could be prevented from divulging it by locking every memory of it in his mind into a memory loop.  The information would still be present in his mind but it would be completely inaccessible to the person.  There wouldn't be any other memory in his mind, outside of the loop, that could remind him of the memories inside of the loop.  If the person inadvertently came across something that corresponded to one of the memories in the memory loop, walked through the wrong door and observed a secret experiment for example, that observation, evoking a memory within the memory loop, would activate the loop.  The person's mind would then be completely trapped in the loop.  He wouldn't be able to think of anything outside of the loop.  It seems unlikely that such a thing would actually work but that's the way that it worked in the dream.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA person could be coerced without mentally disabling him by threatening to remind him of something in his memory loop.  A few words, or maybe a certain picture placed where the person would see it, would activate the loop.  It would be an effective way to keep people in a useful mental condition and still under control.  A renegade wouldn't dare to even watch TV or look at a newspaper.  Another tactic would be to abduct someone's friends or family members and create memory loops in their minds.  A person might be willing to cooperate if his kids had memory loops in their heads.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe whole idea might be ridiculous but, as Suzanne Modeski commented in an episode of The X-Files, "No matter how paranoid you are you're not paranoid enough!"  We don't know what the governments can do.  Black Ops research budgets have been in the billions of dollars for decades.  Nobody even bothers, nowadays, to deny MKULTRA.  Some people believe that such research continues even today.  The government never reveals or admits to a program like MKULTRA until the program is obsolete and has been replaced by something more effective.  So, can the government espionage groups create memory loops?  I don't know, but consider this.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn the morning of Monday, July 11, 2011, I had a dream that contained an idea with such startling implications that I woke up, right out of the dream.  I checked the time.  It was 6:07 AM.  So, if any of you are numerologists....10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  April 2012

Letter to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis letter is in response to a letter from a prisoner that appeared on pages 2 and 3 of the February 2012 issue.
—editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRe:  Reprinted ltr of prisoner's postage stamps disappearing:  Since about my first month in prison, in 1983, till the past few months, prison employees have been stealing postage stamps sent to me.  We've even caught them, & of course nothing has been done to them.  Of course this is small potatoes next to my 27 typewriters they've destroyed/stolen/or lost;  6 out of my last 7 new, expensive pairs of shoes;  about 7 watches, about 5 TVs, about 4 or 6 radios/CD/cassette players;  & countless other items, & not to mention over 90 documented times (when I quit keeping a detailed list) of guards looting my property in general, ranging from several hundred bucks to over $200000 worth in one haul (several times) = grand theft.  But nothing was ever done to them, so this is why it continues.  But the biggest haul of all was last year destroying over 30 boxes of my mostly irreplaceable documents, deliberately stolen & destroyed containing 30 years worth of my proof of my innocence which could never be replaced or gotten again, & decades of inventions & music composition by inspiration that I could never conceive or figure out again — just gone like a vapor, like a nocturnal dream — forever gone.  Hundreds of millions of dollars worth, easily.  If anyone wonders how a prisoner has 30 big boxes of such items, its because California has had a practice and policy for decades of relentlessly seizing & stockpiling (impounding) all my generated paperwork (& other items) every few months or less — refusing to let me access it or send it out — even to courts or attorneys;  until they build it up into dozens of boxes full — then destroy it — for infliction of maximum pain on its owner.  The Calif Attorney General not only knows but is deeply involved in this with the guards — as a way of sabotaging our court actions they would lose in the courts.  This snuffs them out before getting them into the courts & destroys all else with the court actions.
—a prisoner
Dear Sam....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGlad the Dirty Trickster returned.... 
—a prisoner
Area 51 and the Dirty Trickster appeared on pages 2 and 3 of the March 2012 issue.
—editor
Greetings Sam....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't think you should ever be embarrassed about typos or other errors [Smitten With Embarrassment Department (Seldom Used), on page 1 of the March 2012 issue.  —editor] in your published writings.  I think it's enough that you strive for perfection in these areas & most else you do and that you succeed at that far above almost all other published works, generally.  Finding errors in your work, by me, is an extremely exceptional rarity.  Finding them in other published works, including the most polished, multi-proofed, magazines, newsletters & NY Times "bestseller" books, is for me the norm & expected commonplace.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe last quip in the latest Frontiersman (about Tesco's Tiramisu dessert):  Doesn't everybody already automatically know that this is to be picked up & held above the head toward the ceiling to read the label on the bottom?  Ahh, compliance with its totally logical instructions are thereby not too late at all...
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis Trickster article was especially fun.
—a prisoner

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•   There isn't any such thing as a victimless crime because, in a so-called victimless crime, the so-called criminal becomes a victim when he's apprehended by the cops, who (of course) are the real criminals.
•   A gilded cage is still a cage.  The bars are pretty but they're still bars.
•   If con is the opposite of pro then congress must be the opposite of progress.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Kids Are Quick
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
Teacher:  Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on talking when people are no longer interested?
Harold:  A teacher!
Teacher:  Millie, give me a sentence starting with I.
Millie:  I is....
Teacher:  No, Millie, always say, ‘I am.’
Millie:  All right, I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

April 2012 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome things cannot be taught, but only learned.
—Tuesday, February 7, 1989
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  Eric, of Ione, California;  and FL, of Repressa, California.
— editor
From the Philosophy of George Carlin
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Lady Jan the Voluptuous.
• Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
• Why do they lock gas station bathrooms?  Are they afraid someone might clean them?
• Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
• If a parsley farmer is sued, then can they garnish his wages?
• What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
• Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do practice?
 [That's why they call you a patient. —editor]
• Is there another word for synonym?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Actual Labels on Consumer Products
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous.
• On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
"Instructions:  Open packet, eat nuts."
• On Sainsbury's peanuts:
"Warning:  contains nuts."
• On a Japanese food processor:
"Not to be used for the other use."
• On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding:
"Product will be hot after heating."
• On packaging for a Rowenta iron:
"Do not iron clothes on body."
• On Boot's Children's Cough Medicine:
"Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication."
• On Nytol Sleep Aid:
"Warning:  May cause drowsiness."
• On most brands of Christmas lights:
"For indoor or outdoor use only."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Past Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or past issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  April 2012

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue