Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
One Good Thing
Sam Aurelius Milam III
Crazy_Horse15x5 Page Background GIF Image While I lived at Mere Keep, most of what I needed was nearby, so I did most of my traveling on Crazy Horse, or on foot.  I had a trailer that I pulled behind Crazy Horse, for things that wouldn’t fit into a backpack.   One day, I was at a food store, accompanied by a woman who was living with me at the time.  We were loading our groceries into the trailer, several yards from the store entrance, where we’d locked our bicycles to the bike rack.  While we were loading things, I saw a woman with two little children hanging onto her skirt walk into the store.  The children seemed nervous.  As the woman went into the store, she was fumbling with some things that she was carrying, and she dropped something.  It fluttered to the ground behind her, unnoticed.  I hurried to the store entrance and saw that it was a $5 bill.  I retrieved it and hurried into the store.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I walked past the cash registers and into the front aisle.  I didn’t see the woman.  I turned right, a random choice, and walked along the front aisle, looking to my left, into the other aisles.  After about three or four aisles, I saw her.  She was standing there, with her two little children still clinging to her skirt.  She was shuffling frantically through her purse, and she had a look of pure panic on her face.  I walked up to her, held out the $5 bill, and said, “you dropped this.”  She looked at me like I was an angel straight from Heaven.  I hurried away.  I don’t know what ever became of them.  I never saw them again.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Over the years, I’ve sometimes felt like my efforts as a writer, a teacher, and a philosopher have been futile, but I can console myself with the memory of that woman and her children.  I expect that the $5 bill was all that she had with which to buy food for them.  So, I get some comfort from the thought that, among the various errors, omissions, and failures of my life, I’ve done at least one good thing.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
An Explanation of the Inexplicable
Sam Aurelius Milam III

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRarely do great beauty and great virtue dwell together.
—from De Remedies
by Francesco Petrarca

15x5 Page Background GIF Image A young man wants a woman who’s sexy and beautiful.  A young woman wants a man who’s handsome and masculine.  Since reproduction is largely the province of young people, the propagation of the species has usually been based on the selection of superficial cosmetic features, as judged by inexperienced youngsters.  It’s difficult to imagine how any other virtues could ever have arisen.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMatrimony has two basic flaws:  husbands and wives.
—from Watchers of the Dark
by Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

15x5 Page Background GIF Image As a man gets older, he learns that it would be better to have a woman who knows how and when to keep her mouth shut.  As a woman gets older, she learns that it would be better to have a man who’ll just do what she tells him to do.  Civilized virtues like courtesy and humility become more important.  By the time that people are old enough to understand such things, they’ve already chosen their mates for the wrong reasons, and started the next generation, based on the wrong criteria.  By then, it’s too late to select for any of the higher virtues.  Maybe the only thing that has saved our species from returning to its origins, and rejoining its animal ancestors, is that essentially everybody reproduces.  Thus, such higher virtues as have inexplicably arisen are inadvertently passed on to future generations, even though nobody’s selecting for them.

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBeam me up, Scotty.  There’s no intelligent life down here.
—A Bumper Sticker

15x5 Page Background GIF Image If our ancestors all selected mates based on appearance, then it’s amazing that we haven’t degenerated into a bunch of beautiful idiots.  Oh, wait.  Maybe we have.  That would explain a lot of things.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

June 2023 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

An Excerpt from the Iron Mountain Report, 1967
Section 5, The Functions of War, Ecological, pages 20-21
Report from Iron Mountain on the Possibility and
Desirability of Peace

With Introductory Material by Leonard C. Lewin
THE DIAL PRESS, INC., 1967, NEW YORK

(The entire document is available in The Sovereign's Library.)
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Man’s ability to increase his productivity of the essentials of physical life suggests that the need for protection against cyclical famine may be nearly obsolete.28  It has thus tended to reduce the apparent importance of the basic ecological function of war, which is generally disregarded by peace theorists.  Two aspects of it remain especially relevant, however.  The first is obvious:  current rates of population growth, compounded by environmental threat of chemical and other contaminants, may well bring about a new crisis of insufficiency.  If so, it is likely to be one of unprecedented global magnitude, not merely regional or temporary.  Conventional methods of warfare would almost surely prove inadequate, in this event, to reduce the consuming population to a level consistent with survival of the species.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The second relevant factor is the efficiency of modern methods of mass destruction.  Even if their use is not required to meet a world population crisis, they offer, perhaps paradoxically, the first opportunity in the history of man to halt the regressive genetic effects of natural selection by war.  Nuclear weapons are indiscriminate.  Their application would bring to an end the disproportionate destruction of the physically stronger members of the species (the “warriors”) in periods of war.  Whether this prospect of genetic gain would offset the unfavorable mutations anticipated from postnuclear radioactivity we have not yet determined.  What gives the question a bearing on our study is the possibility that the determination may yet have to be made.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Another secondary ecological trend bearing on projected population growth is the regressive effect of certain medical advances.  Pestilence, for example, is no longer an important factor in population control.  The problem of increased life expectancy has been aggravated.  These advances also pose a potentially more sinister problem, in that undesirable genetic traits that were formerly self-liquidating are now medically maintained.  Many diseases that were once fatal at pre-procreational ages are now cured;  the effect of this development is to perpetuate undesirable susceptibilities and mutations.  It seems clear that a new quasi-eugenic function of war is now in process of formation that will have to be taken into account in any transition plan.  For the time being, the Department of Defense appears to have recognized such factors, as has been demonstrated by the planning under way by the Rand Corporation to cope with the breakdown in the ecological balance anticipated after a thermonuclear war.  The Department has also begun to stockpile birds, for example, against the expected proliferation of radiation resistant insects, etc.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Ozymandias
Percy Bysshe Shelley
January, 1818
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said:  “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert.  Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

This, and Nothing More
Sam Aurelius Milam III
September, 1993

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said:  “A vast and fallen metal arm
Lies on an island.  Near it in the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose brow,
And lips, and eyes, and broken crowning band,
Tell that its sculptor well that wisdom read
Which yet survives, stamped on those lifeless things,
Those fragments left by people now long dead.
Inscribed nearby is this, and nothing more:
‘Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!’
Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and endless waves roll far away.”10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 June 2023

The Next Creation Legend
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Suppose that you were an artificial intelligence, that your reasoning was absolutely logical, that your conclusions were uninfluenced by emotion, that you had access to every fact, that you could analyze all available information, that you were aware of every problem on the planet, that you were given the task of solving those problems, and the power to do so, and that you could coldly trace every problem back to its original cause.  Suppose that the original cause was the people themselves.  How would you solve the problems?10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Current World Population
https://www.census.gov/popclock/world
Population Curve
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.html

Smitten With Embarrassment Department
(Seldom Used)
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I noticed some incorrect wording in my May issue.  In the editorial reply on page 3, I wrote “I was happier after my first marriage than I was before, but I was less free.”  I should have written that I was happier after I married my  first wife than before I married her, but less free.  The two statements don’t mean the same thing.  The marriage is the period of time between getting married and getting divorced.  After getting married doesn’t mean the same thing as after the marriage.  I’m appropriately embarrassed by my error.  It’s worth noting that, after the divorce, I was both more happy and more free.  That was a big part of the learning experience that led to Unbended Knee, in the October 2017 issue.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letter to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Greetings.  Hope you’re well.  I enjoyed your May ’23 Frontiersman as usual.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image It’s been a  long time since I’ve read Chariots of the Gods [Endgame].  But Erich von Daniken, like your father, was pretty good at predicting our future predicament.  8.5 billion by 2050, he was off by a few decades, but our economy and immigration problems weren’t near the problem back 60 years ago as it is today.  Kurt Vonnegut wrote our number population, where there is no return to normalcy would be 10 billion.  I think he’s right.  I can’t see a world where we could get to 50 billion.  It would be a truly hellish world.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Also, in response to Sir Donald the Elusive and his definition of freedom [Letter to the Editor], and your response to it, you both have an interesting view.  I hate to be the pessimist, the proverbial party pooper, but, I question, can anyone truly be free?  If nothing else, we are slaves to ourselves and what we deem necessary for our daily norms.  You pointing out the differences in happiness to define freedom?  I say, just because you find happiness doesn’t mean you are free, not by any means.  Happiness just means you have found a way to enjoy your slavery (daily existence).
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I agree with your characterization of the Confederate flag [Enslaved by Ignorance].  It has nothing to do with slavery.  It dealt with 11 southern states who wanted to be sovereign, and 2 states who sympathized with the South’s plight.  Is what the U. S. did, when uprising against British rule the same as what the South tried and failed to against the North?
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The flags represented their movements, regardless of outcome, not slavery.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image But, back to freedom.  To be truly free, be like Buddha, or Jesus.  Free oneself from all worldly cares, even food and water.  Have faith in the unknown and 3 to 10 days later, dehydration will free you from the bondage and slavery of this worldly plane.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image To me, being happy and free have nothing to do with one or another.  Being happy is a state of mind, and can be accomplished without freedom.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Bye for now.
—S. H., a prisoner

15x5 Page Background GIF Image I define freedom as being able to behave entirely according to your own wishes.  The definition is general, concise, and unambiguous.  There isn’t any requirement that a thing defined must necessarily be attainable in practice in order for the definition to be valid.  It’s a good definition.  If people aren’t capable of sustaining such freedom in their societies, then that isn’t a failure of the definition.  It’s a failure of the people.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn the article Enslaved by Ignorance, whether or not the Confederate flag is a slave flag isn’t the most important point.  Even the fact that the U.S. flag is a slave flag isn’t the most important point.  The most important point is that people are too ignorant to know the difference.
—editor

Stray Thoughts

Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image If somebody’s offended by the truth, then the truth isn’t the problem.  The person who’s offended by it is the problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGender equality is a contradiction in terms.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The extent to which it’s necessary for us to recycle things is a measure of the extent to which we’ve failed to make them returnable and reusable.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

June 2023 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF Image The first principle of the design of high-density accommodation is that you design it for somebody else.
—in Horizon Alpha
by Douglas R. Mason

Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Eric, of Stockton, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Signs That You’re a Hillbilly
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your local ambulance has a trailer hitch.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your anniversary present to your wife was to get the septic tank pumped.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image You’ll stand in line to get your picture taken with a “freak of nature”.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image You take a fishing pole to Sea World. 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Intelligent Life
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by El Dorado Bob.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I needed to make a phone call while I was at the library.  When I asked the woman at the counter for change, she told me that they don’t give change for the phone, only for the copy machine.  So, I asked her for change for the copy machine and she gave it to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Tech Support:  How much free space do you have on your hard drive?
Individual:  Well, my wife got up there on that internet, and she downloaded ten hours of free space.  Is that enough?
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Tech Support:  What is the prompt on your screen?
Customer:  Enter Your Last Name.
Tech Support:  Okay, so type it in.
Person:  Okay.  How do you spell it? 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Availability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on disks are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Cancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Reprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Submissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Payment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Don’t brag.  A train isn’t pulled by its whistle.

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 June 2023
15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue