PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Insert
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
Page 1 ImageBest Laid Schemes of Men
and Lemmings
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFor some time now, I've suspected the existence of an effort to minimize concerns about human overpopulation.  For example, I've seen a good many reports of things that aren't available in sufficient quantity for the number of people who need them.  Population reduction was never mentioned as a solution to such problems.  Instead, it seemed that the idea was always carefully avoided.  In every such case, substantial efforts were noted or suggested to meet the needs of the ever-growing number of people, without regard for how large that number might eventually be.  Recently, my suspicions were confirmed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn Tuesday, October 22, 2019, I watched an episode of Retroreport on PBS.  The penultimate segment dealt with population growth.  That segment implied a smug amusement regarding Paul Ehrlich and the old zero population growth movement, and a tolerant forgiveness of the misguided people who'd been taken in by such silly concerns.  According to the report, ongoing population growth isn't a problem at all.  In fact, according to the report, various governments around the world are getting nervous about predictions that the size of the population might eventually stabilize at about 9 billion, supposedly around 2040 or 2050.  The report predicted panic among governments, at that time, over a shortage of people.  According to the report, China is already trying to create a "population boom".  So, my suspicions were confirmed.  An inconspicuous propaganda campaign has been under way.  Zero population growth is being quietly discredited.  Why?  Here's my theory.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEvery governmental, social, commercial, or administrative agency on the planet now operates according to a set of rules that requires unending population growth as a prerequisite to continued operation.  Everything, marketing strategies, stock investments, retirement plans, entitlement programs, safety nets, insurance, interest payments, loans, mortgages, everything requires growth.  If our population doesn't continue to expand, then we're faced with a world-wide calamity.  If such a Ponzi-like scenario seems too surreal to believe, then I suggest a careful study of my essays about money, taxes, and corporations, in Pharos.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the present rate of population growth continues, then a collapse and die-off seem to be inevitable.  The situation will be, as they say, Biblical, including famine, pestilence, war, and death.  The survivors will find themselves living as our ancestors did after the previous such event, probably about 7000 years ago.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the size of the population stabilizes or declines, then all of those growth things will have to change.  Banking will be unrecognizable as compared to the present banking system.  Interest-bearing transactions won't exist.   Everything will be durable and reusable.  The idea of new models every year will seem as insane as it actually is.  Wealth will result from accumulation, not from growth.  Investments will be for upkeep and repairs, not for profit, which will be replaced by stability.  We'll have to use real money instead of account balances and credit.  The necessary changes in our expectations and thinking will be so radical that the die-off actually seems more likely to me.  Maybe we'll make the transition.  I don't know.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf the population stops growing but we don't change our ways, then we'll probably be faced with some kind of Soylent Green scenario, or something similar.  There'll probably still be an eventual collapse and die-off, but it's more likely that it will be slow and tedious, not sudden.  Even so, there's still hope.  Maybe our descendants will do better the next time, during the next population expansion, probably about 7000 years from now. 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
December 2019 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

Intelligent Alternative (IA)
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI expect that, by now, most people are aware of the enthusiasm for self-driving cars.  I expect that few people understand how ill-considered that enthusiasm really is.  In terms of risks versus benefits, there doesn't seem to be enough benefit from the use of self-driving cars to justify the dystopian dangers that are inherent in them.  I predicted some of those dangers in Carnet:  Rise of the Machines, in the June 2018 issue.  I haven't noticed much concern about such things, mostly just starry-eyed delight over yet another batch of technostuff.  I did see part of a movie in which some hackers remotely hijacked some code-controlled cars and drove them out of the side of a high-rise parking garage, raining them down onto some people on the street below.  That did, in fact, resemble the sorts of things that I predicted in my article, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on people's attitudes.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI might be out-of-date on the state of development of self-driving cars but, as I understand it, one of the technical problems is designing control systems that are capable of recognizing the nearly infinite number of variables that might be relevant, out on the road.  For example, a control system that can correctly identify a man standing beside the road might be baffled by a man on a bicycle, or by a man pushing a bicycle.  A control system that can recognize the back of a car might ignore the side of a truck, and so forth.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile I was thinking about such difficulties, it occurred to me that maybe the designers are going about it the wrong way.  Instead of building their control systems with electronics and code, maybe they should be growing them, by cloning human brains.  After all, we're very good at learning to recognize things.  The designers might be better able to successfully educate a cloned human brain than to adequately and comprehensively program an artificially intelligent electronic device.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThat's a wild idea.  If they succeeded in connecting cloned human brains to their control systems, then they might actually come up with something that would work almost as well as a human driver.  What?  A human driver?  That's an even better idea.  It suggests a stunning innovation.  If they just gave the cars a steering wheel, and a couple of pedals, then....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWow!10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
Hello Sammy,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI usually don't comment on anything because it gives up a bit of my anonymity.  However, in this case I will make an exception.  I personally believe that the system you described [Carnet:  Rise of the Machines, June 2018, pages 1 - 2] has been developed, weaponized, and deployed with success.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShortly after the advent of keyless ignitions on vehicles, there was a series of malfunctions on random vehicles which caused the accelerators to stick on full throttle, ignitions would not turn off, transmissions would not go into neutral, and a number of random families were killed.  The auto industry was asked to explain, bla, bla, bla.  That was the testing.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSpecifically, it was weaponized and used by MI5 in the tragic death of Princess Diana of England, whose vehicle accelerated out of control, wouldn't stop, wouldn't shift into neutral, and crashed at high speed killing all 4 passengers.  For that they blamed the paparazzi.  Everything plausibly denied.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's all just my opinion, but the Law of Parsimony is, after all, a Law.  Hope you have a great tomorrow....
—T. M., Winter Park, Florida
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMaybe those early incidents weren't random malfunctions.  Maybe they were planned executions.  In the Videos section of The Frontiersman Website, I have a video clip called Chrysler Zero Day.  It shows an interview of a former NSA hacker.  The incidents that you mentioned in your message bring to mind the scenario that was shown in that video clip.  The former hacker claimed that the vulnerabilities that he discovered have been fixed.  Maybe that means that, now, only the government has access to them.  Whoever still has access, it's a fact that the more self-driving capabilities a car has, the more open it is to such intrusive remote control.
—editor
Hey Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageLet me update you and your readers after the failed prison escape here in Arkansas [November issue, page 2], they transferred that inmate to the super max, and they fired the warden and deputy warden, for them wasting money & resources searching for that inmate for 24 hours, then finding him that next morning sitting up on top of the roof of the prison.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI also wanna tell ya, I just finished reading a great book!  "Marching Powder", a true story of friendship, cocaine, and South America's strangest jail by Rusty Young and Thomas McFadden.  And you need to order yourself a copy of this book!  I promise ya won't be disappointed, it's a very well written story!
—Howie in the Max

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2019

Page 3 Image 1Strange Explanations
Sam Aurelius Milam III
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome very competent witnesses had certainly seen a very strange sight — almost as strange as the official explanations.
—Frank Edwards (1908 — 1967)
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA while back, I watched episode 301 of the documentary series What On Earth?.  One segment showed a portion of a forest in central Ukraine, near the border with Belarus.  The photo showed a blotchy white region, approximately rectangular.  The blotchy white appearance of the region in the photo made it seem like the photo had been intentionally smudged.  The episode wound its weary way through the usual explanations but eventually presented an earlier photo of the same region.  The earlier photo hadn't been smudged.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe earlier photo showed the region in question to be an enormous parking lot, filled with motor vehicles and helicopters.  According to the people interviewed, the Soviets had used the parking lot as an impound lot for contaminated vehicles, after the Chernobyl accident.  They put a fence around it and, when the Soviet Union disbanded, they abandoned it.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe region around the parking lot was presumably deserted but, according to the documentary, locals began to sneak through the fence to steal scrap metal and auto parts.  They were reportedly stealing so much of the stuff that the Ukrainian authorities considered it to be a potential health problem, and smudged the photo, to stop the pilfering.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe part about Chernobyl and the Soviets might have been true but the theory about smudging the photo to prevent theft left me wondering.  Are we expected to believe that the locals, assuming that there were any, couldn't learn about the scrap metal just by looking through the fence?  Did they really need a satellite photo to show them what was there? Would smudging the photo make them forget about the parking lot?    Did the authorities really have sufficient control of the photo, prior to its release, that they could smudge it?  Didn't some of the other hundreds of existing satellites take photos of the same location, so that smudging that one photo would be useless?  It seems to me like a pretty stupid theory but that was the explanation that was given on the documentary.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWho smudged the photo, and why?  I don't know, Page 3 Image 2but somebody had certainly provided a very strange photo — almost as strange as the documentary's explanation of it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

December 2019 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Law of Supply and Demand applies to people, just like it applies to anything else.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun 15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  and Eric, of Ione, California.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Rules of Grammar
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo sentence fragments.  No comma splices, run-ons are bad too.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times:  resist hyperbole;  not one writer in a million can use it correctly.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Funny Story
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Marilyn, of Bingham County, Idaho.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA little boy opened the big family Bible.  He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages.  Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible.  He picked up the object and looked at it.  What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in between the pages.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"Mama, look what I found!" the boy called out.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image"What have you got there, dear?"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith astonishment in his voice, he answered, "I think it's Adam's underwear!"10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Signs of Getting Older
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off. 
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThings you buy now won't wear out.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2019

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue