PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, July 2014
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
License to Deceive
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow many times have you been asked by a traffic cop, out on the road, to show your driver's license so that the cop would know that you're qualified to drive?  Not very often, maybe never.  How many times have you been asked by someone who wasn't a traffic cop, when you weren't out on the road, to show your driver's license so that you could prove your identity?  Probably thousands of times.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven out on the road, the traffic cop doesn't really care if you can drive.  He just wants to know your identity so that he can use the information against you.  He'll check for "priors" and warrants.  So, how smart do you have to be to figure out that it isn't a driver's license?  The "driver's license" doesn't have much to do with driving.  They call it a driver's license to deceive people.  It isn't a driver's license.  It's a government ID card.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven if it's conceded that inventors should be able to patent their inventions, an idea with which I disagree, it is nevertheless entirely unacceptable for discoverers of things that already exist to patent their discoveries.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA society whose young people are forced to fight for it is a society that should not survive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAll too often, medical people become so confident of their superiority that they stop behaving like medical people and start behaving like evangelists.  I've noticed that they charge the same rates, either way.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Letters to the Editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRE: repairing VCRs:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI had a nice one that lost a rubber drive belt (I assume, because everything seemed to be working except that tape wouldn't move in the cassette).  I took it apart — as much as I could — but never DID find the damn belt.  The machine was apparently assembled with the idea that NOBODY would ever want to take it apart to repair or replace anything in it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWelcome to the "throw-away" economy.  I would suggest that you could possibly acquire a different machine from a thrift store for less than the cost of having somebody attempt to repair your broken one.
—SantaClara Bob
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMost of the used VCRs at thrift stores already have something wrong with them.  I need to have access to somebody who can repair the machines that I already have.  The problem, at the only repair shop that I was able to find, was the lack of replacement parts.  So, it seems to me that the only place that will be able to repair VCRs will be a place that's large enough to have accumulated a lot of old VCRs, for parts.  I hear that the NSA has a large collection of every possible kind of old audiovisual equipment, so that its investigators can view all possible kinds of old recordings.  Wouldn't it be fun to ask the NSA to repair my VCRs for me?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding the throw-away economy, that isn't the worst.  I can't just throw away something and buy a new one.  I'm forced to throw away something and buy something different, instead.  In this case, I'm expected to throw away VCRs and buy DVD machines.  So it isn't just a throw-away economy.  It's a forced obsolescence economy, and that's even worse.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe idea that videocassettes are obsolete is a matter of opinion.  Being superseded isn't the same thing as being obsolete.  The decision to make the transition to DVDs should be my choice, not the choice of marketing promoters whose only goal is to transfer funds from me to them.  In fact, I make a distinction between salesmen and marketing promoters.  A salesman sells me what I want.  A marketing promoter tells me what I want.
—editor
Mr. Milam —
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI received your letter a few days ago followed directly by the May edition of the Frontiersman....  Thank you for writing back w/your thoughts & info on Agenda 21.  As usual you got my gears turning, a highlight of my day....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe thing that gets to me is how big of an industry prison has become.  Money is at the heart of every prisoner's sentence & of
Arrow

July 2014 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

every new law passed.  Federal, state & now private prisons are making a fortune off of people's tax dollars.  Human warehousing, at least in my state, is the sacred cow w/little to no real oversight.  No one ever really questions its effectiveness.  It's just accepted.  No matter how much blood or money it demands we keep feeding it.  As long as people are blindly supporting this juggernaut it will only continue to grow....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLately I've noticed that you've been quoting Robert Heinlein an awful lot.  Man, that guy was super insightful & a great writer.  I've only read one of his books, "The Book of Job" I believe, & it was great.  (If you haven't read it I think you'll enjoy it.)  Unfortunately my library here has no Heinlein books.  So I plan on saving my 8¢ an hour to buy some.  Which of his books do you recommend or any book for that matter?  I just read ‘Tuf Voyaging’ by George R. R. Martin that was dealing w/sustainability & government fudgery.  It's right up your alley I think.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWell Mr. Milam, once again I appreciate what you are doing for myself & others.  Please continue on the frontier of truth, laying down the path for others to explore as well.  Hope to hear from you again.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour friend,
—a prisoner
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've read many of Heinlein's books, including Job:  A Comedy of Justice.  I began reading his books at an early age and was strongly influenced by his political views.  In my opinion, his earlier vintage books are superior to his later ones.  Specifically, I recommend Revolt in 2100, Glory Road, and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, all by Heinlein.  I also recommend The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman and The Tomorrow File, by Lawrence Sanders.  Of course, any complete reading list must include 1984, by George Orwell.
—editor
Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHey brother.  Received the May 2014 Frontiersman.  Very good as usual.  Keep up the great work.  Hey, you responded to a prisoner's comment/question on page 2 & 3 and you asked if anyone knew of the FEMA camps — well, just so happens, my best friend [name omitted] in [location omitted] has sent me articles and stuff (camp locations) off the internet @ http://www.apfn/apfn.org/camps.htm.  It's one of those sites done up by Oliver (the traitor) North (I was under his watch in Central America in [date omitted]) and he did the ole talk in front of Congress (date unknown) and he did let Congress know under Operations Garden Plot and Cable Splicer that camps are ready to start accepting (US) dissidents or resisters.  I've also heard about several military field manuals dealing with American prisoners (care and feeding)....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnyway Sam, thank you again for your positive newsletter brother.  You can tell those California inmates that to hang in there brothers, it won't be much more time before CDC is fixed.  Here @ [location omitted], our staff will tell us straight up — we (the guards union) had a good run, we made lots of money and it's all coming to an end.  The courts have said break the prison population down to 137.5% of designed capacity — or else.  Remember fellow prisoners, it took darn near 9 years for the 2 (2 judges, not 3 like California has) judges to fix Oklahoma, Texas and Florida's overcrowding problem.  Hang in there.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOkay Sam.  Again, thank you brother.  I/we enjoy your stuff.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely
—a prisoner
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI tried to access the website at the URL that you provided.  I got a strange failure message.  During the access attempt, the www was redirected to ww25.  I've never before heard of a URL that uses ww25.  It was a complete mystery to me and the browser failed to find ww25.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat brings to mind a spooky story of something that happened about eight years ago.  It's probably completely unrelated but it's an interesting story, so I'll tell it anyway.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA friend told me of someone she knows (let's call him John) who followed a link from a search engine, then linked around various websites, while searching for whatever it was that he wanted to investigate.  He eventually ended up in a strange location that appeared to him to be some kind of a live satellite feed.  He was looking at the ground from a high elevation and he thought that the pictures were live.  It was late, so he bookmarked the location, put his computer in Sleep Mode, and went to bed.  The next morning, he discovered that the only things remaining in his computer were the operating system, the browser, and a message warning him to never access that location again.  All of his bookmarks, browser history log, and saved files were gone.  A few days later, he was visited by two men that my friend described as "suits".  John didn't say anything to my friend about
Arrow

Page 2  Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 July 2014

his conversation with them but she said that he seemed shaken.  She didn't mention if the visitors were wearing black suits.  Whoa!  Maybe not MIB but at least MIS!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter I made the editorial reply about the FEMA camps (May issue, page 3), I saw an episode of America's Book of Secrets, about prisons.  The documentary included a segment about FEMA camps.  The segment noted that the fences around the FEMA camps all have razor wire or barbed wire at their tops and that the wire slants in, not out.  Thus, the narrator commented, the fences are intended to keep people in the camps, not out of them.  No comment was made and no explanation was given as to why a FEMA camp should have a fence at all.  A more important point, utterly unmentioned in the documentary, was why FEMA camps were included AT ALL in a documentary about prisons.  I smell a rat.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't have any information about military field manuals.  Maybe somebody else who reads this can help.
—editor
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHi Sam - Just a quick note congratulating you on the latest Frontiersman.  At first, I thought YOU had used the name "Sticky" to write the cover story (The Pursuit of Happiness), because it opened with your style.  Upon reading further, I realized that it was a real article from a real inmate.  It opened my eyes to life in prison.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe humor forwarded by Sir Donald was funny, and I was intrigued by your fiction on pages 2 and 3.  So much to think about!  Thanks a lot — Am looking forward to a sequel to "Bygones".
—Tom, of Redwood City, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have other stories available on my personal website.  Look under the heading "Stories" at http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/.
—editor
Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat is it about religion that you don't like?  I suspect that it is religious institutions that turn you off.  It is true that human institutions usually take on a life of their own and become instruments for the insiders to control and exploit others.  To wit, divine right of kings supports your government and religion assertions.  But religion as a belief held by people must be respected and the real objective is the search for truth.  That is why I am enclosing my Bob Link essay on science vs religion.  I believe we should always keep an open mind about the ultimate truth.  No human has all the answers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou and a few others do mankind a great service by challenging conventional ideas and forcing people to think.  Keep up the good work.
—Bob Link
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI oppose any institution whose members use force to impose their beliefs onto other people and to punish people who don't cooperate.  Christians have allowed their religion to be dominated by just such institutions, suggesting that they're not any more Christlike than the members of any other religion.  Today, in America at least, the institutional Christian agenda is "dressed up" in a showy veneer of "due process" that gives it the illusion of legitimacy.  It's only an illusion.  The agenda hasn't changed for centuries.  That agenda is to root out and destroy heresy, at any cost, regardless of the effect on nonbelievers, and with a complete disregard for courtesy, humility, or integrity.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe freedom of religion isn't just the freedom to have a religion, to have a religion that's different from the majority, or to not have any religion at all.  It's also the freedom to be LEFT ALONE, to not be harassed, coerced, evangelized, proselytized, imprisoned or otherwise punished, by zealots or evangelists who want to control behavior or save souls, because of somebody else's beliefs or lack of them.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy view of institutional religion, including Christianity, is that it doesn't have much to do with a belief in God.  It seems to be mostly about obeying the clergy, with God as the clergy's badge of office and "big stick".  The consequences of disobedience appear to be, variously, criminal prosecution and punishment, defamation and slander, shunning, excommunication, exile, torture, death, or whatever other punishments the particular clergy have the power to impose.  As an alternative, I suggest that God intends for us to think for ourselves.  It's the institutions, even the Christian institutions, not God, that try to control us.
—editor
Sam Milam III....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI just read Frontiersman June '14, thanks — Bygones was almost too haunting to read, tho the haunt didn't materialize fully till the end.  When I watched the movie "1984" — I couldn't even finish it, it was so dreary — only movie in my life impacted me that way.  Similar here.
—a prisoner

July 2014 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMay God  grant us the will to seek the light, the skill to find it, the courage to choose it, and the wisdom to make it endure.
The Pharos Prayer
from http://pharos.org.uk/
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  my mother;  Dewey and Betty;  Tom, of Redwood City, California;  Chris, of Gainesville, Georgia;  Justin, of Cumming, Georgia;  Bob Link, of Murphys, California;  and Eric, of Ione, California.
— editor
Wanted
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI need to find a student that I can train to continue my work after I'm no longer willing and able to do it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Puns
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA hangover is the wrath of grapes.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

When You Least Expect It
These statements are presumably from a collection of actual analogies and metaphors found in high school essays.  I don't know the original source.  These were forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFrom the attic came an unearthly howl.  The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLong separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 PM. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 P.M. at a speed of 35 mph.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJohn and Mary had never met.  They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  All past issues are available at http://frontiersman.org.uk/.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, then return it unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.org.uk.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4  Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 July 2014

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue