Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, February 2016
Yesterday's News
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe article presented below, Civilized Society, was written on April 15, 2015.  I never got around to using the article and, sometime in late February of this year, I realized that it was way too old to be useful.  So, I dropped the paper copy into my recycle basket and deleted the file from the internal drive in my computer.  Happily, I don't empty my recycle basket very often and I have a lot of backup copies of the contents of the internal drive.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's what I realized about Civilized Society, before it was too late.  The information that I continue to receive from prisoners gives me the impression that the circumstances addressed in Civilized Society haven't improved in the two years since the article was written.  So, if my impression is correct, then the article hasn't been rendered useless by time.  Indeed, its age is what makes it relevant.  The article tells us that things haven't improved.  Yesterday's article is still reporting today's news.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Civilized Society
Robert H. Outman, Prisoner P-79939
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe federal court ruled on elderly in prison.
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA civilized society locks up such people until age makes them harmless, but it does not keep them in until they die.
—81.5 F.2d 1195
US v. E. Jackson
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Yet, old and sick prisoners continue to die in California's prison system.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe U.S. Supreme Court had to rule in 2011 that California was conducting cruel and unusual punishment by overcrowding prisons, before the state begrudgingly began to reduce the population of its 34 prisons.  Rather than follow the hint of the federal court to apply insight and revisit their obsession with draconian long sentencing, our guardians of the public trust took another approach.  Like an obstinate child ordered to clean its room sweeps dirt under the rug and just rearranges its clutter, the state basically did the same.  To pacify the court, prison officials and legislators set to store 9000 prisoners out-of-state, engage in costly leases of private prisons to warehouse prisoners, build more prisons, pump billions of dollars to counties to stack prisoners in jail cells, and institute feckless legislation giving the illusion of "reform".  PRESTO!  The population of the original 34 prisons is reduced.  Never mind the duplicity and multi-billion dollar cost to the taxpayers, or further erosion to a civilized society's soul.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThrough political smoke and mirrors, cruel and unusual overcrowding merely shifted to county jails.  The feckless legislation proves to be more rhetoric than substance.  Prisons are loaded with thousands of old prisoners in wheelchairs, using walkers and limping about with canes.  The officials' answer to this uncivilized condition is that prisoners over the age of 60 years (except life without parole) and who have served 25 years straight will be considered for parole.  As of March 2015, the Associated Press reported that, of the thousands of elderly and sick prisoners, 111 have been granted parole but the governor has denied 20 of those grants and 17 are uncertain.  So, the reality is that, of 8,000 plus elderly prisoners, maybe 63 [sic] will breathe free air before they die.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTo continue to appease an insatiable appetite for punishment, the parole board, like a cat playing with a mouse, offers the opportunity of parole to old harmless prisoners, but ends up denying them on an average of 5 years.  Such a denial to an old prisoner is basically a cruel assurance of death in prison.  A rational person has to recognize this as more shameful than civilized.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCalifornia's prison system holds over 125,000 prisoners, at an annual cost in excess of $12 billion.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn science, any set of axioms or assumptions can be completely self-consistent, and still be wrong.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn a home or office, any unoccupied horizontal surface will spontaneously attract clutter.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

March 2017 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you for the Feb issue, my 2nd one.  I really enjoy them.  [Name withheld], a friend of yours for over a decade, exists in a nearby cell and recommended Frontiersman to me.  He, like you, is quite an extraordinary fellow.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe article by Tom from Redwood City on the sales and marketing programs of Christians [Letters to the Editor, February issue, pages 1 and 2] is excellent and accurate.  They fail to accept that after 2,000 years of energetic work, the world's population is only 13% Christian.  Even the Crusades where thousands were murdered in Christ's name hasn't raised their acceptance.  In fact, today, they are becoming a vanishing breed.  As a new Western Buddhist, who never killed anyone over anything, I try to lead by example and wait for others to ask me why I am as I am.  Of course, there may be rabid Buddhists out there — no religion's followers are 100% perfect.  As a whole, we're not a very evolved species.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe implementation of Prop 57 by CDCR [Letters to the Editor, February issue, pages 2 and 3] will be avoided as long as possible and will generate lots of court cases.  They've never cared about the public's will beforehand, so there's no reason to think they'll change soon.  Still, the legislation is a step ahead that will one day free a few.  In the meantime, we must hold their feet to the fire and continue our fight for rehabilitation and stop warehousing people for sometimes endless decades.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've heard the DNA story [Editorial comment, February issue, page 3] elsewhere and agree that it's only a matter of time before we discover that the government hasn't backed off on its campaign to control us all and has its fingers all over our DNA records.  Like gun control, the mantra will be that it's done for the public's safety....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegards,
—Jim, in Ione, California
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Crusades, the Bloody Verdict of Verden, the Inquisition, and other such acts of brutal Christian evangelism have, in general, promoted Christianity's domination of its enemies, but have not increased its virtue.  Indeed, such things are probably good reasons why Christianity has so many enemies, and so little virtue.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's a Buddhist joke for you.  A Buddhist walked up to a hot dog vender and said, "make me one with everything."
—editor
The Frontiersman
Att:  Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHey Sam.  Just wanted to let you know I've moved.  I am now at [address omitted].  Just so you don't get any return to sender stuff.  I'd sho' hate to miss any of your issues.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you again Sam for keeping me on your mailing list.  I/we do appreciate all you are doing brother.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you & keep up the great job.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely
—a prisoner
Dear Sam: 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI must apologize for not responding earlier to my A.O.L. email problems [Amerika Off Line, February issue, page 1], and to your letter.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't think that I will change my email account.  The reason is that I am going to start reducing my use of the internet, and other examples of advanced technology.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI resent advanced technology, because I see it as the great Trojan Horse/poisoned apple/Ring that binds them all, and it is reducing humanity!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAdvanced technology is rapidly snuffing out the possibility of human liberty worldwide.  I realize that this is an extreme statement, and that most people will disagree with it.  I realize that I am likely to be called a hypocrite, because advanced technology has undoubtedly saved my life, and is keeping me alive.  Nevertheless, I am moving away from it, as well as I can.  Knowledge of science and nature is good in itself.  How it is applied makes a big difference.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn a sense, a gun is neutral technology.  A gun can be used for protection, or for aggression.  However, in the context of authoritarian, hierarchical society, guns are not neutral.  Guns and other weapons are mostly in the hands of governments, and aggressive criminal gangs.  Therefore, in the context of governed society, guns are not neutral.  They are weapons of authoritarian control, and the world would be better if they could magically vanish.  Likewise, computers are bad in our social context.  Computers and the internet are facilitating techniques of coercion and control that are more intense than the world has ever seen.  Not only is virtually everything we do "online" known to security forces, but surveillance satellites and drones, GPS tracking, and microchips, make it possible for the authoritarians to know almost all of our movements.  I live in Sili-
Arrow

Page 2  Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 March 2017

con Valley, and here the current enthusiasm for self-driving cars is disgusting to me.  As you referenced in a previous article [A Question of Intelligence, January issue, pages 1 and 2], the blind acceptance of cybernetic control as a form of freedom and empowerment is the height of stupidity.  Yet it goes on....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis brings me to another, slightly more benign way in which technology hampers freedom.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLet me give an example.  To drive a car, a person has to have access to a car.  A person has to know how to drive a car.  A person has to have a license.  The person has to adapt his or her behavior to the requirements of the car.  The driver cannot safely be spontaneous and individual, but has to conform to the whole car system.  Of course, it is possible to refuse to use a car, but if a person chooses to do so, various sacrifices have to be made.  Modern, high-tech society is filled with other examples of pressured conformity — situations in which people have to conform to mechanical/cybernetic systems, or suffer serious inconvenience.  I think I've said enough to sketch in a brief way my reasons for resenting advanced technology.  At this time, I am not able to completely go off line but that's my long term goal
—Sir Donald
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor anybody who's interested in further consideration of Sir Donald's ideas, I can suggest two good places to start.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Tomorrow File, by Lawrence Sanders, Berkley Publishing Corporation, Copyright © 1975, by Lawrence Sanders.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIndustrial Society and Its Future, by Theodore John Kaczynski.  It's available in The Sovereign's Library.
—editor
Attitudes and Consequences
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt seems that some people would rather fight about an issue than to resolve it.  The death penalty seems to be a good example.  For such people, the death penalty isn't necessarily the issue.  Domination is the issue.  For those people, the agenda isn't to solve the problem but to defeat the opposition.  If the issue was resolved, then such people would search for another excuse to control other people.  Here's a suggestion.  It might not necessarily be a good idea but I'll offer it for consideration anyway.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageExecutions are already done with injections, but why use lethal injections?  Instead, use injections that will induce comas.  We could call it comacution, instead of execution.  A comacuted man would be virtually dead.  That might satisfy people on both sides of the debate.  Comacution has another advantage.  If a comacuted man is later discovered to have been innocent, then it might be possible to revive him.  That isn't possible with an executed man.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith that advantage, why isn't it necessarily a good idea?  Because comacuted people aren't actually dead.  There are issues regarding such things as wills, the census, inheritance, divorces, and so forth.  Also, would comacuted people get the care that's needed by somebody who's in a coma?  Would such care be expensive for prisons, causing them to send comacuted people to county hospitals?  Prisons already send prisoners to county jails.  However, the most serious potential problem is that comacution might make the death penalty seem less heinous and, thus, make it easier to impose.  That's more sinister than it might seem at first.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs already noted, the legal status of comacuted people might be ambiguous.  Whether they're legally alive or legally dead might become a political issue.  If they're deemed to be dead, then the consequences could be far reaching.  People want to stay young forever.  So, if the comacuted people are dead anyway, and expensive to maintain, and already in hospitals, then voters might come to view them as a treasure trove of healthy organs for transplants.  Eternal youth is only a vote away.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe demand for healthy organs will always exceed the supply.  As the supply provided by comacution dwindles, it might become politically necessary to increase the supply.  There's an obvious way to do that.  Comacution provides organs for transplants.  When people are driven by their fear of old age and death, and they see the supply of replacement organs dwindling, who knows what minor violations might become capital offenses?  Our society is already obsessed with prohibition and punishment.  If making burglary, for example, into a capital offense will supply more organs, then let's "get tough on crime".
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMaybe such things as capital punishment are merely the consequences of our failures.  Maybe the real problems are our inability to understand the implications of our attitudes, to correctly predict the consequences of those attitudes, or even to care.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
March 2017 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSometimes it seems as if there are more solutions than problems.  On closer scrutiny, it turns out that many of today's problems are a result of yesterday's solutions.
— Thomas Sowell
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;  Betty;  Eric, of Ione, California;  Jim, of Ione, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

It's Great to Be a Guy Because
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir John the Generous.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe remote control is yours and yours alone.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWedding dress:  $2,000;  tuxedo rental:  $75.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGray hair and wrinkles add character.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Blonde Jokes
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat's the difference between a smart blonde and Bigfoot?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBigfoot has actually been seen.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow do you make a blonde laugh on Monday morning?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTell her a joke on Friday night.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow many blondes does it take to make an electrical circuit?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTwo, one to stand in the bath tub and another to plug in the blow dryer and hand it to her.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat does Dr. McCoy say just before he performs brain surgery on a blonde?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpace, the final frontier.
Q:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHow did the blonde break her leg while she was raking leaves?
A:15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe fell out of the tree.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are available at the address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use editor@frontiersman.org.uk.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 March 2017

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue