Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
Problem One
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn March of 1969, my father wrote a letter to me in which, commenting about my impending marriage to my first wife, he wrote, "I can understand the impatience of youth and the world is in a sad state so you want to do things, however, there are too many people already so don't be in too much of a hurry to increase the population.  I am very concerned about the future welfare of the young people now growing up.  I try to never predict because if I'm right, no one remembers it, and if I'm wrong, no one ever forgets it.  If the present trend does not reverse very soon, I can see only cannibalism as the final conclusion."  That same year, U Thant, who was then the Secretary General of the United Nations, stated that we had about 10 years remaining in which to solve certain problems or, to use his words, they "will have reached such staggering proportions that they will be beyond our capacity to control."  One problem that he included in his list was the population explosion.  Whether or not my father was right about the cannibalism remains to be seen but he was certainly right about there being too many people.  U Thant was right to include the population explosion in his list.  I believe that human overpopulation is Problem One.  It's the problem that drives most of our other problems.  Climate change, deforestation, pollution, desertification, resource depletion, and so forth, are problems mostly because of human overpopulation.  They wouldn't be such problems if there weren't so many of us.  We've overwhelmed the planet's ability to cope with our ill-considered activities.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageU Thant was right about overpopulation being a problem but he was wrong to believe that we still had 10 years remaining in which to solve it.  I believe that it might have been possible, even as recently as 200 years ago, to have solved the overpopulation problem, and even to have done so honorably and humanely.   I believe that, now, there isn't any honorable or humane way to solve it.  There probably isn't any way to solve it at all.  Worse yet, we're pretending that it doesn't even exist.  We force everybody to use every possible kind of safety device, trying to keep as many people alive as possible.  We make every effort to feed the hungry, heal the sick, and prevent diseases, trying to keep as many people alive as possible.  We even enhance fertility for people who can't reproduce, further increasing the population.  Such behavior might seem humane but it reduces the death rate and increases the birth rate, enabling the overpopulation problem to get worse.  Maybe it isn't humane after all.  Meanwhile, we struggle to provide the food, water, shelter, and transportation that enables us to continue to tolerate the ever-worsening conditions.  We pretend that the conditions are the problem, not merely its consequences.  Faced with a population explosion that can't possibly be sustained, we're doing all of the wrong things.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageChina recently abandoned its two-child policy.  The policy was typically repressive and authoritarian, but it was probably the only sensible population policy on the entire planet.  Now it's gone.  Why was it abandoned?  Policy makers in China noticed that their population isn't growing quite as fast as before.  It's still growing, just not as fast.   Policy makers there, and elsewhere, are concerned that their financial and political institutions won't be able to continue functioning unless the population continues to grow.  They're absolutely correct.  The entire socioeconomic establishment of the entire planet is a giant Ponzi scheme.  It's the same as any other Ponzi scheme.  The size of the inputs must always grow to exceed the size of the outputs.  So, the population must keep growing.  Such an insane situation can't possibly be sustained.  The few instances of a slight decrease in the rate of population growth, such as was noticed by the policy makers in China, were the only hopeful signs that I've seen for decades.  Now, with policy makers on the alert and determined to obstruct any such reduction in the rate of growth, it seems likely to me that we'll fail to solve Problem One.  Left to itself, the problem will eventually solve itself.  I can't say for sure what the results will be, but I've given it a lot of thought, for many years.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn August of 1974, I wrote, "The longer we wait to solve an environmental problem, the fewer choices we will have.  If we wait long enough, then we probably won't have to
Arrow

July 2021 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

make any choices at all.  However, the resulting environment might be one in which we're not included."  Problem One is a very big environmental problem, and the statement applies.  The survival of our species isn't necessarily a forgone conclusion.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMaybe it won't be that bad.  Maybe the result will be merely a drastic and sudden drop in human population.  The species could survive that, but not society as we know it.  That would be a big disappointment for the policy makers.  With luck, maybe they'll be the first to go.  Maybe my father was right about the cannibalism.  Another possibility is that we'll achieve a stable population, but find ourselves in a nightmare world of universal, standing-room-only poverty.  That would make the present refugee camps seem like luxury resorts, by comparison.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShould we try to avert such dire consequences?  I don't know of any way to do so, honorably, humanly, or otherwise.  However, miracles do occur.  I don't mean phoney miracles, like the sunrise or a flower.  I mean real miracles.  So, assume a miracle.  Assume that we manage, somehow, and in spite of the policy makers, to miraculously achieve a stable world population, before everything crashes down around our ears, and with moderately acceptable living conditions.  Then what?  Then, we need to create a socioeconomic system that will function with a stable population.  I believe that such a thing might be possible.  There are some practices that might be used to facilitate just such a system.  I don't claim to have discovered all such practices, but I'll present here the ones that come to mind.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePractice 1:10x5 Page Background GIF ImageEstablish a financial system based entirely on actual money, not on paper, credit, or digits in a computer.  A variety of coins, of gold, silver, and copper, is the best option.  Don't legislate the values of the coins.  Identify them according to weight and assay.  The value of each kind of coin will define itself, according to The Law of Supply and Demand.  That value, as it automatically adjusts itself, will prevent the need for an endless increase in the money supply.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePractice 2:10x5 Page Background GIF ImageTerminate interest-bearing transactions.  They require that the amount of money must constantly increase.  Otherwise, it isn't possible to pay the interest.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePractice 3:10x5 Page Background GIF ImageRequire banks to retain 100% of deposits.  Fractional reserve banking is one of the more ruinous financial scams ever invented.  It forces money out of circulation and into the banks.  For money transactions to continue, the money supply must constantly increase.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePractice 4:10x5 Page Background GIF ImageEnd forced obsolescence and the throwaway economy.  They require an ever increasing rate of production, as "obsolete" things are thrown away.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePractice 510x5 Page Background GIF ImageRedesign all social welfare and entitlement programs so that the benefits provided are strictly limited to the resources available at the time that the benefits are provided.  Then, benefits can be provided without a continuously growing population.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA transition to such a stable socioeconomic system would be painful for some people but the resulting economy would be sustainable without the need for continuous population growth.  Of course, after we achieve the sustainable economy, we'll need to make sure that the population doesn't start growing again, or the whole thing will start over.  How are we going to do that?  God only knows.  It would probably take another miracle.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam —
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Covid crisis may be ending but the pressure to live through electronic mediation continues.  I don't know how things are with you, in Georgia, but here in Silicon Valley, the custom of carrying a smart phone at all times, the custom of doing all financial transactions in a paperless way, and the custom of using apps and QR codes all the time, are relentlessly advancing.  People don't seem to realize that these are procedures that make totalitarian control very easy, if not inevitable.  It seems that you can "sell" anything to the American public, if you say that it is for comfort and convenience.  I am resisting in small ways, mostly by dragging my feet on adopting new technology, but it's a bit overwhelming.  As soon as [relationship omitted] estate is settled, I am planning on moving out of Silicon valley, to some less high-tech crazed place.
—Sir Donald the Elusive
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePeople here don't seem to be any more savvy than what you reported from Silicon Valley.  They either can't or won't function without their smart phones.  I've joked, a time or two, that the next step is to have the smart phone circuitry tattooed directly onto a person's arm.  After that, a direct neural connection seems inevitable.  Such overuse of technology is spoofed in a TV commercial that I recorded.  It's available in the Videos section of The Frontiersman Website at the heading Progressive Insurance.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe risks of the current technology aren't widely mentioned by the government's news
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 July 2021

agencies, but you can find such information, if you watch for it.  I've accumulated a small collection of such information from documentaries, TV commercials, or other TV programs that I watched.  Some of that accumulated information is available in the Videos section of The Frontiersman Website.  A discussion of such information is available in A Question of Intelligence, in the January 2017 issue.  There, and elsewhere in my work, I've warned that, as examples, code controlled remotely accessible cars can be remotely hijacked or otherwise controlled, code controlled remotely accessible medical appliances, such as pacemakers, can be remotely used as lethal weapons, cell phones can be used as targets for missiles, and remotely accessible home appliances are potentially surveillance devices.   The kinds of technologies that have been developed form a network by means of which the government can potentially know where somebody is and what he's doing at all times.  The network can potentially be used to control somebody, detain him, disable him, or kill him.  The more that I've learned about such things, the more I'm inclined to wonder if Theodore John Kaczynski was right.  His essay, Industrial Society and It's Future, as published in the New York Times and in the Washington Post, is available in The Sovereign's Library.  It's listed in the Main Directory under the heading Articles, Essays, Reports, and Letters.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePutting some distance between yourself and the technology might be somewhat like putting some distance between yourself and the police state.  That being the case, it might be useful for you to read my article A Plan of Sorts, in the February 2013 issue.  Another item that might be useful is my essay Abandonment.  It's available in Pharos under the heading Essays About Liberty, Sovereignty, and the Doctrine of Social Contract.
—editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image... Now, to your June '21 Frontiersman, a slight correction in my letter to editor [page 3].  That black woman on "Big Brother", she actually said, "white lives don't matter until black lives matter first."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAnd as to your article, "white males not admitted" [page 2], TV commercials and programming is absolute bullshit.  If they do show a white man, he's either gay, and even if he's straight, has a black spouse, and regardless, they are portrayed as total buffoons.  Now, I could care less if people are in a mixed race relationship.  But if 62% of America is white, and 13% are black, every white person on TV is being falsely portrayed and like you said, why is it that white males are portrayed as deadbeat, beer-swilling nerd idiots, and every black person is portrayed as the savior of "cool"?  And you're right, why is a white woman portrayed as selfless, heroic as long as they're single w/kids or with a black dude?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageToday's TV is portraying white men as the scourge and source of all that is evil.  And you know what, my dad was born in Japan and my mom's parents immigrated here in the early 1940s.  So, my family had nothing to do with slavery in America, nor were we here when the black wall street killings happened in Tulsa, OK, so quit trying to hold all white dudes responsible.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe early KKK up in New York beat and murdered Irish and Italian people, the KKK were mostly Germans.  So where's the reparations for whites that were discriminated against?  How about the short stick Asians were dealt?  Racism is alive and well, and the groups out there pushing the black and gay agenda are just as racist as the KKK, proud boys, etc.  They aren't looking for equality, they're attempting an all out take over.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAny who, Sammy, you're in my prayers.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePeace and solidarity,
—S. H., a prisoner
PS
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWomen are attempting a take over too, as long as we men still give them the perks of being a woman, do all the hard labor, pay all the bills, protect and serve.  Otherwise, they're an independent woman who can do anything a man can do, only better.  Ha! 
—S. H., a prisoner
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome people might refuse to believe that white male exclusion really happens, but the videos that I put in The Frontiersman Website  in June are proof enough.  They're at the headings DW News and Worldchannel, in the Videos section.  They aren't just my opinion.  I didn't make them.  I just copied them.  They're actual examples from the broadcasts of a major, established network.
—editor
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•10x5 Page Background GIF ImageEnlightened government is a contradiction in terms.
•10x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's a wilderness survival tip.  If you're ever lost in the wilderness, then you can always find your way by remembering that the satellite dishes all point toward the south.
•10x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen we call a phenomenon magic, then we're admitting that we don't understand it.  When we call a phenomenon science, then we're pretending that we do understand it.
•10x5 Page Background GIF ImageSimplicity is a state of mind, a great virtue, and a lost art10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
July 2021 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root, and it may be that he who bestows the largest amount of time and money on the needy is doing the most by his mode of life to produce that misery which he strives in vain to relieve.
—from Walden-Essay on
Civil Disobedience
by Henry David Thoreau
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Signs That You're Getting Older
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYour children are beginning to look middle-aged.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGetting lucky means you find your car in the parking lot.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Intelligent Life
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by El Dorado Bob.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI worked with a woman who plugged her power strip back into itself and for the life of her, she couldn't understand why her system wouldn't turn on.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI needed to make a phone call while at the library.  When I asked for change at the counter, I was told that they didn't give change for the phone, only for the copy machine.  So I asked for change for the copy machine and she gave it to me.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy friend called his car insurance company to tell them to change his address from Texas to Vermont.  The woman who took the call asked where Vermont was.  As he tried to explain, she interrupted and said, "Look, I'm not stupid or anything, but what state is it in?"10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
Get down off the stove, Grandma!  You're too old to ride the range!
Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 July 2021

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue