The Near Side of the Line
And the Rest of the Story
Sam Aurelius Milam III
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Merry Minuet
5x5 Page Background GIF ImageWritten by Sheldon Harnick
5x5 Page Background GIF ImagePerformed by The Kingston Trio, 1959
5x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey're rioting in Africa.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey're starving in Spain.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's hurricanes in Florida,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd Texas needs rain.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe whole world is festering with unhappy souls.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe French hate the Germans.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Germans hate the Poles.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageItalians hate Yugoslavs.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageSouth Africans hate the Dutch,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd I don't like anybody very much!
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut, we can be tranquil and thankful and proud, for man's been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd we know for certain that some lovely day, someone will set the spark off, and we will all be blown away.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThey're rioting in Africa.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's strife in Iran.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image5x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat nature doesn't do to us, will be done by our fellow man. 5x5 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA recent news program reported that there are more than 80 million refugees in the world, people who've been driven from their homes by fear, desperation, or hatred.  I thought that I must have heard the number incorrectly, so I watched a different news program.  It reported the same number.  I still didn't believe it, so I did a quick search.  I found the website of UNHCR, the UN's refugee agency.  That website reported that there are at least 82.4 million refugees in the world.  With a world population of about 7.8 billion, according to the Population Clock, 82.4 million refugees comes out to more than 1% of the entire world population.  Did I do the math correctly?  I did it again, several times, trying to get a different answer.  It came out the same, every time.  It doesn't seem possible but, if I'm doing the math correctly, and if UNHCR and the Population Clock are credible, then more than one out of every hundred people in the world is a refugee.  It takes a lot of fear, desperation, and hatred to turn that many people into refugees.  How can it be that bad?  The Merry Minuet suggests a clue.  It suggests that a refusal to tolerate differences is in our genes, and that it isn't going to go away.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd now for the rest of the story.  I had a neighbor, once, who refused to ride with me because he rode a Harley and I rode a Honda.  Maybe The Merry Minuet is correct.  Maybe people will use any excuse, however silly, to be intolerant.  It might be possible to reduce such intolerant behavior by making it illegal.  For example, maybe we could force Harley riders to ride with Honda riders.  That seems like a stupid idea, but that's exactly the kind of thing that the reformers keep doing.  One problem with such forcible control of our behavior is that, in order for the reformers to justify it, they have to construe the behavior in question as being harmful.  That might be acceptable if they were correct about the behavior, which can be a matter of opinion, and if they'd stop there, but they don't.  If they manage, by way of their activism, to require all of the rest of us to tolerate them, then they start to feel superior.  It isn't sufficient, any longer, for us to tolerate them, and to stop harming them.  They continue their activism, demanding that not only must we tolerate them, but that we must also approve of them.  We must like them.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageEven if we do have an obligation to tolerate homosexuals (just as an example) and to treat them courteously, that still doesn't mean that we also have an obligation to approve of homosexuality.  Approving of something is a whole different thing then tolerating it.  When a demand for toleration becomes a demand for approval, then a line is crossed.  On the near side of the line is fair treatment for some segment of society.  On the far side of the line is propaganda, the coercive manipulation of our beliefs in favor of the complaining faction.  It might be justifiable, maybe, sometimes, to regulate our behavior to protect such a group of people from being mistreated.  It's never justifiable to forcibly adjust our beliefs, just to make that group of people feel better.  It's a simple truth that, as far as toleration is concerned, approval doesn't even enter the equation.  Toleration is a relevant concern only when the people involved don't like each other.  We might have to tolerate people that we don't like but, if we like somebody, then toleration isn't an issue.  That simple truth provides an important lesson for all reformers.  The LGBTQ reformers appear to be the current crop, so I'll use them as an example.
Arrow

August 2021 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe LGBTQ reformers are justified in trying to protect their people from being mistreated.  They're not justified in trying to forcibly correct other people's disagreeable (to them) beliefs.  They need to accept the fact that some people just don't like them, and that those people have as much right to their opinions as the LGBTQ reformers have to theirs.  If they want people who don't like them to tolerate them, then they must tolerate the people that they don't like.  Otherwise, they're not promoting toleration.  They're promoting a self-serving hypocrisy.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI expect that the LGBTQ reformers, like all reformers, think of themselves as having good intentions.  We need to be cautious about that.  As Heinlein commented  in Glory Road, good intentions are the cause of more folly than all other causes put together.  If the LGBTQ reformers want to actually improve things, and not just to be the next group of evangelists, trying to forcibly impose the next new orthodoxy, then they need to be more enlightened than other reformers have been, and less arrogant.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNobody can predict the results of their efforts, but consider the record of other reformers, and remember that evangelism persists, as does incrementalism.  People with good intentions can come to believe that they have a holy mandate to save the world.  The list of horrors that have been perpetrated by such people is endless, and they never make things better.  They create desperation, hatred, fear, and refugees.  We already have at least 82.4 million refugees.  We don't need any more.  Reformers need to recognize the line between protecting themselves from mistreatment, and forcibly imposing their beliefs on others.  They need to stay on the near side of the line.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFinally, this is from the "for-what-it's-worth" department.  If those LGBTQ reformers really know what's good for them, then they'll add a black stripe to that flag of theirs.  Haven't they been paying attention?  Don't they know that black stripes matter?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs Paul Harvey used to say, that's the rest of the story.  Good day.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWith the Biden Regime coming to power, the government appears to be amping up the repression with its new War on Extremism, i.e., the War on Drugs/War on Terror extended to all patriotic and liberty loving Americans.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIs this the same-old same-old policy, or are we seeing something new being rolled out?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat do you think Americans can do in response?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYours in liberty,
—J. M., of Northridge, California
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePS:  enclosed are some stamps.  Keep up the good fight.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the miniseries Amerika, Soviet Colonel Andrei Denisov said, "Your young people [are] attacking the symbols of power they can see....  They resist in ways that make them feel good, not those that actually accomplish anything...."  To that observation, I can add a few comments of my own.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReformers almost always address the symptoms and consequences of problems, without even being aware of the actual problems.  See my article Problem One, in the July issue.  There are different opinions about why.  My father claimed that people are just naturally stupid.  I tend to believe, or at least to hope, that people actually can think, but that the process is usually impaired by false assumptions and misinformation   See Enemies of Liberty, in the April 2011 issue.  In Kodachrome, Paul Simon sang, "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all."  If my father was right, then there isn't any hope.  If I'm right, then the situation isn't entirely hopeless, just mostly so.  I've spent about half of my life gambling on the difference.  It's a long shot.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere are some suggestions for anybody who wants to do something that's actually useful.  Such a person needs to unlearn all of the stuff that's been forced into his head since he was a child.  He needs to go back to the beginning, start over, and educate himself.  My Ravings Essays would be a good place to start.  They're available in Pharos.
—editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageJust so you know, whenever I finish a Frontiersman, I pass it out to be read by whomever wants to read it, and believe it or not, a great many, around 90% make it back to me.  That tells me that most people regard what you write as like literature, say like a book, and a book you don't throw away like a newspaper, a book you keep.  So, I was reading through all of the Frontiersman I've saved over the years, and one caught my eye.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe September 2020  issue, in particular, the "A Fictional Speculation" article.  Now Sam, I know before you went all Ted Kaczynski, (minus the Unabomber things), you were a smart man.  Military, engineer, etc, and over the 80 plus years you've been on this planet, you've gained a tremendous amount of wisdom.  But, I think the universe has also blessed you with prophesy.  That article was so close to what
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 August 2021

Trump tried to do.  We are lucky he tried to organize his insurrection like he runs his businesses, immoral and bankrupt.  He used a bunch of racists and retards who had no organization and lacked qualified leadership.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe more I research Trump's run and election of president in 2016, the more I'm convinced he studied the biographies of people like Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Nixon, etc.  I know you're old enough to remember the comedian George Carlin, back in the seventies, during a stand-up routine he said, "when fascism comes to Amerika, it will be wrapped in an American flag and carrying a Bible."  Once again, Carlin must be a descendant of Nostradamus.  What's amazing is how many followers still believe Trumps "Big Lie", of election fraud.    I know a lot of anarchists who, because of Trump's tyranny, they voted for the first time in their lives, and for Biden, a Democrat....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSince Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and now Biden, we have leaders who govern by executive order.  Our country has become divided, and the chasm has become like the Grand Canyon.  And almost 99% of Americans have become sheeple.  Half are red, the other half blue.  And the real culprits are getting away with the biggest swindle in history.  They're stealing Amerikkka.  Who?  The rich!
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd the real problem is we've given up so much control to corporate America, the ultra rich, and smart technology/artificial intelligence.  I don't see a way out of this mess.  Like Stephen King's novel "The Stand", we need a virus to kill off 99.6% of the world so the survivors can pick up the pieces and start over.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAny who, Sam, stay well.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely,
—S. H., a prisoner
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageActually, I'll be 75 years old this year, not 80.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSince you were interested in A Fictional Speculation, in the September 2020 issue, you might also be interested in the predictions that  I made about the virus, near the middle of page 3 of the April 2020 issue.  Regarding your suggestion about The Stand, and getting out of this mess, consider that we already have the virus.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAbout Trump, don't forget that Hitler spent time in prison and still became der Führer.  Maybe it isn't over yet.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding executive orders, they're all unconstitutional.  See In Search of the Supreme Flaw of the Land:  Separation of Powers.  It's available in Pharos.
—editor
Gender Studies 101:
Introduction to Gender Equality
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf he doesn't ask her where she's going, then she'll complain that he doesn't care about her.  If he does ask her where she's going, then she'll complain that he's too controlling.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf he doesn't work overtime, then she'll complain that he isn't trying hard enough to support the family.  If he does work overtime, then she'll complain that he isn't spending enough time with the family.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat he earns belongs to both of them.  What she earns belongs to her.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf she can't sleep because of his snoring, then he'll have to sleep on the couch.  If he can't sleep because of her snoring, then he'll have to sleep on the couch.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHe has to leave the toilet seat down for her.  She doesn't have to leave the toilet seat up for him.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat she learned from her past relationships is experience.  What he learned from his past relationships is baggage.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHe's expected to be a good man according to her definition.  She gets to be a good woman according to her definition.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter the divorce, if she takes the children without asking, then she's rescuing them.  If he takes the children without asking, then he's abducting them.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Gun Sense
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Steve S.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
•15x5 Page Background GIF Image911 is government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageColt was the original point and click interface.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun control isn't about controlling guns.  It's about controlling people.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGuns have two enemies:  politicians and rust.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf you have to register, get permission, or pay a fee before you can do a particular thing, then that thing isn't a right.  It's a privilege.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUnending growth cannot be sustained.  Eventually, it must necessarily be replaced by constant, stable conditions.  The only other possible outcome of unending growth is collapse and ruin.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe presence of a woman in the workplace is a sexual provocation for the men, no matter how she dresses or how she behaves.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

August 2021 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe defense of civil liberties, by definition, involves the defense of persons who are most despised by the public.
—Aryeh Neier
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Sir Donald the Elusive;  and J. M., of Northridge, California.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Signs That You're Getting Older
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTying one on means fastening your Medic Alert bracelet.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour knees buckle and your belt won't.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou finally got your head together and your body is falling apart.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou look forward to a dull evening.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

From the Women's Dictionary
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDo whatever you want means you'll pay for this later.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWe need to talk means I need to complain.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSure, go ahead means don't do it.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo, I'm not upset means of course I'm upset, you moron.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis kitchen is so darned inconvenient means I want a new house.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThese curtains are faded means I want new curtains, carpeting, furniture, and wallpaper.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI think I heard a noise means I noticed that you were almost asleep.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI'll be ready in a minute means kick off your shoes, relax in your recliner chair, and find a good show on the TV.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou need to learn to communicate means just agree with me.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Be alert.  The world needs more lerts.
Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 August 2021

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue