15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, May 2012
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Learning Sovereignty
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSomeone who wants to become a sovereign has a big job ahead of him.  The first problem is that most people don't understand sovereignty very well.  It isn't a new idea but, so far, it's been applied mostly to kings, emperors, pharaohs, and so forth.  Governments would like to perpetuate that notion.  I've developed a different understanding of the concept.  That is, anyone can become a sovereign.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSomeone who wants to become a sovereign must first learn to understand sovereignty.  My essay The Long and Winding Doctrine:  Social Contract is a good place to start.  It's available on Pharos.  More information about personal sovereignty is available in my articles The Doctrine of Personal Sovereignty, on page 1 of the August 2005 issue of this newsletter, and Status, on pages 1 - 3 of the December 2010 issue of this newsletter.  In addition to study, an aspiring sovereign will need to start positioning himself.  That's true because governments today don't recognize sovereignty as a legitimate status for an individual.  Even when they don't view personal sovereignty as criminal behavior, which they usually do, they still place every achievable obstacle in its way.  Anyone who aspires to sovereignty will have to modify his own personal circumstances in such a way as to circumvent those obstacles.  A good example is the so-called driver's license.  See Show And Tell, on page 1 of the August 1998 isue.  Most of the necessary things in life are available nowadays only to people who have a driver's license or some authorized substitute for it.  Such ID can be obtained only by submitting to the jurisdiction of the government, which constitutes an extinguishment of any personal sovereignty that might otherwise have existed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn aspiring sovereign must find other ways to accomplish the things for which a driver's license is a prerequisite so that he can divest himself of the license.  Such positioning isn't optional.  It's a prerequisite to such divestment.  Anybody who rescinds a driver's license "cold turkey" will discover that he can't live without it.  He'll soon be back at the motor vehicle department, begging to get his license back.  My efforts to position myself are a part of the story that's told in my memoir Outward Bound.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMany things besides a driver's license create obligations to government.  An aspiring sovereign must divest himself of such things in the right order because some such things are prerequisites to others.  For example, government ID is a prerequisite to financial investments but financial investments are not a prerequisite to government ID.  So, an aspiring sovereign should get rid of the financial investments first.  I suggested some divestment ideas in my essay Abandonment.  It's available on Pharos.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePersonal sovereignty is a daunting goal.  It shouldn't be attempted lightly.  It isn't for sissies.  I began my pursuit of personal sovereignty back in the 1980s.  Since then, I've come as close to personal sovereignty as it's presently possible for me to get.  Whether or not I can maintain my status for the remainder of my life is a big question.  For example, the U.S. government is in control of access to most non-trivial medical treatment in the USA.  Access to such treatment is restricted to people who have government ID.  To get medical treatment, I'd have to sacrifice my sovereignty.  So, here I am, 65 years old, without an income, without insurance, and without government ID.  When I eventually acquire a malady that requires medical treatment, which seems likely, my choices will be to suffer from it, to die of it, to recover from it on my own, or to sacrifice my sovereignty in exchange for medical treatment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSo far, sovereignty has made my life inconvenient and insecure.  Things would be better if there were more of us.  Then, we'd be able to work together, to deal with one another freely.  It helps a lot that there are a few people within the medical establishment, specifically dentistry and optometry, who are willing to deal with me.  For any more serious medical situation, I can only try to stay sovereign, try to stay healthy, and hope for the best.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.
May 2012 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 1

Scratch Tape:  Above and Beyond
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn January of this year I acquired a copy of the old 1952 movie Above and Beyond, a movie about Operation Silverplate, the project to drop a nuclear bomb on Japan.  Robert Taylor was Colonel Paul W. Tibbets, 509th Composite Group Commanding Officer and pilot of the Enola Gay, the famous B-29.  Eleanor Parker was Lucy Tibbets, his wife.  James Whitmore was Major William Uanna, the Security Officer.  A short synopsis of the movie is available on Wikipedia so I won't go into the plot.  I can send a copy of that synopsis to subscribers who don't have internet access.  An actual historian might disagree with me but, based on my limited knowledge of events leading up to the dropping of the nuclear bomb, the movie seems to be reasonably accurate, historically.  However, I do have some comments regarding certain errors that I noticed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFirst, probably because I'm a Nuclear Engineer, I'll take exception to certain terminology that was used in the movie.  Atomic energy is released by the rearrangement or manipulation of atoms.  Nuclear energy is released by the rearrangement or manipulation of nuclei.  A campfire releases atomic energy.  Nuclear fission releases nuclear energy.  The bombs dropped on Japan were not atomic bombs.  They were nuclear bombs.  One more thing.  The correct pronunciation isn't "nucular".  It's "nuclear".  If we're going to discuss the subject then let's at least pronounce the word correctly.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs I noted, the movie seemed to me to be reasonably accurate, historically.  It was also reasonably entertaining.  I thought that the sets and costumes were implausibly clean but that's probably normal for movies that were made in the 1950s.  There were occasional things that I particularly liked.  I was tickled to notice Colonel Tibbets using an inverted piston for an ash tray on his desk.  I've seen real people do those sorts of things.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNow, don't get me wrong.  It's normal for movies to have errors in them.  Even this newsletter has occasional nistakes.  Mobody's perfect.  Even so, that doesn't inhibit me from mentioning errors in movies, when I notice them.  There were a few errors in Above and Beyond.
Enola Gay15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNear the end of the movie, during a briefing just prior to the historic flight, Colonel Tibbets mentioned that the Enola Gay had been stripped down and didn't have any armor or turrets.  See the picture.  A few seconds later, in the footage of Enola Gay shown in the movie, a gun turret was glaringly visible on top of the fuselage, just forward of the wings.  Maybe they didn't have any footage of the actual takeoff but it was a very obvious error.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEarlier in the movie, Colonel Tibbets had to land a B-29 that had a stalled engine and jammed landing gear.  There were several shots of the airplane turning and descending, getting into position for the landing.  A stalled engine is obvious on a propeller driven airplane and, in most of those shots, the engine was indeed stalled.  Sadly, in one of them, the shot of the final approach, all four engines were running.  It was a clumsy error.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAn unforgivable error happened about four minutes into the movie.  It showed Colonel Tibbets before he was transferred to the B-29 squadron in Wichita, while he was still flying B-17 bombing missions over Europe.  The action in the B-17 seemed plausible to me.  The pilot communicated with his crew.  The plane approached the target.  The plane was over the target.  They dropped the bombs.  Then, the movie cut to an outside view of the plane dropping the bombs.  Bear with me for a moment.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'm not trying to pass myself off as an airplane recognition expert.  If I get a real good look at an airplane then I might be able to identify four or five different kinds, especially unusual ones like an SR-71.  However, I do have some powers of observation and I do know how to count.  There must be miles of footage showing B-17s dropping bombs.  I don't know why the producers of the movie couldn't have found some such footage.  Anyway, B-17s have four engines.  The airplane shown in the movie, dropping bombs in a B17 squadron, being flown by colonel Tibbets, had only two engines.  It wasn't a B-17.  Amazing.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
Page 2 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  May 2012

Letter to the Editor
Gmail sucks beef
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRead your April issue.  I'm trying to unsubscribe everything on my old email because UH transferred all mail services to gmail, the following is my email to ITS of UH about this:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis is just a personal beef about the gmail that UH has decided to entrust its email services.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFYI only:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom the book "Search & Destroy, Why You Can't Trust Google Inc." page 31 from the chapter ‘Why Google is a privacy disaster’;  "... Gmail scans all of your email ... and permanently stored by a third party ... autosave ... save drafts written in anger but never sent..."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom page 102;  "Google's products "free products" aren't really free.  each time you use one of Google's free products, you pay Google in tracking data and the incremental loss of privacy that goes with it."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom page 247; "With Priority Mailbox, Google reads your emails and listens to your voicemails..."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI plan to still keep my hawaii.edu email for long lost contacts but will get hushmail or some other secure mail for everyday use.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeef over.
—ccrandal
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI wasn't sure if ccrandal intended for the above message to be published as a letter to the editor, so I sent an inquiry.  In reply, I received the message below.
—editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGo ahead publish it - I want everybody to know that when you delete on googlemail - it's not delete - even if it's a draft - google keeps it FOREVER - besides Google and NSA are pretty damn cozy.  I was looking at Hushmail but I'm still looking..
—ccrandal
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Good God
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAccording to the beliefs of some Christians, God must be a maniacal tyrant.  That is, he demands worship, he has a fit if his followers don't obey him, and he punishes such miscreants with eternal Hell and Damnation.  If a father acted like that conception of God, that is, if he made his children worship him and threatened them with eternal torment as a consequence of their misbehavior, then he'd probably be regarded by some folks as a candidate for the loony bin or the slammer.  Where do people get such stupid ideas about God?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Silly Yak Condition
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome time ago, I was listening to a conversation between two women.  One of them has the Coeliac Condition and, as a result, she doesn't eat anything that contains gluten.  By the way, Coeliac isn't a disease.  It's a condition.  Anyway, the woman with the Coeliac Condition recounted an experience that she'd recently had in a restaurant, where she'd been trying to order a meal.  In the restaurant, she'd cautioned the waitress to not put any bread on her plate because she couldn't eat anything that contained wheat.  The waitress, trying to be helpful, offered to bring white bread instead of wheat bread.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI didn't say anything but the two women chuckled at the ignorance of the waitress for not knowing that white bread contains wheat.  The other woman, the one of the two who doesn't have the Coeliac Condition commented, "Well, what do you expect, with what they pay the poor waitresses?"  Now, that statement is almost as silly as the statement that the waitress made.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe ignorance of the waitress isn't a consequence of her pay check.  It's a consequence of her failed education.  Besides that, she's a waitress, for Pete's sake!  She does food for a living!  Even if her schooling was deficient, training on the job ought to have taught her the basics of food.  If she doesn't even know that bread has wheat in it then she's an embarrassment to her trade.  She needs an education.  By the way, so does the woman who thinks that low pay is an excuse for ignorance.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell hell!  What're we gonna to do?  Here's an idee.  Maybe we orta sit up a manduhtory school thing un' force everbody ta go ta school fer 12 years and git a edycation, whether theys wants it er not.  Yup.  That'd fix tha danged problem, ah dadburn betcha it shure 'nuff would.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•   I can't help but to wonder about the women who insist on being called moms, instead of being called mothers.  Is there something wrong with them?  Are they ashamed of being mothers?  What's their problem?
•   Traveling minstrels often use period instruments.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageMale Symbol

May 2012 Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507      Page 3

Frontiersman 
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507 

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageStress is the mother of achievement.
—Monday, October 3, 1994
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty; and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
From the Philosophy of George Carlin
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Lady Jan the Voluptuous.
Where do forest rangers go to get away from it all?
If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Or, more likely, the right to remain still. —editor
Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
How is it possible to have a civil war?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Actual Labels on Consumer Products
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous.
On a child's superman costume:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."
On a Swedish chain saw:
"Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Questions
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by David, of Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Why is abbreviated such a long word?
Why do people without a watch look at their wrists when you ask them what time it is?
Why do you ask someone without a watch what time it is?
Why do banks charge you a "non-sufficient funds fee" on money they already know you don't have?
Why is the alphabet in that order?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubscriptions and Past Issues — Printed copies of this newsletter, either subscriptions or past issues, are available by application only.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use Frontiersman@manlymail.net.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Page 4  Frontiersman, c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507  May 2012

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue