Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
Refuge
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBack when I was young, from about 1958 until about 1964, I spent a lot of time hiking around on a big piece of vacant land that was adjacent to my home in southeast Bexar County, Texas.  It was a large piece of land, about 20 square miles.  That's almost 13,000 acres.  It was roughly rectangular in shape and was bounded by three country roads and one two-lane country highway.  So far as I ever discovered, the land was devoid of humans, except at the edges.  There were small communities at the intersections of the roads and there were occasional houses around the perimeter of the piece of land, adjacent to the roads.  Beyond the back yards of those houses, the land was empty.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAll of that land was "privately owned" and, in previous years, I suppose that it had probably been used for farms and pastures.  It seems to me, as well as I can recall the situation, that it had been overused, nearly to depletion.  Although it had been long unused at the time of my explorations, it was still divided into square or rectangular regions of either bare, eroded ground, or scrubby growth.  Such fences as remained were in disrepair.  If there were any farm lanes, then I don't remember seeing them.  I was aware, at the time, that I was trespassing, so I usually listened for engine noises and tried to stay close to the cover of the scrubby regions.  I never encountered anybody.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI recall that the land was dry and consisted mostly of depleted and eroding soil, and bare, dry gullies.  It might have been at the beginning of a long, slow return to a somewhat natural condition.  I don't know.  It was, at that time, home to mostly mesquite trees, prickly pear, rattlesnakes, a few mockingbirds, lizards, ants, and some jackrabbits.  I recall that there were also buzzards.  Once, I saw a chaparral bird.  That was such an unusual event that I went right home and told Poppa about it.  I should also mention the possibility of a small population of very large and very elusive canids.  About that, I can only speculate.  In that regard, see my article Sightings, in the February 2018 issue.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDuring the years of my explorations, nobody travelled there except for me, occasionally accompanied by my brother or my sister and, usually, by my dog, Wolf.  During one such exploration, during which I was accompanied by my brother, we discovered the remains of an ancient, abandoned farmstead.  It was far and away the furthest that we'd ever ventured into the region.  As well as I can recall, it must have been near to the very center of the piece of land, a long distance from any people or habitations.  The old house appeared to have been abandoned for many decades.  While we were exploring the place, we climbed up onto a pile of old lumber.  Fortunately, the lumber supported our weight long enough for us to notice that it was covering a very deep, dug well, and to climb back off of it.  By dug, as opposed to drilled, I mean that the well was plenty wide enough that we could easily have fallen into it.  We dropped a rock into it and counted several seconds before we heard it thump at the bottom.  Nobody knew where we were.  If we'd fallen into the well, then we might not have been located for weeks, if ever.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDuring my explorations, I learned various things about the region.  One observation was that there weren't any stickers growing there.  Some people might view that as trivial but, in nature, few things are trivial.  It was interesting to me because the local houses were mostly surrounded by sticker patches, which were an ever-present peril.  Walking barefoot, outside, was absolutely not done.  I still don't know why the stickers grew only around the houses.  I'm not necessarily claiming that there was some kind of mystical significance, like karmic burrs under our saddles, but I suppose that such a thing is possible.  I don't necessarily believe in karma and such things, but I don't necessarily scoff at them, either.  I can only speculate.  Whatever the case, it's a fact that the stickers grew only around human habitations.  They didn't grow in the abandoned land.  It was a mystery to me at the time, and it remains a mystery to me to this day.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI haven't been back to that piece of land for almost 60 years.  I expect that, by now, it's probably covered with concrete, asphalt, ticky-tacky, and people but, back then, it was an idyllic refuge for me from my various trials and tribulations at home, and from the stickers.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

December 2020 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

Transient Rights and Unalienable Wrongs
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePolitical correctness, the current version of imposed secular orthodoxy, is acquiring a religious level of inviolability.  It even has its own collection of secular heresies:  sexism, racism, homophobia, and so forth.  Its ever-expanding religiosity brings to mind the Roman Catholic Church of yore, and the fear that a new Inquisition looms in our future.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWhether or not a person has unpopular beliefs is his own business, and nobody else's.  Each person should have as much right to his beliefs, no matter how unpopular they might be, as does every other person.  If he doesn't have such a right, then nobody does.  In that case, all people will be permitted to have only approved beliefs.  So, if somebody is sexist,  homophobic, anti-Semitic, misogynistic, racist, or anything else, then he shouldn't be penalized or punished merely for his beliefs.  It might be appropriate to punish someone who actually causes harm — provided that the person who claims to have been harmed bears the burden of proof — but it is never appropriate to punish someone merely because his beliefs are unpopular.  In a free society, there must always be that clear and distinct understanding of the difference between belief and behavior.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageRegarding the self-appointed enforcers of the new orthodoxy, no matter how righteous or holy such an activist might believe himself to be, he is never justified in compelling other people, merely for the sake of his own worthy cause, by force and against their wills, to behave according to his beliefs and expectations.  To paraphrase Lloyd Biggle, Jr., fundamental to any free society is the right of any member thereof to be wrong.  No free society has ever retained its freedom after the abolishment of this principle.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Brandeis' Warning
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageExperience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent.  Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers.  The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.

—Justice Louis D. Brandeis
Olmstead v. U.S.
277 U.S. 438 (1928) (dissenting)

Letters to the Editor
Hi:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou might say that Buddhism is a way of life & not an organized religion [Referring to It Would Take a Miracle, October issue, page 1].  The fact that they have never made war against anyone is still true, religion or not.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you for your mentally provocative work with the Frontiersman, which I always look forward to reading. 
 —J.M., Victorville, California
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe distinction that you've noticed is interesting.  It suggests to me that we need to consider some definitions and usages.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI don't know much about Buddhism.  I don't know if that belief system includes God or gods.  Anyway, there is an accepted sense of the word religion that lacks any reference to God or gods.  An example is, "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith".  That's from Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary, 2011.  It's important to note that the sense of the word is given in a separately numbered entry and, thus, it isn't related to the other senses of the word listed under the same heading, religion. 
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageI spent some time looking through my collection of old dictionaries.  The earliest occurrence that I found of the sense of the word in which we're interested, or at least something close to it, was in the Thorndike Century Senior Dictionary, 1941.  It was, "matter of conscience.  She makes a religion of keeping her house neat."  That definition is similar in principle to the 2011 definition because it defines a sense of the word religion that isn't connected to God or gods.  That sense of the word, in Thorndike as in Webster, is a separate, numbered entry, thus distinguished from the other senses of the word under the same heading.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt suggests to me that we need a new word in the language, a word to designate systems of beliefs toward which people have a religious kind of dedication, but without any involvement of God or gods.  Maybe such a word already exists but, if it does, then I'm not aware of it.
—editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThank you for your continuous fodder for thought....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageFYI on the COVID-19 front, Big Brother CDCR's failure to oversee virus spread, and continued bureaucratic hubris, I offer:
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn May 19, 2020, CDCR reported:  Out of 35 prisons 6 reported COVID-19 infected prisoners with a total of 862 and 6 dead.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSix months later, on October 30, 2020, CDCR reported:  Out of 35 prisons only 1 prison reported no COVID-19 infections (that prison is Tracy which is closing), with a total of 15,825 infected prisoners and 78 dead.
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2020

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSHAME ON YOU!  CDCR.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn October 20, 2020, the Court of Appeal of California, First District filed an order and opinion on rampant virus spread and death at San Quentin prison, and system wide.  In the opinion the judges wrote:  "...respondents' (CDCR) failure to immediately adopt and implement measures designed to eliminate double celling, dormitory style housing and other measures to permit physical distancing between inmates is morally indefensible and constitutionally untenable."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAfter a brief history of what the Federal Courts, state legislators and university experts, have reported to solve overcrowding in prisons especially with the elderly the judges wrote:  "...refusal to consider ... expedited release as part of its COVID-19 response is at odds with judicial, legislative and academic recognition of this correlation."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDOUBLE SHAME ON YOU!  CDCR.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe Appeals Court ordered 50% reduction of San Quentin's population with a lot of shaming of CDCR.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageOn October 20, 2020, Associated Press article quoted CDCR "We disagree with the ruling but have yet decided if we will comply or appeal."  Their hubris is alive and well.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageWaiting for COVID-19, I remain,
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSincerely yours,
—R.O., a prisoner
Dear Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHello, greetings, I pray your health and spirits are good....
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIn response to your November 2020 Frontiersman in your letters to the editor, "F.L. a prisoner", let me respond to what he said.  F.L., actually, Sam is right, 6 million Jews dying isn't a myth.  If nothing else, the Nazis were tedious record keepers.  The tattooed numbers on Jews forearms were for, like the department of corrections for identification and record keeping.  If you ignore "hard-line Jews" and simply review the records the Nazis left, the count is between 6 and 7 million deaths.  But, I agree with Sam, they should quit seeking sympathy.  They [the Nazis] killed twice as many Soviets, and over 10 million allied troops and citizens (France, U.K., and U.S.A.), the total count the Nazis killed is over 29 million.  So 6 million Jews, although a lot, is paltry when compared to the total number....
—S.H., a prisoner

Cowboy Boots
Author Unknown
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageA kindergarten student asked his teacher to  help him put on his cowboy boots.   She could see why he needed help.  Even with her pulling and him pushing, by the time they got the boots on, she'd worked up a sweat.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe teacher was annoyed when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong feet."  She looked, and sure enough, they were.  It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it had been putting them on.  She managed to keep her cool as they worked to get the boots back on, this time on the correct feet.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThen, the little boy announced, "These aren't my boots."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe tried to stay calm and asked, "Why didn't you say so?"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe struggled again to help him pull the boots off.  No sooner had they gotten the boots off than he said, "They're my brother's boots.  My mother made me wear 'em."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe didn't know if she should laugh or cry, but she mustered what grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots back onto his feet again.  Helping him into his coat, she asked, "Now, where are your mittens?"
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHe said, "I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots."
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageShe'll be eligible for parole in three years.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol
Stray Thoughts
Sam Aurelius Milam III
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageGrowth is a temporary condition that cannot be permanently sustained.  This is true of all things, at all times, and in all places. 
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageDon't worry, ladies.  We understand it perfectly.  No means maybe.  Maybe means yes.  Yes goes without saying.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Funds
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy only predicable cash flow ended in July of 2016.  Since then, I've mostly been using what I'd previously saved, which is now mostly gone, plus occasional contributions.  Even though I'm 74 years old and I'm being stingy with my funds, it seems likely that I'm going to outlive them.  If I do, then it's going to be difficult for me to pay for things, including the publication of this newsletter and the maintenance of my websites and domain names.  Things like socks, hand soap, and light bulbs also come to mind.  So, donations are welcome.  Maybe somebody might even buy something from the Moonlight Flea Market.  Please remember that I can't cash checks or money orders.  Cash is best.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

Time
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThis issue marks the completion of 27 years of continuous publication of this newsletter.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

December 2020 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePeace is an ideal we have deduced from the fact that there have been intervals between wars.
—Gwynne Dyer
in the miniseries War
Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  James, of Victorville, California;  Eric, of Ione, California;  and Robert, of Stockton, California.
— editor
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Imagehttp://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

It's Hot and Dry in Georgia
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Dina, of Gainesville, Georgia.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAsphalt roads flow downhill.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageHot water comes from both taps.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's considered to be chilly when the temperature drops below 95º F.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Grammar Advice
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageBe more or less specific.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageIt's wrong to ever split an infinitive.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat).   [Editor's Note:  My all-time favorite is the one that was used by an interrogator who was reporting on the suspect's behavior.  She said, "He sang like a bird, right off the bat."]10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Signs That You're Getting Older
Original Source Unknown.  Forwarded by Don G.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou consider coffee to be one of the most important things in life.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageYou no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
•15x5 Page Background GIF ImageThe end of your tie doesn't come anywhere near the top of your pants. 10x5 Page Background GIF ImageInfinity Symbol

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageAvailability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageCancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageReprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageSubmissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF ImagePayment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 December 2020

15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue