Back to the Frontiersman Directory
PDF Version of This Issue With Links
PDF Version of This Issue to Print
15x15 White Space GIF Image
Eagle 3
Frontiersman, November 2018
Sell Phones
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I have an old-style telephone answering machine in my office.  It doesn’t have a USB port or any wireless capabilities.  The only connections that it has are one for power, one for the old-style land line, and one for the telephone.  I turned off the ringer in the telephone, so I don’t have to listen to it ring.  I  know that I’m receiving a message when I hear somebody leaving one.  If I want to talk, then I can pick up the telephone.  If not, then I can erase the message.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image On Tuesday, July 19, 2022, I walked into my office and saw that the message light was blinking on my answering machine.  I played the message.  It wasn’t an incoming call.  It was a recording of a conversation between the owner of the property where I’m presently staying, and one of her neighbors.  I brought the owner to my office, where she listened to the recording and confirmed that the conversation had taken place an hour or so earlier, in her dining room.  How the conversation got from her dining room to my answering machine was a mystery.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image We pondered the situation.  There’s an internet modem in her dining room, a few feet from were the conversation took place, but it didn’t seem likely to me that an internet modem would include a microphone.  However, my land line goes through the internet modem, so we considered it.  The problems with the theory were that, if the modem listened to the conversation and sent it to a remote location, via the land line, then why would my answering machine have interpreted it as an incoming call, and recorded it?  If the modem sent the message via the broadband connection, then why would whoever was at the remote location send the message back to me, via the land line, for my answering machine to record?  The theory didn’t make any sense.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Across the dining room, through the kitchen, around a corner, and through a door, there’s an Alexa.  Those things are always listening, but this recording was loud and clear, without any echo or fading such as might be expected when a microphone is a long distance from whatever is being recorded.  The Alexa connects to the internet modem, but the same questions apply.  Why would my telephone answering machine detect an outgoing transmission from the Alexa and record it as an incoming call?  If the message went out via broadband, then why would whoever was receiving it send it back to me, via the land line?  Neither of the two theories made any sense.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image We wondered if maybe there was a hidden listening device somewhere in her dining room.  I made some silly joke about speaking clearly into the flower arrangement, the electrical outlets, or the smoke alarm.  After some consideration, we wondered about the neighbor.  If she’d been carrying her cell phone in her hip pocket, then maybe she butt-dialed the land line telephone number during the conversation.  It seemed unlikely that she’d just happen to butt-dial that particular number, out of all of the numbers that she probably has in her cell phone, and that she’d dial it at that particular time, but we asked her anyway.  She confirmed that her cell phone had been in her pocket during the visit.  She checked her record of calls and, sure enough, her cell phone had made a call to the land line on the date in question.  The record of calls didn’t give the time of the call, but it was still a reasonably believable and mostly innocuous answer to the mystery.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Of course, butt-dialing a cell phone isn’t necessarily innocuous.  Imagine butt-dialing your wife, during a rendezvous with your girlfriend.  Imagine butt-dialing the secretary, while you’re describing her to your buddies at the gym.  Imagine butt-dialing the auditors, during a meeting of the board of directors.  A cell phone should always be disabled when it isn’t actually being used.  To rephrase an old proverb, there’s many a slip twixt lip and hip.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My cell phone sits on a shelf in the room next to my office, with its battery removed.  I install the battery and turn on the cell phone only if I actually need to use it for something.  I'm usually capable of getting through the day without it.  Somebody else who does the same thing with his cell phone will probably make the same discovery.  The fact is that cell phones aren’t as essential as we’ve been led to believe.  They certainly aren’t as essential to the people who have them as they are to the marketing swindlers who sell them.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
September 2022 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 http://frontiersman.org.uk/
     Page 1

5x5 Page Background GIF Image
International Law, 1889  
John Bouvier
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... With regard to every state, international law only asks whether it be such in reality, whether it actually is invested with the properties of a state.  With forms of government international law has nothing to do.  All forms of government, under which a state can discharge its obligations and duties to others, are, so far as this code is concerned, equally legitimate.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Thus, the rule of non-intervention in the affairs of other states is a well-settled principle of international law....
—from International law
in Bouvier’s Law Dictionary

International Law, 2022
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF ImageUniversal Jurisdiction, bandied about by the new-world-order evangelists, is a blank check for the violation of traditional international law.  It was trumped up by reformers who want to impose their own notions of proper behavior onto the entire world, by meddling in the internal affairs of other nations.  Strangely enough, one thing that might save us from their meddling is the refusal of the so-called rogue states, and others of a similar ilk, to cooperate.  Such states appear to be more stubborn in their defense of traditional international law, at least when it suits their own purposes, than are the so-called modern, liberal democratic states.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Also see A Good Beginning, in the January 2018 issue.

Critical Point, 1965  
Frank Herbert
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase.  This is as true of humans in the finite space of a planetary ecosystem as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask.  The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive.
—from Dune

Critical Point, 1974 
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The longer we wait to solve an environmental problem, the fewer choices we will have.  If we wait long enough, then we probably won’t have to make any choices at all.  However, the resulting environment might be one in which we’re not included.
—Thursday, August 1, 1974
Milam’s Notes
Also see Problem One, in the July 2021 issue.
Thoughtcrime, 1949
George Orwell
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Whether he wrote Down With Big Brother, or whether he refrained from writing it, made no difference.  Whether he went on with the diary, or whether he did not go on with it, made no difference.  The Thought Police would get him just the same.  He had committed — would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper — the essential crime that contained all others in itself.  Thoughtcrime, they called it.
—from 1984

Thoughtcrime, 2022
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image If Alex Jones can be punished for expressing his beliefs, then anybody can be punished for expressing any belief.  It doesn’t matter if the belief being expressed is fake news, a conspiracy theory, hatred, racial prejudice, sexist views, offensive names, separatist propaganda, or anything else.  By definition, if a person can be punished for expressing a belief, then that belief is thoughtcrime.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun
Also see The Bit Left from The Big Lift, in the February 2013 issue, and
The Principles of Liberty, in Pharos.

Letters to the Editor
Dear Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... still working on [name withheld] creating the PDF file regarding my research & proof that the state of Hawaii that was never validly entered into the U.S. via the Newlands Resolution.  [The Newlands Resolution annexed Hawaii as a U.S. territory in 1898.]
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I proved that the vote in the Senate in 1898 was a fraud & that the Congress did not have the authority to even use the joint resolution to bypass a constitutional provision (Article 2, Sec 2).
15x5 Page Background GIF Image This historical fraud must be corrected....
—E. E., a prisoner

15x5 Page Background GIF ImageMy research has provided the same results for other issues.  I’ve demonstrated that the U.S. government doesn’t have any legal, historical, or constitutional validity whatsoever.  Anybody who doubts my conclusions can study my essays under the heading The Supreme Flaw of the Land Essays, in Pharos.
—editor

Hey Sam,
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I just got the new August newsletter that you sent me!  “Thank you”....
15x5 Page Background GIF Image ... But Sam, since I last wrote to you, the quality of this prison food has gotten much worse.  You see the cost of a dozen eggs is now $5.50 and milk is $5.00 a gallon, and hamburger meat is $3.50 per pound, and the
Arrow

Page 2 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 September 2022

ADC can no longer afford to buy it to feed us.  So we haven’t had any eggs in over a month.  And it was about 2 weeks ago that I had a small cup of watered-down diluted milk, and at breakfast they give us a 1/2 cup of watered down diluted apple juice that has no nutritional value, and every day for lunch or dinner we no longer get tea or Kool-Aid, they give us plain water, and they serve us cheap soy meatballs or cheap soy patties, that is so nasty I won’t eat it.  These dirty bastards are now starving us to death.  Sam, it’s now gotten so damned bad we are lucky to get a slice of bologna or some hot dogs to eat on, and we haven’t had any hamburger to eat in 2 months.  And for fruit they give us watered down applesauce.  Sam, can you please print something about all of this and help us spread the word? 
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Sam, I am absolutely for sure there is no way that they could possibly be meeting proper FDA guidelines on nutrition, because I know that as grown men we should be getting at least 12 ounces of milk per day and 6 ounces of undiluted fruit juice per day....
—a prisoner

Current World Population
https://www.census.gov/popclock/world
Population Curve
http://frontiersman.org.uk/Population/Curve.html
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I haven’t tried to verify the prisoner’s story but it seems plausible.  Anybody who wants to investigate the situation can contact the prison.  According to their website, the mailing address is East Arkansas Regional Unit, P.O. Box 970, Marianna, Arkansas 72360.  The telephone number is reported as 870-295-4700 and the fax number as 870-295-6564.  Even if the prisoner’s story is accurate, it doesn’t seem likely that anybody will be able to help him, although there probably isn’t any harm in trying.  Here’s why I’m inclined to believe his story, and why I’m skeptical that he can be helped.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Sometime during the 1970s, I received a request for funds from an agency that was trying to save the starving children.  I wrote to the people at the agency and told them that if they saved the starving children in that generation, then there’d be twice as many starving children in the next generation.  That might not have been exactly accurate, but it was accurate in principle.  While I was writing this editorial reply, I checked with Google.  In answer to my inquiry about how many people in America don’t have enough to eat, Google gave answers ranging from about 14 million to about 41 million.   That seems impossibly high, in America, but those are the numbers that were reported.  Keeping those numbers in mind, I suggest a rereading of my article Problem One, in the July 2021 issue.  As I noted in that article, I don’t have an answer to the problem.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image I’m inclined to believe that the situation reported at the Arkansas Department of Corrections is typical.  I don’t know this for a fact but it seems likely to me that the same situation might exist in the other prisons in America.  In the light of that speculation, I suggest that the prisons in America might reasonably be compared to the well-known story of the canaries in the coal mine.  Maybe we’re all going to run out of food.  All that I can suggest at this point is to hope for the miracles that I mentioned in Problem One, and keep your powder dry.
—editor

Sam
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Keep up the good work.
—Sir Donald the Elusive
According to Heinlein
Sam Aurelius Milam III
15x5 Page Background GIF Image On Monday, August 22, 2022, I watched a PBS NewsHour report about starving people in the Greater Horn of Africa.  The people in the report lived in a tent city that was so huge that, to see all of it, you had to see it from above.  To make the entire place visible, the view was from so high that you couldn’t even tell one tent from the next.  It was huge.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image One woman in the report had eight starving children.  It seems to me that having an eighth child is a stupid thing to do when you already can’t feed the first seven.  Another woman had a child that weighed half of what it should have weighed.  She waited while the WFP man stuffed some nutrition packs into her purse.  Then, she stuffed her cell phone into the purse, on top of the nutrition packs.  It seems really stupid to me to pay for a cell phone when you can’t even afford to feed your baby.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Heinlein warned us to never underestimate the power of human stupidity.  Now, with nearly 8 billion people in the world, and more starving people than we can possibly feed, we’re doing everything possible to feed them anyway.  The only results are to increase the population and the number of starving people.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Heinlein also warned us that good intentions are the cause of more folly than all other causes put together.  There are more consequences of our good intentions than mere starvation.  See Darwin’s Wolf, in the February 2021 issue.  It seems possible to me that the people who’re trying the hardest to help are the stupidest people of them all.10x5 Page Background GIF ImageGun

September 2022 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
     Page 3

Frontiersman
c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive
Gainesville, Georgia  30507

15x5 Page Background GIF Image But you do know that in the greatest wars the Earth ever had there were always more people after the war than before, no matter how many were killed.  Life is not merely persistent ... life is explosive.  The basic theorem of population mathematics to which there has never been found an exception is that population increases always, not merely up to extent of the food supply, but beyond it, to the minimum diet that will sustain life — the ragged edge of starvation.
—from Farmer in the Sky
by Robert A. Heinlein

Flag

Acknowledgments
15x5 Page Background GIF Image My thanks to the following:  El Dorado Bob;  Betty;  Eric, of Stockton, California;  and Sir Donald the Elusive.
— editor
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Websites
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://frontiersman.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://moonlight-flea-market.com/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://pharos.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sam-aurelius-milam-iii.org.uk/
15x5 Page Background GIF Image http://sovereign-library.org.uk/10x5 Page Background GIF Image Gun
15x15 Page Background GIF Image
Failure Analysis
As retold by Sam Aurelius Milam III.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image An old Indian chief sat in his hut on the reservation, smoking a ceremonial pipe, and listening to the two U.S. government officials who’d been sent to interview him.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image “Chief Two Eagles,” said one official, “you have observed the white man for 90 years.  You’ve seen his wars and his material wealth.  You’ve seen his progress, and the damage he’s done.”  The chief nodded in agreement.  The official continued, “Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?”
15x5 Page Background GIF Image The chief stared at the government officials for a while and then calmly replied, “When white man found the land, Indians were running it.  No taxes, no debt, plenty of buffalo, plenty of beaver, women did all the work, medicine man was free, Indian man spent all day hunting and fishing, and all night having sex.”
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Then the chief leaned back and smiled.  “White man stupid enough to think that he could improve on a system like that.”  Gun

Frontiersman
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Availability — Assuming the availability of sufficient funds, subscriptions to this newsletter in print, copies of past issues in print, and copies of the website on CDs are available upon request.  Funding for this newsletter is from sources over which I don't have any control, so it might become necessary for me to terminate these offers or to cancel one or more subscriptions at any time, without notice.  All past issues are presently available for free download at the internet address shown below.  Contributions are welcome.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Cancellations — If you don't want to keep receiving printed copies of this newsletter, then return your copy unopened.  When I receive it, I'll terminate your subscription.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Reprint Policy — Permission is hereby given to reproduce this newsletter in its entirety or to reproduce material from it, provided that the reproduction is accurate and that proper credit is given.  I do not have the authority to give permission to reprint material that I have reprinted from other sources.  For that permission, you must apply to the original source.  I would appreciate receiving a courtesy copy of any document or publication in which you reprint my material.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Submissions — I consider letters, articles, and cartoons for the newsletter, but I don't pay for them.  Short items are more likely to be printed.  I suggest that letters and articles be shorter than 500 words but that's flexible depending on space available and the content of the piece.
15x5 Page Background GIF Image Payment — This newsletter isn't for sale.  If you want to make a voluntary contribution, then I prefer cash or U.S. postage stamps.  For checks or money orders, please inquire.  You can use editor@frontiersman.org.uk for PayPal payments.  In case anybody's curious, I also accept gold, silver, platinum, etc.  I don't accept anything that requires me to provide ID to receive it.
— Sam Aurelius Milam III, editor
In the situation comedy Leave it to Beaver, how could the network censors have failed to notice the “off-color” meaning of the term beaver cleaver?

Page 4 Frontiersman,0c/o 4984 Peach Mountain Drive, Gainesville, Georgia  30507
 September 2022
15x15 White Space gif Image
15x15 White Space gif Image
Back to the Frontiersman Directory
Back to the Beginning of This Issue