15x15 White Space GIF Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
Notice:
This issue of the Frontiersman contains contact information that is out-of-date.  For current contact information, click here.
Eagle 3

Frontiersman, September 2006
5x5 Page Background GIF Image
Why I Don't Read People Magazine Anymore
Jim Sullivan
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI've enjoyed reading People Magazine since it was spun off from Time Magazine in March of 1974.  That's over three decades now.  And I'll admit that such activity, for me, has been one of life's 'guilty pleasures.'
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI avidly read the human oriented, 72-page periodical because it had several stories of diverse individuals not only from the world of entertainment but also from the fields of business, sports, media, academia, and the culture-at-large.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe first issue had pieces on Queen Elizabeth, Sam Ervin of Watergate fame, and Air Force Major Thomas T. Hart, one of over 1,000 missing servicemen in Viet Nam.  Marina Oswald, whose husband had been President Kennedy's assassin, was featured, along with words from The Exorcist novelist/author William Peter Blatty.  Even Alexander Solzhenitsyn's novel, The First Circle, was excerpted.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageTurning the photo-laden pages of People Magazine to find brief, interesting stories and pictures about those men and women about whom I had learned in books, magazines, newspapers, or on TV and radio, in movies, and, in more recent years, on videos, was a real pleasure.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBut now, People Magazine seems to have become almost exclusively the publicity arm of Hollywood and the young men's and women's fashion industries.  Week after week, the same celebrities, Paris Hilton, Jennifer Aniston, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, George Clooney, Christina Aguilera, Brad Pitt, Luke Perry, Gwyneth Paltrow, and J-Lo appear on People's slick, shiny pages.  These same folks tend to show up more than once in each issue, too.  Yes, these good looking men and attractive women are fun to see and read about occasionally, like maybe once a month or every six weeks or so.  However, the stylishly dressed, so-called entertainers, or stars, aren't all that accomplished, pleasant to read about, or important enough to see photos of, page after page, week after week.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn short, though a few people are depicted that aren't celebrities, there's not enough of them to draw a, dare I write it, discriminating reader to the publication.  People magazine has become just another entertainment fan and fashion magazine.  And it's become a publication fit primarily for junior high school kids to read.  That's okay as far as it goes.  They need material to peruse, too.  People Magazine just shouldn't pass itself off as anything else.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNow, I do enjoy movie, book, and TV reviews in print.  But even they pale in People Magazine when all the celebrity fluff has to be gotten through, waded in, and/or overcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI have felt kind of the same way, too, about some other so-called popular, big name, slick magazines found on the overflowing magazine racks at book stores like Barnes and Noble and Borders.  Leading in my parade of disgruntlement and discontent, besides People, are Vanity Fair, Esquire, and GQ Quarterly.  I just don't enjoy reading them anymore.  I even feel a bit of resentment building up if and when I do, trying to give them yet another chance, flip through their pages.  I know they run some good fiction and nonfiction.  But the photos they tend to print are of millionaires or, gulp, billionaires at annual, exclusive gala parties or at some other elite gatherings.  And that tends to irritate me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI still enjoy plenty of magazines like The Nation, Progressive, Mother Jones, Harper's, Atlantic, and the New Yorker.  What bugs me the most about magazines like People is the celebrities in them.  Many of those individu-

Arrow
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.
For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net.

September 2006 Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net
 Also see Pharos at http://pharos.pricelesshost.net.
              Page 1

als are on the pages for no apparent reason.  Sure, someone who has been in ten or more movies may deserve to be in there.  But what about the standouts like Nelson Mandela, Cesar Chavez, union leaders, historical figures, academics, philosophers, poets, physicists, chemists, biologists, physicians, dentists, orthodontists, plastic surgeons, who are doing life saving and/or life enhancing work for the sick who are dying, the indigent who had the misfortune of being born with a clef pallet or some other deformity in Brazil or in Africa, writers, jurists, and lawyers who are doing pro bono defense work for poor clients?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhat I'd like to see in People Magazine are more folks from various arenas of interest that young people and I can call role models, not just glamorous movie and TV personalities.  As to fashions, a little goes a long way.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAs far as those other magazines (e.g. Vanity Fair) go, obviously I'm not into those publications at all.  I'd make the same complaints about them as I have for People Magazine.  There's way too much celebrity flaunting and far too little coverage of those in our world, past and present, who really matter in the scheme of life and who deserve to be noted.  Let's stop being so shallow and give more publicity to and recognition of worthy personalities.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Cocklebur Capitalism
Sam Aurelius Milam III
cocklebur.... n.1.  Any of several annual weeds of the genus Xanthium in the composite family, having small seed-like fruits enclosed within a prickly bur that clings readily to clothing or animal fur.  2.  A bur of this plant.
— The American Heritage Dictionary of the
English Language
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhen I was a child, my father told me a story about an entrepreneur who decided to build a shoe factory in a small South American country.  After the factory was in operation, the entrepreneur discovered that he couldn't sell the shoes because nobody in the region wore shoes.  I don't know how plausible that is but that's the way the story was told.  So, the entrepreneur had a product without a local market.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe entrepreneur thought about it for a while and figured out a way to solve his problem.  He went back to Texas and arranged to have a truck-load of cockleburs harvested and transported to the vicinity of his factory.  After they were there, he hired a pilot and an airplane and had the cockleburs distributed all around the region.  Within two years, he was selling all of the shoes that his factory could produce.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't know if there's any truth to the tale but the point is well made.  That point relates to the proper function of capitalism.  That proper function is to provide things that people need.  Capitalism, as we know it today, went astray a long time ago.  Today, the people who control capitalism don't make a product to satisfy a need.  They create a product and then manipulate people to create a perceived need for the product.  Such coercion of people and manipulation of their desires is a mockery of legitimate capitalism.  Worse than present day capitalism, however, is the stupidity of the customers who allow themselves to be duped by it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
A White Man's Notes
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA Dose of Her Own Medicine — Women often claim that it's "OK" for a man to cry.  As soon as a man does, however, a woman will either ridicule him or accuse him of attempting to manipulate her — exactly the same reason that women cry in front of men.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReasonable — When a woman complains that a man isn't "being reasonable" what she really means is that he's refusing to do something her way.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageREAL Baggage — Many women claim to have been "molested" when they were children.  A frequent feature of such women is that they wear the alleged molestation like a big badge that proclaims, "I was molested, so I can be as much of a bitch as I want and you'll just damned well have to put up with it!"  I didn't molest her.  Why take it out on me?  And women accuse us of punishing them for the bad behavior of our past companions.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Please use the enclosed envelope to send a contribution.  I prefer cash.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.

Page 2  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 September 2006

Page 3 ImageForever Gone
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn my article Abuses and Usurpations (February, pages 2 and 3), I demonstrated that American Airlines Flight 77 didn't hit the Pentagon.  One has to wonder where it went.  If it had crashed anywhere on land, then the crash would eventually have been discovered.  After five years, no such crash has been discovered.  Thus, it didn't crash on land.  The only other possibilities are that it crashed into the ocean or that it landed somewhere.  Muslim hijackers wouldn't have done either of those two things.  They would have tried to hit a target on land.  So, the airplane wasn't hijacked by Muslims.  It was hijacked by other parties for other reasons.  Those hijackers either crashed it into the ocean or landed it somewhere.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIf Flight 77 was falsely reported to have crashed into the Pentagon, then that calls into question the reported circumstances of American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175.  There are various eye-witness accounts and video clips that contradict the official reports.  For example, a Fox Television reporter was a block away from the subway in Brooklyn shortly before the South Tower was hit.  He saw the airplane that was reportedly Flight 175 just seconds before it hit the South Tower.  He described it as having a circular blue logo on the front of the plane and no windows.  He said that it didn't look like a commercial airliner.  He said that the airplane was very low when he saw it.  In fact, Boeing manufactured a tanker/transport version of the 767, with no windows, for the air force.  That could well have been what the Fox reporter saw.  There are various video clips of that airplane just prior to its impact on the South Tower.  Some of them show a large object on the underside of the airplane.  Flight 175 lacked any such large object attached to it's underside.  Indeed, it would have been impossible for Flight 175 to have taken off from Boston Logan International Airport without such an object being noticed.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSome video footage shows a flash immediately prior to the impact of the airplane on the South Tower.  The only available video footage of the impact on the North Tower, filmed by French film makers Jules and Gedeon Naudet, shows a similar flash.  There isn't any obvious explanation as to why passenger airliners would produce such a flash prior to impact.  It seems more likely that the towers were hit by airplanes that had been equipped with explosives and proximity detonators.  At least one eye witness to the impact on the North Tower declared vehemently that it wasn't an American Airlines airplane that she had seen.  Such eye-witness accounts and video evidence suggest that neither American Airlines Flight 11 nor United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the World Trade Center Towers.  Instead, they appear to have been either landed somewhere else or crashed into the ocean.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI believe that the airliners were hijacked by members of an unnamed agency within the U.S. government.  The deeds were done to promote two agendas.  One agenda was to foment hatred of people and governments in the Middle
Arrow

Page 3

East, greasing the skids for hostilities in that part of the world.  Another agenda was to incite jingoism in this country, paving the way for additional draconian legislation and intrusive administrative polices, such as the so-called Patriot Act.  It's likely that the airliners were hijacked remotely, exposing the agents to the minimum amount of risk.  In my article Remote Possibility (April, pages 2 and 3), I demonstrated the feasibility of such remote hijacking.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's unlikely that the agents crashed the airplanes into the ocean.  There's too much risk that the crashes would be observed or that floating debris would be discovered.  It's more likely that the airplanes were landed somewhere.  After all, airplanes were being landed like there was no tomorrow anywhere that a place could be found to land them.  Nobody would have thought it unusual to see passenger airliners being landed at any airfield capable of receiving them.  Also, one airliner looks pretty much like any other from a distance.  The hijacked airliners would have been landed at carefully selected and carefully prepared locations.  Most of the passengers were probably still alive at that time.  What happened to them?  From the point of view of the unnamed agency, it would be intolerable for any of those people to ever be seen again, either alive or dead.  So, 221 witnesses to the activities of the unnamed agency have disappeared and must remain missing forever.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn my article Leonard Lake and Charles Ng:  Disposal Camp, I claimed that Leonard Lake and Charles Ng had been operating a disposal camp for an unnamed agency of the U.S. government.  Their job was to dispose of people for that agency.  I believe that their camp wasn't the only one in existence.  I believe that some of those other camps were very busy for the next few days after September 11, 2001.  The hijacked airliners were landed, the people were transferred onto buses or into vans, driven to disposal camps, and executed.  Their bodies were processed for disposal.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe lucky ones were the 44 people who died when United Airlines Flight 93 crashed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Letter to the Editor
Dear Sam:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn your Leonard Lake/Charles Ng series, you haven't said much about when the police first started investigating the ranch, how long the investigation took, or who the officers were.  According to your sources, when did the FBI become involved?  Which of the investigating officers testified at the eventual trial?  It may be that you intend to cover this aspect of the case in a later article.  One comment on the list of victims:  it's interesting that authorities have been unable to identify many of the remains.  Are the alleged victims really dead?  On the other hand, the fact that none of the missing people have been heard of since the eighties strongly implies that they are dead.  One has the impression that Leonard and Charles murdered almost anyone who had close contact with them.  Was there any evidence that the victims were murdered in a cultish or ritualistic way?

— Don C.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't know when the police began digging at the Wilseyville site, how long the investigation took, which officers were involved, which officers testified, or when the FBI became involved.  Those kinds of things aren't relevant to my theory.  In most cases, the authorities haven't determined either the identities or the number of the victims.  They don't know which missing persons were victims and which ones are missing for other reasons.  So far as I'm aware, the murders weren't cultish.  Ritualistic?  I don't know.
— editor

Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image(911) GES-TAPO — Today, it isn't possible to call for emergency medical or fire assistance without also calling the cops.  Why not?  It doesn't have to be that way.  They could have established two numbers.  Call 911 for emergency assistance and 912 for the cops.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHere's why it's important.  When you "voluntarily" call for the cops, then you've invited them into your situation.  They can stroll in and look around at their leisure.  They don't need a warrant.  Whatever they find can be used against you.  A disabled neighbor died here some time ago.  Somebody called 911.  The cops arrested his caregiver and spent half a day searching his house "for drugs".10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Page 4  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 September 2006

Scratch Tape:  Disney's War Years
Reviewed by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhile watching a recording from a collection of old videocassettes back in June of this year, I came across a documentary about Walt Disney's wartime cartoons.  The copy that I viewed might be incomplete, since it lacks both opening and closing credits.  It's presented in two parts, Disney's War Years and An Officer and a Duck.  It's a short documentary, only about 50 minutes long, and consists mostly of lovely old Donald Duck wartime cartoons.1  I saw again some things that I remember fondly from my childhood.  There was the time that Donald Duck painted a large cannon with invisible paint.  There was the time that he mistakenly believed himself to have been cut in half.  I enjoyed watching the old cartoons again.  Of course, they aren't of much current political significance.  Why, then, am I doing this review?
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe reason for this review is a short statement by Jack Hannah that was presented during the first 70 seconds of the documentary.  Jack Hannah was an animator, storyman,2 and director for Walt Disney at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Here's the statement.
The day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, uh, I was quite anxious to get to the studio to see what the situation was going to be, uh, and I found utter chaos.  Everybody was in the same uh frame of mind I was, confused, and didn't know what was going to happen, and uh, we didn't know that Walt was uh making, uh making arrangements already to do uh training films for the army and navy but I'm sure this had been planned earlier.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhy would Walt Disney have been interested, prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, in making training films for the army and navy?  He had plenty of work with Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Wind in the Willows, Donald Duck cartoons, and a host of other animated characters.  Was it simple patriotism?  Then why weren't his people aware of it?  He should have been brainstorming his ideas with his staff.  Here's another consideration.  The war was controversial.  Prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, there was a healthy anti-war movement in the country.  The smart business position would have been to avoid the controversy and, instead, stick to making the cartoons that people wanted to see.  Surely such business alternatives would have been discussed with members of the staff.  I can only speculate but I'd expect that a competent businessman would do the safe thing and stick to the cartoons.  However, there's another possibility.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThere's long been a suspicion in this country that people both in and out of the government had advance knowledge of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  The statement by Jack Hannah suggests that Walt Disney was one of those people.  Such advance knowledge provides a reason why he would have already been planning the training films, prior to the attack.  He would have known that wartime restrictions might limit his business.  He would have expected the wartime draft to deplete his work force, which it did.  Major animation projects were suspended for the duration of the war.  Training films and propaganda kept his business afloat.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGranted, the statement by Jack Hannah doesn't prove that Walt Disney knew in advance about the attack.  It doesn't even prove that anybody at all knew in advance about the attack.  However, the statement does add to the body of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence in favor of such a belief.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Old Timers' Lore
Recalled by Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReliable — Friends help you move.  REAL friends help you move bodies.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageQuality Inspection — Before you propose marriage to a woman, drag her down to the creek, strip her naked, push her into the water, and then dunk her under about 12 times.  After all of the padding and the makeup are gone, you can take a good long look at her to see if you really want to marry her.  You'll also learn a lot about her temper and her vocabulary.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMud — Don't wrestle with a pig.  You'll both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

^ 
Donald Gets Drafted, The Vanishing Private, Sky Trooper, Fall Out Fall In, The Old Army Game, and Home Defense
 ^ 
Not storyperson, ladies, storyman.

Page 5

Frontiersman 
1510 North 22nd Drive
Show Low, Arizona   85901 

Only illegal things are
smuggled.  Therefore,
the best way to end
smuggling is to
decriminalize the things
that are being smuggled.
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  Sir James the Bold;  SantaClara Bob;  Lady Jan the Voluptuous;   and Lord Jeffrey the Studious.
— editor

Buck Hunter Shoots Off His Mouth
Dear Buck
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAre you afraid of Purgatory?

— Sanctified Faithful
Dear Sanctified Faithful
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageNo.  I just eat a lot of prunes and don't worry about it.

Lines to Make You Smile
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Sir Donald the Elusive.
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
A picture is worth a thousand words but it uses three thousand times the memory.
Ham and eggs:  A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
The trouble with life is that there's no background music.
The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving this newsletter, print REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER above your name and address, cross out your name and address, and return the newsletter.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.  You can also cancel by letter, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other method that gets the message to me.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack Issues — Back issues or extra copies of this newsletter are available upon request.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby granted to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  Please note that I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must go to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I solicit letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words, but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.  I give credit for all items printed unless the author specifies otherwise.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you care to make a voluntary contribution, you may do so.  The continued existence of the newsletter will depend, in part, on such contributions.  I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  For PayPal payments, use frontiersman@pharos.pricelesshost.net.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.  In case anybody is curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 6  Frontiersman, 1510 North 22nd Drive, Show Low, Arizona  85901
 September 2006

Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue