Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
Little Bang Theory
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image There was a bang, and everything came flying out of it.  There were planets, stars, galaxies, and even clusters of galaxies.  Why not?  If something can come out of nothing, then anything can come out of nothing.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image So, the planets, stars, galaxies, and clusters of galaxies all went whizzing off in all directions, while the people on the planets studied archeology.  People?  Why not?  If planets, stars, galaxies, and even clusters of galaxies can come out of nothing, then people can come out of nothing.  If they studied archeology, then they found fossils.  Why not?  If planets, stars, galaxies, and even clusters — and so forth.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image As the planets, stars, galaxies, clusters of galaxies, people, and fossils all whizzed out into the ever-expanding universe, it all moved slower and slower, because it was all moving up a gravitational gradient.  That’s how gravity works.  Eventually, it all stopped.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Then, the planets, stars, galaxies, clusters of galaxies, people, and fossils all fell back toward the center, back toward the starting point, because that’s the way gravity works, all the way back to nothing, just like before the bang.  In just three generations of people, everything was gone.  After all, it wasn’t a big bang, just a little one.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image See other creation stories at Essays About Math and Science, in Pharos.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I enjoyed your March ’24 Frontiersman.  The 1st article about fathers or mothers determining the sex of a baby [To Be Deceived....], you’re viewpoint is an interesting way of looking at it, and true.  Anyway, I just wanted to write a quick letter to say thank you for the Frontiersman.  It continues to be a source of thoughtful reading.  Especially in the midst of the turmoil our government has become.  There is no good choice for the upcoming election.  Republicans are running a lying, convicted sex offender.  The Democrats are running someone who babysat Jesus, and both sides spending has put our country in the poorhouse, and an irreversible downward spiral.  You ought to run for Commander in Chief.  I’d vote for you....
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... Your article, “The Power of Babel” [April, page 1] is an interesting read.  Me, I’ve always been somewhat of an etymologist.  I like to research words in general.  Especially, archaic ones.  I like to find a word’s genesis, and note the change in its usage over time.  An example would be like you did in the word “fascism”, from the dictionary meaning from 1941 to 1991 [War of Words, December 1994].
Go on line and look up the newest 2020 Scrabble dictionary.  Holy shit has the new generations become verbally lazy.  “Za” is now considered a word, meaning “pizza”.  When it comes to proper usage of vocabulary, we’re going backwards, to where one day in the future, we will revert to “hoots” and “grunts” of a caveman bygone era.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Also, Sir Donald the Elusive’s rant on dictatorship was an interesting read [April, page 2].  His writing shows his age.  I feel like a curmudgeon myself by agreeing with him, but I’ll admit, my overly idealistic days are gone too.  Today’s generation is doomed none the less.  The 70’s, even most of the 80’s were great, as Archie would say, “Those were the days.”
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Have a good day,
—S. H., a prisoner

Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I want to encourage all prisoners in every state across America to file federal lawsuits against their prison to force them to comply with federal anti slavery laws to end prisoner slavery by forcing them to pay you at least minimum wage for every hour you work!  Let them know we no longer work for free!  We prisoners do not support slavery!  Slavery is very cruel and unusual punishment!  And I promise you a federal jury will agree and they will award you damages....
—Howie in the Max

Dear Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your articles about overpopulation have set me thinking about modern medical care.  I wonder if it is altogether good for humanity.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Of course, the vast majority of people want to live long, pain free lives, with all the attributes that are associated with a healthy, “normal”, human body.  Modern science has discovered wondrous techniques for prolonging life, and for curing or mitigating many physical problems.  However, modern medical science ig-
Arrow
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
May 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

nores (for the most part) the problems of overpopulation and over use of material resources.  The human race is headed for a crash, unless something is done to avert it.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Until about one hundred and seventy years ago, medical science was so undeveloped that doctors could do little to conserve life.  Even the most highly trained doctors were functioning within a framework of theories that we now know to be false.  Death rates were very high, and life expectancy was short, but somehow, people managed to enjoy their lives, and to accomplish many things.  The possibility of early or sudden death was simply accepted, as a natural part of life.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image If modern people were asked to sacrifice high-tech medical care, they would be horrified, and anyone who proposed such a thing would be accused of advocating mass murder, or genocide, or maybe both.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I know that the desire to preserve one’s life appears to be a natural instinct.  However, I believe that how the instinct is expressed is shaped or channeled by cultural programming.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image For example, freeways are hazardous, and every year hundreds of people are killed in transportation accidents, but we calmly tolerate freeways.  In California, most public buildings display signs proclaiming that the buildings contain cancer causing substances.  These signs are routinely ignored.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I can imagine a world in which the use of high-tech medicine was restricted to young people.  This restriction would not be enforced by state punishments of any type.  Instead it would be enforced by new social norms of taste and manners.  People who were past say, fifty, would be scorned and ostracized if they used high-tech medicine to prolong their lives (absent some compelling social reason).
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Such a cultural change would cause a slow down in the rate of resource depletions — at least that’s what I think.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image What do you think?
—Sir Donald the Elusive

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding your comment about people making accusations of genocide, both the definition of the word and the understanding of the idea have been corrupted.  Properly defined, genocide is the complete extermination of an entire population or culture.  It’s the same usage as with murder.  That is, you can’t call it murder if the victim survives.  In that case, it’s only attempted murder.   Similarly, you can’t call it genocide if some members of the population survive.  Consequently, genocide is rare because there are almost always survivors.  Even the Nazi Holocaust wasn’t genocide, but only attempted genocide.  It was an atrocity, but not genocide, because some of the Jews, and their culture, survived.  An atrocity, however bad,  isn’t necessarily genocide.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding the problem of resource depletion, even at the present level of our population, the consequences of overpopulation are accumulating faster than they can be resolved.  Thus, even if we were able to stabilize our population at it’s present level, that still wouldn’t solve the problem.  I believe that we’re not going to solve the problem at all.  I believe that, when things get bad enough, then the problem will solve itself.  Of course, doomsday has been predicted before and didn’t happen as predicted.  Maybe we’ll be lucky again.  Maybe not.  I don’t know.  Anyway, here’s my best guess at the timing, starting with the King’s College London estimate that I mentioned in Survival Instinct, in the September 2023 issue.
Date
May 2025
May 2026
November 2026
February 2027
February 2028

World Population Estimate
09 billion
10 billion
11 billion
12 billion
50 million  (m, not b)

Worldometer Population Clock
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
U.S. Census Bureau Population Clock

https://www.census.gov/popclock/world
Typical Population Curve
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.html

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFinally, a society in which particular groups of people would be excluded from certain kinds of medical services, by being “scorned and ostracized”, sounds a lot like societies that we already have.  I don’t know how to solve the problem but maybe somebody else will think of something better.  Also, see Ravin’ Evermore, in Pharos.
—editor

Additional Reading

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDarwin’s Wolf, Frontiersman, February 2021
http://frontiersman.org.uk/2021/2021-02/2021-02.html#Darwin-s_Wolf
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSurvival Instinct, Frontiersman, September 2023
http://frontiersman.org.uk/2023/2023-09/2023-09.html#Survival_Instinct
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRavin’ Evermore, available in Pharos
http://pharos.org.uk/Ravings_Essays/Ravin_Evermore/Ravin_Evermore.html
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Additional Overpopulation Articles, available in The Frontiersman Website
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.htm#Articles 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 May 2024

REAL Women With REAL Authority
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Back when I was still working as a nuclear engineer at GE, in San Jose, California, I had an account at the credit union.  I walked into the building one day, and told the teller that I wanted to withdraw $15 from my account.  She didn’t exactly smirk, but she did seem to be mightily happy to tell me that the rules wouldn’t allow it.  She told me, with a smile that wasn’t exactly vindictive, that the minimum allowable withdrawal was $25.  I asked why I couldn’t decide for myself how much to withdraw from my own account.  Her smile was just slightly more frosty as she assured me, with what seemed to be thinly veiled glee, that a $15 withdrawal wasn’t allowed.  I submitted to her restrictions and withdrew $25.  She did a bit of paperwork, handed me my $25, looked smugly at the next person in line, and said “Next, please.”  I said, “Wait a minute.  I’m not through yet.”  She looked nonplussed.  Not quite annoyed, just nonplussed.  I told her that I wanted to deposit $10 into my account.  She became annoyed.  She grimly took my deposit and gave me a receipt.  I walked out with my $15 withdrawal.  The credit union was a bastion of economic freedom and the teller was a real woman, with real authority.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Many years ago, while I was still living at Mere Keep, I visited some bookstore, the name of which I’ve long since forgotten.  I  noticed a door to a dimly lit back room.  The door was labeled “Adults Only”.  There was a woman nearby, stacking books on a little table with wheels.  I asked her if they ever had problems with kids trying to sneak into the room.  She sighed sadly, rolled her eyes, and said that it happened all the time.  I told her that they were having so much trouble because they had the wrong label on the door.  She looked annoyed and, with a slight sneer, asked me sarcastically if I could suggest something better.  I told her that kids wouldn’t be even remotely interested in the place if it was labeled Actuarial Archives.  She sniffed, turned her back on me, and continued stacking books.  The book store was a bastion of creative thought and the woman was a real woman, with real authority.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image A few years ago, I walked into the local library.  I didn’t have any use for the library then, and I still don’t.  I was there to carry a heavy load of books for my mother, who was in poor health.  I stood and waited while my mother and the librarian swapped books, pleasantries, and gossip.  Somebody said something that reminded me of a blonde joke.  I started to tell the joke and the librarian suddenly turned on me, snarled, grew fangs, and eyes snapping, declared that she didn’t allow blonde jokes in the library.  I don’t remember the color of her hair, but the library was a bastion of free speech, and the librarian was a real woman, with real authority.10x5 Page Background GIF Image  Male Symbol
Reality Check
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Many black people whose ancestors were brought to America and forced into slavery are now living in America.  Many black people whose ancestors were not brought to America and forced into slavery are now living somewhere in Africa.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Injustices in America should be addressed, when possible, and when they actually are injustices, but the tragic circumstances of those black people who were brought to America and forced into slavery have turned out to be a blessing for their present-day descendants.  That is, instead of living in Africa, those descendants are living in America, which is widely alleged to be the best place to live on the entire planet.  Whether it actually is or not is a matter of opinion but, nevertheless, people are struggling, enduring severe hardships and, in some cases, even dying, trying to get to America.  So, what’s the problem with those black people who’re demanding reparations?  Reparations for what?  Reparations for living in America?  Sure, they still have some difficulties as a legacy of slavery.  Everybody has problems and grievances.  Every population has a past but at least they’re living in America.  Maybe some of those black people who’re living in Africa, the ones that I mentioned in the first paragraph, might like to trade places with the ones who’re living in America, and not demand reparations.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’m not proposing some stupid repatriation scheme.  I’m suggesting that black people in America should reconsider their situations, their priorities, and their agendas.  They could stop asking for free handouts.  Instead, they could turn their efforts toward addressing injustices that really are injustices.  There are plenty of those.  Things are tough all over.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
It’s A Sure Sign of Something
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image On the morning edition of BBC World News America, on April 9, Nada Tawfik referred to the recent solar eclipse as an astrological phenomenon.  Actually, it was an astronomical phenomenon.  Hopefully, she understands the difference.  A video clip showing her comment is available in the videos section of The Frontiersman Website.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

May 2024 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF Image Today, one bag of groceries produces two bags of trash.
—Robert Orben

Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Eric, of Stockton, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Signs that You’re a Hillbilly
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image When asked for ID, you show your belt buckle.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Your idea of a seven course meal is a bucket of KFC and a six-pack.10x5 Page Background GIF Image Infinity Symbol

Church Jokes
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Marilyn, of Bingham County, Idaho.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Attending a wedding for the first time, a little girl asked her mother, “Why is the bride dressed in white?”  The mother replied, “Because white is the color of happiness.  Today is the happiest day of her life.”  The child then asked, “So why is the groom wearing black?”
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Three boys in the school yard were bragging about their fathers.  The first boy said, “My dad scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, calls it a poem, and they give him $50.”  The second boy said, “That’s nothing.  My dad scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, calls it a song, and they give him $100.”   The third boy said, “I got you both beat.  My dad scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, calls it a sermon, and it takes eight people to collect all the money!”10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Availability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on disks are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Cancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Reprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Submissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Payment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 May 2024
15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue